[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319781 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2000 on: January 14, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »
I should have been more clear, being a play caller shouldn’t matter.  Pat Shurmur was a play caller and was a terrible coach.

Matt Nagy called plays for 5 games, Freddie Kitchens for 8 games.  Zac Taylor called plays for one month.  Joe Judge has never called plays.

Byron Leftwich has more experience calling plays than all of the guys listed above.

Eric Bieniemy not calling plays is a convenient excuse.  If we admit play calling matters, let’s at least assume skin color is still an issue in 2020.  Let’s not kid ourselves, if Bieniemy were white, he’d be hired by now

The Panthers are really going against the grain with their hires.

Rhule called neither offensive nor defensive plays at Baylor, yet he was hired as the Panthers' head coach. He is bringing along his DC from Baylor, who does have years of experience calling defensive signals. But the hot rumor is that Rhule will hire Joe Brady -- LSU's 30-year-old "passing game coordinator" -- as the Panthers OC. Although Brady had extensive input into LSU's offense, he was not the primary play-caller there (OC Steve Ensminger was).

So if the Panthers sign Brady, they will have hired both a head coach and offensive coordinator who have not been offensive play-callers, even at the college level.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
The Panthers are really going against the grain with their hires.

Rhule called neither offensive nor defensive plays at Baylor, yet he was hired as the Panthers' head coach. He is bringing along his DC from Baylor, who does have years of experience calling defensive signals. But the hot rumor is that Rhule will hire Joe Brady -- LSU's 30-year-old "passing game coordinator" -- as the Panthers OC. Although Brady had extensive input into LSU's offense, he was not the primary play-caller there (OC Steve Ensminger was).

So if the Panthers sign Brady, they will have hired both a head coach and offensive coordinator who have not been offensive play-callers, even at the college level.

Brady just agreed to an extension at LSU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2002 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
I should have been more clear, being a play caller shouldn’t matter.  Pat Shurmur was a play caller and was a terrible coach.

Matt Nagy called plays for 5 games, Freddie Kitchens for 8 games.  Zac Taylor called plays for one month.  Joe Judge has never called plays.

Byron Leftwich has more experience calling plays than all of the guys listed above.

Eric Bieniemy not calling plays is a convenient excuse.  If we admit play calling matters, let’s at least assume skin color is still an issue in 2020.  Let’s not kid ourselves, if Bieniemy were white, he’d be hired by now

Don't forget that Shurmer failed as a head coach once and got another one.  Adam Gase failed as a coach and immediately got a new job. Jim Schwarz was interviewed for a job this offsesaon, and let's not forget the stellar job he did with the Lions.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2003 on: January 14, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »
Brady just agreed to an extension at LSU.

Well then ... never mind.

Maybe.

We all know what college sports extensions mean, and David Tepper is one of the richest men on earth, but it sure looks like Brady is staying at LSU.

Perhaps now the Panthers will hire an offensive play-caller who actually has some experience calling plays.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2004 on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
Recognizing that there's a strong possibility I'm proven wrong here ... I'm actually not sold on Burrow as being anything special in the NFL.
He had an unbelievable season, but nothing in his prior play even hinted at this, and his performance just happened to coincide with the hiring of Joe Brady. His physical attributes are just average by NFL standards, and I think some of the plays he's made at the college level will be difficult for him to duplicate against bigger/faster/stronger NFL athletes.

I think, IF he remains healthy, Tua has a better NFL career.

Well its not as if Joe Brady was Mike Leach or some passing guru with a long track record of prolific passing attacks and getting monster numbers out of QBs.  I think he and Burrow probably had a good rapport and complimented each other.  I dont think this happens if its still Danny Etling or Brandon Harris under center.

Burrow was a bit of a late bloomer, even though he won Mr Football.  He was never was gonna start over Barrett or Haskins, who were much more Urban Meyer types of QBs.  But he was accurate in his appearances at OSU, the little he did play.  And if he showed NOTHING, LSU doesn't take a chance on him.  His first year at LSU wasn't supernova, but he was SEC POW a few times and played very well.  The Trubisky comparison's couldn't be more off.  Trubisky as an NFL starter for a few years doesn't make reads and decisions like Burrow has this year.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: January 14, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »
Burrow reminds me of Josh Allen, with the added security of having shown those skills and athleticism in the SEC as opposed to the Mountain West.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: January 14, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
Well then ... never mind.

