[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319678 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1225 on: November 21, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
Myles Garrett's attempt at using the race card today...

The time for such a defense was immediately after it happened or in the following hours/day.  Not a week later.  That, coupled with no such reaction that would have occurred from Rudolph's own black teammates right next to him during the incident, made it a major whiff that managed to make a bad situation worse.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1226 on: November 21, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
The time for such a defense was immediately after it happened or in the following hours/day.  Not a week later.  That, coupled with no such reaction that would have occurred from Rudolph's own black teammates right next to him during the incident, made it a major whiff that managed to make a bad situation worse.

First point I agree with.  Second point is problematic.  Did they hear it?  Would they defend their teammate first only to admonish him later?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: November 22, 2019, 08:54:40 AM »
Interesting ... turns out the much-maligned Josina Anderson was right when she speculated that Garrett would accuse Rudolph of having used a racial slur.

As my fellow Scoopers know, I'm hyper-sensitive to race-relations incidents, but this charge by Garrett doesn't seem to pass the smell test.

Garrett addressed reporters at length after the game, and he issued statements in the days that followed, and no mention of any slur. No mention of any slur by any of his teammates who were nearby; no mention by teammates that he later told them Rudolph used the n-word or something; no mention by any black players on the Steelers, who are vocally defending Rudolph.

Certainly not saying it's impossible that it happened, just doesn't seem to be any evidence of it, even second- or third-hand evidence.

If it's untrue, I really hate this kind of accusation. There are so, so, so, so many instances of actual racism that get swept under the carpet; every time there is a false allegation it gives the racists cover when something real happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
Interesting ... turns out the much-maligned Josina Anderson was right when she speculated that Garrett would accuse Rudolph of having used a racial slur.

As my fellow Scoopers know, I'm hyper-sensitive to race-relations incidents, but this charge by Garrett doesn't seem to pass the smell test.

Garrett addressed reporters at length after the game, and he issued statements in the days that followed, and no mention of any slur. No mention of any slur by any of his teammates who were nearby; no mention by teammates that he later told them Rudolph used the n-word or something; no mention by any black players on the Steelers, who are vocally defending Rudolph.

Certainly not saying it's impossible that it happened, just doesn't seem to be any evidence of it, even second- or third-hand evidence.

If it's untrue, I really hate this kind of accusation. There are so, so, so, so many instances of actual racism that get swept under the carpet; every time there is a false allegation it gives the racists cover when something real happens.

Yep.  And if I'm Rudolph I sue his sorry arse for a couple million for slander claiming that allegation cost him the next Ford F-150 commercial gig.

Despicable.  Own your GD mistake like a man Garrett.

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: November 22, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
Yep.  And if I'm Rudolph I sue his sorry arse for a couple million for slander claiming that allegation cost him the next Ford F-150 commercial gig.

And you'd lose.  Not because he said it but because the standard for successfully suing a public figure for slander is quite high.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: November 22, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »
And you'd lose.  Not because he said it but because the standard for successfully suing a public figure for slander is quite high.

I dunno, actual malice requires knowledge of the falsity of the statement or a reckless disregard for whether it was false, and Garrett sure as heck knows whether his accusation was true or false.

The trouble would be proving that Garrett's accusation is false. I'm not sure there are a ton of great and eager witnesses all excited to suffer depositions and through a media circus trial to back Rudolph's cash grab. And that's saying nothing about how difficult it would be to prove how the accusation actually caused him monetary harm... unless F150 really did rescind a contract that he could use to show how much $ the accusation cost him.

If I'm Rudolph I let this thing die, not because I might not have a good defamation case, but because I'm not sure the continued negative press surrounding the whole situation is worth the trouble.

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: November 22, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
I dunno, actual malice requires knowledge of the falsity of the statement or a reckless disregard for whether it was false, and Garrett sure as heck knows whether his accusation was true or false.

The trouble would be proving that Garrett's accusation is false. I'm not sure there are a ton of great and eager witnesses all excited to suffer depositions and through a media circus trial to back Rudolph's cash grab. And that's saying nothing about how difficult it would be to prove how the accusation actually caused him monetary harm... unless F150 really did rescind a contract that he could use to show how much $ the accusation cost him.

If I'm Rudolph I let this thing die, not because I might not have a good defamation case, but because I'm not sure the continued negative press surrounding the whole situation is worth the trouble.

Yeah the bolded is the problem. 

And yeah Rudolph should let this die.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: November 22, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
I’m pretty sure all QBs (and a number of OLs) wear mics during the game. It’s why you can pretty clearly and easily hear Rodgers yelling “orange bozo” or Manning yelling “Omaha!” I’d think it would be pretty easy, given Rudolph is the QB, to prove whether or not he used a racial slur.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: November 22, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
I’m pretty sure all QBs (and a number of OLs) wear mics during the game. It’s why you can pretty clearly and easily hear Rodgers yelling “orange bozo” or Manning yelling “Omaha!” I’d think it would be pretty easy, given Rudolph is the QB, to prove whether or not he used a racial slur.

Those mics are usually worn by offensive linemen and are shut off as soon as the ball is snapped.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: November 22, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
Might be directional mics too, the kinda satellite dish looking things carried by people on the sidelines.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: November 22, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »

First point I agree with.  Second point is problematic.  Did they hear it?  Would they defend their teammate first only to admonish him later?

If Garrett heard it, others would have.  And its an especially ugly word that would blur the lines of outright defense of a teammate and support and defense of Rudolph hasn't wavered from the minute the incident happened until now.  Slurs carry more weight than a cheap shot or something more minor.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: November 22, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
The Steelers players had no problems defending Roethlisberger, so I'm going to take any denials with a grain of salt.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: November 22, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
Wee all kneed ta look like Waldo, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: November 24, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
Lions gotta Lion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1240 on: November 24, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa.  She was right?  LOL.  Let’s go back and see what she said.  She apologized for a reason.  She didn’t just say he would say it, she implied it happened to justify his actions.  Read her tweet again.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1241 on: November 24, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
Kyle Allen...your kicker fooled you hard today...two missed extra points and a missed 28 yarder with 2 minutes to play.  Played well, deserved to win.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: November 24, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »
Apparently, sometimes, Panthers gotta Lion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1243 on: November 24, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
Panthers really miss Cam Newton
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: November 24, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
Jason Garrett. You never disappoint.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1248 on: November 24, 2019, 07:33:14 PM »
Apparently the packer blueprint is having a Bosa on the line

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: November 24, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
Just competent QB play and double teaming Davante Adams. Meaning don’t throw the ball right to a Packers DB 2-3 times a game. Pin the ears back and get to the QB. No other receiver or tight end is any kind of threat.

feedback