[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319805 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1600 on: December 29, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »
NFL should really have all four of its networks televising games this final Sunday afternoon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1601 on: December 29, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
NFL should really have all four of its networks televising games this final Sunday afternoon.

They might in the future with future deals, but the other networks didn't buy the rights for them...thus NFL Sunday Ticket has them in conjunction with CBS and FOX
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: December 29, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
I understand that.  I just think the way NFL televises its Sunday games is a relic of a different era.  The fact I can't see the Eagles / Giants game on anything but a package purchased on Direct TV is very odd to when when I can watch pretty much any FBS college game on any given Sunday. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1603 on: December 29, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Exactly. I get sos over a few games, but not entire season in nfl. I'm guessing the Patriots not apologizing for playing in most putrid division year after year almost guaranteeing them a AFC championship game.

Not exactly, plenty of examples to prove that out incorrectly.

Seattle Seahawks 2nd toughest and they are 11-4
The KC Chiefs have the 10th hardest schedule going into today and finish 12-4.
Houston Texas at 8th toughest
Rams with the toughest, likely to finish 9-7

Conversely, the team with the worst record should benefit from SOS because of all those losses...but the 2-14 Bengals right now have the 7th toughest schedule and it should drop to 9th by end of today....one would expect they would be in the top 5 if Pakuni's argument held true.  Dolphins and Redksins both have schedules 25th or worse despite all of their losses which should improve their SOS by fattening up the other teams.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: December 29, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »
I don't think a 10-6 Vikings team loing to a Mahomes-less Chiefs says much of anything.
Really? First of all today's game was meaningless to the vikings. They are still a playoff team in a tough nfc and at the time a top 3 or 4 team in the conference.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: December 29, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
They might in the future with future deals, but the other networks didn't buy the rights for them...thus NFL Sunday Ticket has them in conjunction with CBS and FOX

I know it will never happen, but an EPL like last day of NFL of the Sunday season would be so much fun.  16 games at like 4pm EST, across ESPN, CBS, ABC, FOX, NFL...make it a huge event the Sunday after XMas

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: December 29, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »

The no Mahomes argument is weak as well.

That might be the dumbest part in that dumb argument.

Missing one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the NFL is no big deal.  ::)

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: December 29, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
I can even watch every game of the final season of the English Premier League in May on some station, but the closest game relevant to the NFL playoff picture?  Nope. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1608 on: December 29, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
I understand that.  I just think the way NFL televises its Sunday games is a relic of a different era.  The fact I can't see the Eagles / Giants game on anything but a package purchased on Direct TV is very odd to when when I can watch pretty much any FBS college game on any given Sunday.

That may be the case and the NFL had a chance to change it 6 months ago...they declined.  They wanted the guaranteed money because Amazon, ESPN+ and others wouldn't pay what they were looking for.  So, for now, the relic will continue for a number of years unless someone else steps up and pays...right now those other guys have said no.  The NFL likes their money.

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: December 29, 2019, 05:47:55 PM »
I know it will never happen, but an EPL like last day of NFL of the Sunday season would be so much fun.  16 games at like 4pm EST, across ESPN, CBS, ABC, FOX, NFL...make it a huge event the Sunday after XMas

Exactly. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
Not exactly, plenty of examples to prove that out incorrectly.

Seattle Seahawks 2nd toughest and they are 11-4
The KC Chiefs have the 10th hardest schedule going into today and finish 12-4.
Houston Texas at 8th toughest
Rams with the toughest, likely to finish 9-7

Conversely, the team with the worst record should benefit from SOS because of all those losses...but the 2-14 Bengals right now have the 7th toughest schedule and it should drop to 9th by end of today....one would expect they would be in the top 5 if Pakuni's argument held true.  Dolphins and Redksins both have schedules 25th or worse despite all of their losses which should improve their SOS by fattening up the other teams.
All nonsense this isn't ncaa basketball you get no extra consideration for playing a supposed tougher schedule. Any team can lose to any team and they do especially on the the road.

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
That may be the case and the NFL had a chance to change it 6 months ago...they declined.  They wanted the guaranteed money because Amazon, ESPN+ and others wouldn't pay what they were looking for.  So, for now, the relic will continue for a number of years unless someone else steps up and pays...right now those other guys have said no.  The NFL likes their money.

I get all that.  In the meantime, I have a game droning on in the background that I'm not paying attention to.  Very exciting.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »
I'm guessing the Patriots not apologizing for playing in most putrid division year after year almost guaranteeing them a AFC championship game.

This is another "dumb argument"

See here: https://patriotsdynasty.info/blog/2019/01-02/myth-easy-afc-east-definitive-guide

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1613 on: December 29, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »

Sunday Ticket could do it today, that's an NFL call ultimately on the time of day...but Sunday Ticket has the ability to put all those games on at one time across the board.

I would never say never, but this comes down to $$$ and advertising....and who pays for what.  The broadcast affiliates for FOX and CBS pay a big part of the rate for NFL, the only way all that works is if they are made whole. The next TV contracts are up in 2021 and 2022, though discussions going on already. The CBA is a big part of all of this.  Never say never.

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: December 29, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
Really? First of all today's game was meaningless to the vikings. They are still a playoff team in a tough nfc and at the time a top 3 or 4 team in the conference.

Look, if you don't think the Packers got a huge break playing the Chiefs in Kansas City without the reigning MVP in their lineup, that is your opinion.  But it is a very dumb one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1615 on: December 29, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »
Well the Vikings coildnt beat kc without Mahomes and kc still had all their weapons. Kc backup qb played pretty well. All the divisions have weak teams. NFC south not that great either. Arguably the best division is nfc north  where the packers had 6 games. Also had to play the best team in the nfc west.

NFC West is the best division and has been rated so for almost the entire season.  The 49ers may end up not even winning their division.  And they annihilated the Packers.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1616 on: December 29, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
All nonsense this isn't ncaa basketball you get no extra consideration for playing a supposed tougher schedule. Any team can lose to any team and they do especially on the the road.

I'm not making that argument, but when I look at 13-3 Packers vs a potential 12-4 49ers....guess which team I think is better?  Guess which most people will say is better?   The records say one thing...how many games you won and lost...they don't say who you played as a benefit or detriment to that record.  I don't think you are suggesting all 12-4 or 13-3 records are equal...or maybe you are.  In my view, who you played, where you played, how you played...matters.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: December 29, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »
I honestly have no idea how anyone watches the NFL without the ticket.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: December 29, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »
Look, if you don't think the Packers got a huge break playing the Chiefs in Kansas City without the reigning MVP in their lineup, that is your opinion.  But it is a very dumb one.
I didn't say they didn't get a break. Kc is still a very difficult team to beat at home and have lots of weapons not to mention Matt Moore played a great game. What is dumb is minimizing a 13-3 team and a 1 or 2 seed because they didn't win in the way you wanted.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1619 on: December 29, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »

Well, with the $$ charged by the NFL a lot of other people would like to, but it has become cost-prohibitive for some.  But that's a story for another day.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: December 29, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »

There are many ways.

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: December 29, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
I didn't say they didn't get a break. Kc is still a very difficult team to beat at home and have lots of weapons not to mention Matt Moore played a great game. What is dumb is minimizing a 13-3 team and a 1 or 2 seed because they didn't win in the way you wanted.

If you can't see objectively and subjectively how this Packers 13-3 team is rather weak in comparison to other teams who have finished with that record, I don't know what to tell you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1622 on: December 29, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
There are many ways.

Not legally...not legally in the United States...there is only one legal way....but legal don't mean much to some.

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: December 29, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »
There are many ways.

Yeah most weeks I don't really care.  If the game that I am watching sucks, I'll just do something else.  But the fact that Fox still has this stupid Cowboys game on is really weird.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: December 29, 2019, 06:11:10 PM »
Titans are going to go to New England and beat them next weekend.