[Today at 08:58:42 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319728 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1975 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:59 PM »
First time in many many years that I could watch a big Packer post season game and not tear my hair out at irrational decisions made by the head coach. Congratulations Matt LaFleur.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1976 on: January 13, 2020, 12:09:50 AM »
Season is a success no matter how spectacularly it ends next Sunday. Good feeling to be back in the NFC Championship, even if I don't expect to be  competitive in it.

And unnatural carnal knowledge the entire Seahawks team, but no one harder than Pete Carroll

If you asked me at the beginning - or even middle of the season - if I would consider this season a success to get to NFC Title game, I would have said yes.

But now, I know I will be extremely disappointed if they aren't in the SB.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: January 13, 2020, 05:37:23 AM »
Not an atrocious spot. Go look at it again. They reviewed the damn play twice. You obviously see what you want to see.

:o

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1978 on: January 13, 2020, 06:06:47 AM »
:o
He is not down yet on that pic. That's you and others pathetic way of cheapening the win.  Ridiculous. If you want to look at calls there was one in the first half that actually was a game changer

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: January 13, 2020, 06:09:59 AM »
Seahawks fans now know what it is like to be a Lions fan.   It was damn close.   And honestly, there wasn't enough there to change the spot.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:27:46 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1980 on: January 13, 2020, 06:23:12 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »
Also (not directed to you anymore), looks like the refs had a more accurate “line to gain” angle than the yellow line.

My wife and I noticed, when looking at the replays, that the ball definitely appeared to be over the line if one looked out from where the down marker was.

There was absolutely no evidence any viewer was presented with that was definitive enough to reverse the call, that's for sure.

FWIW, I'm neither a Packer lover or hater.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: January 13, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »
Courtesy of Andrew Brandt.  Here is what would be the actual fake first down line, not the incorrect one they showed on TV

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: January 13, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »
TV announcers say all the time that the yellow line is unofficial. And it is.

Using an unofficial, made-for-TV-viewers image to try to "prove" something is just dopey.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #1984 on: January 13, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
Courtesy of Andrew Brandt.  Here is what would be the actual fake first down line, not the incorrect one they showed on TV

Yeah that first down marker generated on the screen is not even close. Not to mention the egregious non-fumble recovery they awarded the Seahawks in the first quarter. Great win Pack.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1985 on: January 13, 2020, 11:05:52 AM »
I actually wish the line on the TV was accurate.  I wish those Fail Mary lovin' Seahawk fans got screwed in the most unfair of ways.  They deserve no less.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1986 on: January 13, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
The hiring of Stefanski...more to it...also note Andrew Berry may become GM.  Berry is African American.

------------------------

The Browns have "requested permission" to interview Eagles VP/Football Operations Andrew Berry for their open GM position after yesterday hiring Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski as coach in a move that would help "achieve that elusive organizational alignment" Browns co-Owner Jimmy Haslam is seeking, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland PLAIN DEALER. Berry formerly served as VP/Player Personnel for the Browns, and he "would pair well" with Stefanski, as the two got to know each other during the Browns' coaching search last year. Berry also is a "long-time favorite of Haslam" (Cleveland PLAIN DEALER, 1/13). In Akron, Nate Ulrich noted Berry had been "expected to emerge" as a GM candidate since the Browns parted ways with former GM John Dorsey on Dec. 31. Berry has "huge fans in Browns ownership who didn't want him to leave" for the Eagles role last February (AKRON BEACON JOURNAL, 1/12). In Ohio, Jeff Schudel in a front-page piece notes luring Berry back to Cleveland is the "only missing piece now" in the Browns' offseason plan (Willoughby NEWS-HERALD, 1/13).

LIVING IN THE LIMELIGHT: The PLAIN DEALER's Cabot notes Stefanski will be the fifth coach hired by the team since the Jimmy and Dee Haslam bought the team in '12. Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, who "ran the search this year, favored Stefanski last year, but was overruled by former GM John Dorsey." A source said that the search "came down to two finalists," Stefanski and 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh. But Cabot notes with DePodesta "driving the bus, he didn't let Stefanski get away this time." Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was "flown into Cleveland on Friday on Haslam's private jet along with his wife, Laura, but left without a contract after seven hours." A source said that the Browns were "not open to McDaniels having a large say in the hiring of his GM," and that they "didn't put in a request to interview" Patriots Dir of Pro Personnel Dave Zeigler for the GM vacancy (Cleveland PLAIN DEALER, 1/13). In Canton, Steve Doerschuk notes Stefanski was "familiar with the room, especially" Jimmy Haslam and DePodesta. Stefanski "made it clear he was willing to yield to certain DePodesta standards, such as an analytics person with a head set and access to the coaching staff on game days," in addition to "certain Haslam likes, such as hours-long, Monday-after, owner-coach meetings" (Canton REPOSITORY, 1/13).

INSTILLING CONFIDENCE: In Akron, Marla Ridenour in a front-page piece writes Haslam by hiring Stefanski "showed how much he values" DePodesta. Haslam listened to DePodesta, who "currently has his ear." Ridenour: "Considering Haslam's history of disastrous choices, that seems like progress" (AKRON BEACON JOURNAL, 1/13). In Cleveland, Dan Labbe writes Haslam "made it clear" DePodesta was going to lead the hiring process, and Stefanski's hiring is "as clear an indication the Browns, this time, stuck to their process." The Browns "appear on the path to alignment because they decided to put the hiring process in the hands of DePodesta and they are following his lead" (Cleveland PLAIN DEALER, 1/13). THE ATHLETIC's Jason Lloyd wrote Haslam is "following DePodesta's orders," and given a re-do after last year's Freddie Kitchens hire, Haslam "chose to listen to perhaps the smartest person in the building. Lloyd: "That's usually sound advice" (THEATHLETIC.com, 1/12). YAHOO SPORTS' Charles Robinson writes Haslam for the first time is "trying to engineer a structure where the head coach, general manager and chief strategist are not only on the same page, but are carrying the same book and speaking the same kind of football language." Robinson: "That is what this hire is about: Locking the braintrust together rather than incentivizing rivalry" (SPORTS.YAHOO.com, 1/13). ESPN.com's Jake Trotter wrote the Stefanski hire is a "victory" for DePodesta (ESPN.com, 1/12).

MCDAN-NO: CBSSPORTS.com's Jason La Canfora cited sources as saying Patriots coach Bill Belichick "refused to allow" McDaniels to "move up his scheduled interviews with teams interested in him as a head coaching candidate to the start" of last week. The sources added that Belichick "pushed special teams coordinator Joe Judge" for the Giants' coaching vacancy and "greenlit" a interview for him last Monday. La Canfora noted Belichick and Patriots Owner Robert Kraft have "long been worried about losing McDaniels," as is "well documented." Belichick has a "reputation for being difficult to work with when it comes to other teams looking to hire an assistant he does not want to lose" (CBSSPORTS.com, 1/11). In Boston, Ben Volin writes McDaniels is "fortunate to have a golden parachute -- a well-paying job" as Patriots OC, but his "image, and his ego, have taken a massive hit over the past couple of weeks as he was passed over for head coaching jobs for the second straight year." Last year, only the Packers were willing to interview McDaniels, and he "finished third." This year, he again "only got one interview" (BOSTON GLOBE, 1/13).
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1987 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
welcome to our world-payback a beach eyn'a?  what goes around...goes around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInIZ4CdVOw
don't...don't don't don't don't

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »
The angst over the Graham catch is dumb. The Seahawks lost because they couldn't get off the field on defense on third down and then they decided to punt on 4th and 11 late in the game down 5, and never got the ball back. Even if Graham was a half yard short, there's 100% chance Green Bay goes for it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1989 on: January 13, 2020, 11:34:21 PM »
I watched a lot of Burrow this year, that guy is going to be the face of the NFL in six/seven years. He is Rodgers 2.0, he may struggle early in year one with the Bengals, but I really think he’s going to be special at the next level.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: January 14, 2020, 06:33:11 AM »
Laughter from this Houston fan (my tear ducts shut down long ago)....as any Houston fan knows this is simply typical for us.

Consider in the last 24 hours:

1) the Texans choked off a 24-0 deficit to lose by 20...we draw on our memory of the Oilers in 1993 choking a 35-3 Bills lead ...but this one seemed worse. We liked Bum Phillips even in those Steeler Luv Ya Blue losses..we cant stand Bill Obrien. He is an immovable mud pit of mediocrity.

2) lifelong Astros fans ( since 1960) finally got their World Series win in 2017, and a statistically historical team falls just short in 2019....But wait ...shucks...from today on we are forever tainted cheaters, rightly so. We should have known ...the day after the WS parade in 2017, QB Deshaun Watson is out for the year ...ACL blowout in a thursday practice. A reminder from the gods...you are a Houston sports fan...no good goes unpunished.

3) every time UH football got good our coaches move on (Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman) With pride we lure one with a Power 5 pedigree Dana Holverson only to watch him revert us to 4-8 with just one home win. Today our QB announced that... after shutting himself down mid season...he is going elsewhere.

