[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319764 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:01 AM »
Agree with Sultan.  Need to improve at the point of attack on D.  And 4 passes from the 1 is an embarrassment.  Trust your O-line coach.

But as Wags says, is this the play calling or Rodgers doing his thing?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »

But as Wags says, is this the play calling or Rodgers doing his thing?

It was the play calling.

Lots of similarities between LeFleur and Nagy. Two inexperienced play callers who still have a ways to go on the learning curve.

• All American
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »
So some of the ideas / rumors coming out on the new CBA.

**17 game season with every team playing a game at a neutral site each year.
**Each team will get two byes.
**Season will start the same time, but the Super Bowl will be stretched to end on President's Day weekend.
**Pre-season will be cut by one or two games
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
It was the play calling.

Lots of similarities between LeFleur and Nagy. Two inexperienced play callers who still have a ways to go on the learning curve.

Except one has a 14 year veteran 2 time MVP with plenty of influence and control, and the other has a starter in his second year who can stop overthrowing receivers.  Sure, Rodgers is adapting to a new offense, but lets not pretend he got stripped down and is starting from square 1 carrying out only LeFLeur's orders.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2019, 01:41:46 PM »
My hot takes for the week: Mahomes will go down as the GOAT and is already better than peak Rodgers ever was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #331 on: September 27, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
My hot takes for the week: Mahomes will go down as the GOAT and is already better than peak Rodgers ever was.

SHEEESH.

I will say, I did think last night that Mahomes either completes, or at least tries, a flip toss over the top to Lazard on that 3rd down

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #332 on: September 27, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »

#badhottaeks
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #333 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
Mahomes is great.  When this season is all said and done, he might have peaked higher than Rodgers did in 2011.  He hasn't yet though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #334 on: September 27, 2019, 05:04:24 PM »

let's not get too rambunctious here wades.  he has a ways to go.  has played in 20 games...soooo much can happen...suddenly.  i love the guy, has tons of charisma and confidence, love watching him play, has signs of being a great one, wish him all the good health in the world, but he has to walk the walk yet
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »

He’s very good.  Fun dude to be around, too.   There is your name drop, just for you, for the weekend. 

The new rules of the last few years make QB stats crazy eye popping vs yesteryear.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #336 on: September 28, 2019, 06:33:21 AM »
So some of the ideas / rumors coming out on the new CBA.

**17 game season with every team playing a game at a neutral site each year.
**Each team will get two byes.
**Season will start the same time, but the Super Bowl will be stretched to end on President's Day weekend.
**Pre-season will be cut by one or two games

At some point, professional tackle football is going to exhaust its audience.  I’d be curious to know the demographics on attendance and viewing habits of various age groups. 

I ask that, knowing it’s always going to have a huge audience because of the gambling and fantasy aspects but if younger generations are tuning out sports because of game length, I wonder if less is more for all leagues going forward.  The TV money will be bonkers off the bat, so I suppose that’s all that will matter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »
At some point, professional tackle football is going to exhaust its audience.  I’d be curious to know the demographics on attendance and viewing habits of various age groups. 

I ask that, knowing it’s always going to have a huge audience because of the gambling and fantasy aspects but if younger generations are tuning out sports because of game length, I wonder if less is more for all leagues going forward.  The TV money will be bonkers off the bat, so I suppose that’s all that will matter

I think the NFL is smart to extend their season in the winter. More captive audience.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »

I have all that data as we monitor it heavily.  The older you are, the more football you watch.  That’s not to say younger demos are not watching, but not as much as older demos.  There is also the piracy angle as younger people don’t think twice about stealing intellectual property....they admit it in the research.  So those folks that are going to reddit to stream illegally, they aren’t counted in the watching numbers, but they also admit to doing it.  A lot of focus in the industry at the moment on that one as an estimated $20 billion in revenue lost by illegal streamers expected in a few years.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »

While I agree he is massively talented, lets watch his longevity.  I remember the tragedy of Robert Griffin the Third.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #340 on: September 28, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
I have all that data as we monitor it heavily.  The older you are, the more football you watch.  That’s not to say younger demos are not watching, but not as much as older demos.  There is also the piracy angle as younger people don’t think twice about stealing intellectual property....they admit it in the research.  So those folks that are going to reddit to stream illegally, they aren’t counted in the watching numbers, but they also admit to doing it.  A lot of focus in the industry at the moment on that one as an estimated $20 billion in revenue lost by illegal streamers expected in a few years.

