collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319852 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #700 on: October 21, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
I've defended Mitch Trubisky from the day they drafted him. I thought the Bears would ultimately develop an NFL quarterback who, with THAT defense, can lead the team to greater heights.

Silly me!

I've been a Bear season ticket holder for 25 years (and Packer fan to boot, so that's another story) and I don't think I have been as angry at a Bears game as I was yesterday. The Frisbee football teams that competed at halftime were better equipped for the Bear game yesterday than the Bears were. Trubisky doesn't have it and looking at the passes he missed, never will.

The Saints were almost daring him to throw downfield, in a defense reminiscent of the Rex Grossman ("Sexy Rexy") era. They know if Trubisky did, the pass would either be incomplete (overthrown) or intercepted. I doubt another year of mentoring, training or preparing will change anything. In short, Trubisky seemed lost.

Jay Cutler -- are you fit and ready to play? He'd be an improvement!

The Bears are screwed. They gave up next year's first rounder for Khalil Mack, so it's at least two years before things change. And how good will the defense be then? And that's not to mention the need for back-ups and replacements over the period.

Wonder if Mack wishes he'd signed with Green Bay right now?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #701 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
Anyone who watched GB and then the Bears got an easy lesson why Trubisky is just a poor man’s Tim Tebow.

Given that Tebow is one of the worst NFL QBs in many, many years ... and you're saying Trubisky isn't even that good ... yikes!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:11:23 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #702 on: October 21, 2019, 02:36:34 PM »
There is nothing more damaging to an NFL franchise than being wrong about the QB it drafts high in the first round.

This Packers fan suggests the solution to the Bears QB woes is to bring back Jay Cutler.

EDIT: I see dgies beat me to it
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:38:08 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GB Warrior

• All American

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #704 on: October 21, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
There is nothing more damaging to an NFL franchise than being wrong about the QB it drafts high in the first round.

It can set a franchise back years, maybe even a decade.

The mistake gets even worse if the franchise traded up to make the pick.

This.  I said at the beginning of the year that we'd know about the Bears and their QB by the end of the year.  We may know by the end of November.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #705 on: October 21, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »
Jets QB not looking so hot this week either.   
Ludum habemus.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #706 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
I don’t blame the Bears for passing on Mahomes, as nobody saw that coming.

But cmon, Deshaun Watson did nothing but win at Clemson. You didn’t have to trade up to get him, probably could have even traded down and gotten more value.

I have been patient with Trubisky, but he has actually regressed this year. It would be one thing if he played the same last last season, but he’s actually gotten worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 22, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »

But cmon, Deshaun Watson did nothing but win at Clemson. You didn’t have to trade up to get him, probably could have even traded down and gotten more value.

I have been patient with Trubisky, but he has actually regressed this year. It would be one thing if he played the same last last season, but he’s actually gotten worse.

Well, it's not as if Mahomes was a 6th-round pick.

He was the No. 10 overall selection, and one of the great offensive minds in NFL history drafted him, so I'm guessing a few folks more than "nobody" thought he was going to be a franchise quarterback. I do know what you meant, though: Few likely thought he would be an MVP-caliber player so early in his career.

I have read elsewhere that "nobody" saw McCaffrey's potential, either. But the Panthers drafted him No. 8 overall, and if they didn't take him there somebody else would have taken him shortly thereafter. Thank goodness the Panthers weren't dissuaded by his decision to skip a meaningless exhibition game!

Obviously agree with you about Watson.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #708 on: October 22, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »

Chiefs saw it coming. They gave up two first-round picks plus to draft him, despite having a Pro Bowl QB on the roster who was coming off a career season and 12-4 record.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: October 22, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
Chiefs saw it coming. They gave up two first-round picks plus to draft him, despite having a Pro Bowl QB on the roster who was coming off a career season and 12-4 record.

Yep. Andy Reid > Pace/Nagy. (And most others.)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #710 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Well, it's not as if Mahomes was a 6th-round pick.

He was the No. 10 overall selection, and one of the great offensive minds in NFL history drafted him, so I'm guessing a few folks more than "nobody" thought he was going to be a franchise quarterback. I do know what you meant, though: Few likely thought he would be an MVP-caliber player so early in his career.

He wasn't an unheard of nobody, but he was a fringe first round pick, early 2nd leading up to it.  I remember specifically people being like "oh wow, what are the Chiefs doing?!" when they took him.  It was viewed as quite a stretch for 10, unheard of for where the Bears were.

I wanted Watson from the minute I realized the Bears would be one of the worst teams in the league that year.  My biggest worry is that they would be 4 or 5 and Watson would go top 3.  Then he inexplicably started to slide and I hoped they would stick to their guns or trade down and get him.  My biggest nightmare was Watson going top 2, the Bears missing him, and taking Kizer.  This has turned out to be almost worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: October 22, 2019, 03:45:45 PM »
He wasn't an unheard of nobody, but he was a fringe first round pick, early 2nd leading up to it.  I remember specifically people being like "oh wow, what are the Chiefs doing?!" when they took him.  It was viewed as quite a stretch for 10, unheard of for where the Bears were.

