[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319771 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2250 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
So, who won the Khalil Mack trade?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2251 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
I’m starting to wonder if he’s someone that wants to play into his 40s. Based on the concussions and collarbone injuries, he may one day announce retirement out of the blue.

I don’t think he’s distracted from football, but just wondering if he’s ready to move onto the next phase of his life.

He's also clearly on the decline.  I have spent some of my quarantine time watching various games that have been uploaded to Youtube and it is very, very obvious that he isn't what he used to be.  Now he is still very good don't get me wrong, and he doesn't have the receiving corps he used to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks "washed up" in a year or two.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #2252 on: April 24, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
The Packers used a similar value pick on Rodgers back in 2005.  The Packers were coming off a Wild Card playoff loss, and the time was ticking on Favre's career.  The next year sucked, going 4-12 in Sherman's last year, but they were in the NFC Championship Game two year after that.  And Rodgers had no impact in any of those years.

Moral of the story?  It doesn't matter if their window is right now.  Not every player has to be in that window.  Let's see what happens the right of the draft and the rest of the off-season.

I have no idea if Love is the guy or not.  I'm not smart enough to know if that's the case or not.  But Rodgers has 2, maybe 3 years left in a Packers uniform in my opinion.  If they feel *that* strongly about Love, it's not a terrible pick.
I think that's a fair assessment.  Rodgers is 36, declining in arm and mobility for sure.  Pack are in a position now to watch him walk in 3 years or so similar to what Favre and Brady did.  As much as I want an impact player for A-rod right now, I can see the business side of the decision as it attempts to set the team up for the future.  Have to think about the future at some point but still hard to accept

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: April 24, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »

He's also clearly on the decline.  I have spent some of my quarantine time watching various games that have been uploaded to Youtube and it is very, very obvious that he isn't what he used to be.  Now he is still very good don't get me wrong, and he doesn't have the receiving corps he used to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks "washed up" in a year or two.

Aaron Nagler is someone I like to follow on Twitter. He’s tough on Rodgers, but I wouldn’t say unfair. Rodgers footwork and fundamentals have really deteriorated. It’s really affected his accuracy. Also, not taking an underneath route that’s open has always frustrated me.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: April 24, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
The Packers used a similar value pick on Rodgers back in 2005.  The Packers were coming off a Wild Card playoff loss, and the time was ticking on Favre's career.  The next year sucked, going 4-12 in Sherman's last year, but they were in the NFC Championship Game two year after that.  And Rodgers had no impact in any of those years.

Moral of the story?  It doesn't matter if their window is right now.  Not every player has to be in that window.  Let's see what happens the right of the draft and the rest of the off-season.

I have no idea if Love is the guy or not.  I'm not smart enough to know if that's the case or not.  But Rodgers has 2, maybe 3 years left in a Packers uniform in my opinion.  If they feel *that* strongly about Love, it's not a terrible pick.
Agree. If they think Love is the guy and was the best value, then its ok. Still not crazy about it, but I understand it.

Fans want instant gratification, but a good GM plans for stability of the future. We will see in a few years how it plays out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2255 on: April 24, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
Aaron Nagler is someone I like to follow on Twitter. He’s tough on Rodgers, but I wouldn’t say unfair. Rodgers footwork and fundamentals have really deteriorated. It’s really affected his accuracy. Also, not taking an underneath route that’s open has always frustrated me.

He looked washed up at times last season. Missed a ton of easy throws. For three quarters of that game at Detroit last year it was like the Monstars took his talent.

I think Gutey would rather keep a guy one year too short than too long, and I'm expecting a trade if Rodgers in the next two years.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2256 on: April 24, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »
He looked washed up at times last season. Missed a ton of easy throws. For three quarters of that game at Detroit last year it was like the Monstars took his talent.

I think Gutey would rather keep a guy one year too short than too long, and I'm expecting a trade if Rodgers in the next two years.

