[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319621 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2325 on: April 27, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Pakuni, when you said they shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2326 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
I don't find grades to be a bad thing this early.

As we see, I think most Scoopers are smart enough to know that they are simply a snapshot in time.  We (and the draft experts) don't really know. For the most part, the grades are what these "experts" see as far as the draftees making their team better NEXT year.

So, of course the Packers' grades would be among the lowest in the league. They drafted for the future as none of these guys will make any difference this fall. I don't agree with what they did, but we won't know if their draft was a success until we see what Love does 5 years from now. So it could be anywhere from a total bust draft (if Love is a bust) to a great draft if he becomes a star.

5 yeers ta judge, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2327 on: April 27, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
Ahh yes. Draft grades the day after the draft. Those always go great!

Something to mildly be excited about for a team that over the years doesn’t shine on or off the field in most years.  They mean something in April, not much come September.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2328 on: April 27, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
Something to mildly be excited about for a team that over the years doesn’t shine on or off the field in most years.  They mean something in April, not much come September.

They mean nothing in April. SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, whoever could’ve given the Packers an A and it wouldn’t have changed my mind one bit that the Packers’ draft stunk this year (though I like Dillon). Hopefully I’m wrong here. But I didn’t spend one second looking at any team’s draft grades.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2330 on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2331 on: April 28, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »
Rumor is that McGinn doesn’t have the connections he used to during the Thompson / McCarthy era. (Specifically the Eliot Wolf era.) Not saying he’s wrong, anything he says should not be believed like it used to.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2332 on: April 28, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
Rumor is that McGinn doesn’t have the connections he used to during the Thompson / McCarthy era. (Specifically the Eliot Wolf era.) Not saying he’s wrong, anything he says should not be believed like it used to.

From what I remember he ran a piece about a D lineman (can’t remember which one) and his checkered past and that was very damning towards the Packers. Basically called them out for being on a high horse while I’m reality if you produced they were no different than any organizations in their willingness to look the other way. I think that soured the relationship and McGinn has seemingly had it out for them since (which is fine, he was just doing his job).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2333 on: April 28, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
From what I remember he ran a piece about a D lineman (can’t remember which one) and his checkered past and that was very damning towards the Packers. Basically called them out for being on a high horse while I’m reality if you produced they were no different than any organizations in their willingness to look the other way. I think that soured the relationship and McGinn has seemingly had it out for them since (which is fine, he was just doing his job).

Johnny Jolly, I believe. It actually felt like fair criticism at the time. But it feels wildly separated from today's politics to feel anything but sorry for these guys with drug addiction issues. Especially what we now know about NFL practices.

But for the draft, he has always relied on scout takes that are great for attention quotes, but dip into a lot of outmoded stereotypes and scouting cliches and generally lack in substance.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2334 on: April 28, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »
McGinn is as well connected to the league as any football writer.

• All American
« Reply #2335 on: April 29, 2020, 07:44:33 AM »
McGinn is as well connected to the league as any football writer.

I think this was a much more accurate statement ten years ago than it is today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2336 on: April 29, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
I think this was a much more accurate statement ten years ago than it is today.

Correct.  McGinn is basically a hack at this point in his career.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2337 on: April 29, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
They mean nothing in April. SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, whoever could’ve given the Packers an A and it wouldn’t have changed my mind one bit that the Packers’ draft stunk this year (though I like Dillon). Hopefully I’m wrong here. But I didn’t spend one second looking at any team’s draft grades.

If they mean nothing there sure are a lot of sports media types that bother to go through the exercise.  Fans and teams that buy more season tickets as a result of a quality draft and the surge of purchases immediately after by some teams.

They mean more than nothing but agree they get overhyped.  Who cares, it is the offseason and fans are excited about the new talent that comes in.  Ultimately how you play between the lines matters and time judges if the teams picks were well done.
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2338 on: April 29, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
If they mean nothing there sure are a lot of sports media types that bother to go through the exercise.  Fans and teams that buy more season tickets as a result of a quality draft and the surge of purchases immediately after by some teams.

They mean more than nothing but agree they get overhyped.  Who cares, it is the offseason and fans are excited about the new talent that comes in.  Ultimately how you play between the lines matters and time judges if the teams picks were well done.

All they really mean is clicks to webpages and ratings on TV shows.  Aka ad revenue.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2339 on: April 29, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »

Disagree, Hards.

He always had respect around the league, as well as a deep well of connections, but working for The Athletic gives a writer more cachet than being local.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2340 on: April 29, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »

Kind of like Woeful had good Bucks connections for a time, but was god awful about college basketball and anything else, but that didn't stop him from writing on it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2341 on: April 29, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »

People are buying season tickets based on how SI or ESPN grades their draft?  LOL!  I'm thinking it's more likely they're buying season tickets because they land Joe Burrow or Tua, whether SI or ESPN considers those A+ or D- selections.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2342 on: April 29, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »
UW-Milwaukee has a kid in the NFL i just found out

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrDe03.htm

Played on the club team there

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2343 on: April 29, 2020, 11:10:13 PM »
People are buying season tickets based on how SI or ESPN grades their draft?  LOL!  I'm thinking it's more likely they're buying season tickets because they land Joe Burrow or Tua, whether SI or ESPN considers those A+ or D- selections.

Aren't they part of the same calculus?   If a team has an excellent draft and it is because of guys like Burrow and the rest of the picks, what is the difference?  The fans are excited about the new crop of players and willing to buy more tickets.  They hear about how good the draft class is from their favorite football talking head who tells them the team just had their best draft in years, or hauled in an A class led by phenom QB or WR.   All interconnected.  Remember, fans aren't rational.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2344 on: April 29, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
Aren't they part of the same calculus?   If a team has an excellent draft and it is because of guys like Burrow and the rest of the picks, what is the difference?  The fans are excited about the new crop of players and willing to buy more tickets.  They hear about how good the draft class is from their favorite football talking head who tells them the team just had their best draft in years, or hauled in an A class led by phenom QB or WR.   All interconnected.  Remember, fans aren't rational.

I stand by what I said. The big name player sells tickets. The SI or ESPN grade does not.

For example, the Tua pick got a B from SI while Jederrick Wills got an A. I’m guessing more season tickets were sold as a result of the Tua pick than the Wills pick, SI grades be damned.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2345 on: April 30, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »
UW-Milwaukee has a kid in the NFL i just found out

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrDe03.htm

Played on the club team there

He was a basketball played, he just trained with and worked out with the club team before his NFL workouts. Similar situation to Antonio Gates. Also like Jimmy Graham but he played a 5th year in FB, after basketball, like Greg Paulus. SF/PF translates well to the TE position. I had a guy I went to college with who was a SF. He got an agent to look for opportunities to play in Asia and Europe and the agency actually had him train for looks as a TE for a year, got him a few tryouts.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2346 on: May 02, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
Bears decline Trubisky’s fifth year option.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2347 on: May 02, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Lions declined e the 5th year option on Jarrad Davis.   Starting MLB.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2348 on: May 02, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
Bears decline Trubisky’s fifth year option.

Wow ... that went pretty fast from "HE'S OUR QB, DAMMIT" to "SEE YA LATER."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #2349 on: May 02, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
Pace better hope for a turnaround quick. Although I guess he can still throw Nagy under the bus to get a couple more years.

feedback