I wanted Watson from the minute I realized the Bears would be one of the worst teams in the league that year.  My biggest worry is that they would be 4 or 5 and Watson would go top 3.  Then he inexplicably started to slide and I hoped they would stick to their guns or trade down and get him.  My biggest nightmare was Watson going top 2, the Bears missing him, and taking Kizer.  This has turned out to be almost worse.

Trading down for either Watson or Mahomes would have been the winning strategy. Trading up for a guy who had done next to nothing in college because you liked his "measurables" ... oy.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #712 on: October 22, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Just thinking of how tight the NFC is, some intra-conference games coming up that look good and of interest to me. As much fun as Pack/Saints would be right now, the Pack/Niners game will be a great measuring stick for San Fran. Vikings still meet up with the Cowboys and Seahawks. Niners last 6 weeks is brutal, they go Pack, @Balt, @NO, Atl, Rams, @Sea.

I’d include the Bears brutal schedule, but I think it’s a waste of everyone’s time.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #713 on: October 23, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »
Yep. Andy Reid > Pace/Nagy. (And most others.)

Wasn't Nagy on Reid's staff when they drafted Mahomes?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:26 AM »
Just thinking of how tight the NFC is, some intra-conference games coming up that look good and of interest to me. As much fun as Pack/Saints would be right now, the Pack/Niners game will be a great measuring stick for San Fran. Vikings still meet up with the Cowboys and Seahawks. Niners last 6 weeks is brutal, they go Pack, @Balt, @NO, Atl, Rams, @Sea.

I’d include the Bears brutal schedule, but I think it’s a waste of everyone’s time.
NFC is as competitive as its been in a while. What a contrast to the AFC right now. I think San Fran and Seattle are pretenders. Saints and Vikings for real. It will be fun to watch it sort out. Don't count Bears out yet.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #715 on: October 23, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »
NFC is as competitive as its been in a while. What a contrast to the AFC right now. I think San Fran and Seattle are pretenders. Saints and Vikings for real. It will be fun to watch it sort out. Don't count Bears out yet.

Vikings will be for real if Cousins can perform against winning teams.  Hasn’t happened yet.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #716 on: October 23, 2019, 08:22:56 AM »
Vikings will be for real if Cousins can perform against winning teams.  Hasn’t happened yet.
With their running game and defense, Cousins becomes more marginalized, but you are correct though they will need him at some point.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #717 on: October 23, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »

Vikings will be for real if and only if they can cajole Bud Grant out of retirement.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #719 on: October 23, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
Vikings will be for real if and only if they can cajole Bud Grant out of retirement.

Simms Lake.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
I'd be really curious on which QB, from that same draft, Nagy would have preferred. Mitch was already in Chicago when Nagy was hired.

I want to see Bears move on from Trubisky. Let Pace and Nagy build a roster together - in the scheme Nagy envisions.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
I'd be really curious on which QB, from that same draft, Nagy would have preferred. Mitch was already in Chicago when Nagy was hired.

I want to see Bears move on from Trubisky. Let Pace and Nagy build a roster together - in the scheme Nagy envisions.

Thanks for this. I had erroneously thought they drafted Trubisky.

Wasn't Nagy on Reid's staff when they drafted Mahomes?

Apparently so. See above.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »
Pace did draft Trubisky.  He hired Nagy to develop him. 

When Pace was hired in 2015, it was "suggested" that he hire John Fox as coach.  After three seasons of that failed experiment, the narrative was "now he gets to hire his own guy."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:08:53 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #723 on: October 23, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
Pace did draft Trubisky.  He hired Nagy to develop him. 

When Pace was hired in 2015, it was "suggested" that he hire John Fox as coach.  After three seasons of that failed experiment, the narrative was "now he gets to hire his own guy."

Appreciate this, too, and I think I've finally got it through my thick skull: If Trubisky doesn't pan out, he will have been Pace's mess but not Nagy's. Correct?

I'm guessing Nagy's reputation also will have been stained some because he will not have been able to "coach up" Trubinsky well enough.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
Appreciate this, too, and I think I've finally got it through my thick skull: If Trubisky doesn't pan out, he will have been Pace's mess but not Nagy's. Correct?

I'm guessing Nagy's reputation also will have been stained some because he will not have been able to "coach up" Trubinsky well enough.

I think it will look bad for both of them.  And I doubt the Bears change either one of them until at least the end of next year.  They may dump the OC and the QB coach after this year, but the Bears don't make major changes easily, especially the year after they won the division.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback