[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will the Big 12 be expanding?  (Read 12827 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Will the Big 12 be expanding?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
Colorado State would make a lot of sense.

And then probably either Memphis or Cincy. Cincy at least gets you in the neighborhood of Morgantown, although Memphis is closer to the core of the conference in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

A great option for the Big 12 ... if they could possibly talk them out of independence - is BYU. Solid program, good tradition, strong following, large market, success in other sports, etc.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »
A great option for the Big 12 ... if they could possibly talk them out of independence - is BYU. Solid program, good tradition, strong following, large market, success in other sports, etc.

BYU has made it known that they want to be in the Big 12--they tried to get in on last go around, but were snubbed.  Based on that, if it weren't for the WVU outlier, I think the Big 12 could make a nice move west by grabbing CSU and BYU.  But, then you still have Morganstown way out east...which makes Cinci/Memphis/both seem like a decent possibility as well.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
BYU is a logical first choice. Unfortunately, there isn't a second "logical choice."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
A way to fix this is to go to 8 schools.  All 5 P5 conference champions go plus three at-large teams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »
BYU has made it known that they want to be in the Big 12--they tried to get in on last go around, but were snubbed.  Based on that, if it weren't for the WVU outlier, I think the Big 12 could make a nice move west by grabbing CSU and BYU.  But, then you still have Morganstown way out east...which makes Cinci/Memphis/both seem like a decent possibility as well.

My understanding is that the B12 won't guaranty no gamedays on Sunday, and that is what is keeping BYU on the outside. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »

My understanding is that the B12 won't guaranty no gamedays on Sunday, and that is what is keeping BYU on the outside. 

How does this work for the NCAA Bball Tourney?  Are they guaranteed a Thursday/Saturday set of games each week? 

A few years ago BYU had Jimmer Fredette in the tourney, so they do go and can be significant.  Did they play on Sunday?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
How does this work for the NCAA Bball Tourney?  Are they guaranteed a Thursday/Saturday set of games each week? 

A few years ago BYU had Jimmer Fredette in the tourney, so they do go and can be significant.  Did they play on Sunday?

Yes.  They have to be placed somewhere in the bracket so it plays not only its first and second round, but its regional semis and finals on a Thursday / Saturday.

I recall this coming up when Marquette played them a couple years ago...that they may have been underseeded due to this requirement.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »
I was thinking about this earlier.  There are 4 teams I could see them targeting.

UCONN
Memphis
Cincinnati
SMU

Those four are going to be battling for an invite.  I have a feeling that UCONN will be left out and they will be losing two of the only solid BBall teams from their conference.  That would leave the AAC as a horrible basketball conference.

If UCONN can't get the invite, do they drop football?

For our sake I hope so.

If we say a few Hail Marys maybe Kansas, Duke and UCONN will drop football and join the Beast.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
A way to fix this is to go to 8 schools.  All 5 P5 conference champions go plus three at-large teams.

From what I heard and read, one big thing is it's the bowl game and bowl game attendance why they won't go to 8.  Fans are not likely to go to a Final 8 bowl game, Final 4 game and the Final.  Plus the 8 would extend the season even further.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 07:17:47 PM »
From what I heard and read, one big thing is it's the bowl game and bowl game attendance why they won't go to 8.  Fans are not likely to go to a Final 8 bowl game, Final 4 game and the Final.  Plus the 8 would extend the season even further.

What! They have about 30 bowl games before New Years Day. Eight of them would die to be part of the playoff system and attendance would not be a problem in a championship series.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
What! They have about 30 bowl games before New Years Day. Eight of them would die to be part of the playoff system and attendance would not be a problem in a championship series.

What MU Fan in CT is saying is that they are unsure about the fanbase's willingness to travel three weeks in a row.

That is why I wonder if they would need to be home locations for the first round in an 8 team scenario.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »

What MU Fan in CT is saying is that they are unsure about the fanbase's willingness to travel three weeks in a row.

That is why I wonder if they would need to be home locations for the first round in an 8 team scenario.

Fan bases travel pretty well for the Basketball tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Fan bases travel pretty well for the Basketball tournament.

Filling a 15,000 seat arena is a lot different than a 80,000 seat stadium.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:43 AM »
Oops!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:05:12 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:31 AM »

Filling a 15,000 seat arena is a lot different than a 80,000 seat stadium.

Thanks Sultan.  In better words than I could muster.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »

Yep, here's what you do:

The weekend after conference championship week, you have the Final 8 first round at the home stadium of the higher-seeded team. For those 8 teams, you basically add a week to the regular season.

Normal break (minus one week) between regular season and bowl games...

Now Final four is then determined, and the Final Four meet in 2 bowl games as they will this season. Those that lost in the round of 8 get invited to other Bowl games.

And you have the National Championship game as you do this season.

You just add a week to regular season by making the first round of the playoff the week after Conference Championship week, and have the bowl season as you do now.

feedback