[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319763 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1075 on: November 15, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
I think if he gets a suspension for the remainder of the season -- which would be the longest suspension ever for a single on-field action -- the NFLPA would "go through the motions" and oppose it.  But they wouldn't fight too hard, and I doubt the NFL would relent.  If they suspend him into next year, I think the union might actually fight that for real.

I say give him the longer suspension and let the union fight it. The end result probably would be only for the remainder of the season, but the NFL would have sent a good message.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: November 15, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »
That one is pretty unforgivable.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: November 15, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
Criminal charges are always tricky in these situations because by playing the game, you're consenting to violence being done against you. Much of what occurs during a football game would be a crime if it occurred on the street or in a bar.
That said, the argument for charges here is that what Garrett did was so far outside the accepted violence of the game that the presumed consent no longer exists. That's been the case in a couple of NHL assaults (McSorely, Bertuzzi).
Still, as was mentioned earlier, this was in Cleveland, and I'm not sure a Cleveland prosecutor is going to see any upside in getting involved here.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: November 15, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Criminal charges are always tricky in these situations because by playing the game, you're consenting to violence being done against you. Much of what occurs during a football game would be a crime if it occurred on the street or in a bar.
That said, the argument for charges here is that what Garrett did was so far outside the accepted violence of the game that the presumed consent no longer exists. That's been the case in a couple of NHL assaults (McSorely, Bertuzzi).
Still, as was mentioned earlier, this was in Cleveland, and I'm not sure a Cleveland prosecutor is going to see any upside in getting involved here.

I just heard that lawyers are already involved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: November 15, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
I just heard that lawyers are already involved.

That's not the least bit surprising. We'll see if the Cleveland and/or Ohio prosecutors have any stomach to bring charges.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1080 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
Josina Anderson of ESPN defending Garrett’s actions and bringing race into is a special look....that tweet was deleted but she’s getting called out viciously for that take.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »
Josina Anderson of ESPN defending Garrett’s actions and bringing race into is a special look....that tweet was deleted but she’s getting called out viciously for that take.

Yeah, that's not what she said, but we're all stunned that you're going there.

Please don't ruin yet another thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:14:00 AM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1082 on: November 15, 2019, 09:17:38 AM »
Yeah, that's not what she said, but we're all stunned that you're going there.

Please don't ruin yet another thread.

Yeah, she said it and deleted it....why did she delete it....and why are you not stunned that she went their?  The hypocrisy continues.

The fact that she even remotely defended his actions and the reason why made up in her head...simply astonishing.

She has gone down this path before, as have a few of her colleagues, in the past.  That is why she is being called out for it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:45:26 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: November 15, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »

Here is her actual tweet:

"I would bet Myles Garrett will say he heard Mason Rudolph call him something egregious. Never seen Garrett act like that, ever."

You are placing your own spin on her words, that she has deleted.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: November 15, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
Just can't help himself.
Sad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: November 15, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
Funny, just Wednesday night when my son and I were talking about the game and about the Browns' playoff chances going forward (because of a very easy schedule), I commented, "well at least Garrett seems to have calmed down and gotten his crap together."  Yeah...about that.

Garrett is such a puzzling enigma.  A very quirky, intelligent, and cerebral guy off the field, but he has more than a few dirty notches under his belt before this.  Just is a bit off.

Saying that Rudolph called him something "egregious" doesn't really fly given even his teammates like would have likely had some sort of reaction to it.  Pouncey went over the line, and I'm not the biggest fan of his, but he was in protection mode and if I was a Steeler fan, I wouldn't have much issue with it.

The WORST takes I saw last night, and I'm sure Cowherd will try to parrot something similar, was ripping Baker for lightweight condemning Garrett in his postgame interview.  Saying he can expect a lot of "look out" blocking in future games and that he lost the locker room by not supporting his guy.  I mean, what?  How can you even defend that there?  He was diplomatic in his responses, spoke more to the damage it does to the team as a whole.  People are morons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: November 15, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
We’re back to unhinged cheeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: November 15, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
hoopaloop gonna hoopaloop.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1088 on: November 15, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »

It isn't unprecedented. Dino Ciccarelli was charged and convicted of assault for using his stick to bash an opponent over the head during a game. However, these charges were brought in the city Ciccarelli was playing as a visiting opponent, not as a home player.  You nail the legal principle involved here - actions outside of the accepted violence of the game. One can find plenty of examples of charges being brought in recreational games when someone crosses the line.

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/09/05/118323/north-star-on-ice-minnesotas-dino-ciccarelli-went-to-jail-for-assaulting-a-player-during-an-nhl-game
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1089 on: November 15, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
While the two Steelers linemen were whupping Garrett, a second Browns player, 305-pound lineman Larry Ogunjobi, shoved Rudolph to the ground. At the time, Rudolph was not in the altercation involving Garrett and the two Pittsburgh linemen, was just standing there defenseless, without a helmet (obviously) and had his back to Ogunjobi.

Ogunjobi deserves a game or two suspension as well ... though maybe that was "an accident," too.

Ogunjobi's spin was that he saw his "brother" getting beat up and rushed in to defend him.  The video says otherwise.  If he was rushing in to help Garrett (assuming he did not see what precipitated the melee) there was still no reason to do what he did to Rudolph.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: November 15, 2019, 11:11:15 AM »
Ogunjobi's spin was that he saw his "brother" getting beat up and rushed in to defend him.  The video says otherwise.  If he was rushing in to help Garrett (assuming he did not see what precipitated the melee) there was still no reason to do what he did to Rudolph.

Correct.

Suspend him.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: November 15, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
We’re back to unhinged cheeks.
"Back to"?  He never leaves.  This is what the guy is.  Unable to function like an adult, thus a dozen bans or whatever the number is now.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: November 15, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
NFL announced initial suspensions...but still looking into it.

Garrett - indefinitely (remainder of regular season and playoffs at minimum)
Pouncey - three games
Ogunjobi - one game

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
NFL announced initial suspensions...but still looking into it.

Garrett - indefinitely (remainder of regular season and playoffs at minimum)
Pouncey - three games
Ogunjobi - one game

No argument from me.  That feels like a decent start on this by the NFL.  We'll see if Garrett faces criminal or civil liability.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1094 on: November 15, 2019, 11:52:15 AM »
He shouldn't face criminal charges and my guess is that NFL players agree not to sue one another as part of their contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: November 15, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
No argument from me.  That feels like a decent start on this by the NFL.  We'll see if Garrett faces criminal or civil liability.

I'd think it's unlikely that he'll face either.  While I agree that there's a strong argument to be made that Garrett's actions were well beyond what NFL players consent to when they step onto the field, I'd be surprised if anyone pursues it.  If Rudolph had been injured, it would be a completely different story.  And I fail to see how he'd have any civil liability to anyone.  Again, if Rudolph had been injured (i.e., suffered damages) he'd have a case.  Absolutely it was a battery, but I just don't see him bringing the case.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: November 15, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »
I'd think it's unlikely that he'll face either.  While I agree that there's a strong argument to be made that Garrett's actions were well beyond what NFL players consent to when they step onto the field, I'd be surprised if anyone pursues it.  If Rudolph had been injured, it would be a completely different story.  And I fail to see how he'd have any civil liability to anyone.  Again, if Rudolph had been injured (i.e., suffered damages) he'd have a case.  Absolutely it was a battery, but I just don't see him bringing the case.

That's how I pretty much see it too.  Garrett is fortunate Rudolph wasn't injured.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: November 15, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
That's how I pretty much see it too.  Garrett is fortunate Rudolph wasn't injured.

And it's ironic that we're having this conversation about suspensions/fines around an ugly incident in garbage time in which nobody was injured, when there was a pretty vicious hit earlier in the game that left a player concussed and bleeding from his ear.  It's a proverbial "Man Bites Dog!" situation where we're talking about one situation because it's unusual, but there was a really disturbing but all-too-common incident earlier in the game that has been largely overshadowed. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: November 15, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
hoopaloop gonna hoopaloop.

trolls gonna troll, the most beneficial light to evaluate him in is that he just delights in getting a rise out of people by detonating threads.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: November 15, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
And it's ironic that we're having this conversation about suspensions/fines around an ugly incident in garbage time in which nobody was injured, when there was a pretty vicious hit earlier in the game that left a player concussed and bleeding from his ear.  It's a proverbial "Man Bites Dog!" situation where we're talking about one situation because it's unusual, but there was a really disturbing but all-too-common incident earlier in the game that has been largely overshadowed.

You talking about that hit in the secondary?  What I don't know because I didn't watch the game is whether bad blood had been brewing the entire contest.  There's no doubt that on that last play Rudolph was initially grabbing at Garrett's helmet.  Not at all saying he deserved what he got but one can at least understand why Garrett was angry.  Anyway, it's going to cost a few guys a helluva lot of money, minimum.

feedback