[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319609 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1125 on: November 16, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
The whole Kaepernick work out was interesting. He skipped the official closed work out and set up one of his own making it open to the press. Dueling public relations campaigns I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: November 16, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
The whole Kaepernick work out was interesting. He skipped the official closed work out and set up one of his own making it open to the press. Dueling public relations campaigns I guess.

It is weird.  I'd like to hear more.  I'm inclined to think it might have been a publicity stunt.  Maybe Nike driven?  More to come for sure.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1127 on: November 16, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »
It is weird.  I'd like to hear more.  I'm inclined to think it might have been a publicity stunt.  Maybe Nike driven?  More to come for sure.

The league held it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1128 on: November 16, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »

And wore a Kunta Kinte shirt before the event started.  You cannot make this stuff up.  This guy’s moral equivalency comparisons are something.  He sacrificed everything you know.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1129 on: November 16, 2019, 07:29:08 PM »
The league held it

No they didn’t.  He didn’t show up for the league workout which was at Falcons training site, instead having it a high school hours later.

https://theblast.com/101426/colin-kaepernick-wore-this-controversial-t-shirt-to-his-nfl-work
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1130 on: November 16, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »
No they didn’t.  He didn’t show up for the league workout which was at Falcons training site, instead having it a high school hours later.

https://theblast.com/101426/colin-kaepernick-wore-this-controversial-t-shirt-to-his-nfl-work

The league originally called it and kept changing the parameters. It was disingenuous from the start from the league.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1195833632755200001?s=21

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: November 16, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »

Why were you threatened by that t-shirt?

And yes, shame on him for wanting objective people there who could report on what actually happened rather than have it be behind closed doors so that a league that has blackballed him for 3 years could put their own spin on it.

Here's one report about the actual workout. Sounds like Kaepernick did well.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130807-colin-kaepernick-shows-strength-workout-which-49ers-attended/
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: November 16, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
Detroit needs a quarterback with Stafford out.   I hope they sign him.    The currently available scrapings from the bottom of the barrel are not impressive.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: November 16, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »
Detroit needs a quarterback with Stafford out.   I hope they sign him.    The currently available scrapings from the bottom of the barrel are not impressive.

Truly hope I'm wrong, but I will be stunned if they or any other team signs him. They'll pick up guys off the street who can't complete a 5-yard pass rather than a former Pro Bowl player who led his team to the Super Bowl and who was still pretty darn effective in an "off season" the last year he played.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1134 on: November 16, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
The league originally called it and kept changing the parameters. It was disingenuous from the start from the league.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1195833632755200001?s=21

No it wasn’t...as usual his way or the highway.  Blasted currently for his attire again...as he should be.  Wonder what socks he wore.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1135 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
No it wasn’t...as usual his way or the highway.  Blasted currently for his attire again...as he should be.  Wonder what socks he wore.

Triggered?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: November 16, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Un-freaking-hinged.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1137 on: November 16, 2019, 08:20:51 PM »
Rico

I have a standing meeting with the NFL every week.  I talk to them usually 5 days a week between email, text and phone.  On Friday we had a meeting to touch on the Garrett situation.  The NFL does this for major incidents to all of their media partners...Verizon, Amazon, CBS, ESPN, etc.  They have been doing this since the anthem protests because of the backlash that happens now and people taking sides.  They let us know how they are handling, etc..to a degree..they obviously have to respect privacy, legal and other issues, but they are heads up calls in terms of how things will be handled.

As part of that call the Kap workout also came up.  We were told it was set, would be no media, at the Falcons training camp site of which we are a major sponsor, what clubs were NOT going to be there.  The NFL loves to control things, the SHIELD is protected always.  They drive a very difficult bargain, and they control everything they can, but today was set in their minds.  Clearly he wanted to do something different, wear whatever the hell he wanted...fine.  Let’s not pretend that wasn’t his call.  He was given a forum to show for scouts.  He wanted a public affairs event...well, that’s what he got and I am sure his little stunt just gave a lot of NFL teams more pause...again.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1138 on: November 16, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
Rico

I have a standing meeting with the NFL every week.  I talk to them usually 5 days a week between email, text and phone.  On Friday we had a meeting to touch on the Garrett situation.  The NFL does this for major incidents to all of their media partners...Verizon, Amazon, CBS, ESPN, etc.  They have been doing this since the anthem protests because of the backlash that happens now and people taking sides.  They let us know how they are handling, etc..to a degree..they obviously have to respect privacy, legal and other issues, but they are heads up calls in terms of how things will be handled.

As part of that call the Kap workout also came up.  We were told it was set, would be no media, at the Falcons training camp site of which we are a major sponsor, what clubs were NOT going to be there.  The NFL loves to control things, the SHIELD is protected always.  They drive a very difficult bargain, and they control everything they can, but today was set in their minds.  Clearly he wanted to do something different, wear whatever the hell he wanted...fine.  Let’s not pretend that wasn’t his call.  He was given a forum to show for scouts.  He wanted a public affairs event...well, that’s what he got and I am sure his little stunt just gave a lot of NFL teams more pause...again.

Hope Roger Goodell let his underlings eat pizza this week. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: November 16, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Your hypocrisy is stunning...as are those you support. 

Still waiting either for proof of my hypocrisy in the Myles Garrett discussion or an apology from you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: November 16, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
Rico

Very cool!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: November 16, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »

And wore a Kunta Kinte shirt before the event started.  You cannot make this stuff up.

Oh no, nor that!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1142 on: November 16, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
...and of course when you connect her history of tweets.....

Not what is said but who said it eh?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: November 16, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
The NFL wanted to control the narrative. So did Kaep.  Not sure what the problem is with a Kunta Kinte shirt but whatever. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1144 on: November 16, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
I honestly don't know, what is the issue with him wearing a Kunta Kinte shirt? Is it just a "stick to sports" thing?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: November 16, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »

ESPN reported tonight that 24 teams were planning on attending the original practice, but with the move only eight made the workout.  One might surmise that 16 teams are no longer interested because of the change of time and venue.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: November 16, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
ESPN reported tonight that 24 teams were planning on attending the original practice, but with the move only eight made the workout.  One might surmise that 16 teams are no longer interested because of the change of time and venue.

Or one might surmise that 16 teams were completely uninterested, but were attending because the NFL asked them to. When it was moved, they said the hell with it.

Kaep's representatives say the issue was with a contract/waiver that the NFL demanded they sign, that contained language his attorneys were not ok with, and because the NFL refused to allow media to be present.

So it seems like it was staged with a contract that limited him in some way.

If that is all true, I don't blame him one bit.

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: November 17, 2019, 07:10:59 AM »

Those 16 teams could bring him in for a workout then!

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: November 17, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: November 17, 2019, 07:40:32 AM »
This is a pretty reasonable take on the whole scenario,

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2019/11/17/colin-kaepernick-nfl-workout-teams-atlanta/4221683002/

Great article.  For me, here's the critical paragraph:

'I do believe Kaepernick at least in part still wants to play — if it’s on his terms. The problem: Unless we’re self-employed, very few of us get to do our jobs on our very own terms. And even self-employed men and women have a certain code that they must adhere to.'

Both sides used each other yesterday.  The divorce is now final.

feedback