[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319736 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #800 on: October 27, 2019, 10:34:33 PM »
What a joy to see a 2019 offense instead of a 2009 offense.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #801 on: October 27, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
I think it’s more about the weapons each team has. KC fears absolutely no receiving options the Packers have with Davante out, nor should they.

Guess they should have feared that 33 fellow.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
Guess they should have feared that 33 fellow.

I texted my kid right before the 2 minute, 3rd down play.  33 iso Bob.   ;D

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #803 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
Kitchens, I think.  Penalties and turnovers are bad in Cleveland.  Turnovers can be fluky but Cleveland lacks discipline

Tony Romo openly laughing at Kitchens and that intentional false start on 4th and 11 was entertaining television.  Again, why you would hire that guy based mostly on Baker Mayfield liking him, is beyond me.  And Dorsey is a good GM too.

As a friend of mine who is a Browns fan said, "It's like buying a race car and hiring Mr. Magoo to drive it."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #804 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
What a joy to see a 2019 offense instead of a 2009 offense.

I have been a Mccarthy fan for most of his duration (The last two years proved it was time), but my God: 2019 Aaron Jones is the most damning indictment of Mccarthy I can think of.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #805 on: October 28, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »

Tony Romo openly laughing at Kitchens and that intentional false start on 4th and 11 was entertaining television.  Again, why you would hire that guy based mostly on Baker Mayfield liking him, is beyond me.  And Dorsey is a good GM too.

As a friend of mine who is a Browns fan said, "It's like buying a race car and hiring Mr. Magoo to drive it."

I think it was more the offense looked great when they turned it around the last 8 games, and they wanted continuity.  That being said, Dorsey is better than that.  I was shocked when they hired him, and he's not disappointed my skepticism.

Then a really bad football game broke out. The Bears need to go back to Ground Zero. Trubisky isn't working. At least not with Nagy, a so called "offensive genius." Trubisky at times showed flashes of greatness and at times led us to wonder whether there was an emotional breakdown in grade school football. Four times the team was inside the 5. Four field goals. You don't win that way.

The amazing thing is Trubisky showed enough to almost pull it out. But the coach either didn't trust him or his offense. Ten yards closer and that last field goal was an automatic

I don't mean to pick on you, cause you're certainly not the only one, but there is this narrative of "Trubisky did what he needed to do to get the win at the end".  Which is awful, because the Chargers aren't in this game without Trubisky being horrific and turning the ball over inexplicably.  This was one of the most frustrating and "this dude doesnt have it" games of his career. 

2 plays stood out to me, besides the obvious.
1) Chargers jump offsides, blatantly, clearly a free play, Mitch panicks at throws to a dump off in the flat that is incomplete because (i think Montgomery) isn't even expecting the ball cause why not try a vertical route when there is already a defensive flag on the field.  Speaks to his pocket presence or lack thereof

2) For all his faults, he has been a great runner his whole career.  He had a wide open path to sprint to the end zone at one point that he ignored and stayed to dance in the pocket and throw incomplete.

Then Nagy, sheesh.  Horrific game management and planning.  If that end of game scenario wasn't bad enough, his complete asinine response to questions about it in the press conference, which also showed no confidence in himself or his offense, was kind of the final straw for me.  Don't really know where they go from here, but this team isn't worth being invested in until they have a new QB and HC.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #806 on: October 28, 2019, 12:50:53 PM »

I don't mean to pick on you, cause you're certainly not the only one, but there is this narrative of "Trubisky did what he needed to do to get the win at the end".  Which is awful, because the Chargers aren't in this game without Trubisky being horrific and turning the ball over inexplicably. 

The same narrative was being said about Tebow during his one season as Denver's starter. He was putrid, but he'd make a play or two to help win a close game, and it was, "Maybe Tebow struggles some, but he comes through in the clutch." Of course, if he wasn't one of the worst starting NFL QBs of this decade, the Broncos wouldn't have had to come from behind so often.

Elway confirmed that by dumping Tebow at his first opportunity after that season, and the Jets found out quickly that he was a sham.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to be a pro QB, because Tebow obviously was a heck of a college player.

Trubisky is more skilled than Tebow ... but maybe not much more. It will be interesting to see where his story goes from here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #807 on: October 28, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
The same narrative was being said about Tebow during his one season as Denver's starter. He was putrid, but he'd make a play or two to help win a close game, and it was, "Maybe Tebow struggles some, but he comes through in the clutch." Of course, if he wasn't one of the worst starting NFL QBs of this decade, the Broncos wouldn't have had to come from behind so often.

Elway confirmed that by dumping Tebow at his first opportunity after that season, and the Jets found out quickly that he was a sham.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to be a pro QB, because Tebow obviously was a heck of a college player.

Trubisky is more skilled than Tebow ... but maybe not much more. It will be interesting to see where his story goes from here.

I'm not fan of Tebow and I thought the narratives behind him were always so tired.  "He has a greater will to win!" "He will be a successful QB cause he wants it so bad and will outwork people"  Which was hilarious to me cause his greatest "intangibles" are something that basically everyone has to be an NFL starter.  That being said, I do think Tebow was a pretty good football mind, he knew how to perform in crunch time within his abilities, and he was confident.  Unfortunately, I don't think Trubisky is any of those things.  He has a ton of physical ability (way more than Tebow for the position), but when you combine what a project he is physically/QB technique/tools he is with what a headcase he is, and add in a coach who has no confidence in him or his offense.  He's toast

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #808 on: October 28, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
I don't know if there is a worse opponent for the Bears than the Eagles this coming Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the Niners/Pack/Saints/Pats would truck the Bears right now, but considering how their season ended last year, how their game ended yesterday, going to a Philly team that might be finding it's stride, I have a feeling the Bears are going to get thrashed on Sunday afternoon. Just looking at this on the surface, I see really bad things coming this week ahead.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm not fan of Tebow and I thought the narratives behind him were always so tired.  "He has a greater will to win!" "He will be a successful QB cause he wants it so bad and will outwork people"  Which was hilarious to me cause his greatest "intangibles" are something that basically everyone has to be an NFL starter.  That being said, I do think Tebow was a pretty good football mind, he knew how to perform in crunch time within his abilities, and he was confident.  Unfortunately, I don't think Trubisky is any of those things.  He has a ton of physical ability (way more than Tebow for the position), but when you combine what a project he is physically/QB technique/tools he is with what a headcase he is, and add in a coach who has no confidence in him or his offense.  He's toast

Reasonable take. Tebow simply wasn't good enough. Trubisky appears to have ability -- obviously, or the Bears wouldn't have traded up to draft him -- so it must be frustrating to watch him suck.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #810 on: October 28, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Trubisky is at his best playing on pure physical ability and instinct (end of game drives, for example). But my God, when he has to think through anything, he's putrid.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #811 on: October 28, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
I have an observation about two organizations heading in different directions.  One was afraid to hand the ball off to get a bit closer for their kicker and wasted 40+ seconds rather than run an offense, literally any offense.  The other took the ball backed up at the 2 yard line and executed an absolutely perfect 4 minute drill sealing the game by putting the ball in the best player's hand and asking him to make a play with an emerging star on the last play that mattered.  Both were textbook.  All that one really needs to know.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #812 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:32 PM »
I have an observation about two organizations heading in different directions.  One was afraid to hand the ball off to get a bit closer for their kicker and wasted 40+ seconds rather than run an offense, literally any offense.  The other took the ball backed up at the 2 yard line and executed an absolutely perfect 4 minute drill sealing the game by putting the ball in the best player's hand and asking him to make a play with an emerging star on the last play that mattered.  Both were textbook.  All that one really needs to know.

I'm not going to argue that the Packers look good and the Bears...don't.  But one team has a guarenteed HOF, argument for top talent to ever play the position under center.  And the other has an unproven shaky starter who has a knack for terrible decision making. Hell, Aaron Jones is in his second season as a feature back.  The Bears were handing it off to someone who broke 100 yards for the first time that afternoon.  I'm not excusing Nagy being a spineless coach devoid of ideas right now, but its hardly equal scenarios.  This wasn't "I'll take your 11 and beat you with them"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #813 on: October 28, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
I'm not going to argue that the Packers look good and the Bears...don't.  But one team has a guarenteed HOF, argument for top talent to ever play the position under center.  And the other has an unproven shaky starter who has a knack for terrible decision making. Hell, Aaron Jones is in his second season as a feature back.  The Bears were handing it off to someone who broke 100 yards for the first time that afternoon.  I'm not excusing Nagy being a spineless coach devoid of ideas right now, but its hardly equal scenarios.  This wasn't "I'll take your 11 and beat you with them"

As my kids remind me often..... 'The Bears Still Suck!'   ;D

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #814 on: October 28, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
I don't know if there is a worse opponent for the Bears than the Eagles this coming Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the Niners/Pack/Saints/Pats would truck the Bears right now, but considering how their season ended last year, how their game ended yesterday, going to a Philly team that might be finding it's stride, I have a feeling the Bears are going to get thrashed on Sunday afternoon. Just looking at this on the surface, I see really bad things coming this week ahead.

I actually think the Bears win this one. I think they have a come to Jesus meeting and take the revenge on Philly.

Now, I am historically terrible at predictions, so take it for what it's worth (worth less than a grain free hamburger bun).

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #815 on: October 29, 2019, 07:46:21 AM »
I'm not going to argue that the Packers look good and the Bears...don't.  But one team has a guarenteed HOF, argument for top talent to ever play the position under center.  And the other has an unproven shaky starter who has a knack for terrible decision making.

