[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319679 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2300 on: April 25, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Pretty sure the Bears jumped GB to take Mooney.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: April 25, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »
This draft has been much better to watch from a production standpoint than any draft I can remember. I like not having to see some young kid and his family sit in the green room and be embarrassed (?) when they fall. Love seeing the front office staffs at their homes (or yachts). It’s a very personable production, flows much better, a lot less pomp and circumstance is fine by me.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
This draft has been much better to watch from a production standpoint than any draft I can remember. I like not having to see some young kid and his family sit in the green room and be embarrassed (?) when they fall. Love seeing the front office staffs at their homes (or yachts). It’s a very personable production, flows much better, a lot less pomp and circumstance is fine by me.

10-4 Brother Dish. Really loved Bill Belichek's dog at the New England draft central! That was priceless.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: April 25, 2020, 04:52:24 PM »
So much for Pace drafting a QB every year until they get one. Really doubling down on the Nick Foles/Mitch Trubisky combo.

At least take a flyer on Anthony Gordon...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: April 25, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
So much for Pace drafting a QB every year until they get one. Really doubling down on the Nick Foles/Mitch Trubisky combo.

At least take a flyer on Anthony Gordon...

UDFA

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2305 on: April 25, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
So in a year where the packers badly need a WR and we keep hearing about a deep wr draft class the packers get zero.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2306 on: April 25, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
So in a year where the packers badly need a WR and we keep hearing about a deep wr draft class the packers get zero.

Packers are shifting to a running team.  LeFleur was always big on the run.  See the success of Baltimore, Tenn and SF and it is easy to see the shift GB is making.  Instead of passing to open up the run we will now see old school run to open up the pass. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: April 25, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »
Packers are shifting to a running team.  LeFleur was always big on the run.  See the success of Baltimore, Tenn and SF and it is easy to see the shift GB is making.  Instead of passing to open up the run we will now see old school run to open up the pass.

But we traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes so...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2308 on: April 25, 2020, 10:11:42 PM »
Given that the Bears gave away one of the 10 best tight ends in NFL history back in 2011, it's pretty funny that they now have 10 tight ends on their roster.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2309 on: April 26, 2020, 06:40:33 AM »

Pete Fiutak
@PeteFiutak
·
4h
Southern Illinois S Jeremy Chinn was the only player from an Illinois school selected in the #2020NFLDraft.

More players were selected from North Dakota, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Mexico, Idaho and Wyoming - than from any of the Illinois FBS programs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »
Given that the Bears gave away one of the 10 best tight ends in NFL history back in 2011, it's pretty funny that they now have 10 tight ends on their roster.

Just trying to atone for the crimes of Mike Martz

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: April 26, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »
Pete Fiutak
@PeteFiutak
·
4h
Southern Illinois S Jeremy Chinn was the only player from an Illinois school selected in the #2020NFLDraft.

More players were selected from North Dakota, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Mexico, Idaho and Wyoming - than from any of the Illinois FBS programs.

I mean, that's not a surprise. Northwestern has had some success in recent years getting guys to teh NFL but Illinois is far from a football state.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2312 on: April 26, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
I mean, that's not a surprise. Northwestern has had some success in recent years getting guys to teh NFL but Illinois is far from a football state.

They have seven division one football programs.  One player drafted.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: April 26, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
Pete Fiutak
@PeteFiutak
·
4h

Panthers traded up to draft Chinn, giving up 5th round pick to move up 5 spots. So I obviously hope they know what they're doing. He looks like a heck of an athlete.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2314 on: April 26, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Smoking Jay and Kristin Cavallari are getting divorced.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2315 on: April 26, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
Pete Fiutak
@PeteFiutak
·
4h

And yet the Illini still beat Bucky.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2316 on: April 26, 2020, 11:08:03 PM »
Smoking Jay and Kristin Cavallari are getting divorced.

I will to burn my paperback of Balancing in Heels: My Journey to Health, Happiness, and Making it all Work by Kristin Cavalari

In other news, Cardinals rated 4th best draft and selected best overall player (Simmons).   
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: April 26, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »
I will to burn my paperback of Balancing in Heels: My Journey to Health, Happiness, and Making it all Work by Kristin Cavalari

In other news, Cardinals rated 4th best draft and selected best overall player (Simmons).

