[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319634 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1200 on: November 20, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
It sounds like as part of the waiver the NFL wanted Kaepernick to sign, they added in language that would make it more difficult for him to sue them again for collusion. The more that comes out, the worse this looks for the NFL.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1201 on: November 20, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »
It sounds like as part of the waiver the NFL wanted Kaepernick to sign, they added in language that would make it more difficult for him to sue them again for collusion. The more that comes out, the worse this looks for the NFL.

Are you implying that Stephen A. may not understand the subtleties of contracts and employment law??
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1202 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »

Old news, reported 4 days ago.

His little PR stunt, will be interesting if anyone goes after him now.  The safest bets would be Baltimore or Seattle where he holds a clipboard and does nothing else, but I don’t think many teams will want the drama for someone that isn’t close to elite.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: November 20, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
Workout was a bad idea from the start, handled poorly by everyone, and neither side had any interest in recognizing the legitimate suspicions each side has of the other. Dumb.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: November 20, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »

His little PR stunt, will be interesting if anyone goes after him now.  The safest bets would be Baltimore or Seattle where he holds a clipboard and does nothing else, but I don’t think many teams will want the drama for someone that isn’t close to elite.

So, I’m curious what the PR stunt is. The NFL approaches him with this with 2 hours to decide and puts it at the least opportune time for the teams. Then, they throw conditions at him at the last minute that go above and beyond normal workouts and shows the ulterior motive of the NFL.

Granted, I’m not sure about some of the Nike stuff involved with this. I suppose you could call it a PR stunt that he moved it, but it sounds like the NFL was being unreasonable. I feel the NFL did this more as a PR stunt or to avoid another lawsuit than any other reason.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: November 20, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »

This wasn't a PR stunt by him. The NFL got caught in its own PR stunt, where it was trying to manipulate and take advantage of Kaep. It failed.

Shameful by the NFL.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: November 20, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »

Who is creating the drama you speak of? Bootlicking snowflakes?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1207 on: November 20, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Who is creating the drama you speak of? Bootlicking snowflakes?

It would be a story for one week and then disappear
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1208 on: November 20, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »
This wasn't a PR stunt by him. The NFL got caught in its own PR stunt, where it was trying to manipulate and take advantage of Kaep. It failed.

Shameful by the NFL.

nailed it.

And considering the rave reviews on his performance from officials there the continued failure of any team to sign him further reinforces us his claims of collusion. Plus, the real drams isn't Kap, it's the fans and right wing media. The Tebow circus was ok, why not Kap?  He can actually throw a football and complete a pass.   

Detroit may be an option with Stafford out and the season spiraling out of control, or as the Lions call it, normalcy. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: November 20, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
nailed it.

And considering the rave reviews on his performance from officials there the continued failure of any team to sign him further reinforces us his claims of collusion. Plus, the real drams isn't Kap, it's the fans and right wing media. The Tebow circus was ok, why not Kap?  He can actually throw a football and complete a pass.   

Detroit may be an option with Stafford out and the season spiraling out of control, or as the Lions call it, normalcy.

I think Detroit should sign him.    However, they may make the choice that the season over and tank for draft picks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1210 on: November 20, 2019, 11:51:57 PM »
I think Detroit should sign him.    However, they may make the choice that the season over and tank for draft picks.   

Wait, they aren’t tanking right now?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: November 21, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
Not on purpose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1212 on: November 21, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »
nailed it.

the nfl says here, we will put out the word and the venue for you(kaep) to showcase your schnit.  who was the last player they've done that for?  then kaep and his team mess that all up, change the venue, less people show up.  then post workout, kaep continues to criticize the very organization that is giving him a sloppy wet kiss??  only a handful of people show up, he's lobbing passes to open receivers running down the field...big whop.  sure he looks pumped up.  what else does he have to do?  any team that's ready for his sh*t show and divisive locker room, go right ahead.  then, when he doesn't work out, it'll be like the neighbor that won't go away...all around.  the aclu, jesse jackson, sharpton will all be on their soap boxes, etc etc  it's a lose lose scenario

don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1213 on: November 21, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
  the nfl says here, we will put out the word and the venue for you(kaep) to showcase your schnit.  who was the last player they've done that for?  then kaep and his team mess that all up, change the venue, less people show up.  then post workout, kaep continues to criticize the very organization that is giving him a sloppy wet kiss??  only a handful of people show up, he's lobbing passes to open receivers running down the field...big whop.  sure he looks pumped up.  what else does he have to do?  any team that's ready for his sh*t show and divisive locker room, go right ahead.  then, when he doesn't work out, it'll be like the neighbor that won't go away...all around.  the aclu, jesse jackson, sharpton will all be on their soap boxes, etc etc  it's a lose lose scenario

Richie Incognito is in the NFL.  Raiders locker room seems fine.  Panthers have Eric Reid and Cowboys have Michael Bennett and the locker room is fine in both those places. 

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
Yeah I don’t recall anyone saying Kaep was a problem in the locker room.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1215 on: November 21, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: November 21, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »

Serious question...Have you read the info regarding the documents that the NFL wanted Kaep to sign? Do you understand why Kaep changed the venue?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: November 21, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »

If you honestly believe that the NFL was doing Kaepernick a favor, you haven't been paying attention.