Even with Rodgers’ decline, GB only has 3 playmakers. Looks like 2 of them will be gone soon. Gutsy has yet to show that he has the ability to draft good players.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: April 24, 2020, 12:36:14 PM »
From an amateur sports psychologist point of view, it will be interesting to see how Rodgers reacts.  The conventional wisdom has been that he played with a chip on his shoulder because of how far he fell on the draft board and how Favre treated him.  If he feels disrespected, will that chip return and he returns to glory? 
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2258 on: April 24, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
The Packers used a similar value pick on Rodgers back in 2005. The Packers were coming off a Wild Card playoff loss, and the time was ticking on Favre's career.  The next year sucked, going 4-12 in Sherman's last year, but they were in the NFC Championship Game two year after that.  And Rodgers had no impact in any of those years.

We're going to disagree here.  Rodgers was supposed to go 1 or 2.  He landed in the Packers lap at 24.  That is a bit different than trading up for the 4th QB to be taken.  I get that the Packers must like something about him, but talent evaluation under Gunte has been suspect at best.  How do we think Love will be different from Brett Hundley?  Don't they check a lot of the same boxes?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: April 24, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »

• All American
« Reply #2260 on: April 24, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
We're going to disagree here.  Rodgers was supposed to go 1 or 2.  He landed in the Packers lap at 24.  That is a bit different than trading up for the 4th QB to be taken.  I get that the Packers must like something about him, but talent evaluation under Gunte has been suspect at best.  How do we think Love will be different from Brett Hundley?  Don't they check a lot of the same boxes?

I meant similar value = late first round.   That's it.

I don't know enough about how quarterbacks translate to the NFL to suggest any more than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2261 on: April 24, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
Packers biggest weakness is at inside linebacker. The 2 players taken after Love were ILBs.

Gonna be a lot of looking back at that next year (and the year after).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2262 on: April 24, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Now that Carolina drafted Derrick Brown, I'm sensing a lot of fear of the Panthers on the board here. Trying to decide if this means 16-0 this season or just a more realistic 15-1.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28:38 PM »
Colin called it two months ago.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn and such...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TJZqPS9UGc
Ludum habemus.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2264 on: April 24, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
Colin called it two months ago.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn and such...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TJZqPS9UGc

Colin also recorded a show where he did a segment saying the Packers would be crazy to draft a QB.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2265 on: April 24, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »
Colin also recorded a show where he did a segment saying the Packers would be crazy to draft a QB.

Oh, I'm not a fan, hence my blind squirrel comment.  But it's amusing. 
Ludum habemus.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2266 on: April 24, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
Lots of WRs coming off the board early. Rodgers is going to get no help.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2267 on: April 24, 2020, 06:35:32 PM »
Lots of WRs coming off the board early. Rodgers is going to get no help.

Packers need Mims.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2268 on: April 24, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
I did not feel RB was a position of need for the Lions.   Would have liked to see a DL.    Then again, based on recent history of Lion running backs, he will get seriously injured by the end of October.    And it will be on to one of the others. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2269 on: April 24, 2020, 07:12:05 PM »
Packers need Mims.

I agree. I’m glad Kmart is gone as he is the guy I was scared Gutey was gonna draft.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2270 on: April 24, 2020, 07:14:31 PM »
I did not feel RB was a position of need for the Lions.   Would have liked to see a DL.    Then again, based on recent history of Lion running backs, he will get seriously injured by the end of October.    And it will be on to one of the others.

Funny. As I was watching, I said to myself that the Lions weren’t smart enough to draft Swift. I thought it was a no-brainer.

I realize they may have had bigger needs, but don’t pass on a guy that good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2271 on: April 24, 2020, 07:15:22 PM »
Yeah, I get that angle, too.   We shall see.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: April 24, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
I agree. I’m glad Kmart is gone as he is the guy I was scared Gutey was gonna draft.

I think they believe Jace Sternberger will step in fine if he stays healthy.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: April 24, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »
I think they believe Jace Sternberger will step in fine if he stays healthy.

Im worried they’ll draft Trautman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2274 on: April 24, 2020, 07:24:59 PM »
So, who won the Khalil Mack trade?

A relative who is a Bears fan determined that the Bears did because the two guys the Raiders drafted with the first-round picks they acquired (Jacobs, Arnette) were taken too high each year.

I told him that's not really how it works. You have to look at all the guys the Bears could have drafted. Plus, Jacobs certainly looks more than decent so far. Too early to tell.

I say all that knowing you were just being sarcastic, jes, but what the heck.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson