[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319740 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1825 on: January 06, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
Cowboys fans better hope Big Mac's offense has evolved since 2010.  As of the 2018 season, it hadn't.  And if it still hasn't, I hope they enjoy watching Randall Cobb try to win one on one against his defender.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
I've got nothing against Mac but watching Big D continue to fail will be a great joy.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1827 on: January 06, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
Good for McCarthy. I didn't think personalities would fit (tbf, who else gets along with Jerry Jones other than Jason Garrett?), but he has all the talent in town to make it work if they retain Dak and Amari.

I think that’s a good hire for both parties.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1828 on: January 06, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
Good for McCarthy. I didn't think personalities would fit (tbf, who else gets along with Jerry Jones other than Jason Garrett?), but he has all the talent in town to make it work if they retain Dak and Amari.

GB, I think their talent, especially on offense, is way overrated. Amari is only so-so as a #1 receiver and they have little behind him. If Cobb is the #2, the team is in big trouble. Not much at tight end. They do have a couple really good pieces on the offensive line and, of, course, they have Elliot (even tho' he wasn't as impressive this year). Dak is above average - in the 10-15 range - but not a top tier guy.

We also have a long history of what Special Teams look like under McCarthy. They were always among the worst in the league when he was in GB.

All that being said, however, I think it was as good of a hire as Dallas could get.

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: January 06, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
GB, I think their talent, especially on offense, is way overrated. Amari is only so-so as a #1 receiver and they have little behind him. If Cobb is the #2, the team is in big trouble.

Michael Gallup is their #2 receiver.  Might even be their number one by next year.

Look, I'm not saying he's going to win them a Super Bowl, but I think McCarthy gets a couple wins out of the Cowboys that Garrett couldn't get.  That's good enough to win the East.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »
Exactly, Jay Cutler would have been way better

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2020, 03:39:11 PM »

Michael Gallup is their #2 receiver.  Might even be their number one by next year.

Look, I'm not saying he's going to win them a Super Bowl, but I think McCarthy gets a couple wins out of the Cowboys that Garrett couldn't get.  That's good enough to win the East.

Completely agree that McCarthy can get them an extra win or two.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
A Jerry Jones sleepover must be a heck of a time.
Just don't leave your shoes lying around.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
GB, I think their talent, especially on offense, is way overrated. Amari is only so-so as a #1 receiver and they have little behind him. If Cobb is the #2, the team is in big trouble. Not much at tight end. They do have a couple really good pieces on the offensive line and, of, course, they have Elliot (even tho' he wasn't as impressive this year). Dak is above average - in the 10-15 range - but not a top tier guy.

We also have a long history of what Special Teams look like under McCarthy. They were always among the worst in the league when he was in GB.

All that being said, however, I think it was as good of a hire as Dallas could get.

By all indications, Amari was a top 10 receiver in all of football this year. Things ended on a bit of a sour note, but for the last year and a half, he was every bit of the player Oakland thought they drafted.

I think it's a good get for Jones. Whether it works is contingent on what MM learned in his year off. Does his offense come back fresh ala Andy Reid, or is it old-school with predictable concepts? Rooting for him in all games except against the Packers.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: January 06, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
By all indications, Amari was a top 10 receiver in all of football this year. Things ended on a bit of a sour note, but for the last year and a half, he was every bit of the player Oakland thought they drafted.

I think it's a good get for Jones. Whether it works is contingent on what MM learned in his year off. Does his offense come back fresh ala Andy Reid, or is it old-school with predictable concepts? Rooting for him in all games except against the Packers.

Amari is a stud ... when he wants to be. He has what can best be described as focus issues. He'll put up a monster performance one week then disappear the next.
Of his 1,189 yards this season, 585 of them (aka half) came in four games.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1835 on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Cowboys fans better hope Big Mac's offense has evolved since 2010.  As of the 2018 season, it hadn't.  And if it still hasn't, I hope they enjoy watching Randall Cobb try to win one on one against his defender.

Years ago here I said I would take McCarthy over the clapping ginger in a heartbeat....this is when Packer fans were generally thinking they had right to go to the Super Bowl each year.  He's a huge upgrade over Ginger, whether he is the guy that can get it done.....I will say no because the ultimate problem is still the GM.   They still believe in going after elite players, overpay them and have no depth.  They rarely cut bait.  I love Jason Witten...he has no business playing tight end any longer in the NFL, but Jerrah cannot say no.  Paying Zeke what they did...a travesty.  Sure, he "earned" it, but you have saddled your team elsewhere.  Depth has been a problem for Dallas for years.

McCarthy will at least be someone that holds players accountable, something the clapper never did.  Step in the right direction, but as long as Jerrah is there as the GM, I don't see it changing. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1836 on: January 06, 2020, 10:01:25 PM »
Tua to NFL.

Absolute no-brainer.

Too bad for him he couldn't have gone pro after last season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #1837 on: January 06, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
Tua to NFL.

Absolute no-brainer.

The question is...... where does he get drafted with his injury history?  I like his talent, but I don't think he's durable enough. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: January 06, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
The question is...... where does he get drafted with his injury history?  I like his talent, but I don't think he's durable enough.

Kiper thinks he'll still go high. I have no idea - not a draftnik.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1839 on: January 07, 2020, 12:40:52 AM »
Tua to NFL.

Absolute no-brainer.

How do you know he didn’t want the college experience like the Oregon QB who could have last year, but didn’t.  Sometimes, kids actually want to go to college.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1840 on: January 07, 2020, 01:22:31 AM »
Coach and QB combos with rings....lots of great QBs that didn’t get a lot of hardware of late

McCarthy and Rodgers: 1 ring
Payton and Brees: 1 ring
Carroll and Wilson: 1 ring
Dungy and Manning: 1 ring

-–———————————————————-
Bellichick and Brady: 6 rings
Tomlin and Roethlisburger: 2 rings
Coughlin and Manning: 2 rings

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1841 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:24 AM »
Hopefully, McCarthy doesn’t have his QB quit on him in Dallas, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: January 07, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
I don't know the numbers and have not seen this reported but has LeFleur's team been significantly healthier than McCarthy's GB teams? Every season McCarthy's teams seemed to have devastating injury bugs yet to me this year's team seems to not have lost so many players due to injury. Is 13-3 a reflection of more players being available on gamedays?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: January 07, 2020, 08:19:54 AM »
I don't know the numbers and have not seen this reported but has LeFleur's team been significantly healthier than McCarthy's GB teams? Every season McCarthy's teams seemed to have devastating injury bugs yet to me this year's team seems to not have lost so many players due to injury. Is 13-3 a reflection of more players being available on gamedays?

Some of that.  Some of the Packers not taking timeouts after a first down run that goes for 4 yards to the 39 yard line under two minutes left in the first half while the opponent seems somewhat content to go to the locker room where they're at, only to then see the opponent march down the field for (at least) a field goal.  A TON of letting one of the Packers' two offensive playmakers actually touch the ball more than 12 times a game.  And a serviceable defense.

I mean, Rodgers has been about as bad as he's ever been this year and has the worst receiving group he's ever had before, yet the Packers went 13-3.

When you don't give your opponent extra time outs to close out a half, resulting in points that they were content not having, the close losses oddly have a way of turning into close wins.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:21:46 AM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: January 07, 2020, 08:33:58 AM »
I think the Packers' improvement this year is entirely due to the defense.  They ranked ninth this year after the past three ranking somewhere in the 20s.  I think a lot of this has to do with improved personnel (the Smiths and Amos), but also has to do with Pettine being better than Capers.

McCarthy was way too loyal to his assistants, and Thompson was way too stingy with the checkbook when his drafting strategy wasn't working. 

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: January 07, 2020, 08:54:49 AM »
Looks like Matt Rhule will be in Carolina.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1846 on: January 07, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »
I think the Packers' improvement this year is entirely due to the defense.  They ranked ninth this year after the past three ranking somewhere in the 20s.  I think a lot of this has to do with improved personnel (the Smiths and Amos), but also has to do with Pettine being better than Capers.

McCarthy was way too loyal to his assistants, and Thompson was way too stingy with the checkbook when his drafting strategy wasn't working.
Well not entirely due to the defense. Using Aaron Jones as a weapon and feature back had a lot to do with it as well. McCarthy refused to give Jones more than a handful of touches per game. Also give credit to LeFleur, the players are buying what he is selling.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1847 on: January 07, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Well not entirely due to the defense. Using Aaron Jones as a weapon and feature back had a lot to do with it as well. McCarthy refused to give Jones more than a handful of touches per game. Also give credit to LeFleur, the players are buying what he is selling.

Very favorable schedule doesn’t hurt either

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: January 07, 2020, 09:20:42 AM »
Looks like Matt Rhule will be in Carolina.

Yep. donedeal.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article239015758.html?

I like the idea of hiring a young coach. I am a little leery of a college guy, though he did spend one season as an NFL assistant. Certainly pulled off a quick rebuild in Baylor.

I hope he hires a proven successful defensive coordinator. Could do a lot worse than Wade Phillips.

I was a Rivera fan (though I reluctantly admit both sides probably needed a change), and time will tell if this guy does any better. But I go in open-minded and optimistic.

It will be very interesting to hear his take on Newton and the whole QB situation.

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: January 07, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »

Aaron Jones averaged 13.3 touches (rushing attempts plus receptions) per game last year.  This year it most definitely increased to 17.8.  But let's not act like McCarthy ignored Jones.  He just used Jamal Williams more than LaFluer does.