[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319785 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #750 on: October 25, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #751 on: October 25, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
Last time the Bears traded for what they thought was a Number 1 quarterback, we ended up with Kordell Stewart.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #752 on: October 25, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
If they'd chance that stupid logo (and name) , the Skins color scheme is still classic. I'm partial to their 'RadioShack' throwbacks of yesteryear. Wish the NFL would get rid of the one shell rule for unis like this.

As for the Vikes, their purple of choice is stupid, but I thought the yellow lettering was much better than white, and somehow more of a bad thing with the purple made it better?

Since the vast majority of Native Americans don’t want the name changed, why change it? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #753 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
Mariota, Rivers, Brady, Bridgewater (no way NO is going to be able to afford Teddy and Drew).

My personal choice (of current NFL QBs) would be Foles. Assuming Jax is happy with Minshew going forward. Foles is talented and has experience in a Reid offense.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Benefit of the doubt.

Not needed.  He was a decent college QB with intriguing physical abilities.  He was on an 8-5 team that put up gaudy numbers cause of Fedora's system.  He certainly wasn't drafted because of his college performance.

Id love Bridgewater (unlikely), doubt Jax parts with Foles after just a season when Minshew has been fine but not other worldly.  Mariota intrigues me cause I think Tennessee was never a good situation or fit, but I feel like he may have the same issues Trubisky does.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #755 on: October 25, 2019, 02:46:01 PM »
There’s only one QB out there who could probably be available (unless Brady really opts out after this year and is genuine about being an UFA.

It would be incredibly complicated to trade for him, it’d be more akin to an NBA trade due to his cap number, but Matt Ryan is the guy.

Don’t get me wrong, his cap number is enormous next year, the Bears would have to send something like Mitch (for cap purposes), Roquan Smith, and their 2021 #1 to get Ryan. They then would have to restructure Mack, let Floyd walk, and cut Long, they’ll probably do all those things anyway, but it would take some creativity to make happen.

I think the Falcons would trade Ryan in a heartbeat if they could. The complexity of the cap ramifications will prevent it though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 25, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
Cam Newton might be available. Seriously.

If the Panthers continue doing well without him, he probably will not get his starting job back even if healthy. He'll officially be Wally Pipped by Kyle Allen. The Panthers could cut him after this season and save nearly $20 million off the salary cap.

He turned 30 in May.

He'd be a gamble for a team, obviously, but he presumably would be relatively healthy after taking off most of this season.

Not sure Chicago would be the best landing spot for him, but who knows?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 25, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
Bears better without Cam....
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 25, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Bears better without Cam....

Made me chuckle.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #759 on: October 25, 2019, 03:30:40 PM »
Cam Newton might be available. Seriously.

If the Panthers continue doing well without him, he probably will not get his starting job back even if healthy. He'll officially be Wally Pipped by Kyle Allen. The Panthers could cut him after this season and save nearly $20 million off the salary cap.

He turned 30 in May.

He'd be a gamble for a team, obviously, but he presumably would be relatively healthy after taking off most of this season.

Not sure Chicago would be the best landing spot for him, but who knows?

I disagree, Mike (although you have watched Allen more than I have and probably are better informed). I don't think Allen would be any better than Trubisky.

Allen has McCaffrey. Trubisky has, I don't know, maybe some guys that averages 2 yards a carry and have to be switched out depending on whether a pass or run is called.

I've made clear that I have never been a fan of Cam, but I still think he is way, way better than Allen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:15:43 PM by Jockey »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 25, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
I disagree, Mike (although you have watched Allen more than I have and probably are better informed). I don't think Allen would be any better than Trubisky.

Allen has McCaffrey. Trubisky has, I don't know, maybe some guys that averages 2 yards a carry and have to be switched out depending on whether a pass or run is called.

I've made clear that I have never been a fan of Cam, but I still think he is way, way better than Cam.

I have been a big fan of Cam; he arrived in Charlotte less than a year after I did, and I have very much enjoyed watching him play. He took the Panthers to the Super Bowl, did things no other QB has, and also has matured into a community leader.

And I was very skeptical of Allen because there just aren't many success stories of QBs with similar background. But Allen is 4-0 this season, with 2 very good games, 1 OK game and 1 where he was pretty bad but still made a couple of huge plays. He hasn't thrown a single interception, though he has lost a bunch of fumbles because he has not yet developed a good sense of where defenders are when he's in the pocket.

Whether Allen actually is "better" than Newton might have little to do with anything, and my opinion of the two has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It's about $$$.