Might I remind you that the Green Bay Packers saw Aaron Rodgers slip to 22nd in the draft and snapped him up so quick no one knew what hit the NFL world, even though they had an HOFer on the roster in Brett Favre. The Packers did the PACKER thing (probably from living through the years of Lynn Dickey and John Hadl).

By contrast, the Bears had a choice of three quarterbacks -- Patrick Mahomes, who may well end up being a first round HOFer, DeShawn Watson, who is showing himself to be a very good quarterback, and Trubisky. The Bears did the BEAR thing and drafted the most questionable of the three.

• All American
« Reply #816 on: October 29, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
Might I remind you that the Green Bay Packers saw Aaron Rodgers slip to 22nd in the draft and snapped him up so quick no one knew what hit the NFL world, even though they had an HOFer on the roster in Brett Favre. The Packers did the PACKER thing (probably from living through the years of Lynn Dickey and John Hadl).

By contrast, the Bears had a choice of three quarterbacks -- Patrick Mahomes, who may well end up being a first round HOFer, DeShawn Watson, who is showing himself to be a very good quarterback, and Trubisky. The Bears did the BEAR thing and drafted the most questionable of the three.

This is ridiculous.  The Packers got extremely lucky that Rodgers fell.  I don't think they had any intention of drafting him and never dreamed it would be available then.  It's not as though they drafted up to get him either.

The Bears join a long list of teams that guessed wrong on a quarterback. 

It has nothing to do with being a Packer thing or a Bear thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #817 on: October 29, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
He's no Andre Ware, Joey Harrington, Terry Fair, Aaron Gibson, Charles Rogers, Kevin Jones, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims, Gosder Cherilus, Jahvid Best, Nick Fairley, Laken Tomlinson, (hint: all first round picks by the Lions) but then again, there is a reason the Lions have won one playoff game in my lifetime.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #818 on: October 29, 2019, 08:16:13 AM »

This is ridiculous.  The Packers got extremely lucky that Rodgers fell.  I don't think they had any intention of drafting him and never dreamed it would be available then.  It's not as though they drafted up to get him either.

I don't know about Packer things or Bear things, either. What I do know is that even though they had a HoF QB who was still playing at a high level, the Packers resisted the urge to "draft for need" and they grabbed a QB, who just so happens to be destined for the HoF. The move actually was a little controversial at the time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #819 on: October 29, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »

Exactly. “The Packer thing”...which at the time had netted the exact same number of titles since Lombardi left as those incompetent Bears.

It was a bit controversial as Mike mentioned, but it was still getting a QB many thought could go #1, at 22. Not like finding Wilson in the 3rd or Brady in the 6th.

• All American
« Reply #820 on: October 29, 2019, 08:39:00 AM »
Exactly. “The Packer thing”...which at the time had netted the exact same number of titles since Lombardi left as those incompetent Bears.

It was a bit controversial as Mike mentioned, but it was still getting a QB many thought could go #1, at 22. Not like finding Wilson in the 3rd or Brady in the 6th.

Packers have one more than the Bears since that time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #821 on: October 29, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
Kyle Allen to start again this Sunday vs. Titans, as Rivera says Cam is still rehabbing. As much as my wife and I would like to see No. 1 back, it's the right decision if he's not physically ready. Allen was horrendous against San Fran, but he was hardly the team's only problem. They were soundly whipped in every single phase of the game. Need to play much, much better.

And on a related note ...

Panthers-Packers game on Nov. 10 has been "flexed" to a 4:25 ET/3:25 CT kickoff so it can be Fox's premier game. If the Panthers play anywhere near as poorly as they did at San Fran, the NFL/Fox might regret this decision. But being an optimist I'm looking for a big turnaround for this week's home game vs. Tennessee and then a good performance against AR & Co. in GB.

• All American
« Reply #822 on: October 29, 2019, 08:49:23 AM »
Kyle Allen to start again this Sunday vs. Titans, as Rivera says Cam is still rehabbing. As much as my wife and I would like to see No. 1 back, it's the right decision if he's not physically ready. Allen was horrendous against San Fran, but he was hardly the team's only problem. They were soundly whipped in every single phase of the game. Need to play much, much better.

And on a related note ...

Panthers-Packers game on Nov. 10 has been "flexed" to a 4:25 ET/3:25 CT kickoff so it can be Fox's premier game. If the Panthers play anywhere near as poorly as they did at San Fran, the NFL/Fox might regret this decision. But being an optimist I'm looking for a big turnaround for this week's home game vs. Tennessee and then a good performance against AR & Co. in GB.

They had to flex something into that late slot since the Rams at Steelers game isn't going to be much of one.  And the other choices weren't much better. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #823 on: October 29, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

They had to flex something into that late slot since the Rams at Steelers game isn't going to be much of one.  And the other choices weren't much better.

Yep.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #824 on: October 29, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
Pack also drafted Rich (sucks) Campbell back in the day, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback