Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wichita vs Cal  (Read 10954 times)

LoudMouth

• All American
Re: Wichita vs Cal
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
Well yeah, but I'd rather play in the championship over any thing else. besides, MU was NOT going to lose to Cal anyway. What's weird about this(other then the time of year), is that if this was the NCAA tournament, we would always root for the lessor team, to help MU.
You can not be serious. Those are the two most idiotic statements of all time on this board. 1) Guaranteeing a win vs a PAC-12 team. 2) Pointing out the brutally obvious truth that...get ready everyone...we would want to win in the NCAA tournament. I think we should leave the big east and enter the horizon league. I'd much rather win games against UIC then play a close one against Nova.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
You can not be serious. Those are the two most idiotic statements of all time on this board. 1) Guaranteeing a win vs a PAC-12 team. 2) Pointing out the brutally obvious truth that...get ready everyone...we would want to win in the NCAA tournament. I think we should leave the big east and enter the horizon league. I'd much rather win games against UIC then play a close one against Nova.

You don't want to win the Maui tournament??  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
I forgot they hung banners in the Al for winning a Thanksgiving tournament. My bad

reinko

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
This game is over. We are playing cal.

@OldTakesExposed

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

Absolutely no guarantees we beat Cal.

I'm good with taking our swing against a team that can only help us by playing.

I have a feeling Wichita smokes us. But I'd rather have this test early.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
This is just wrong. RPI is about the same whether we lose to Wichita or beat Cal, but the SOS impact is 10+ spots. Better to lose to Wichita than beat Cal.

But I've been saying this for months, so at this point anyone arguing otherwise is ignorant of math.

But once again, you're failing to factor what likely would happen with a win over Cal in this scenario ... a game against ND.
A game vs ND and a game vs WSU is a virtual wash. In that case, I'd rather play ND for a title than WSU in a semifinal.
Also, Michigan and LSU don't look like world beaters, so I don't see how playing one of them for 3rd is much, if any, better for MU's tournament resume than playing Cal in the semis.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 06:48:04 PM »
Well yeah, but I'd rather play in the championship over any thing else. besides, MU was NOT going to lose to Cal anyway. What's weird about this(other then the time of year), is that if this was the NCAA tournament, we would always root for the lessor team, to help MU.

But this ISN'T the NCAA tournament. It's a November tournament.

Would you rather win Maui by beating Cal and Chaminade and miss the NCAA tournament or lose a game or two in Maui and make the NCAA tournament? Because if we're on the bubble, winning Maui over those teams would hurt our chances more than help.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
I'd rather win Maui by beating VCU, Wichita State and Notre Lame.   ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
This game is over. We are playing cal.
lol!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »
I'd rather win Maui by beating VCU, Wichita State and Notre Lame.   ;D

Definitely the ideal  8-)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »
But this ISN'T the NCAA tournament. It's a November tournament.

Would you rather win Maui by beating Cal and Chaminade and miss the NCAA tournament or lose a game or two in Maui and make the NCAA tournament? Because if we're on the bubble, winning Maui over those teams would hurt our chances more than help.

To the first point...I'd rather not lose ANY games. That's what bothers me so much about people talking about wanting to play Wichita even if MU loses, they are okay with it. I wish people would lose the mentality that losing is EVER okay. You should never be okay with losing. I'm not, and never will be. Regardless of the positive RPI effect losing to Wichita will have, I will be pissed off if they lose tomorrow, and have been happy as hell if they'd have played and beaten Cal to make the championship, winning is always better then losing...which brings me to the next bolded part...I really wish we wouldn't even have to discuss things like this anymore, being a "bubble" team is really tiring. I'd much prefer to go back to the days where you knew MU was in the tourney to start the year, barring something disastrous. That wasn't that long ago you know??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:37:59 PM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
To the first point...I'd rather not lose ANY games. That's what bothers me so much about people talking about wanting to play Wichita even if MU loses, they are okay with it. I wish people would lose the mentality that losing is EVER okay. You should never be okay with losing. I'm not, and never will be. Regardless of the positive RPI effect losing to Wichita will have, I will be pissed off if they lose tomorrow, and have been happy as hell if they'd have played and beaten Cal to make the championship, winning is always better then losing...which brings me to the next bolded part...I really wish we wouldn't even have to discuss things like this anymore, being a "bibble" team is really tiring. I'd much prefer to go back to the days where you knew MU was in the tourney to start the year, barring something disastrous. That wasn't that long ago you know??