Oh well just another typical 24 hour period in Houston sports fandom. 40 years for me now. Except for a window of Rockets in early 90s....this is our typical....So, why do folks keep moving here? If they like sports they deserve the warning.

Houston is a brutal town to be a sports fan.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:49:10 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1991 on: January 14, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
I watched a lot of Burrow this year, that guy is going to be the face of the NFL in six/seven years. He is Rodgers 2.0, he may struggle early in year one with the Bengals, but I really think he’s going to be special at the next level.

I’ve seen some knocks on his arm strength, which would preclude him from Rodgers comparisons IMO. However, his pocket presence and awareness is unlike anything I’ve seen from a college QB in a long time. His sixth sense and movement back there is unreal. One of my best friends from college is a huge Bengals fan and is besides himself with excitement

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1992 on: January 14, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »
I’ve seen some knocks on his arm strength, which would preclude him from Rodgers comparisons IMO. However, his pocket presence and awareness is unlike anything I’ve seen from a college QB in a long time. His sixth sense and movement back there is unreal. One of my best friends from college is a huge Bengals fan and is besides himself with excitement

Some of the throws he makes are ridiculous for a college kid, he's throwing dimes that NFL QB's can't make. To top it off, he's doing this against the highest level of competition (Bama/Clemson/Oklahoma/Auburn). I agree that he doesn't have the arm strength of Trevor Lawrence (who has a rocket of an arm), but in a pro offense, I think he will be fantastic.

Bengals have an offensive minded head coach in place, I like Tyler Boyd, Mixon is a good back, so there's some pieces there, and the thought of being excited for Bengal football is weird, but could be some good Lamar Jackson/Joe Burrow matchups down the road.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1993 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »
Recognizing that there's a strong possibility I'm proven wrong here ... I'm actually not sold on Burrow as being anything special in the NFL.
He had an unbelievable season, but nothing in his prior play even hinted at this, and his performance just happened to coincide with the hiring of Joe Brady. His physical attributes are just average by NFL standards, and I think some of the plays he's made at the college level will be difficult for him to duplicate against bigger/faster/stronger NFL athletes.

I think, IF he remains healthy, Tua has a better NFL career.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
Recognizing that there's a strong possibility I'm proven wrong here ... I'm actually not sold on Burrow as being anything special in the NFL.
He had an unbelievable season, but nothing in his prior play even hinted at this, and his performance just happened to coincide with the hiring of Joe Brady. His physical attributes are just average by NFL standards, and I think some of the plays he's made at the college level will be difficult for him to duplicate against bigger/faster/stronger NFL athletes.

I have to agree with you ... could not stop thinking "Mitch Trubisky" as I watched him play.

Also, agree about Tua.

All this said, Trevor Lawrence, despite not having the best night last night, might be the player to throw games to get the draft pick for him (see his tOSU performance and remember he is Cam Newton's size at 6' 6")
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: January 14, 2020, 10:56:44 AM »

I agree, he seems to me that he has a rather flat trajectory on his throws. When he releases, I often think he doesn’t have enough air under the ball and yet completes them rather easily. That may not translate to the NFL, but then again, what do I know.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1996 on: January 14, 2020, 11:18:25 AM »
I love Burrow, I'll stand alone on the Joe Burrow bridge when it comes to him having a great career if need be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: January 14, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »
I have to agree with you ... could not stop thinking "Mitch Trubisky" as I watched him play.

All this said, Trevor Lawrence, despite not having the best night last night, might be the player to throw games to get the draft pick for him (see his tOSU performance and remember he is Cam Newton's size at 6' 6")

Very impressed with Burrow, and I think he will be a fine pro. FWIW, he was 10 times better this year than Trubisky ever was at UNC.

I like Lawrence a lot, too. He might be the same height as Newton, but Cam (especially pre-vegan) was a massive human being, 250-260 pounds. Dealt out more punishment than he took ... for awhile, anyway. Newton was the LeBron of QBs -- a man among boys. Lawrence is built more like Rodman.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: January 14, 2020, 11:50:10 AM »
I love Burrow, I'll stand alone on the Joe Burrow bridge when it comes to him having a great career if need be.

For a 2 star recruit, he has done well.  He has to continue to prove people wrong which is what makes him succeed.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1999 on: January 14, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »

Agreed and said the same thing in the college thread last night. Thought Burrow was the better college QB and pro prospect going into the title game, and the title game certainly didn’t change my mind.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter