[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319601 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1050 on: November 14, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
Stafford has fractures in his back.    Detroit needs a quarterback.   May as well sign him.    He is magnitudes better than what they have with Stafford out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1051 on: November 14, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
Saturday's Kaepernick "tryout" looks like a pretty brazen, pathetic PR stunt by the NFL.

I hope I'm wrong and he gets a legit shot, but I doubt it.

I just don't understand why the NFL would do this now.  Kaepernick is largely out of the headlines, so why would you stage and promote a tryout on a Saturday during the middle of the season?  Especially when things seem to be going well for the League right now?  Now he's back with all the PR baggage that entails.  I don't get it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: November 14, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »

I just don't understand why the NFL would do this now.  Kaepernick is largely out of the headlines, so why would you stage and promote a tryout on a Saturday during the middle of the season?  Especially when things seem to be going well for the League right now?  Now he's back with all the PR baggage that entails.  I don't get it.

Maybe they see it as a win-win? If he blows everybody away at his tryout, somebody signs him and they say, "See, we're woke!" If he sucks, they say, "See, he can't play anyway." And if others claim he did well but still wasn't signed, they say, "But at least our teams know what to expect now in case one wants to sign him."

I agree that the timing is very strange, and I agree with those who say it looks like some kind of weird PR stunt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: November 14, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Maybe they figure Trump won't be interested because he's distracted by the impeachment inquiry. The Trumpian version of the 5 pm Friday news dump

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: November 14, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
Maybe they see it as a win-win? If he blows everybody away at his tryout, somebody signs him and they say, "See, we're woke!" If he sucks, they say, "See, he can't play anyway." And if others claim he did well but still wasn't signed, they say, "But at least our teams know what to expect now in case one wants to sign him."

I agree that the timing is very strange, and I agree with those who say it looks like some kind of weird PR stunt.

Its classic NFL ham-fisted bad PR.  Release something, then don't control the details coming out that make them look bad, then make it a he said, she said issue.  Its just all a mess.

The most logical take I saw was that it was arranged by a team, likely on a bye week, that wanted a look at Kap without having to deal with blowback from the announcement of a tryout.  Its one thing to deal with it when you sign him, but another before you even know what you may have.  I think its dumb, but I can see the logic in it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: November 14, 2019, 11:15:13 AM »
Its classic NFL ham-fisted bad PR.  Release something, then don't control the details coming out that make them look bad, then make it a he said, she said issue.  Its just all a mess.

The most logical take I saw was that it was arranged by a team, likely on a bye week, that wanted a look at Kap without having to deal with blowback from the announcement of a tryout.  Its one thing to deal with it when you sign him, but another before you even know what you may have.  I think its dumb, but I can see the logic in it.

Packers going for Kaep so he can't burn them in the Playoffs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
FWIW, NFL now says 11 teams have committed to attend Kaepernick's workout - Arizona, Atlanta, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Miami, New England, Jets, Giants, Tampa Bay and Washington.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1057 on: November 14, 2019, 03:39:52 PM »
Maybe they figure Trump won't be interested because he's distracted by the impeachment inquiry. The Trumpian version of the 5 pm Friday news dump

You got your plug in again...congrats
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:35 PM »
Myles Garrett should be done for the year.
What a piece of excrement.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: November 14, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »
Myles Garrett should be done for the year.
What a piece of excrement.

Agreed, at least the year.

Pouncey needs to be suspended for a few too. I know he was defending a teammate. But kicking a guy in the head when on the ground is over the top.

Rudolph should've actually be kicked out of this game too, for trying to rip off Garrett's helmet.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: November 14, 2019, 10:45:26 PM »
Agreed, at least the year.

Pouncey needs to be suspended for a few too. I know he was defending a teammate. But kicking a guy in the head when on the ground is over the top.

He'll get a suspension, but there were exceptional mitigating circumstances there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: November 14, 2019, 10:46:17 PM »
Garrett should be suspended the rest of the season.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: November 14, 2019, 10:51:09 PM »
He'll get a suspension, but there were exceptional mitigating circumstances there.

You are right. A one game suspension would be plenty to get the point across re. Pouncey.

Garrett though, done for at least the year. That was terrible.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: November 14, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
I was surprised Rudolph seemed unfazed by that helmet hit.

I'll also say that once Rudolph's helmet came off, he should have gotten out of there. I thought once that fight started, Rudolph would get hit by someone with a helmet in the course of the fight, but obviously not that way.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1064 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:54 PM »
You are right. A one game suspension would be plenty to get the point across re. Pouncey.

Garrett though, done for at least the year. That was terrible.

Huh....

Garrett AND Pouncey should be done for the year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: November 14, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
Huh....

Nah. Pouncey was acting under extreme provocation and his actions, while severe, weren't close to as dangerous as Garrett's.
Punching a guy in the facemask and taking a kick at his helmet is hardly comparable.

Garrett literally could have killed Rudolph. What Pouncey did never posed a threat of serious harm to Garrett. Equal punishment here would be a joke.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: November 14, 2019, 11:26:39 PM »
Huh....

Regarding Pouncey, I can see it both ways.

In a vacuum. Anyone that attacked a player like he did, repeatedly punching then kicking a downed player, should be done for multiple games/the year.

But Pakuni has a point regarding the mitigating circumstances. Maybe a game or two given the mitigating circumstances. I think it should be longer, but understand why it may be shorter than I'd normally expect.

Garrett's is infinitely clear. Done for the year. Honestly, he should be charged with assault and thrown in jail.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: November 14, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
Nah. Pouncey was acting under extreme provocation and his actions, while severe, weren't close to as dangerous as Garrett's.
Punching a guy in the facemask and taking a kick at his helmet is hardly comparable.

Garrett literally could have killed Rudolph. What Pouncey did never posed a threat of serious harm to Garrett. Equal punishment here would be a joke.

Agreed.

Garrett just faced reporters and he was contrite, but more for how it affected the Browns. He also called it "an accident."

He needs to be gone for the rest of the season, minimum. Maybe some of next season, too.

Pouncey? Maybe 2 games.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1068 on: November 14, 2019, 11:43:01 PM »
Agreed.

Garrett just faced reporters and he was contrite, but more for how it affected the Browns. He also called it "an accident."

He needs to be gone for the rest of the season, minimum. Maybe some of next season, too.

Pouncey? Maybe 2 games.

Burfict got 12 games. He’s a ridiculously dirty player but has never done anything this bad. 16 for Garrett is fair.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1069 on: November 15, 2019, 06:23:31 AM »
The browns will always be the browns.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: November 15, 2019, 07:10:37 AM »
Funny, just Wednesday night when my son and I were talking about the game and about the Browns' playoff chances going forward (because of a very easy schedule), I commented, "well at least Garrett seems to have calmed down and gotten his crap together."  Yeah...about that.

Honestly, he should be charged with assault and thrown in jail.

In this regard, he may be fortunate that it happened in Cleveland.  A local prosecutor is less likely to take a stand to make a name for him/herself than someone in Pittsburgh would have been.  But it'd probably be unlikely anywhere.

Burfict got 12 games. He’s a ridiculously dirty player but has never done anything this bad. 16 for Garrett is fair.

I also think Garrett's is worse, but I'd be a bit surprised if he gets a longer suspension than Burfict.  The league made it clear that Burfict's suspension was largely because he had so many prior suspensions.  That said, placing the two incidents side by side, I think Garrett's is unquestionably worse.  And that's coming from someone who thought Burfict's was really bad and absolutely warranted the suspension it received.

But I'm a Browns fan.  It might just be wishful thinking that it'll only be the remainder of the season.  I really was hoping that he had things under control.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:30 AM »
Honestly, I just saw the clip and don't yet know the entire backstory.  But it is fair to think that when you beat a defenseless guy upside his head with his own helmet that criminal charges might be in play?  Holy crap already.

Edit: Okay, watched some more.  While the kicking was out of line, those O lineman had a duty to take Garrett out in whatever way was necessary including punches, etc.  There was no other line of defense at that moment.  Their QB had just been assaulted.  And yes, criminal charges are in order.  If that happened in a bar fight Garrett would be in cuffs and going to jail.  Guaranteed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:38:34 AM by jsglow »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: November 15, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »
While the two Steelers linemen were whupping Garrett, a second Browns player, 305-pound lineman Larry Ogunjobi, shoved Rudolph to the ground. At the time, Rudolph was not in the altercation involving Garrett and the two Pittsburgh linemen, was just standing there defenseless, without a helmet (obviously) and had his back to Ogunjobi.

Ogunjobi deserves a game or two suspension as well ... though maybe that was "an accident," too.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »
This ain't going to go well for the Cleveland football Browns.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: November 15, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »
I think if he gets a suspension for the remainder of the season -- which would be the longest suspension ever for a single on-field action -- the NFLPA would "go through the motions" and oppose it.  But they wouldn't fight too hard, and I doubt the NFL would relent.  If they suspend him into next year, I think the union might actually fight that for real.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.