Maybe.

We all know what college sports extensions mean, and David Tepper is one of the richest men on earth, but it sure looks like Brady is staying at LSU.

Perhaps now the Panthers will hire an offensive play-caller who actually has some experience calling plays.

Well, hello, Nostradamus.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
LSU’s passing game coordinator Joe Brady has told people today that he is planning to return to the NFL and the Carolina Panthers, per league sources.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2007 on: January 14, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
One season removed from being just an offensive assistant and now the youngest coordinator in the league. Wild glow up for him. Good for him

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2008 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
Burrow reminds me of Josh Allen, with the added security of having shown those skills and athleticism in the SEC as opposed to the Mountain West.

I really don't see the similarity, Burrow.

However, Justin Herbert definitely reminded me of Allen. I think some team will take him in the 5-15 range and regret it for many years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2009 on: January 14, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
I really don't see the similarity, Burrow.

However, Justin Herbert definitely reminded me of Allen. I think some team will take him in the 5-15 range and regret it for many years.

Neither Burrow or Herbert remind me of Allen ... or each other.
They certainly don't have Allen's arm, which is right up there with Mahomes in terms of pure strength and velocity (Allen actually threw harder at the combine than Mahomes ... 62 mph to 60).
Burrow reminds me a bit of Tony Romo. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: January 14, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
Well, hello, Nostradamus.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
LSU’s passing game coordinator Joe Brady has told people today that he is planning to return to the NFL and the Carolina Panthers, per league sources.

I'd love to claim some kind of great insight, but we all know that college coaching contracts are a total sham. The rumor mill here in Charlotte had been buzzing on this guy.

One season removed from being just an offensive assistant and now the youngest coordinator in the league. Wild glow up for him. Good for him

Well, Tepper said he wanted to think outside the box ... and he has.

Again, in a league that tends to hire coaches who have significant play-calling experience, both the head coach and even the OC have precious little. But Tepper is infatuated with Rhule, gave him a 7-year contract and said he will be patient, suggesting he is willing to let Rhule and Brady learn on the fly.

It will be interesting to have a front-row seat for it. Hope it doesn't go bad for my team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: January 14, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »
Just for fun...

https://twitter.com/DanDeYoungFB/status/1216941749895147520

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2012 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:47 PM »
Just for fun...

I would do this yesterday but I don't think the bengals would or should. What good would players on the down side do the bengals who need a qb and are at least a couple years away. As far as the Bears, when was the last time they had a game changing qb.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: January 14, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »
Just for fun...

Agreed. I don’t think the Bengals would do it. But Hicks is coming off a significant injury and Mack is unreal but worthless on a team not ready to contend. For another chance on a QB who on the surface is far more ready to contribute in a developed offense than Trubisky was

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: January 14, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »
Poor MU82 ...
Luke Kuechly just announced he's retiring.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2015 on: January 14, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
Poor MU82 ...

I'd be interested in 82's opinion on Luke's play this year. I only saw Carolina twice and he didn't seem to be quite the same guy as he had been. Don't know if it was injuries and just the accumulated hits that had finally caught up to him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: January 14, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
I'd be interested in 82's opinion on Luke's play this year. I only saw Carolina twice and he didn't seem to be quite the same guy as he had been. Don't know if it was injuries and just the accumulated hits that had finally caught up to him.

PFF shouldn't be taken as gospel, of course, but they had him as second team all-pro this year 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2017 on: January 14, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
Yea, no reason for the Bengals to do it. Just a thought experiment for Bears fans.

Also, I love this guy's videos. One on Pack D/49ers matchup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ipNyB5eAiM

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: January 14, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
Stefanski new Browns coach. Ok.

How do you hire a coach before the gm? Most gms are going to want to hire their own coach. What a f'd up mess

Why Stefanski? Because every other coach in the league has too much integrity to accept the conditions that he did. Head football coaches like to run the show. Stefanski won’t .

Stefanski yielded to certain expectations of part-time chief strategy office Paul DePodesta, including having someone from the analytics group wearing a headset and having access to the coaching staff on game days. Stefanski also agreed to owner Jimmy Haslam’s desire to engage in hours-long meetings with his head coach the day after games.