Ahh yes. Draft grades the day after the draft. Those always go great!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: April 27, 2020, 07:10:59 AM »

Big Laguna Beach fan?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: April 27, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
Here's an interesting, sometimes-amusing take on the draft from the LA Times' Sam Farmer, who shares 32 observations:

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/sam-farmer-the-reality-is-the-virtual-nfl-draft-format-was-great-and-31-other/article_b9654d7c-87f3-11ea-bcd0-6f8b4a4dbca7.html

Two of my favorites:

++ After watching NFL general managers draft from home, this much is undeniable: These guys have very high ceilings.

++ Weird how the mom of Iowa tackle Tristan Wirfs was wearing a faded #LFG T-shirt before the draft. That’s Tom Brady’s signature hashtag and stands for “Let’s … Go.” Then Wirfs, who could have gone much earlier, was drafted 13th by Tampa Bay to block for Brady.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: April 27, 2020, 08:54:26 AM »
Ahh yes. Draft grades the day after the draft. Those always go great!

Now why would you say that?

8. Christian McCaffrey, RB Stanford — Carolina Panthers
Grade: D+
Analysis: McCaffrey will be make the Panthers offense better. Like Darren Sproles, he’ll make an impact on all four downs. But is he worth a No. 8 pick? I’m not so sure. You can get a good running back in the later rounds. Dalvin Cook may end up a better NFL running back and he didn’t even go in the first round.

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)
Grade: C-
Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

12. Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson — Houston Texans (from CLE via PHI)
Grade: C+
Analysis: The Texans finally get their quarterback of the future. Or so they think. I’m not so sure Watson will ever develop into a top QB, but he’ll be an improvement over what they’ve had in Houston the last few years. That’s not saying a whole lot. The Clemson star needs to hit the deep ball more consistently and do a better job of reading defenses.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-results

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: April 27, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Now why would you say that?

8. Christian McCaffrey, RB Stanford — Carolina Panthers
Grade: D+
Analysis: McCaffrey will be make the Panthers offense better. Like Darren Sproles, he’ll make an impact on all four downs. But is he worth a No. 8 pick? I’m not so sure. You can get a good running back in the later rounds. Dalvin Cook may end up a better NFL running back and he didn’t even go in the first round.

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)
Grade: C-
Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

12. Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson — Houston Texans (from CLE via PHI)
Grade: C+
Analysis: The Texans finally get their quarterback of the future. Or so they think. I’m not so sure Watson will ever develop into a top QB, but he’ll be an improvement over what they’ve had in Houston the last few years. That’s not saying a whole lot. The Clemson star needs to hit the deep ball more consistently and do a better job of reading defenses.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-results

Thank God we have Draft grades in this time of Covid 19. We don’t even need to play the games and risk the health of people involved. Just check out random draft grades. The Cardinals killed it! Simulated 2020 Super Bowl Champs! The Arizona Cardinals/Chicago Cubs fan (huh?) is all set!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: April 27, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
Great find, Pakuni.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2323 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:54 AM »
I don't find grades to be a bad thing this early.

As we see, I think most Scoopers are smart enough to know that they are simply a snapshot in time.  We (and the draft experts) don't really know. For the most part, the grades are what these "experts" see as far as the draftees making their team better NEXT year.

So, of course the Packers' grades would be among the lowest in the league. They drafted for the future as none of these guys will make any difference this fall. I don't agree with what they did, but we won't know if their draft was a success until we see what Love does 5 years from now. So it could be anywhere from a total bust draft (if Love is a bust) to a great draft if he becomes a star.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: April 27, 2020, 11:22:10 AM »
I don't find grades to be a bad thing this early.

As we see, I think most Scoopers are smart enough to know that they are simply a snapshot in time.  We (and the draft experts) don't really know. For the most part, the grades are what these "experts" see as far as the draftees making their team better NEXT year.

So, of course the Packers' grades would be among the lowest in the league. They drafted for the future as none of these guys will make any difference this fall. I don't agree with what they did, but we won't know if their draft was a success until we see what Love does 5 years from now. So it could be anywhere from a total bust draft (if Love is a bust) to a great draft if he becomes a star.

I'm not sure if it's all about next year. The Dolphins are getting good grades for taking Tua, and he may not even see the field next year, for example. Same with the Ravens for taking Dobbins, who likely will be a backup next season.

I don't mind the draft grades at all. They just shouldn't be taken too seriously. The biggest problem is that they're based almost entirely on how the Kipers. McShays, Bruglers, etc., of the world rank these guys and their values, as opposed to the teams.
 I don't mind those guys and think for the most part they do decent work, but the reality is they can't possibly do as much work on these players that NFL teams do, nor do they have the same access to information as the teams. That's even more of an issue this year, when media guys couldn't hang around pro days to get tips on where plays stand with the teams.

feedback