[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319682 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1700 on: December 30, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

No.  We are not "both right."  His original statement is that it was "probably not that big of a deal."

It is a big deal.  According to stat guys, that penalty decreased their Game Winning Chance stat by 13 percentage points.  That's significant.

I disagree, but whatever.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1701 on: December 30, 2019, 11:26:29 AM »
If I tell you, you are right will you just go away.

LOL.  You keep responding to me, but you get pissy if I respond to you.  Classic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: December 30, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

LOL.  You keep responding to me, but you get pissy if I respond to you.  Classic.
Not pissy, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. It is just not worth arguing it to the nth degree.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
He was great in his announcing debut this year.  Should be a natural transition if he wants it.  And his charity work can't be understated.  He was exceptional even before leaving Chicago, and even more so after

Sure fire HOF TE for me.  Shame he was wasted his early years in Chicago.  Light on accolades because his best years went up against Gronk and Kelce (who will probably be top 3 TEs when they are done), but he was a consistent and dominant for a 5 year stretch before getting banged up.  Gronk, Kelce, Gonzalez, Sharp, and Gates are the top 5 of all time for me.  But then I think Olsen is right there in a group with Witten, Kellen Winslow, and Ozzie Newsome.  Ertz is on his way too if he keeps this level of play up.

He's come a long way since he was a knucklehead at "The U" (as was often the case for footballers there back then). Time, a great family life, dealing with adversity, etc, all help a person mature.

Lots of outstanding TEs over the years, of course, and I like your list. (And don't forget about a certain tight end who played and coached for a certain Chicago team, my friend!) Olsen might end up being top-15 or top-20 rather than top-10, and we'll see if the HoF gives him a call. I hope so.

The shame for the Bears was that Olsen was just ready to be a star right when they hired Martz. They committed to "system" rather than the players they had, and made what turned out to be a horrible decision. It happens ... and this Panthers fan thanks the Bears very much!

One of my most fun games since moving here was when the Bears visited in 2014, and I went with my wife and Bears-fan son (who was visiting from Chicago). The guy sitting right in front of us was a Chicago fan wearing an Olsen Bears jersey. I thought it odd that he would want to advertise that trade, and we had some fun exchanges during the game. I was really loving it when Olsen scored 2 TDs, including the winner with about 2 mins left.

The Bears helped the Panthers a lot that day, blowing a 14-point lead thanks to an idiotic INT by Cutler (of course), a fumble by Forte (pretty rare), a missed chip shot by Gould (quite rare) and finally a game-clinching fumble by Cutler (of course). My son and I had made a bet, and he had to wear my Panthers jersey the whole next day. (I would have had to wear a Bears jersey.)

Not that I remember silly stuff like that or anything ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: December 30, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Not pissy, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. It is just not worth arguing it to the nth degree.

Then you are free to stop doing so at any time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »
Jerry Jones is pissed

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: December 30, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
Jerry Jones is pissed
That's a real shame
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: December 30, 2019, 01:08:43 PM »
Jerry Jones is pissed

He should be pissed at himself for hanging on to these guys for as long as he did.  Not to mention his overall mismanagement of the organization for the past 25 years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: December 30, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
Jerry Jones is pissed

I guess he'll have to take some solace in the fact that the team he bought for $140 million in 1989 is now worth an estimated $5.5 billion.  Damn, I hate the Cowboys (and Jones in particular).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1710 on: December 30, 2019, 01:39:12 PM »
I guess he'll have to take some solace in the fact that the team he bought for $140 million in 1989 is now worth an estimated $5.5 billion.  Damn, I hate the Cowboys (and Jones in particular).

Imagine being a Cowboys fan...its infuriating. 

And all of this back and forth arguing between Fluffy, Hairy, Pakuni....really unsettling. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: December 30, 2019, 01:40:57 PM »
The upcoming AFC divisional round matchup between Buffalo and Houston reminded me of a story of my misspent youth.

In 1988 the Warren Moon Oilers were to to meet the Jim Kelly Bills in Buffalo for a divisional round game. Many here in Houston fondly remembered Jim Kelly with the USFL Houston Gamblers('83-'85). Mouse Davis ran the original Run and Shoot, and Kelly's games here were very entertaining,

Kelly was a big $ signing by Gamblers owner Jerry Argovitz, in 1983. In addition to his $500,000 salary Kelly got a $500k cash signing bonus. The problem was local dentist Argovitz couldn't swing the (then) large cash bonus without borrowing the $ from a Houston bank and the bank required Kelly sign a guaranty of the Argovitz loan. Argovitz supposedly told Jim ..."this is just a formality....sign here, Jim".

Predictably, Argovitz and the Gamblers ended in bankruptcy. Kelly moved on to sign a then huge $5million contract with the Bills. Kelly had $ ...and I represented the bank holding the defaulted Argovitz loan...still guaranteed by Kelly. We had a local collection suit pending, but had personal service problems on Kelly.

