[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why was everyone all over St.Johns jock?  (Read 2287 times)

JD

• All American
Why was everyone all over St.Johns jock?
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
I don't understand why everyone thought they were going to win the BE tourney?  I get it that they handled a few BE teams as of late, but still?

I keep hearing there a lock to be in the elite 8, someone who likes St.Johns chances please give me some insight why?

Thanks

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: Why was everyone all over St.Johns jock?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »
I don't understand why everyone thought they were going to win the BE tourney?  I get it that they handled a few BE teams as of late, but still?

I keep hearing there a lock to be in the elite 8, someone who likes St.Johns chances please give me some insight why?

Thanks

Was this post meant for this board?
http://johnnyjungle.com/

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Yes, I would rather have an opinion here rather than a bias st. john board.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
He can't bash Marquette since we've been winning so he's picking on St. John's

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
i was actually really high on St Johns and still kind of am. they seemed to be peaking at the right time, and they showed they could beat anyone. plus they had/have one of the hottest players in the country right now. they've beaten the top teams in the country and the league. there's a lot to like.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
Except DJ Kennedy has a serious knee in jury now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
I agree with MUBurrow, there is a lot to like with St Johns. I haven't heard anyone saying they are a "lock for the elite 8" and I think that it is almost impossible to say that anyone is a "lock" to make it that far with the current parody in college hoops.

Also St Johns has 9 seniors on the roster. I think that is a big part of their success and in recent history we have seen that teams with senior leadership tend to do well in the tourney.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
I don't think too many people have them penciled into the elite 8 without Kennedy

Prior to that, the reason people were "all over their jock" was because they were loaded with seniors, have a disruptive style of play that presents match-up problems, and beat some of the top teams in the country (granted, they were all at the Garden).  They also have a big time scorer in Hardy.  I don't think sweet 16/possible elite 8 expectations were out of line.

JD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
Your right, I shouldn't have used the word lock so loosely,  I read somewhere that there odds were pretty high though, I want to say 70%?  I'll try and find the article

Thanks guys.

Go MU!

AL

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
They had been pretty dominant at Madison Square Garden this season. I think they blew out Duke there.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
They had been pretty dominant at Madison Square Garden this season. I think they blew out Duke there.

This. They were one of the hottest teams in the Big East/country up until the Seton Hall game. Adding the seniors that they had and one of the best players in the conference in Hardy , I think they had a very good chance to win the BET.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
St. John's IMO was like multiple other good Big East teams this year. They can look fabulous at times and very beatable at other times.

It will be interesting to see how the Big East ends up faring in the NCAA Tournament. I really have no clue what to expect.

Just as easily as i can see the Big East proving to be a strong/deep conference come the NCAA Tournament, i can also easily envision lots of early exits which leads to rants of the Big East being overrated this year.

With the league looking to have so many solid to good teams, but few great teams, we could easily end up seeing teams like Pittsburgh or Notre Dame lose before any number of lower ranked Big East teams.