[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319795 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
Thinking there is a conspiracy against the Lions is silly.

As for this particular situation, I think the officiating statement and actions is worse than the call or lack thereof.  He wasn't "tackled".  Jones looks to initiate the contact when he's trying to find the ball and Sorenson keeps running.  He didn't even push or extend his arms.  Attempting to change direction with his momentum going the other way is the reason Jones went down.  Thats probably a no-call even on a normal long pass.  The NFL head of officiating said he didn't see PI after the game.  The only people I can see upset are Lions-affliated, everyone neutral thinks it was fine.

But it was definitely bundled with their opting not to do a review and making flimsy statements.  Lions fans still would have said they were screwed, but there is more than enough to uphold the no call on the field and the officials at least wouldn't have looked lazy and incompetent.

I didn't notice it in real time and I wouldn't expect it to be called anyway.    However, the NFL brought it up.

https://twitter.com/KenKalDRW/status/1178473688158687232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1178473688158687232&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Flions%2F2019%2F09%2Flions-have-themselves-to-blame-for-loss-not-officials.html

Ironically, same guy who had the flag  picked up in the Dallas playoff game.    Referenced below.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yLPJp3-c70

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:06:01 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
Roquan Smith situation is interesting and (pardon the pun) bears watching. The car accident internet reporting was bogus. I'm as big a mental health advocate as their is, and if he needs help, he should first and foremost get it before playing football. I think the Bears handled the perceived situation awkwardly from a timing perspective. I think they could have given him more cover and came up with a phony hamstring injury or something and listed him as out on Saturday.

I say all that not knowing anything that happened to the guy, I hope it's not something criminal that happened Saturday evening, I can't imagine it would be since Saturday night the team stays at a hotel downtown. Be interesting to see if he travels to London with the team on Thursday.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
Nailed it.

I was happy to see that.  I thought that was appropriate, but honestly didn't think they'd go that far.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Roquan Smith situation is interesting and (pardon the pun) bears watching. The car accident internet reporting was bogus. I'm as big a mental health advocate as their is, and if he needs help, he should first and foremost get it before playing football. I think the Bears handled the perceived situation awkwardly from a timing perspective. I think they could have given him more cover and came up with a phony hamstring injury or something and listed him as out on Saturday.

Here's the thing... If it is a mental health issue, covering it up with a phony injury is a terrible move. This is a league that still has many issues in dealing with players mental health and stigmas that very much still exist. I get your point in the short-term, but at some point the full story will come out. If the team lied and used a fake injury for cover, it looks callous and does Roquan no favors long-term.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Here's the thing... If it is a mental health issue, covering it up with a phony injury is a terrible move. This is a league that still has many issues in dealing with players mental health and stigmas that very much still exist. I get your point in the short-term, but at some point the full story will come out. If the team lied and used a fake injury for cover, it looks callous and does Roquan no favors long-term.

On top of all this, it's against NFL rules to lie about an injury. I doubt the league would come down hard on the Bears under these circumstances, but as you say, it makes no sense to lie when the truth is going to come out eventually.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
On top of all this, it's against NFL rules to lie about an injury. I doubt the league would come down hard on the Bears under these circumstances, but as you say, it makes no sense to lie when the truth is going to come out eventually.

Everyone knows the injury report, or lack there of, is a total joke. Cam Newton wasn't even on the injury report for Weeks 1 and 2, when he was clearly injured.

I agree the truth is going to come out, but the Bears didn't do themselves or Roquan any favors in the timing of their announcement, and Smith was on the sidelines for yesterday's game. The reports out there are they knew most of the week something was wrong with Smith, and internally they made the decision to deactivate him Saturday night. Saying at 1:45 pm that he's "doubtful" is ridiculous at that point. I'm 100% behind Smith getting the help he appears to need, whatever that may be. I just don't think the Bears did Smith, or themselves, any favors in how this played out thus far. I honestly don't know in the 1:45 pm PR announcement, with the inactives list being due 20 minutes later, how Smith would have gone from "doubtful" to active. Just say he's out at that point.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:28:09 PM by MUDish »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #431 on: September 30, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
So how does hippa come to play in the NFL that releases all player injuries to the public? Especially from a mental health perspective

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2019, 05:35:57 PM »
So how does hippa come to play in the NFL that releases all player injuries to the public? Especially from a mental health perspective

