[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319633 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2450 on: June 10, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »
Most NFL contracts are not "guaranteed." They usually are front-loaded with a signing bonus, but then have little to no guarantees.

For example, McCaffrey becoming the "highest paid back in the NFL" sounds impressive. But he still has 2 years left on his current deal, his new one doesn't kick in until 2022, and he will be 30 by the time it ends. Heck, it's possible that he won't even play Year 2 of his new contract, let alone for the entirety of it.

So yeah ... Kaepernick declined his 2017 player option, but he was not guaranteed anything for that 2017 season anyway, and it appeared he would get cut to save salary cap and to rid the team of an "agitator."

As the Business Insider article said:

The contract gave Kaepernick a $12.3 million signing bonus and a 2014 salary of just $645,000. Those were the only truly guaranteed portions of the contract, despite reports that Kaepernick's deal included a record $61 million in "guaranteed" money. It turned out the $61 million was only guaranteed if he were to suffer a career-ending injury.

Each year of the contract after the first, the 49ers were free to cut Kaepernick and not owe him any more money.

That's SOP in the NFL. Anytime anybody reads about an NFL contract, eyebrows should be raised about what it actually pays the athlete.

Kaepernick was blackballed, plain and simple. Of course he "brought it on himself." It was his decision to lead a movement, one the NFL was not yet ready for, and he wasn't always a great spokesperson for that movement. But let's not pretend he wasn't blackballed because of it.

Thanks for your obsession with me and pulling out a quote that sultan had just linked to the article.

Must be nice to have so much free time as a househusband.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2451 on: June 10, 2020, 12:19:05 PM »
Thanks for your obsession with me and pulling out a quote that sultan had just linked to the article.

Must be nice to have so much free time as a househusband.

I wasn't responding to you, Mr. Obsessive. I was in a conversation with reasonable people making reasonable points. You might want to try it sometime.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2452 on: June 10, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
Eye'm guessin' Kap duzant got nothin' left in his tank ta offer NFL teems, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2453 on: June 10, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »

Seriously, Doc ... if you look at the list of backup QBs in the NFL, you don't think he could be one?

For example, the Panthers' backup is a kid they drafted last year who began the year as a third-stringer, moved up due to injuries, and then looked completely lost the one game he played at the end of the season after having taken part in every meeting and practice all year. I would take Kaepernick over Greer in a heartbeat -- or at least would like to see Kaepernick get the chance to earn the backup job over Greer.

That's all assuming Kaepernick was willing to take backup pay and vie for a backup job, which he might not. That's certainly part of all this. But to say he simply isn't good enough to be one of the NFL's best 64 quarterbacks ... that seems a little presumptuous, oona?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2454 on: June 10, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »

Yeah ... 32 years old is ancient for a quarterback.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2455 on: June 10, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
Seriously, Doc ... if you look at the list of backup QBs in the NFL, you don't think he could be one?

For example, the Panthers' backup is a kid they drafted last year who began the year as a third-stringer, moved up due to injuries, and then looked completely lost the one game he played at the end of the season after having taken part in every meeting and practice all year. I would take Kaepernick over Greer in a heartbeat -- or at least would like to see Kaepernick get the chance to earn the backup job over Greer.

That's all assuming Kaepernick was willing to take backup pay and vie for a backup job, which he might not. That's certainly part of all this. But to say he simply isn't good enough to be one of the NFL's best 64 quarterbacks ... that seems a little presumptuous, oona?

that's all fine and good 82, but "extra baggage is all part of the deal.  let's say you are the best university professor in the world, but ya just tweeted out "all lives mater" or i would never kneel for the national anthem.  are schools bangin on your door to bring you in?
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2456 on: June 10, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
  that's all fine and good 82, but "extra baggage is all part of the deal.  let's say you are the best university professor in the world, but ya just tweeted out "all lives mater" or i would never kneel for the national anthem.  are schools bangin on your door to bring you in?

Do failed sportswriter next.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2457 on: June 10, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »

The point is what he did shouldn't have been considered "baggage" to begin with. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2458 on: June 10, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
Do failed sportswriter next.

Your obsession with me is beyond weird. I ignore you except for when you say something about me, but you can't help yourself.

Your bullying tactics won't work any better than your buddy BJ's did.

Hey man, I know you don't like me, and I'm beyond caring about that. I tried having a discussion with you via PM so we didn't do this within threads, but you blew me off.

Anyway, whatever you might perceive my faults might be, at least I didn't use The Last Dance comment stream to make a racist comment about Jordan.

