[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VC Who  (Read 7365 times)

tower912

• All American
VC Who
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
1.   Breathe everybody
2.   Great to see the freshmen get run and contribute.    Going to need even more tomorrow.    Theo John = Grimm Reaper
3.   The defense wasn't bad, even giving up that many points.   MU was generally in the right spot, doing the correct rotations, and contesting consistently. 
4.   The big 3 do it again.   
5.  Really need Cal to push Wichita.    The worst thing that can happen for MU is for Wichita to be able to rest their starters the last 10 minutes. 
6.  Hauser is quite the stat sheet stuffer.   
7.  Haanif looked pretty good.   Much more comfortable at today's pace.   
8.  VCU pressure forced a few turnovers, but it didn't really disrupt MU. 
9.   Take it.   Go rest.   Do it all again tomorrow. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
Re: VC Who
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »
Good win.  We weren't perfect.  But we played darn good ball in a very important game.  Take it.  Hit the beach.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
Very happy to see all of the freshman make positive contributions.  Elliott really has some impressive length - I think he can be a nice defensive stopper as he gains more experience next season and beyond. 

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
Love this Non-Con SOS now

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
Regarding #8, outside of the first five or so minutes, I thought the pressure didn't have hardly any impact on the game.  Maybe it made them play faster than they should have but MU handled it well.

The freshmen were good!  Theo is going to be a beast.  Elliott may not end up much of a scorer but he really can defend.  Cain had flashes as well.

By the one, after that one possession of zone, I don't need to see it again.

Fun game.  Wichita will be tough but whatever.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
No, MU isn't perfect.    At one point in the second half, there was a RS Sophomore, Sophomore, and 3 frosh on the floor.   It is going to get sloppy.   But MU survived and everybody got run.   

For the life of me, I cannot understand the Haanif hate during today's game.   His play was solid 90% of the time.    Yeah, he made a couple of dumb plays.    His dumb plays are no better or worse than everybody else's dumb plays.    It seems every fanbase needs a player to scapegoat.    HC was just fine today.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
I don’t know who I’m happier for.....Brew or the team!

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
5.  Really need Cal to push Wichita.    The worst thing that can happen for MU is for Wichita to be able to rest their starters the last 10 minutes. 
One could argue that the worst thing could happen is to play Cal. Im sure Brew would agree. It would definitely help our chances to play ND the the finals but I would rather play Wichita and then at worst play Michigan

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »
No, MU isn't perfect.    At one point in the second half, there was a RS Sophomore, Sophomore, and 3 frosh on the floor.   It is going to get sloppy.   But MU survived and everybody got run.   

For the life of me, I cannot understand the Haanif hate during today's game.   His play was solid 90% of the time.    Yeah, he made a couple of dumb plays.    His dumb plays are no better or worse than everybody else's dumb plays.    It seems every fanbase needs a player to scapegoat.    HC was just fine today.

The hate was during 1 BRUTAL stretch. Like bad for a 5th grader type brutal.

I don't think the hate continued for him.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
Woo is slowly, slowly integrating the freshmen to playing time and today they contributed in many ways.  This should help during the course of Big East play. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »

I started watching when he had two dumb plays in a row - a 3 and getting stuffed. But outside of that, he played a solid game. Credit where credit is due.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »
Also,

Our 2 pt offense was great.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
I don’t know, I just think there are a lot of scoopers who just can’t enjoy watching basketball. The bar keeps moving - we’re losing, to we can’t shake this close score, to WHY AREN’T WE BLOWING THEM OUT?

Everybody enjoy this W. It was what we needed after last week.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
The big 3 with 64 and the rest of the team stepped up and gave quality effort.

I continue to believe we will be 3rd in the Big East and make it to second weekend of tournament.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »

For his sake, I hope Cal doesn't pull off an upset.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
I don’t know, I just think there are a lot of scoopers who just can’t enjoy watching basketball. The bar keeps moving - we’re losing, to we can’t shake this close score, to WHY AREN’T WE BLOWING THEM OUT?

Everybody enjoy this W. It was what we needed after last week.

It's like they are expecting basketball perfection from these guys.  Just enjoy it.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
The big 3 with 64 and the rest of the team stepped up and gave quality effort.

I continue to believe we will be 3rd in the Big East and make it to second weekend of tournament.

I love our team, but this is suppose to be in teal right?

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »
. . . .

I predicted 4th...but depends if some other BE team steps up...11-7 sounds like us (4th)....12-6/13-5 sounds like 3rd.  Could be?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
I think the biggest win of the day was getting Jay Bilas on the broadcast instead of Dan Dakich.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
I think the biggest win of the day was getting Jay Bilas on the broadcast instead of Dan Dakich.

Preach!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
I did not see any of the game, but nice win by the team. I would like to add, I heard Wojo on with Homer and thought it was A+ interview by Wojo. He sounded great and broke things down very well. Best I have heard in a post game interview.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
Sacar can really take it to the hoop. I still think we'll struggle with some teams, but today sure looks promising. Can't wait for Frohling to join the team.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Howard killed it with his floaters...makes him so do hard to guard.  Thought Hauser continued to look good and his game has developed way beyond just a shooter.  Enjoy watching him on D, rebound, and move off the ball.  HC was just fine.  Sacar did some good things...as did the freshmen...who also reminded us they are freshmen.  Theo is a man down low....will be fun to see if he can develop more of an offensive game as his years progress and they look to him more.  Fun game.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »

... and the ESPN guys giving the game end report were choking on every word as Marquette didn't win this game as much as VCU lost it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »
... and the ESPN guys giving the game end report were choking on every word as Marquette didn't win this game as much as VCU lost it.

So you're of the opinion that ESPN wanted VCU to win?  I didn't hear that at all.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »

;D

That said, Wichita looks poor right now. Would love to see them fight back for a draining win that leaves them tired for tomorrow's early game.

Either way I'd rather have the win today. Better to get one good and one meh win than two good losses and Chaminade on Thursday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
So you're of the opinion that ESPN wanted VCU to win?  I didn't hear that at all.

Same here. Jay Bilas was extremely complimentary.  He seems to be an actual fan of the team.  Dare I say he has a man crush on Rowsey.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
I thought that was the most pro MU announcing team I have heard in a while.  Dukies pumping  up Dukies.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
Theo looks like he will be a monster, but he is a foul machine like I haven't seen intramural ball. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »
Theo looks like he will be a monster, but he is a foul machine like I haven't seen intramural ball.
Right now, the second coming of the Grimm reaper.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »

It's fixable. I remember Matty H. being quite the foul machine his freshman year.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
It's fixable. I remember Matty H. being quite the foul machine his freshman year.

Agreed.  I am pretty excited to see what he's going to be like in a couple years.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Agreed.  I am pretty excited to see what he's going to be like in a couple years.

Needs to work on his free throw technique, though.  He's flicking the ball instead of tossing it.

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »
One of the idiots on the ESPN halftime report just talked about the great dunk by "John Theo".
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
I love our team, but this is suppose to be in teal right?

He likes to set ridiculous expectations so when the team or player doesn’t meet his expectations he can claim Wojo demotivates the team. He’s been doing it since John Dawson didn’t turn into Magic Johnson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
Are the comparisons between Theo and Grimm supposed to be in teal? Theo already is a better basketball player than Grimm ever was at MU, and by the time he is through these comparisons will be embarrassing to the comparison-makers (if serious). I don't use teal myself, and I usually have a pretty good sarcas-o-meter, but ...

Anyways ...

I like the way Heldt played. That's exactly what we need from him every game, although I understand he will simply be outclassed sometimes.

Howard and Hauser were outstanding - an understatement. Markus did a nice job against the press when needed and got hot when we needed it most, and Sam is just so tough, talented and smart.

Rowsey got a little out of control sometimes, but a net positive. Except for a bad 2-minute stretch before Wojo took him out of the game for a spell, Haani played quite well. Even had two very nice drives from the right side.

Very nice contributions from Cain and Elliott, too.

And credit to Wojo. He called TO when we went down 10-3 and we immediately responded with a 12-0 run. Must have been some great de-motivating there. He also kept the team calm late, when VCU really cranked up the pressure.

Finally, you could really hear our fans over the TV. Nice job, folks!

Ring out Aloha! (trademark pending)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:39 PM »
One of the idiots on the ESPN halftime report just talked about the great dunk by "John Theo".
ESPN giving lots of love to the BEAST lately...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »
Are the comparisons between Theo and Grimm supposed to be in teal? Theo already is a better basketball player than Grimm ever was at MU, and by the time he is through these comparisons will be embarrassing to the comparison-makers (if serious). I don't use teal myself, and I usually have a pretty good sarcas-o-meter, but ...

Anyways ...

I like the way Heldt played. That's exactly what we need from him every game, although I understand he will simply be outclassed sometimes.

Howard and Hauser were outstanding - an understatement. Markus did a nice job against the press when needed and got hot when we needed it most, and Sam is just so tough, talented and smart.

Rowsey got a little out of control sometimes, but a net positive. Except for a bad 2-minute stretch before Wojo took him out of the game for a spell, Haani played quite well. Even had two very nice drives from the right side.

Very nice contributions from Cain and Elliott, too.

And credit to Wojo. He called TO when we went down 10-3 and we immediately responded with a 12-0 run. Must have been some great de-motivating there. He also kept the team calm late, when VCU really cranked up the pressure.

Finally, you could really hear our fans over the TV. Nice job, folks!

Ring out Aloha! (trademark pending)

Agree with your analysis.  One thing I particularly like about Rowsey is that he's a total hard arse.  Won't back down to anyone.  And for a guy who truly tops out at 5'8", that's an awesome characteristic.

Speaking of that, if that Tillman punk had allowed his loser frustration of a completely clean Hauser block boil over when 'John Theo' was on the floor....... 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »
ESPN giving lots of love to the BEAST lately...

That's true.  Just overhead one of those talking heads saying it was the best conference in the NCAA.

I assume it wasn't the guy talking about John Theo.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Bilas isn't a Marquette fan. He's just a better announcer than most, and is good at giving credit (and blame) where it is due.

He did yammer on far too long about the announcers' free-throw jinx. He's better than that. But overall, it's always an enjoyable experience to watch one of his games.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
I started watching when he had two dumb plays in a row - a 3 and getting stuffed. But outside of that, he played a solid game. Credit where credit is due.

Indeed!  I'll take 5-10 from the field and 13 pts from HC any day all season.  Hell I'd have been happy with 38% shooting and 8 or 9 pts from him to be honest.  Keep it up HC!  We need you!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
Good call out 82 on the time out and game plan.  The team was well prepared for the pressure. Andrew was a horse and the others fed off of him. The Freshmen provided a lot of energy. Theo is the intimidator Matt isn’t. He was wired. Between them though they changed, blocked and helped force shots but more than anything their hedging defense and quick recovery we’re outstanding.  MU won the boards.

Best MU turnout I can remember for a holiday tournament but I suspect we will be outnumbered tomorrow by the mouth breathers.  Will be a tough one but we are ready.

PistolBrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »
BTW whoever said Jay Bilas was rooting for Marquette, you are pretty much correct.  I saw an interview where Bilas said he always liked Marquette cause he really liked their jerseys growing up.  I have no issue with Bilas calling as many MU games as possible.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »
Bilas isn't a Marquette fan. He's just a better announcer than most, and is good at giving credit (and blame) where it is due.

He did yammer on far too long about the announcers' free-throw jinx. He's better than that. But overall, it's always an enjoyable experience to watch one of his games.

He's a great impartial color analyst that knows what's he talking about.  But he and Wojo are absolutely friends so that does spill over to a certain extent.  What means the most is that he has actual knowledge of the MU team and program.  That always helps.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »
He's a great impartial color analyst that knows what's he talking about.  But he and Wojo are absolutely friends so that does spill over to a certain extent.  What means the most is that he has actual knowledge of the MU team and program.  That always helps.

He also hosted the 100 year round table that he well-researched and was pretty in awe of.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
He also hosted the 100 year round table that he well-researched and was pretty in awe of.

He was great.  Wonderful emcee.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »
In general I like Bilas, but his Pitino interview was garbage and pretty disappointing. Not sure I’ll be able to get over that.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »
Thought we played really good today but this might be a bad matchup against Whichita St tomorrow, don't want this game to kill our confidence

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »
Woo is slowly, slowly integrating the freshmen to playing time and today they contributed in many ways.  This should help during the course of Big East play.

John, Elliot and Cain all saw meaningful playing time early in the first half (shortly after the 12-0 run, I believe). They can be game changers defensively. And they should get better with every game.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Chris posts here occasionally, just saying.

I believe the comparison was in reference to the moving screens.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Chris posts here occasionally, just saying.

Cool. I'll assume that Chris is smart and objective enough to know that Theo John is a better player.

I believe the comparison was in reference to the moving screens.

Thanks for pointing this out. I seriously didn't realize that was the point being made, and it obviously makes more sense now. I am confident that as Theo plays more and learns more about what he can and can't do, he will commit fewer such violations. Also, it will be a matter of him getting more respect from refs (something that often happens over time), as others are allowed to get away with most of the moving screens he gets called for.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
It was a reference to moving screens.  I liked  Chris.  A big man from the great state of Michigan.  IIRC, the second best in his grade behind Paul Davis, who went to MSU.  Chris set moving screens.  So does Theo so far.