What changes that you watch more football as you get older?  I’m genuinely curious.  I watch less but that’s a personal choice that I know isn’t reflective of the larger market.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #341 on: September 28, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
What changes that you watch more football as you get older?  I’m genuinely curious.  I watch less but that’s a personal choice that I know isn’t reflective of the larger market.

I think the question you are posing is wrong.  A large portion of the population watched football...as they got older they still do, that hasn’t changed.  Younger people, with more options, some of which gravitate away from manly man things more so now than in the past, etc, etc, watch less.  So as the population ages, the folks replacing them are watching less....it is not that people watch more with age, they watch about as much as they always have.

Research as shown that under 35 view the game much differently.  Some think it is too violent, too physical.  If you are above the age of 35 you do not harbor nearly those views.  Softer America...the data is stark.  Now, maybe that makes today’s younger generation smarter (and softer), which is fine....just is what it is.  Same research for hockey, boxing.  The younger you are, the more the physicality is a bigger turnoff.  It used to be that case in the research with women, but now younger dudes gravitating more and more to what the women’s responses were back in the day.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
I think the question you are posing is wrong.  A large portion of the population watched football...as they got older they still do, that hasn’t changed.  Younger people, with more options, some of which gravitate away from manly man things more so now than in the past, etc, etc, watch less.  So as the population ages, the folks replacing them are watching less....it is not that people watch more with age, they watch about as much as they always have.

Research as shown that under 35 view the game much differently.  Some think it is too violent, too physical.  If you are above the age of 35 you do not harbor nearly those views.  Softer America...the data is stark.  Now, maybe that makes today’s younger generation smarter (and softer), which is fine....just is what it is.  Same research for hockey, boxing.  The younger you are, the more the physicality is a bigger turnoff.  It used to be that case in the research with women, but now younger dudes gravitating more and more to what the women’s responses were back in the day.

::)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #343 on: September 28, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
::)

Roll your eyes, the data doesn’t lie.  Reams of it.  Attitudinal data, participation, etc.  The leagues have the same data.  All the networks, etc, they need it to know who to target and why.

It is what it is.  If my words trigger, then call it a more “gentle and thoughtful” male demo that doesn’t gravitate toward traditions that in the past were supported at a higher rate by men.  All kinds of reasons why. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Soft losers who don't want brain damage. Soft parents who don't want their soft kids to suffer brain damage.

What a bunch of stoopid losers!

If only they could all be as tough and manly as hoopaloop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
One time I hope Chico's is not talking out of his butt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #346 on: September 28, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »
I have no idea why he labels it “softer,” but honestly after watching two players get carted off on stretchers the other night, I wondered if I hadn’t grown up watching the game if I would have any interest in it. Especially with all of the breaks and commercials.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #347 on: September 28, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »
I have no idea why he labels it “softer,” but honestly after watching two players get carted off on stretchers the other night, I wondered if I hadn’t grown up watching the game if I would have any interest in it. Especially with all of the breaks and commercials.

Not to take it away from the NFL in this thread, but that’s why college football attendance is dropping.  Games are too long with all the commercials.  NFL isn’t as bad but the first three weeks have been painful from the “action” I’ve seen

MU82

• All American
« Reply #348 on: September 28, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »

Eff 'em. They wuz softer than a Scooper's belly!

Football's gotta get back to what made it great: Legalized assault!

Bring back head-to-head hits that will hasten dementia, blindside attacks that turn unprotected receivers into quadriplegics, chop blocks that end careers, athletes heroically letting team doctors inject them with all kinds of crap so they can finish games ... you know, all the courageous, manly stuff from that great Pre Soft Era!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #349 on: September 28, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
I was watching the game on Thursday with my 60 year old Father. When Maddox went down late, he said, forlornly during a break, “Football as we know it will be gone in 20 years, which sucks cause I love watching it”, but immediately followed up with he completely understood it and wouldn’t let his child play knowing what we know now. It’s game and rules created and popularized when most players were under 200 lbs and the largest linemen would barely be median sized by today’s standards and substantially slower.

We should be more manly like the glory days where we ostracized gay men, mocked the showing of emotion, and applauded “corrective” physical violence towards spouses and children.

feedback