For a guy who once bitched about the schedule when the new Big East was formed, I have come to one conclusion.

You always complain.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:36:57 PM by muguru »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »

For a guy who once bitched about the schedule when the new Big East was formed, I have come to one conclusion.

You always complain.

I think many drew a conclusion about you a long time ago Sultan...That you are arrogant, and have the "I'm always the smartest guy in the room" mentality. Sadly enough, I think you are proud of it too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
I think many drew a conclusion about you a long time ago Sultan...That you are arrogant, and have the "I'm always the smartest guy in the room" mentality. Sadly enough, I think you are proud of it too.

1. I am usually correct.

2. You always complain.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
1. I am usually correct.

2. You always complain.

I don't always complain...I just HATE non competitive people that are "ok" with losing. That was probably you when/if you ever played any sports. I highly doubt you did though. Your answer to #1...typical liberal answer. Not surprised you think that at all.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »
Muguru

Sultan actually believes he knows a lick about basketball. I would be fine with the arrogance if he knew something about the sport.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
Some things never change... including ignorance when it comes to RPI. smh

FWIW, if we wind up losing to WSU, but beating Michigan for 3rd place, I'm a happy camper... well, as long as we are competitive and tough tomorrow.

But, let's just win 3.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »
Muguru

Sultan actually believes he knows a lick about basketball. I would be fine with the arrogance if he knew something about the sport.

Says the dude who actually thinks his "eye-test" means something.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
I don't always complain...I just HATE non competitive people that are "ok" with losing. That was probably you when/if you ever played any sports. I highly doubt you did though. Your answer to #1...typical liberal answer. Not surprised you think that at all.

1. I played competitive sports.  I still do.

2. I am usually correct, as are most liberals.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Muguru

Thank you Goose!! This is exactly my point...About his arrogance...he THINKS he's knows stuff, when he actually doesn't know Sh*t about it. Just likes to come on these boards and act like the "big man on campus". The ONLY thing he knows a lot about is being a total f'n tool. He demonstartes that with every word he ever posts here. Notice how everytime he responds to something, he always has to point out how he THINKS in some way he's right and the poster is wrong?? Yeah...that's Sultan. What do you expect from a school administrator?? I can guarantee you he never played sports competitively in HS, and if he did, he was one of the kids that never got off the bench except in a blow out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »

Says the dude who actually thinks his "eye-test" means something.
Well when I go to the ophthalmologist it does...
Goal is National Championship

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
To the first point...I'd rather not lose ANY games. That's what bothers me so much about people talking about wanting to play Wichita even if MU loses, they are okay with it. I wish people would lose the mentality that losing is EVER okay. You should never be okay with losing. I'm not, and never will be. Regardless of the positive RPI effect losing to Wichita will have, I will be pissed off if they lose tomorrow, and have been happy as hell if they'd have played and beaten Cal to make the championship, winning is always better then losing...which brings me to the next bolded part...I really wish we wouldn't even have to discuss things like this anymore, being a "bibble" team is really tiring. I'd much prefer to go back to the days where you knew MU was in the tourney to start the year, barring something disastrous. That wasn't that long ago you know??

If we lose to a top 10 team tomorrow but put forth a solid effort and that will piss you off some perspective may be in order.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
1. I played competitive sports.  I still do.

2. I am usually correct, as are most liberals.
Can you dunk?
Goal is National Championship

feedback