On the Oilers/Bills game announcement....Problem solved!! I told the associate to Fedex the service package to Buffalo. He responds no way will the Buffalo guys serve their star QB...I guessed, instead the sheriff would enjoy a chance to go out and watch a Bills practice.   Sure enough, two nights later ...the local 10pm sports news guy, Tim Melton, breaks in to say...... "Ladies and Gentleman, we cant verify the story, but I just got a call a few minutes ago from Bills QB Jim Kelly. Jim is totally irate that some Houston bank just served him with a suit on a debt he was promised never to owe, and worse still he claims they served him at practice....just to upset him before the big game with the Oilers on Sunday." HaHa

..........flipping from Ch 13 to Ch 2....the same story was repeated and rushed to air.  Kelly had called Ch 2 also.   Ha Ha

I cheered aloud when the announcers during the national broadcast of the Sunday Bills/Oilers game noted how ..."Jim Kelly is overcoming adversity today as... Kelly is coming off a very difficult week in which he was sued by a Houston bank"...Ha Ha

Sadly ....Oilers still lost 17-10

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:37:47 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: December 30, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
Imagine being a Cowboys fan...its infuriating. 

And all of this back and forth arguing between Fluffy, Hairy, Pakuni....really unsettling. 
Wait, I thought you liked back and forth arguing.  ;D

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1714 on: December 30, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
Wait, I thought you liked back and forth arguing.  ;D

Only if productive and serves a purpose....I especially like it when others do it because it destroys so many narratives here.

jesmu84

• All American

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: December 31, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1211729660670857217?s=19

For those of you who thought the Bears' offense was a little too exciting in 2019 ...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: December 31, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »
If I'm the Bears, I'd try to trade down one of my second round picks and try to get an early third round back to go after Jalen Hurts.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: December 31, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
If I'm the Bears, I'd try to trade down one of my second round picks and try to get an early third round back to go after Jalen Hurts.

I love Jalen Hurts in a "football playing Jesse" kind of way, but I don't think he's a starting NFL quarterback. I know Lamar Jackson's success has people thinking differently about the position, but Jalen isn't half the passer Lamar was in college. A third round pick isn't a huge gamble to take on him, but I'd keep my expectations low.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: December 31, 2019, 10:21:52 AM »
I love Jalen Hurts in a "football playing Jesse" kind of way, but I don't think he's a starting NFL quarterback. I know Lamar Jackson's success has people thinking differently about the position, but Jalen isn't half the passer Lamar was in college. A third round pick isn't a huge gamble to take on him, but I'd keep my expectations low.

Agreed, for the record, I wasn't trying to compare him to Jackson or anyone else. I think whatever they do next year (Pace just said Mitch is their QB next year), they need to draft someone. Their picks at 43 and 50 are too high to take Hurts. If they were to trade down from 43 to the back end of the second round and pick up a third rounder in that trade, I think at that point it's worth taking Hurts or someone. I like Hurts pedigree and confidence. I don't know if that translates to him being an NFL QB, but it's basically the opposite of Mitch.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: December 31, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
I have absolutely no confidence in the Bears to do the wise thing right now.  With another QB or with drafting one.  Hurts, I worry about his accuracy a bit.  The later round guy I wouldn't mind see a chance on is Montez from CU.  Great size, good mobility, ton of experience, albeit on some disappointing teams.

But I'm sure if they do, they will get someone like Anthony Gordon from Wazzu, who I actually think is quite good, but only started 1 year.  Seems like their kind of guy.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: December 31, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »
Agreed, for the record, I wasn't trying to compare him to Jackson or anyone else. I think whatever they do next year (Pace just said Mitch is their QB next year), they need to draft someone. Their picks at 43 and 50 are too high to take Hurts. If they were to trade down from 43 to the back end of the second round and pick up a third rounder in that trade, I think at that point it's worth taking Hurts or someone. I like Hurts pedigree and confidence. I don't know if that translates to him being an NFL QB, but it's basically the opposite of Mitch.

FWIW (and caveat: I'm a Packers fan), but without a top overall pick type of slot to go after a consensus top grading QB, I think Chicago's best bet is to get a few shots on goal and hope one of them goes in. Take Hurts, bring in a free agent, trot Trubisky out again, and see who comes out on top. You might strike gold in a lower round selection like (and oh how I despise him) Russel Wilson.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: December 31, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
I feel better about the Cardinals than most.  Tough out.  6-10, but going the right direction.

Close, what do I win?  Not as awful a season as some had predicted.  Future is bright.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1724 on: December 31, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
I have absolutely no confidence in the Bears to do the wise thing right now.  With another QB or with drafting one.  Hurts, I worry about his accuracy a bit.  The later round guy I wouldn't mind see a chance on is Montez from CU.  Great size, good mobility, ton of experience, albeit on some disappointing teams.

But I'm sure if they do, they will get someone like Anthony Gordon from Wazzu, who I actually think is quite good, but only started 1 year.  Seems like their kind of guy.

Wags, you could run a better operation than Pace.

After Nagy said today that Mitch needs to improve his recognition and read defenses better, Pace then can to the mic and said Mitch doesn't need any improvement "above the shoulders".

In other words, the coach and GM who "say" they are on the same page aren't even on the same chapter. We don't know yet how good of a coach Nagy can be, but we have oodles of proof how bad of a GM that Pace can be.