[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319771 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1025 on: November 10, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »
Saints 2-3 in their last 5 games started by Drew Brees. Saints 5-0 in their last 5 games started by Teddy Bridgewater. Pretty damning. Saints better without Brees...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1027 on: November 10, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
Saints 2-3 in their last 5 games started by Drew Brees. Saints 5-0 in their last 5 games started by Teddy Bridgewater. Pretty damning. Saints better without Brees...

Cam had McCaffrey run for 130 yards in the opening game and still lost at home.  Kamala today, 24 yards rushing. 

Panthers haven’t won a game with Cam QB in over a year.  Saints won just last week.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: November 10, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »

https://www.mtairynews.com/opinion/78982/newton-is-no-more-than-average

Why are you changing the subject? Oh wait. Stupid question. It's what you do.

The ellipsis at the end of my sentence fragment obvious meant there was more to come. And anybody with even half a brain knew exactly what I meant by "Saints better without Brees...."

"The New Orleans Saints are better without Drew Brees performing at a substandard level. If Brees is going to be substandard, it would be better if an undefeated New Orleans quarterback such as Teddy Bridgewater, when healthy, could guide the Saints."

I mean, duh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: November 10, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »

https://www.mtairynews.com/opinion/78982/newton-is-no-more-than-average

Guys, the news editor from the heavy hitting Mt Airy News has spoken.  Argument over. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: November 10, 2019, 11:23:14 PM »
Guys, the news editor from the heavy hitting Mt Airy News has spoken.  Argument over.

Not only that, but everyone knows that "Saints better without Brees" clearly meant, "Saints better without Brees getting sacked 6 times."

Because when you make a dopey statement, it's ok as long as you tack on an ellipsis. That way, when you're called on it, you can justify it by claiming everybody should have known you obviously meant something else. Because ... you know ... ellipsis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: November 11, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
Analytics.

In theory it makes sense with that much time left. You’re going to get at least 2 more possessions, so I’d you cut it to 6 you can get 2 field goals and send it to overtime. If you don’t get it you still have the chance to go for 2 and tie the game.

Rivera indeed said it was analytics, but not for the reason above.

“That was purely analytics, 100 percent. The thing is, if you get it there and you score at the end, then you’re kicking to win the game. If you don’t get it there, you get an opportunity to go for two again, which we felt pretty good about the play we had called the first time and we felt good about having the second one. It most certainly was just following the analytics of it.”

I disagree with that thinking. And I continue to wonder if most NFL or college coaches would have gone for 2 there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1032 on: November 11, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »

That article was hard to read with all the dog whistling going on in the background.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: November 11, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Rivera indeed said it was analytics, but not for the reason above.

“That was purely analytics, 100 percent. The thing is, if you get it there and you score at the end, then you’re kicking to win the game. If you don’t get it there, you get an opportunity to go for two again, which we felt pretty good about the play we had called the first time and we felt good about having the second one. It most certainly was just following the analytics of it.”

I disagree with that thinking. And I continue to wonder if most NFL or college coaches would have gone for 2 there.

Most NFL coaches would not.  I personally like it.  With 6 minutes I'd probably kick the field goal as all you have left after that is 1 more possession.  With 11 minutes left you're almost certainly getting 2 more possessions so if you get it you can kick a field goal on your next possession and be within a field goal to tie the game.  And as he says, if you don't get it you still can go for 2 again after the next touchdown you need to get.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: November 11, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
As a Packers fan, I hate that he went for two and gave them a chance to win in regulation. That probably means it was the right decision. I thought it was smart. You're the underdog on the road, give yourself a chance to win without OT.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1035 on: November 11, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
As a Packers fan, I hate that he went for two and gave them a chance to win in regulation. That probably means it was the right decision. I thought it was smart. You're the underdog on the road, give yourself a chance to win without OT.

That was my thinking, as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: November 11, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »

Sure. But if you just kick the PAT, you're down 7. And then if you score on the last play of regulation, you can assess things and decide then if you want to try to win in regulation or go into OT.

Not necessarily saying one is "right" or "wrong," just that kicking with 11 minutes to go wouldn't stop you from going for the regulation win later.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: November 11, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
Sure. But if you just kick the PAT, you're down 7. And then if you score on the last play of regulation, you can assess things and decide then if you want to try to win in regulation or go into OT.

Not necessarily saying one is "right" or "wrong," just that kicking with 11 minutes to go wouldn't stop you from going for the regulation win later.

With the weather the way it was, I don’t know that a PAT was an automatic. That would make the percentages lean even more towards going for 2 there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: November 11, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
With the weather the way it was, I don’t know that a PAT was an automatic. That would make the percentages lean even more towards going for 2 there.

At the time, after I spent a minute scratching my head in disbelief, I actually thought what you just said might be what Rivera was thinking. But that's not what he said afterward.

And of course, if he misses that PAT, you still have a chance to tie with a TD and 2 point conversion.

It's an interesting discussion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1039 on: November 11, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »

Happy to provide others...one was CBS.  ESPN another...many others.

https://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-rumors-panthers-team-game-proving-better-without-cam-newton-2845668
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:16:36 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »

That article was hard to read with all the dog whistling going on in the background.

LOL...yeah...that must be it...cannot say anything bad about a QB that hasn’t won in a year if that QB is of a certain race, creed, religion, etc...check.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:37 PM »
Not sure why you keep arguing with yourself, hoopy.

You yourself said at least a half dozen times that a healthy Cam Newton is great, and that the Panthers are only better without him when he's hurt. Are you changing your tune now? Are you saying that even if Cam were 100% healthy, the Panthers would be better without him?

Are you denying that Saints better without Brees.... is not every bit as true as
Panthers better without Cam....? Didn't you claim that the truth of such statements obviously depend upon what the writer is implying with the ellipsis?

Bama better without Tua....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: November 11, 2019, 10:08:37 PM »
Happy to provide others...one was CBS.  ESPN another...many others.

https://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-rumors-panthers-team-game-proving-better-without-cam-newton-2845668

This article doesn't say what you claimed it does.
Shocking, I know.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:11 PM »
San Fran coach challenges on spot on 4th down. Ices his own kicker who shanks it as bad as you possibly can. Not sure if it was a great idea to challenge the spot and let the rookie ponder the biggest kick in his entire life for a couple minutes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1044 on: November 11, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
This article doesn't say what you claimed it does.
Shocking, I know.

Sure. It. Does.

But hey, if you don’t like that one...plenty more that state what I have...healthy Allen better than unhealthy Newton.  Panthers better off in that situation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1045 on: November 11, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
San Fran coach challenges on spot on 4th down. Ices his own kicker who shanks it as bad as you possibly can. Not sure if it was a great idea to challenge the spot and let the rookie ponder the biggest kick in his entire life for a couple minutes.

Maybe, but if they get that reversal it is a first down and you get keep running plays to get closer.  Seattle iced him as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: November 11, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
Sure. It. Does.

But hey, if you don’t like that one...plenty more that state what I have...healthy Allen better than unhealthy Newton.  Panthers better off in that situation.

If that’s what you had said not one person would disagree with you. What’s funny is that you believe you have some superior football knowledge to everyone because you “stated” that when you didn’t state that at all.

Pretzel Cheeks is at it again!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: November 11, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »

Challenges in OT are ref-initiated

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: November 11, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »
Challenges in OT are ref-initiated

Did not know that. Makes more sense. Thank you for the information.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: November 14, 2019, 09:21:36 AM »
Saturday's Kaepernick "tryout" looks like a pretty brazen, pathetic PR stunt by the NFL.

I hope I'm wrong and he gets a legit shot, but I doubt it.

feedback