[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wii, playstation etc.  (Read 4125 times)

MUUWUWM

• All American
Wii, playstation etc.
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
Am thinking of getting a Wii for my 7 and 5 year old and I know nothing about these systems such as Play station etc.

Can anyone offer me some feedback as far as do'd and don'ts and acccesories?

Thanks.

🏀

• All American
Re: Wii, playstation etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
Well, with PS3 and XBox360 both releasing their motion detection additions, the Wii technology is far behind their competitors now. However, for kids of that age the Wii does have more friendly games.

If you go with a Wii, make sure you get at least one extra Wiimote and nunchuck, so two people can play at once. Also, I would recommend a charging station with rechargeable batteries for the Wiimotes.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
Well, with PS3 and XBox360 both releasing their motion detection additions, the Wii technology is far behind their competitors now. However, for kids of that age the Wii does have more friendly games.

If you go with a Wii, make sure you get at least one extra Wiimote and nunchuck, so two people can play at once. Also, I would recommend a charging station with rechargeable batteries for the Wiimotes.

That's a great start, you really don't need any other accessories until you start buying games.  In general Wii games are cheaper so that is always an additional bonus.  For racing games like Mario cart, steering wheels adapters are great, or sports items like rackets, clubs can also make the game more fun and real.

Unless your kids are really into gaming already, Wii is probably the easiest and most kid friendly.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
That's a great start, you really don't need any other accessories until you start buying games.  In general Wii games are cheaper so that is always an additional bonus.  For racing games like Mario cart, steering wheels adapters are great, or sports items like rackets, clubs can also make the game more fun and real.

Unless your kids are really into gaming already, Wii is probably the easiest and most kid friendly.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »
Am thinking of getting a Wii for my 7 and 5 year old and I know nothing about these systems such as Play station etc.

Can anyone offer me some feedback as far as do'd and don'ts and acccesories?

Thanks.

We have a Wii and PS3.  The 8 year old plays primarily the Wii, the 12 year old primarily the PS3 but a bit of the Wii.  My wife, only the Wii...the PS3 controllers driver her nuts (though the Move controller is very easy).

Hope that helps. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
Get FIFA 2011 for the Wii.  Looking forward to destroying your little ones on the pitch.   :P

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:12 AM »

I agree with the extra batteries but would stay away from the Wii Charging Station. Go get yourself a bunch of good (like Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries, not the crappy kind from Best Buy) and nice charger. This way if the batteries die you always have reserve batteries.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
thanks for all the info. :)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »
We've enjoyed the wii.  There are a lot of great games for little kids and they really enjoy it.  I think it's a great system for little kids.  We have two sets of controllers and two steering wheels that you can put the wii remotes into.

We're just embarking into the PS3 world because two of our kids are a little older now (13 and 12).  If anyone has any suggestions for that, throw those on here too.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
Agreed.  At thier ages the Wii is the way to go.  Several games have a All-Play feature which makes them alot easier for children.  You can probably even get the wife to play  ;D

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
my kids are in there 20s and we all get on the Wii when we get together. It is a great family time. From playing rock guitar to Mario races.
It is something they don't outgrow

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »

+1

PS3 with Move and Xbox with Kinnect are far better graphics wise and game play wise, but the safest system by far, with kids of yours age, is Wii. Nintendo has done a great job of sticking by their kid friendly motto even when it isnt the best move for their market presence. However, PS3 does have a blu-ray player... which is nice.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
my kids are in there 20s and we all get on the Wii when we get together. It is a great family time. From playing rock guitar to Mario races.
It is something they don't outgrow

how can this post be deleted?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:33:41 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
We've enjoyed the wii.  There are a lot of great games for little kids and they really enjoy it.  I think it's a great system for little kids.  We have two sets of controllers and two steering wheels that you can put the wii remotes into.

We're just embarking into the PS3 world because two of our kids are a little older now (13 and 12).  If anyone has any suggestions for that, throw those on here too.

We just got the Move controllers for PS3.  It's nice.  Not a ton of games yet for it, but a bunch are coming in Q1 apparently.  We've had some family fun with Buzz Quiz Show trivia.  Little Big Planet is my daughter's favorite and my son loves to blow up the bad guys with Call of Duty type of games....a ton of Madden and baseball games that he plays as well.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
We just got the Move controllers for PS3.  It's nice.  Not a ton of games yet for it, but a bunch are coming in Q1 apparently. 

The sports disc that comes with the Move (I think it comes with it, at least the demo disc does) is pretty cool. It has Bocce, Ping Pong, Disc Golf, a Gladiator style fighting game, archery and volleyball. They are all really fun. Just wish they would have included bowling on it as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
The sports disc that comes with the Move (I think it comes with it, at least the demo disc does) is pretty cool. It has Bocce, Ping Pong, Disc Golf, a Gladiator style fighting game, archery and volleyball. They are all really fun. Just wish they would have included bowling on it as well.

Yeah, that's the one we have.  For Christmas I just bought a few other ones for the kids for under the tree. One was a game show \ reality tv game, another was a target shooting game.   By the way, MOVE works with High Velocity Bowling which you can download for like $9.99 or something from the pS3 store.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
We have friends who are big time gamers.  Dad, mom and both 8 yr old girls play WOW.  For Christmas they bought the family a red Wii.

For any bargain hunters out there I would check out slickdeals.net.  Some incredible deals get posted on that site for both online and B&M stores.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
I got a chance to try out the 360 Kinect Sports game at Best Buy yesterday.  I suspect that the sensor wasn't aligned perfectly, but it's fantastic.  I can't wait to see what developers end up coming up with for it after the introductory bunch of titles.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
We were going through a similar decision this year, and I was this close to buying a Wii.  Scratch that.  I did buy a Wii, games and charging system...

and then I returned it all and purchased Xbox + Kinect.  It was more expensive and we got fewer games, but I think it'll be the better long-term option.  I'll have to see how well it takes when it is officially busted out.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
the Wii sucks.

feedback