Haslem and Podesta also expect the Stefanski to turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department by Friday, and then attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

I think Stefanski might have a pretty hard time earning the players' respect.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2019 on: January 14, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
Agreed. I don’t think the Bengals would do it. But Hicks is coming off a significant injury and Mack is unreal but worthless on a team not ready to contend. For another chance on a QB who on the surface is far more ready to contribute in a developed offense than Trubisky was

You want Nagy coaching him though?

With the Ohio background, I think Burrow is a shoo-in for the Bengals.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2020 on: January 14, 2020, 08:09:19 PM »
Why Stefanski? Because every other coach in the league has too much integrity to accept the conditions that he did. Head football coaches like to run the show. Stefanski won’t .

Stefanski yielded to certain expectations of part-time chief strategy office Paul DePodesta, including having someone from the analytics group wearing a headset and having access to the coaching staff on game days. Stefanski also agreed to owner Jimmy Haslam’s desire to engage in hours-long meetings with his head coach the day after games.

Haslem and Podesta also expect the Stefanski to turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department by Friday, and then attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

I think Stefanski might have a pretty hard time earning the players' respect.
What a damn mess

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: January 14, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
You want Nagy coaching him though?

With the Ohio background, I think Burrow is a shoo-in for the Bengals.

He’s a no brainer for the Bengals and the chance to be a hero/legend if he has any early success.

I’d be fine if Nagy had him cause I think he’s a more finished product and his accuracy is very good. Nagy couldn’t call or strategize a good run game or balance. He had no issue getting WRs open, Trubisky would just miss them or flat out not see them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:58 PM »
Poor MU82 ...

PFF shouldn't be taken as gospel, of course, but they had him as second team all-pro this year 

First, I was stunned by the news. There was absolutely no hint of this during or after the season, and Kuechly talked at season's end about looking forward to 2020. He had two seasons left on a big contract (walking away from I think around $30M), and there was even early talk about an extension. He is a mega-star in Charlotte, and he had been healthy (to public knowledge) the last couple of seasons -- played in all 32 games.

All I can think is that some medical folks told him that, given his not-too-distant concussion past, he was taking some major risks every snap of the ball. Maybe there were new tests revealing a heightened risk. All I can do is speculate because he gave no real details and it seems so out of the blue.

As for his play ...

From his rookie year (2012) through the Super Bowl season (2015), he was one of the best players in football. Not just one of the best defensive players, but a true superstar. He hasn't been on that same level since the concussions surfaced in 2016, though he had a good comeback year in 2017.

The last two seasons, I've noticed that his play wasn't as dominant. He was a step slower to the football. He used to really be able to cover tight ends and RBs, but seemed to regularly be a step or two late the last couple of years. He was getting easier to block. I blamed some of that on the defensive line's inability to keep blockers off him, but it was obvious to me that he was simply less effective than he had been.

Me being a fan, I whined a little about him to my Panthers fan friends. "Any time Luke wants to earn that paycheck again, it would be all right with me." The Packers game this season, he had 1 solo tackle. "Remember Luke Kuechly?" I asked a friend. "He used to be good. Does he still play for the team?"

He had some good games, including a really good one pretty late in the season against Seattle, but he just wasn't what he was. Not consistently so, anyway.

So it kind of resonated with me when he said in his statement:

“There’s only one way to play this game since I was a little kid — to play fast, to play physical and to play strong, and at this point, I don’t know if I’m able to do that anymore and that’s the part that is the most difficult.”

Again, makes me think something's going on, that he got some kind of ominous report. A guy doesn't just wake up one morning and come to that conclusion.

I'm sad because he was so much fun to watch when he was great. If both he and Cam are gone (as well as Olsen and a few others), it's the end of a nice mini-era (if there is such a thing) here in Charlotte. But I'm actually happy for him because maybe he got out with minimal damage, and he'll have a long, happy, healthy, CTE-free life.

Panthers were going to be bad next season anyway. Maybe it's time to tank for Trevor!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:14 PM »
Hearing he's walking away, I can't help but think of the crying concussion.

I don't think I can blame anyone for walking away.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2024 on: January 14, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
Hearing he's walking away, I can't help but think of the crying concussion.

I don't think I can blame anyone for walking away.

Me either. I would never let my kid play football, that's for sure.

As for the crying concussion, that was effen scary. But it also was several years ago, and he played all 32 games the last 2 years.

feedback