[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319631 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1650 on: December 29, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
McCarthy will wind up coaching the Giants.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1651 on: December 29, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
Considering this has been their model for 27 years at a minimum, goes beyond "current leadership" in how they approach their model, one which they have made very successful.  Other leagues are in a lot worse shape with their distribution deals and revenues.....just pointing that out.

You are 100% right that the NFL has been successful with its model.  But I doubt that it's successful BECAUSE of this model. 

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1652 on: December 29, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
Dealing with Carolina fans alone would steer me to Cleveland.

Is there a stigma about Carolina fans? I’ve not heard issues with them as far as not wanting to coach there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1653 on: December 29, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »

You are 100% right that the NFL has been successful with its model.  But I doubt that it's successful BECAUSE of this model.

Well, when you consider the NFL was clear number 2 for many years and made some smart decisions, especially on the television side....will agree to disagree.  Things are changing, they are doing a lot with Amazon, doing stuff in Canada and Europe with DAZN, obviously cable / network / OTT here in the States.  I've never seen any company or organization except for DISNEY cut up rights and monetize them to the nth degree.  They are brilliant at it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: December 29, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
Well, when you consider the NFL was clear number 2 for many years and made some smart decisions, especially on the television side....will agree to disagree. 

They moved from #2 to #1 decades ago for a number of reasons, television being the primary one no doubt.  But I think the model that they used in the 1970s and 80s seems very out of date for 2020. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: December 29, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »
Is there a stigma about Carolina fans? I’ve not heard issues with them as far as not wanting to coach there.

Well, may be be related that their former owner was a huge fan jeans Friday.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1656 on: December 29, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »
They moved from #2 to #1 decades ago for a number of reasons, television being the primary one no doubt.  But I think the model that they used in the 1970s and 80s seems very out of date for 2020.

From a consumer perspective...yes.  From a financial perspective, they could have changed it months ago and didn't...because the $$$ didn't make it so.

Until that flips, you will continue to see a patchwork approach.  Let's not forget that what you want to see is not helping MLB, NBA, etc.  Mark Cuban has been hot about this of late.  The ESPN guys as well....all this money spent on all these rights and yet social media delivers 5 minute full highlights within 30 minutes of a game's completion...why even bother wasting 2 or 3 hours watching a game anymore?  The media companies are asking why they are writing big checks to the sports leagues if they are devaluing the content in the process....excellent questions.  They cannot have it both ways, and that's one of the fun rubs going on in the sports television discussions.   Technology can be a God send, it can also cannibalize and destroy your profits and erode your loyal fans in exchange for a bunch of fans that kind of notice / have a limited attention span.  Lots of interesting lessons being learned right now.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: December 29, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
From a consumer perspective...yes.  From a financial perspective, they could have changed it months ago and didn't...because the $$$ didn't make it so.

Until that flips, you will continue to see a patchwork approach.  Let's not forget that what you want to see is not helping MLB, NBA, etc.  Mark Cuban has been hot about this of late.  The ESPN guys as well....all this money spent on all these rights and yet social media delivers 5 minute full highlights within 30 minutes of a game's completion...why even bother wasting 2 or 3 hours watching a game anymore?  The media companies are asking why they are writing big checks to the sports leagues if they are devaluing the content in the process....excellent questions.  They cannot have it both ways, and that's one of the fun rubs going on in the sports television discussions.   Technology can be a God send, it can also cannibalize and destroy your profits and erode your loyal fans in exchange for a bunch of fans that kind of notice / have a limited attention span.  Lots of interesting lessons being learned right now.

You know more than I do about this topic, but it would seem to me that it would be better to then provide more and better content by the traditional media than stick to the old one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1658 on: December 29, 2019, 07:53:25 PM »

It's more about their inability to stick to the team.  They have a bad reputation of letting tons of other fans buy their tickets, creating a not so friendly home field advantage.  There are worse teams for that...Rams, Chargers, Cowboys even.  They commit the reverse sin of not traveling very well.

Carolina's fans typically ranked 23rd to 28th in surveys we receive from various sources / consultant shops.  The only fans that typically rank worse are Cardinals, Chargers, Dolphins, Falcons, Bucs, and Jags. A few others come in and out of that ranking. Notice a lot of these are from one part of the country...the NFL is second to college football in many of these parts.  Fans are often transplants from other cities.

