[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319623 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
Softer America
Yeah, those hairy wet cats just don't appreciate CTE.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
One time I hope Chico's is not talking out of his butt.

I deal with NFL players every day.  Almost 3very one of them would let their kids play and do let their kids play.

As I said, it isn’t just football....extends to other sports.  But what the hell does that have to do with watching football, which this was about.  You don’t have to play it to watch it....but younger folks don’t want to.  I never played hockey in my life, I still watch it.  Didn’t realize you had to play in order to watch.  Interesting.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
My hot takes for the week: Mahomes will go down as the GOAT and is already better than peak Rodgers ever was.

At the current moment mahomes is heads over heels better then Rodgers. But lots of quarterbacks with his play style are really good for a couple of years and then the punishment they take gets to them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #353 on: September 28, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
Yeah, those hairy wet cats just don't appreciate CTE.

Let me guess, you are one of these people that believe 90% of players have CTE.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #354 on: September 28, 2019, 10:53:53 PM »
Let me guess, you are one of these people that believe 90% of players have CTE.

Do you know they don't?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #355 on: September 28, 2019, 11:34:03 PM »
Do you know they don't?

Is there science to suggest it, or even 1/2 of that amount?  I’ve seen blatantly wrong stuff like 90% plus by “reputable” news orgs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:51:56 PM by Cheeks »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #356 on: September 29, 2019, 12:15:46 AM »
Roll your eyes, the data doesn’t lie.  Reams of it.  Attitudinal data, participation, etc.  The leagues have the same data.  All the networks, etc, they need it to know who to target and why.

It is what it is.  If my words trigger, then call it a more “gentle and thoughtful” male demo that doesn’t gravitate toward traditions that in the past were supported at a higher rate by men.  All kinds of reasons why.

I'm not disputing the data. I'm not rolling my eyes at the statistics.

Your adjectives however...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #357 on: September 29, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
I deal with NFL players every day.  Almost 3very one of them would let their kids play and do let their kids play.

As I said, it isn’t just football....extends to other sports.  But what the hell does that have to do with watching football, which this was about.  You don’t have to play it to watch it....but younger folks don’t want to.  I never played hockey in my life, I still watch it.  Didn’t realize you had to play in order to watch.  Interesting.

I would agree that this next generation isn't as interested in football.  IMO there are a number of reasons for this, including the pace of play and the violent nature of the game.

But why does that mean they are "softer?"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:41 AM »
Is there science to suggest it, or even 1/2 of that amount?  I’ve seen blatantly wrong stuff like 90% plus by “reputable” news orgs.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #359 on: September 29, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »

I would agree that this next generation isn't as interested in football.  IMO there are a number of reasons for this, including the pace of play and the violent nature of the game.

The generation that came of age during the second worst economy in U.S. history, faced the very real threat of being gunned down in their classrooms and has been fighting a war for 18 years is "soft" because they don't watch the NFL enough.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »

The generation that came of age during the second worst economy in U.S. history, faced the very real threat of being gunned down in their classrooms and has been fighting a war for 18 years is "soft" because they don't watch the NFL enough.

When Chicos passes can we use some of those Scoop community funds to deliver his posts in a leather bond anthology to his kids?

Ya know for the fond memories they would want to preserve.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
I'm not disputing the data. I'm not rolling my eyes at the statistics.

Your adjectives however...

They stuck with me from the research.  My boss used those same adjectives in describing the results, and she isn’t one to mince words either. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »

Which makes you wonder when guns were far more prevalent for decades and that wasn’ypt happening, what changed.  Hmm.  But thanks for bringing politics into it....again

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

LOL.  Waiting for you to go to this one.  Any problem with your link?  You know, for example all these people were having issues before they died and then families donated their brains.  It would be like cancer patients donating bodies to a cancer org to show they died of cancer.

Your response to this rebuttal from 538.....

A paper published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that among 111 brains from NFL players donated to a brain bank created to study the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma, 110 had CTE. Sounds bad. But as alarming as those numbers seem, they really can’t tell us much about the actual risk of CTE among football players, nor can they reveal how common the condition is among people who’ve played the game. If you wanted to know the true prevalence of CTE among NFL players, you’d have to check the entire population of NFL players for CTE. That’s impossible because right now, CTE can be definitively diagnosed only by looking at the brain post-mortem. And the the brains that were examined for the JAMA study didn’t end up in the brain bank by chance — they were donated, for the most part, because the deceased’s next of kin suspected he might have had CTE.

So the statistical quandary remained: how to get a sense of the prevalence of CTE in the NFL? An analysis published last month in the journal Neurology tried to get around the problem of sample bias with what amounts to a thought experiment. Epidemiologists Zachary Binney1 and Kathleen Bachynski took what we know — that 99 percent of the NFL brains in the brain bank had CTE — and then tried to figure out what that could mean about the prevalence of CTE among the entire group of 1,142 former NFL players who died during the eight-year time frame during which the brain bank collected its samples (February 2008 to May 2016).2

The estimates vary depending on how completist you think the brain bank’s collection was. If you assumed that half of the brains from NFL players with CTE who died during the study period ended up in the brain bank, that would mean the prevalence of CTE in the broader group of deceased players was 19.3 percent, according to Binney and Bachynski’s calculations.3 On the other hand, if 90 percent of the brains with CTE were sent to the bank, the prevalence of CTE would be 10.7 percent. “I’m reasonably confident that it’s somewhere north of 10 percent, and I would not at all be surprised — and indeed it’s my best guess right now — that the prevalence is probably more in the 20 to 30 percent range,” Binney said.