Wonder when the series will get to MJ and all the white women he was with while still married to Juanita.

So congrats for having that character-revealing statement on your resume. It's always good to know who the racists are.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2459 on: June 10, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
And he walked away from a guaranteed contract with the 49ers.

The 49ers told him they were going to cut him, but gave him a chance to opt out first.
John Lynch later confirmed this.
"We gave him the option: 'You can opt out, we can release you, whatever.' And he chose to opt out, but that was just a formality."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2460 on: June 10, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
Kap hasn't played competitively in 4 years. There isn't enough WD-40 to get that machine hummin' again, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2461 on: June 10, 2020, 01:36:10 PM »
Your obsession with me is beyond weird. I ignore you except for when you say something about me, but you can't help yourself.

Your bullying tactics won't work any better than your buddy BJ's did.

Hey man, I know you don't like me, and I'm beyond caring about that. I tried having a discussion with you via PM so we didn't do this within threads, but you blew me off.

Anyway, whatever you might perceive my faults might be, at least I didn't use The Last Dance comment stream to make a racist comment about Jordan.

So congrats for having that character-revealing statement on your resume. It's always good to know who the racists are.

Poor nads, everyone is always picking on him.

You ain't no angel either.

*inventor of slut shaming.  (EA says hi.)
*ghoul that wishes death upon entire US cities.
*subject to multiple bans, because you lack maturity and self control.

I really dont give a shït what you or anyone else thinks.  Unlike the super smart and serious crew, this all an act for me.  This place has been and will be a joke, and I treat it as such.

But keep patting yourselves on the back, smart people.  You guys got it all figured out.  Enjoy the leftwing circlejerk that you've created for yourself.   

As for nads, I will miss your amusing antidotes about your wife, having a beer with your fellow emasculated buddies, and your views on MyPantherstm.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: June 10, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
As for nads, I will miss your amusing antidotes about your wife, having a beer with your fellow emasculated buddies, and your views on MyPantherstm.

See ya. Enjoy hanging out with your racist friends.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2463 on: June 10, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »

I really dont give a shït what you or anyone else thinks.  Unlike the super smart and serious crew, this all an act for me.  This place has been and will be a joke, and I treat it as such.

But keep patting yourselves on the back, smart people.  You guys got it all figured out.  Enjoy the leftwing circlejerk that you've created for yourself.   

Who woulda thunk that being called a racist after making a racist comment would set you off so.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2464 on: June 10, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »
Wow.

What happened here?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2465 on: June 10, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »

Maybe take a break, bud. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2466 on: June 10, 2020, 04:02:01 PM »
It’s not Ziggy’s fault.  If the crazy lefts on here wouldn’t make him post, he wouldn’t do it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2467 on: June 10, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
I feel for Ziggy.   I remember when I was defending CK and the righty circle jerk was in full roar.  Very frustrating.   Not my style to lash out.   I tend to walk away.   But I understand the impulse. 

Right now the board isn't fun for him because the political winds are blowing against him.   And politics of COVID and protests have taken over the board.   

I think this highlights the wisdom of the mods banning politics prior to 3 months ago.   Egos are getting bruised.  Lines are being drawn.   We aren't ever going to be able to read a post about MU basketball without remembering for a second political  insults that were hurled.

Hang in there Ziggy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2468 on: June 10, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
Kap hasn't played competitively in 4 years. There isn't enough WD-40 to get that machine hummin' again, hey?

Some people have fought and bled for something enduring and real.

Freedom ain't free, hey Doc?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2469 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »

Hey rocket. I specifically acknowledged his baggage and said I could see why it would be an issue. So not sure what you're arguing with me about here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2470 on: June 10, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »

Yeah equality and justice ain’t enduring or real. Keep minorities oppressed please!

::)  :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2471 on: June 11, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »

Exactly.

Thank you for fighting for Colin Kaepernick's right to protest.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2472 on: June 11, 2020, 08:53:15 AM »

Imperialism is Freedom now? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2473 on: June 11, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
Always have to fight for your right to not have your neck knelt on for 8:46.

CK's kneeling was always about BLM.   Everything else was a creation of the echo chamber.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2474 on: June 11, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »
Outside Panthers stadium stood a statue of former owner Jerry Richardson, who was forced to sell the team a few years back because of numerous racist and sexist words and deeds.

His statue was just removed from the stadium gates, and it will not return.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article243442916.html?

Good riddance.

feedback