Probably because the players consent to it via the CBA and/or their individual contracts.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
I agree the truth is going to come out, but the Bears didn't do themselves or Roquan any favors in the timing of their announcement, and Smith was on the sidelines for yesterday's game. The reports out there are they knew most of the week something was wrong with Smith, and internally they made the decision to deactivate him Saturday night. Saying at 1:45 pm that he's "doubtful" is ridiculous at that point. I'm 100% behind Smith getting the help he appears to need, whatever that may be. I just don't think the Bears did Smith, or themselves, any favors in who this played out thus far. I honestly don't know in the 1:45 pm PR announcement, with the inactives list being due 20 minutes later, how Smith would have gone from "doubtful" to active. Just say he's out at that point.

Does it really matter? Whether he was labeled doubtful or just out and whether it was announced Saturday night or Sunday afternoon, his last minute absence was always going to create a stir. That story was always going to be there, no matter how the Bears framed it on the injury report. And for him being at the game, there would be a similar amount of speculation if he wasn't there.

Look, there's plenty to criticize the Bears organization for. Plenty. So far, I have a hard time finding fault in how they are handling this situation.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
  america is better without teachers

(Note, I neither said nor even implied that America is better only without public school teachers who have been proven guilty of molesting children, but it was obvious that's what I was saying. And if you don't agree that's what I obviously was saying, I'll just keep arguing for the sake of arguing.)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
  america is better without teachers

(Note, I neither said nor even implied that America is better only without public school teachers who have been proven guilty of molesting children, but it was obvious that's what I was saying. And if you don't agree that's what I obviously was saying, I'll just keep arguing for the sake of arguing.)

Thanks Boo Boo. 

And God Bless America

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
Thanks Boo Boo. 

And God Bless America

and what's in your wallet?  "in God we trust" eyn'a?  and don't forget about the foxholes either-a lot of sudden converts lookin for a hug ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #437 on: September 30, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
Good god, the Bengs are worse than the Dolphins, Jets or Raiders, except without a plan like the Skins.  The MLB tanking strategy doesn’t play in the parity NFL.  How was this a MNF game?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:31 AM »
Packers get 10 days to prepare for Cowboys playing late Sunday on the road.  Got to give the edge to the Packers, especially with the two big injuries Cowboys took last night.

Disagree.  Packers sucks donkey nuts this year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
Disagree.  Packers sucks donkey nuts this year.

Packers going to have issues with Zeke. Without Adams, not sure if AR12 will be able to keep the offense up with Dallas.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #440 on: October 01, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
Packers going to have issues with Zeke. Without Adams, not sure if AR12 will be able to keep the offense up with Dallas.

Agreed, I'm guessing they stack the box but Alexander on Cooper and force Dak and his receivers to beat the defense 1 on 1. If the Packers can keep them under 20 points they win because I think Adams will play and Dallas' secondary isn't great so the offense will be ok.

I just don't have a good read on Dallas because they've largely played garbage teams.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #441 on: October 04, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
That sure was one sh1tty roughing-the-QB call against Clay Matthews on Seattle's decisive drive yesterday.

It was first down, and Seattle had plenty of time to score anyway. The Rams never looked like they were going to stop Russell Wilson. But still, that was a horrible, horrible call.

If you're reviewing interference calls, I don't know why you shouldn't review those. They often are game-changers.

Matthews maybe has been victimized by more bogus roughing calls than any player in history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #442 on: October 06, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
Bears D looking bad early.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 06, 2019, 01:27:49 PM »
Bears D looking bad early.

Their everything looks bad so far. Raiders had five sacks in their first four games. They have three at halftime today.
Makes you wonder if the Bears should have flown over earlier. They look lethargic. And losing Hicks doesn't help.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 06, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »
Let’s call it what it is, Bears are getting their asses kicked up and down the field. Total domination by Oakland.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
Mason Rudolph of the Steelers knocked out cold. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
Mason Rudolph of the Steelers knocked out cold.

I honestly thought he might have died, I’m not joking.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #447 on: October 06, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »
If the bears lose Mack to injury, they’ll struggle to be a .500 team.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
I honestly thought he might have died, I’m not joking.

The way the players reacted, I had the initial thought as well. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
The way the players reacted, I had the initial thought as well.

Medical cart was broken, so Rudolph had to be carried to the locker room. Unbelievable.