I kind of find myself in the middle in the Kaepernick thing.  I'm well aware that based upon other positions I believe, I'm supposed to hate him.  But I don't.  I don't necessarily agree with him on the nature of the problem he is protesting, but I do respect what he is doing.  I've frequently defended him to people who are surprised that I'm on "his side."  But I'm not really.  I also think it's legit for team owners to not want to have him on their team or deal with him.  He feels strongly about something, and he's willing to take a stand.  I respect that.  He also appears willing to accept the consequences of doing so (we can debate how serious those consequences have been).  I respect that as well.  That said, there's no question that at this point he's far more interested in being an attention-seeking activist (all the "best" activists are) than an NFL quarterback.

But, as I said, anyone who thinks that the NFL is looking to do him any favors (or thinks that he's not talented enough to play in the NFL) is absolutely delusional.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: November 21, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »

You do realize that that's how all workouts for quarterbacks look, right?  No teams are putting on 11 on 11 scrimmages to work out potential quarterbacks, whether it's pre-draft workouts or free agents.

The NFL decided to "put on" a workout on a Saturday.  The people who would most benefit from seeing Kaepernick work out are the coaches in the NFL.  You know what coaches in the NFL are doing?  Traveling and preparing for Sunday games.  Besides Sunday, it's the worst day you could "put on" a workout for an NFL player.

By asking the question "who was the last player they've done that for?" you're getting hit smack in the face.  It was a publicity stunt.  If an NFL team wanted to see Kaepernick work out they would've set up an individual workout.  They wouldn't wait to let all NFL teams have an equal shot at seeing him work out.

They literally "set up" the work out without telling him.  Then they provided him a contract that basically said, "Here, we'll set up a nice workout for you and you then go away and can't sue us going forward."  They gave Kaepernick and his team 2 hours to decide whether they wanted to sign that.  What?

Sorry, but you should look more into the situation before you claim Kaepernick is the one screwing up the situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: November 21, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
If you honestly believe that the NFL was doing Kaepernick a favor, you haven't been paying attention.

I kind of find myself in the middle in the Kaepernick thing.  I'm well aware that based upon other positions I believe, I'm supposed to hate him.  But I don't.  I don't necessarily agree with him on the nature of the problem he is protesting, but I do respect what he is doing.  I've frequently defended him to people who are surprised that I'm on "his side."  But I'm not really.  I also think it's legit for team owners to not want to have him on their team or deal with him.  He feels strongly about something, and he's willing to take a stand.  I respect that.  He also appears willing to accept the consequences of doing so (we can debate how serious those consequences have been).  I respect that as well.  That said, there's no question that at this point he's far more interested in being an attention-seeking activist (all the "best" activists are) than an NFL quarterback.

But, as I said, anyone who thinks that the NFL is looking to do him any favors (or thinks that he's not talented enough to play in the NFL) is absolutely delusional.

Reasonable, well-stated take.

You do realize that that's how all workouts for quarterbacks look, right?  No teams are putting on 11 on 11 scrimmages to work out potential quarterbacks, whether it's pre-draft workouts or free agents.

The NFL decided to "put on" a workout on a Saturday.  The people who would most benefit from seeing Kaepernick work out are the coaches in the NFL.  You know what coaches in the NFL are doing?  Traveling and preparing for Sunday games.  Besides Sunday, it's the worst day you could "put on" a workout for an NFL player.

By asking the question "who was the last player they've done that for?" you're getting hit smack in the face.  It was a publicity stunt.  If an NFL team wanted to see Kaepernick work out they would've set up an individual workout.  They wouldn't wait to let all NFL teams have an equal shot at seeing him work out.

They literally "set up" the work out without telling him.  Then they provided him a contract that basically said, "Here, we'll set up a nice workout for you and you then go away and can't sue us going forward."  They gave Kaepernick and his team 2 hours to decide whether they wanted to sign that.  What?

Sorry, but you should look more into the situation before you claim Kaepernick is the one screwing up the situation.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about what went on here. I won't pick on rocketman specifically because he's not alone, but yes, understanding what went on here requires looking past the "Quick List of Kaepernick Haters' Talking Points."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: November 21, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
This piece today was really well done. (Seth Wickersham) It's a little lengthy but lots of good information.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: November 21, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
So apparently an apology wasn't necessary, given that Garrett did exactly what the Tweet suggested.

Anyways, Panthers better without Cam....
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: November 21, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
This piece today was really well done. (Seth Wickersham) It's a little lengthy but lots of good information.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, they should have tried to help Spanos in San Diego.  Two teams in LA isn't going to work.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »

Yeah, they should have tried to help Spanos in San Diego.  Two teams in LA isn't going to work.

1) The league can pony up money for Spanos for San Diego.
2) He can sell to someone more wealthy that can and will privately finance a stadium.

The people of San Diego deserved better.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1224 on: November 21, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
Myles Garrett's attempt at using the race card today...