After this season, Newton will have 1 year left on his contract at $21M plus. The Panthers will have to make this choice: Do we pay a guy who has a lot of miles on him, who has been injured in each of the last 4 seasons and who might never again be as good as he was back in 2015? Or do we save $19M+ off the salary cap and go with the QB who, despite having little experience, led us to a winning season (if that indeed is what happens)?

If Allen's success continues and I were Panthers GM/owner, I'd have to say, "Thanks Cam, it's been great, but business is business," and roll the dice with the much less-expensive QB.

Don't get my pragmatism confused with me suddenly "disliking" Newton. That's life in the NFL; teams have to make difficult decisions like this all the time. The Panthers did similar when they cut loose Steve Smith back in 2013.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 25, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »
I have been a big fan of Cam; he arrived in Charlotte less than a year after I did, and I have very much enjoyed watching him play. He took the Panthers to the Super Bowl, did things no other QB has, and also has matured into a community leader.

And I was very skeptical of Allen because there just aren't many success stories of QBs with similar background. But Allen is 4-0 this season, with 2 very good games, 1 OK game and 1 where he was pretty bad but still made a couple of huge plays. He hasn't thrown a single interception, though he has lost a bunch of fumbles because he has not yet developed a good sense of where defenders are when he's in the pocket.

Whether Allen actually is "better" than Newton might have little to do with anything, and my opinion of the two has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It's about $$$.

After this season, Newton will have 1 year left on his contract at $21M plus. The Panthers will have to make this choice: Do we pay a guy who has a lot of miles on him, who has been injured in each of the last 4 seasons and who might never again be as good as he was back in 2015? Or do we save $19M+ off the salary cap and go with the QB who, despite having little experience, led us to a winning season (if that indeed is what happens)?

If Allen's success continues and I were Panthers GM/owner, I'd have to say, "Thanks Cam, it's been great, but business is business," and roll the dice with the much less-expensive QB.

Don't get my pragmatism confused with me suddenly "disliking" Newton. That's life in the NFL; teams have to make difficult decisions like this all the time. The Panthers did similar when they cut loose Steve Smith back in 2013.

I was just speaking in terms of talent.

I agree with you 100% on the decision. I'm guessing it would take 4 years / $125M to keep Cam. That's a lot of beans to spend elsewhere if they feel Allen will be at least an adequate QB in the future.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 25, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
I was just speaking in terms of talent.

I agree with you 100% on the decision. I'm guessing it would take 4 years / $125M to keep Cam. That's a lot of beans to spend elsewhere if they feel Allen will be at least an adequate QB in the future.

Yep, that's the thing. If the Panthers don't part ways with Cam, and he gets healthy again, he'd be in for a huge payday. The way things stand now, though, I don't see anybody paying him anywhere near that kind of money.

I hope he gets healthy. Then we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I've enjoyed being very pleasantly surprised by the play of the next Kurt Warner! Allen will get a good test Sunday at San Fran -- a very good defensive team, and one playing at home.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #763 on: October 27, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
Doink!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #764 on: October 27, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
That last drive of the half is the perfect Trubisky/Nagy drive. Summarizes them perfectly.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 27, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
That last drive of the half is the perfect Trubisky/Nagy drive. Summarizes them perfectly.

And that summary is?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #766 on: October 27, 2019, 01:35:14 PM »

I've made clear that I have never been a fan of Cam, but I still think he is way, way better than Allen.

This morning the NFL talking heads were saying as a pure passer, Allen is better and it is not close.  In terms of all around better athlete, it is Cam, but the team is built more as a passing team now with McCaffrey providing the running.  As several said this a.m., Allen may be better for this team right now the way it is constructed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 27, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
And that summary is?

Awful clock management, disjointed playcalling, bad decisions, poor reads.

That was comically bad.

Bears have 9 plays from inside Chargers 10 yard line today. They have gained zero yards on those 9 plays. Zero.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 27, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
Awful clock management, disjointed playcalling, bad decisions, poor reads.

That was comically bad.

Bears have 9 plays from inside Chargers 10 yard line today. They have gained zero yards on those 9 plays. Zero.

You were on this early, Dish.

The guy is a brutal coach.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 27, 2019, 02:32:25 PM »
My God. The season is over. But the organization has to move on from Mitch

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #770 on: October 27, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
My God. The season is over. But the organization has to move on from Mitch

It’s amazing how much he has regressed.  His confidence, at the moment, is shattered
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #771 on: October 27, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »
Alas, the Chargers are a tonic for all your football problems
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American