Top fan bases are Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Eagles, etc.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: December 29, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »
It's more about their inability to stick to the team.  They have a bad reputation of letting tons of other fans buy their tickets, creating a not so friendly home field advantage.  There are worse teams for that...Rams, Chargers, Cowboys even.  They commit the reverse sin of not traveling very well.

Carolina's fans typically ranked 23rd to 28th in surveys we receive from various sources / consultant shops.  The only fans that typically rank worse are Cardinals, Chargers, Dolphins, Falcons, Bucs, and Jags. A few others come in and out of that ranking. Notice a lot of these are from one part of the country...the NFL is second to college football in many of these parts.  Fans are often transplants from other cities.

Top fan bases are Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Eagles, etc.

Interesting. I appreciate the insight.

Sounds like Rivera is going to Washington. I could see McCarthy in Cleveland. Although, I assumed he was going to go there last year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1660 on: December 29, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
I honestly have no idea how anyone watches the NFL without the ticket.

YTTV

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: December 29, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
How does that PI not get booth reviewed?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: December 29, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »
Seattle taking that delay was brutal.

• All American
« Reply #1663 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
Seattle taking that delay was brutal.

Yep. They were acting like they took a timeout.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:29:59 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1664 on: December 29, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »
Brilliant coach Pete Carroll has team suffer delay of game at the 1 yard line to lose it.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: December 29, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »

They wadded through a whole year of "I don't know what PI is anymore" to swallow their whistles there. Never underestimate the NFLs ability to shoot itself in the foot.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1666 on: December 29, 2019, 10:32:21 PM »

I agree...Terry McCauly does too and said so live...same Terry who said the OSU call switch last night was so wrong.  Terry two for two the last few nights on two huge calls....unfortunately the teams impacted got hurt in both cases.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: December 29, 2019, 10:41:13 PM »
I had to watch that last :42 again. George Fant was injured on the 4th and 10 first down catch, busted his a$$ to get to the line to avoid a run off. However, that play cost them 20 seconds. If Fant stays down, the Seahawks actually gain 4 seconds (first down catch is marked down at :35).

Wilson spikes it, play clock starts, Fant waves off going out, so he doesn’t cause the delay. Lynch doesn’t jog on until :19 on the play clock, Seattle is still huddling when the play clock runs out. That’s just awful by the Seahawks.

Obvious PI review should have happened on 3rd down.

Greenlaw with a tackle that will have gigantic ramifications long after tonight.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1668 on: December 29, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »
I agree...Terry McCauly does too and said so live...same Terry who said the OSU call switch last night was so wrong.  Terry two for two the last few nights on two huge calls....unfortunately the teams impacted got hurt in both cases.

The call switch was tough because you had to see it in real time not super dooper slo mo. Hell slow it down enough and you could make it look like he had it for however many seconds you slow it down to. Real time, it was bang bang and that’s not control
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1669 on: December 29, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
Packers could have been the ugliest 1 seed in history
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1670 on: December 29, 2019, 10:52:06 PM »
The call switch was tough because you had to see it in real time not super dooper slo mo. Hell slow it down enough and you could make it look like he had it for however many seconds you slow it down to. Real time, it was bang bang and that’s not control

Disagree brother Rocket...took 4 steps, call on field was catch, if it was in end zone would be a TD,  nothing in video irrefutable to overturn. 

Separately, Pete Carroll’s wizardry at the end not very good...but he is a swell guy.   ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1671 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Packers could have been the ugliest 1 seed in history

2010 Atlanta Falcons in my book.  2008 Titans were another one. 2011 Patriots. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: December 29, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
Assuming the Saints beat the Vikings, winner of Seattle/Philly gets screwed by the NFL with the playoff scheduling. That game is the late Sunday game in the Wild Card round. San Fran hosts the early Saturday game on Divisional weekend. Either team will have one less prep day and a full travel day no matter the outcome.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: December 29, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »

The same one you were saying isn't an NFL ref anymore a couple hours ago?  Weird.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1674 on: December 29, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
The same one you were saying isn't an NFL ref anymore a couple hours ago?  Weird.

He’s not...he quit the NFL after 20 seasons, but he is employed by NBC as an expert official for Sunday Night football and Notre Dame broadcasts.  He is also still employed by the AAC in college football.  He is more than capable at being an expert in both versions of football and has been for a long time.