[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319761 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1625 on: December 29, 2019, 06:13:20 PM »
There are many ways.

Well yeah, but having a network dictate what games you get to watch based where you live in 2020 is ridiculously dumb (that was my point).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1626 on: December 29, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »

Yeah most weeks I don't really care.  If the game that I am watching sucks, I'll just do something else.  But the fact that Fox still has this stupid Cowboys game on is really weird.

All about ratings and $$$.  Most popular team in the NFL, highest ratings on average the last 20 years, the amount of phone calls and pissed off fans if they go away from a Cowboys game isn't worth it to them usually.  Can happen, but really rare.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1627 on: December 29, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »
Well yeah, but having a network dictate what games you get to watch based where you live in 2020 is ridiculously dumb (that was my point).

Until someone comes in to protect those paying for those rights, what's the better way?  That's the dilemma.  The NFL doesn't want to be almost solely on cable (the NBA's huge achilles), nor can they afford to be only streaming....that leaves you with Broadcast and their huge wallets paying for the lions' share.  Things will continue to shift, but the challenge the NFL is having right now is who will fill the void in terms of increased dollars they want to grow their revenues.  Complex puzzle due to the nature of technology changes as well as where the dollars come from.

There is also the big concern whether streaming can handle all of those games at one time....DAZN, Netflix, HBO, Hulu and others have so far failed to pull it off for a single event.  Eventually we get there, but not yet.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: December 29, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »
Not legally...not legally in the United States...there is only one legal way....but legal don't mean much to some.

Well, you could always go to one of 10,000+ bars/restaurants that have the Ticket and do it that way.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: December 29, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
I'm not making that argument, but when I look at 13-3 Packers vs a potential 12-4 49ers....guess which team I think is better?  Guess which most people will say is better?   The records say one thing...how many games you won and lost...they don't say who you played as a benefit or detriment to that record.  I don't think you are suggesting all 12-4 or 13-3 records are equal...or maybe you are.  In my view, who you played, where you played, how you played...matters.
What I am saying is 13-3 is 13-3 and it shouldn't be discounted. Every team in the NFL plays tough games. I think I it was Parcels who said you are what your record says you are.

I think the best teams in nfc are saints then 49ers then packers. I think it is wide open this year and not much difference between the top 4. I know you are smarter than to take one game and use that as the ultimate measuring stick. So do you think Atlanta is much better than the saints  because they whacked them? I don't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: December 29, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
The Patriots could have secured the No. 2 seed and first-round bye today by beating the "easy" Dolphins at home. Couldn't do it.

The Seahawks could have positioned themselves for No. 1 overall seed last week by beating the "easy" Cardinals at home. Instead, got trounced by 2 TDs.

The Steelers could have all but wrapped up a playoff spot last week by beating the "easy" Jets. Couldn't do it.

Etc, etc, etc.

Obviously, it's an advantage to play mediocre (or worse) teams. But you still have to win the games. The Packers and Chiefs could have suffered the same fate today that the Patriots and Seahawks did ... but they found ways to pull out games against lousy teams.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1631 on: December 29, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
Well, you could always go to one of 10,000+ bars/restaurants that have the Ticket and do it that way.

Yes...that's a commercial established option.  From a residential perspective, there is only one legal way. in this country through two sources (satellite or OTT in limited areas) and procured by one company to do so in the USA, but as noted not everyone is so keen on following legal options in this country for any number of things.  Lots of bars have been hit hard, fined and even shut down.  Some individual have also...some pretty famous ones.  Comes down to resources, budget and law enforcement (some states are really keen on clamping down, others not so much).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1632 on: December 29, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
What I am saying is 13-3 is 13-3 and it shouldn't be discounted. Every team in the NFL plays tough games. I think I it was Parcels who said you are what your record says you are.

I think the best teams in nfc are saints then 49ers then packers. I think it is wide open this year and not much difference between the top 4. I know you are smarter than to take one game and use that as the ultimate measuring stick. So do you think Atlanta is much better than the saints  because they whacked them? I don't.

Yup, Parcells or Denny Green...someone.  It's naive, in my opinion, to suggest they are the same.  It is absolutely true you can only play the teams on your schedule, but some teams have a much higher mountain to overcome than others and their record shows it.  Saints are great at home, can be beat on the road.  49ers and Seattle are really tough.  The NFC East sucks, yet the Eagles beat the Packers in GB.  The outdoor weather will help the Packers to some level, I just think they have not been that impressive this year for the record they have...too many close call wins against bad football teams, soft schedule, etc.  Doesn't mean they cannot get all the way to Miami where I'll be happy to watch them play when in attendance, but I would also be surprised if they got there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: December 29, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »

Sure. But no one should be surprised about it given the current leadership of the NFL.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: December 29, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »
Congrats to Christian McCaffrey on becoming the third player in NFL history to have 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards receiving in the same season, joining Marshall Faulk (1999) and Roger Craig (1985).

His 2,392 yards from scrimmage were third most ever, he broke his own single-season record for receptions by a RB with 119, and he scored 19 TDs.

That he accomplished all of that playing behind a bad offensive line and alongside a trio of QBs who either were hurt or horrible (or both) says a lot about his talent.

Yes, McCaffrey's accomplishment was little more than polish on the turd that was this putrid Panthers season, but he is one hell of a football player.

I just hope his team can do some winning before his career is spent.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: December 29, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
End of Raiders/Broncos was bonkers.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1636 on: December 29, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
McCaffrey won many people (including me) their fantasy football championship.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: December 29, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
I know it will never happen, but an EPL like last day of NFL of the Sunday season would be so much fun.  16 games at like 4pm EST, across ESPN, CBS, ABC, FOX, NFL...make it a huge event the Sunday after XMas

Do what I did then. I went to a bar and restaurant along the Indian River in Florida that had a Direct TV Sunday NFL package. Went with my wife, children and aunt. We watched  the Packers, Bears and Saints simultaneously (specific game depended on to whom we were a fan of) all the while watching the Patriots lose to Miami (with both Miami and New England fans in the bar), the Falcons beat Tampa and the Jets beat the Buffalo Bills.

The bar atmosphere was fantastic and there were enough Packers fans in attendance (including a family of four all of whom were wearing Marquette shirts) to make the restaurant Lambeau South. The Miami, New Orleans and Bear games all ended simultaneously and the Packers about five minutes later. The place was rocking.

Walked about before the 4:25 games started screaming “SUP-ER. BO-WL” with my fellow Packers fans. Was even happy the Bears won!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: December 29, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

Smart man, C-dubs!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: December 29, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »
Freddy Kitchens fired.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: December 29, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »

Only psychopaths play a FF championship in week 17

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: December 29, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
Freddy Kitchens fired.

Well, if you can't stand the heat ...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: December 29, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »
Freddy Kitchens fired.
Mike McCarthy come on down

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1643 on: December 29, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
Well, if you can't stand the heat ...

He's available for you guys, now. 8-)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1644 on: December 29, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »
Only psychopaths play a FF championship in week 17
Mine was over last week. I was referring to the full season.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1645 on: December 29, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »
Mike McCarthy come on down

Yeah if I’m McCarthy I take that job over Carolina.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: December 29, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Yeah if I’m McCarthy I take that job over Carolina.
Yeah plus he has connections with Dorsey and especially elliot wolf. Wolf is probably on the phone with right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: December 29, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
He's available for you guys, now. 8-)

Everybody knew McCarthy wouldn't go long without getting a new gig. Same with Rivera.

Kitchens? See ya!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1648 on: December 29, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
Yeah plus he has connections with Dorsey and especially elliot wolf. Wolf is probably on the phone with right now.

Dealing with Carolina fans alone would steer me to Cleveland. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1649 on: December 29, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
Sure. But no one should be surprised about it given the current leadership of the NFL.

Considering this has been their model for 27 years at a minimum, goes beyond "current leadership" in how they approach their model, one which they have made very successful.  Other leagues are in a lot worse shape with their distribution deals and revenues.....just pointing that out.

feedback