But even if that’s correct and as many as 1 in 3 NFL players who were in the league at the same time as the players whose brains ended up in the JAMA study had CTE, that doesn’t mean that those numbers also apply to the current pool of players, said Bhramar Mukherjee, a biostatistician and epidemiologist at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health. “The probability of developing CTE could be changing over time, because the protective gear and the style of play is changing over time.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »

There are countless articles on why today’s generation is so soft and sensitive, from how they were raised, to a gazillion other things.  My personal opinion is in how easy they had it growing up, and God forbid if constructive criticism was given the wrong way.

But i would invite you to read any number of them, or simply sit down with some students up there.  Psychology Today periodical wrote a good piece on how we have raised a generation of wimps. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
Let's say it's nowhere near 90%.

Let's say it's 50% or 33% or 25% or, as the guy in the 538 article said, "probably more in the 20 to 30 percent range."

Only a truly soft person would refuse to have their kids risk a 3-in-10 or 1-5 chance at CTE.

Soft losers. Next thing you know, they won't let their kids play in traffic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2019, 09:15:48 AM »
Let's say it's nowhere near 90%.

Let's say it's 50% or 33% or 25% or, as the guy in the 538 article said, "probably more in the 20 to 30 percent range."

Only a truly soft person would refuse to have their kids risk a 3-in-10 or 1-5 chance at CTE.

Soft losers. Next thing you know, they won't let their kids play in traffic.

Again, we are talking about watching football, not playing it.

Furthermore, if you read, the number likely to go down with improved safety.  Say it is 10% as the researchers said it could be despite the media running like chicken littles to publish the 99% garbage....go figure....what is the general population chance of CTE?    A July article suggests maybe 6%.

Yes, it is heightened for football, but CTE is found in both athlete and non-athlete populations.  No one is holding a gun to these guys playing hockey, football, heading a soccer ball, etc.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190620153548.htm

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
There are countless articles on why today’s generation is so soft and sensitive, from how they were raised, to a gazillion other things.  My personal opinion is in how easy they had it growing up, and God forbid if constructive criticism was given the wrong way.

But i would invite you to read any number of them, or simply sit down with some students up there.  Psychology Today periodical wrote a good piece on how we have raised a generation of wimps. 

Any article that concludes that this generation is soft and full of wimps is useless.

And I have no idea what any of that has to do with football.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »
Which makes you wonder when guns were far more prevalent for decades and that wasn’ypt happening, what changed.  Hmm.  But thanks for bringing politics into it....again

1. I'm not bringing politics into anything. I'm pointing out the stupidity of your comments.
2. You accusing anyone of politicizing threads around here sure is something.
3. I'd point out the errors of your first statement, but I've got more manly man things to do today than argue with you ... like sit in front of a TV and watch other men play a game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
Again, we are talking about watching football, not playing it.

Furthermore, if you read, the number likely to go down with improved safety.  Say it is 10% as the researchers said it could be despite the media running like chicken littles to publish the 99% garbage....go figure....what is the general population chance of CTE?    A July article suggests maybe 6%.

Yes, it is heightened for football, but CTE is found in both athlete and non-athlete populations.  No one is holding a gun to these guys playing hockey, football, heading a soccer ball, etc.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190620153548.htm

You were the one who brought today's "Softer America" into the viewership equation, claiming "the data is stark."

Which data? The data that "proves" America is softer? The data that "proves" allegedly softer people don't watch football? Or mostly your opinion?

All's I know is that I sure wish all of the men in the country were as manly as you, Hoopaloop. Not to mention Mrs. Hoopaloop and the Hoopy Kids.

When one of your kids gets out of line, do you beat them to a bloody pulp and then, when they cry, do you say, "Shaddup or I'll really give you something to cry about!"?

Can't be raisin' no softies!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #370 on: September 29, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
Skol Vikings!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2019, 10:29:51 AM »
You were the one who brought today's "Softer America" into the viewership equation, claiming "the data is stark."

Which data? The data that "proves" America is softer? The data that "proves" allegedly softer people don't watch football? Or mostly your opinion?

All's I know is that I sure wish all of the men in the country were as manly as you, Hoopaloop. Not to mention Mrs. Hoopaloop and the Hoopy Kids.

When one of your kids gets out of line, do you beat them to a bloody pulp and then, when they cry, do you say, "Shaddup or I'll really give you something to cry about!"?

Can't be raisin' no softies!

The research I am speaking of is those done on who watches football, and other sports, who doesn’t...and why they don’t.  If you were following along you would know this.

I am not claiming to be any more of a man than anyone else.  I honor my wife, I don’t cheat on her ever, love my kids, believe in God almighty, do my best to help my extended family as well as my friends and colleagues.  Do I think we are softer as a people?  Yes.  Many reasons why, and that has nothing to do with football.  Do I believe the aged in this country say we are softer....hell yes, and they are right. 

You nonsense about beating the kids....just pure nonsense.  Have a great day.

God Bless America

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
Go Pokes

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #373 on: September 29, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
Who? 

Mitch > Kirk

Neither is good; could see the game going any number of ways.

Just saw Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are doing the halftime show at the Super Bowl. I approve.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.