[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319779 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1475 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
Several of Tsmith’s last few posts have all been racially charged and he’s talking about antagonizing?  Wow.
After making political comment after political comment, cry, cry, cry that you are the victim when called out.  It never ends, despite being banned a dozen times and the mods telling you to knock it off time after time. 

Go ahead, go find another thread to get shut down.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1476 on: December 19, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
It is consistent with history of the Ford family with regard to the Lions.   Not surprised.    Remember, this is the family that held on to Matt Millen from 2001-2008.   I do, however, think that when the hatchet falls, it will be on both Quinn and Patricia.

Chuck Schmidt was let go to hire Millen.  Chuck's son worked for me for many years, and now I work with him at HBO.  Had the pleasure of talking to Chuck at his son's wedding last year.  Really interesting guy and his views of the Lions some 20 years later.  Sometimes the culture of losing is very hard to eradicate.  It seemed that Chuck and Fontes, actually had done that to a degree, but folks wanted more.  I can't remember, but I think the last time the Lions had three straight winning years was around that time period, and something like 4 out of 5 years.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:37:23 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: December 19, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
It is consistent with history of the Ford family with regard to the Lions.   Not surprised.    Remember, this is the family that held on to Matt Millen from 2001-2008.   I do, however, think that when the hatchet falls, it will be on both Quinn and Patricia.

Also the family that fired the only coach who posted a career record (with the team) above .500 since the early 1970s.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1478 on: December 19, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
Chuck Schmidt was let go to hire Millen.  Chuck's son worked for me for many years, and now I work with him at HBO.  Had the pleasure of talking to Chuck at his son's wedding last year.  Really interesting guy and his views of the Lions some 20 years later.  Sometimes the culture of losing is very hard to eradicate. It seemed that Chuck and Fontes, actually had done that to a degree, but folks wanted more.  I can't remember, but I think the last time the Lions had three straight winning years was around that time period, and something like 4 out of 5 years.

The problem with Fontes was he'd always start out slow then he'd do enough in the regular season to be brought back before getting embarrassed in the playoffs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: December 19, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »
One playoff win in my lifetime.  Fontes was the king of 9-7 and sneaking in.  Also known as the good old days.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1480 on: December 22, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »
Panthers will be better without games.................................
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: December 22, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »
Ezekiel Elliott took himself out of the game - tired I guess - with Cowboys losing 10-6. His sub promptly fumbled, and Eagles went down and scored.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: December 22, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Boiz not better without Zeke....
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »
Matt Nagy Dumb

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1485 on: December 22, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
7 more days of the Clapping Ginger

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1486 on: December 23, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Matt Nagy Dumb

Punting on 4th and 7 from the Chiefs 43 when you are down 10-0 halfway through the second quarter in a lost season?  Jason Garret thinks you're too conservative there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: December 23, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
Some of the excuse making by Collinsworth for Trubisky was hilarious.  "You know he only started one year in college, so right about now is when he is catching up to Watson and Mahomes when they got out of school."

OK.  Cool.  Why draft him ahead of those guys then?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
The Bears were absolutely terrible this year. Their high point was a near meaningless game against another 7-8 team, the Dallas Cowboys.

Either Nagy realizes how bad his quarterback is or he’s not the offensive genius the Bears parade across their promo presentation on their scoreboard. It’s as if the team went through the motions in a game where they had to prove something for next year.

The scarey thing is that the Bears have shot the wad on Khalil Mack while having an offense so bad that they’ll never be good enough to fully utilize Mr. Mack’s incredible talents.

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: December 23, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
Either Nagy realizes how bad his quarterback is or he’s not the offensive genius the Bears parade across their promo presentation on their scoreboard. It’s as if the team went through the motions in a game where they had to prove something for next year.

It's both.  I don't think Trubisky is very good.  But I also think he's been trained too much to not make mistakes.  He rarely pushes the offense, constantly checking down.  The playcalling, with all the screens and such, doesn't ever force a defense to respect anything downfield.  Bears would be wise to move on both quarterback and coaching wise.  My guess is they do neither.

Look what the Titans are doing with Tannehill.  You can find an experienced guy to come in and move the ball enough with this defense.  Go get Teddy Bridgewater.  Sh*t, I'd even look at Blake Bortels. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: December 23, 2019, 08:31:15 AM »

It's both.  I don't think Trubisky is very good.  But I also think he's been trained too much to not make mistakes.  He rarely pushes the offense, constantly checking down.  The playcalling, with all the screens and such, doesn't ever force a defense to respect anything downfield.  Bears would be wise to move on both quarterback and coaching wise.  My guess is they do neither.

Look what the Titans are doing with Tannehill.  You can find an experienced guy to come in and move the ball enough with this defense.  Go get Teddy Bridgewater.  Sh*t, I'd even look at Blake Bortels.

There have been rumors that if Cam is healthy, the Bears will try to get him. I don't know if those rumors are even 1% credible, but they make sense ... for the Bears. If Cam is healthy, given what we've seen of the other QBs on the Panthers' roster, the Panthers need to keep him unless they are planning a complete rebuild that includes drafting a QB No. 1 next spring.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
The Bears were absolutely terrible this year. Their high point was a near meaningless game against another 7-8 team, the Dallas Cowboys.

The scarey thing is that the Bears have shot the wad on Khalil Mack while having an offense so bad that they’ll never be good enough to fully utilize Mr. Mack’s incredible talents.

Nagy has absolutely no faith in Trubisky.  Thats part of the issue.  His idiotic playcalling and inability to put together a complete offensive gameplan is another.  If they make no changes and bring back both next year (which I honestly think they do), it will be like John Fox's last year where I watched maybe 2-3 games all year cause I had no interest in watching a pathetic team with no direction.  The 4 playcalls when they turned it over inside the 10 made my head hurt.  Run, bad pass play, QB run, horribly thrown fade.  Second worse throw of the night after 4th and 23 where Mitch threw a dumpoff to a tight end.  For f**** sake

Speaking of pathetic, John Dorsey is a really good GM and a sharp football mind, but if he doesn't doesn't admit his error and dump Freddie Kitchens in a week, his reputation needs to take a hit.  Holy crap.  That team continues to be undisciplined and brain dead, and also showing no life.  But to make it worse, he's making even dumber decisions.  Up 6-0 yesterday, playing awesome on defense and making Lamar and Co look human, they wet themselves and give up a 2 play 63 yard TD drive on 2 long passes with horrible blown coverages.  Ok.  They get the ball back down 7-6, 1:11 left...proceed to throw 2 deep incompletions and instead of running on 3rd and long to mitigate risk as the Ravens had no TOs left...they throw another incomplete pass.  Punt to Baltimore with a minute remaining...and let the MVP do what he does and score again before halftime...and the Ravens got the ball to start the second half.  Game over.  Just a complete inability to do any game management.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: December 23, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »
Panthers will be better without games.................................

If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be wondering why Christian McCaffery is getting 25+ touches in a meaningless blowout loss at the end of the season.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: December 23, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »
Say it with me Bears fans, Alex Smith.

But actually I’d rather them just go in on Teddy or Cam or draft a QB and hope it turns out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: December 23, 2019, 01:37:56 PM »
If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be wondering why Christian McCaffery is getting 25+ touches in a meaningless blowout loss at the end of the season.

I am.

He is fairly close to being only the third RB ever to get 1000 rushing and receiving yards, and I think that matters to the franchise (and quite possibly to McCaffrey, though he doesn't talk about individual stats). But I'm not a big fan of chasing milestones like that in a meaningless game at the expense of keeping a franchise player healthy.

McCaffrey rarely takes a play off. I am not saying that in the coach-speak way; it's a fact. For the second straight season, he will have played more snaps than any other RB, and it hasn't been close.

I'd be much happier Sunday if, rather than playing him, the Panthers announce that they're paying him ... by giving him a nice contract extension befitting one of the best players in the NFL.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: December 23, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
I am.

He is fairly close to being only the third RB ever to get 1000 rushing and receiving yards, and I think that matters to the franchise (and quite possibly to McCaffrey, though he doesn't talk about individual stats). But I'm not a big fan of chasing milestones like that in a meaningless game at the expense of keeping a franchise player healthy.

McCaffrey rarely takes a play off. I am not saying that in the coach-speak way; it's a fact. For the second straight season, he will have played more snaps than any other RB, and it hasn't been close.

I'd be much happier Sunday if, rather than playing him, the Panthers announce that they're paying him ... by giving him a nice contract extension befitting one of the best players in the NFL.

There have been a lot of dives into this, but the consensus is that RBs with a 400+ touch season typically (though not always) see a big drop in production and increase in injuries the following year.
McCaffery is at 387 touches right now.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: December 23, 2019, 03:02:32 PM »
There have been a lot of dives into this, but the consensus is that RBs with a 400+ touch season typically (though not always) see a big drop in production and increase in injuries the following year.
McCaffery is at 387 touches right now.

He's shown a willingness to sit out games that crotchety old men think he should play.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: December 23, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »
Congrats to new Panthers coach Mike McCarthy

Bump

jesmu84

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: December 23, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
Since we're a week away ... Black Monday firing predictions:

Freddie Kitchens
Pat Shurmur
Jason Garrett*
Doug Marrone
Anthony Lynn

I may be wrong here, but I think the Falcons late-season push may have saved Dan Quinn's job, which is dumb.
Ryan Pace can't fire another coach, so unless he goes, Nagy stays.

* Might survive if Cowboys make the playoffs