* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Opponents and the Harangody Defense  (Read 1876 times)

Benny B

• All American
MU Opponents and the Harangody Defense
« on: February 12, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
Any y'all remember the Gody Defense?

It wasn't a coined term, but it was essentially the opposite of a face-guard (or reverse box-and-one) against ND during the Harangody years... the thought was Harangody was going to get his buckets regardless of how you played him; so instead of focusing your defense on him, focus your defense on keeping the ball out of everyone else's hands.  I presume the strategy was some combination of a) wearing down Harangody by maximizing his time of possession and b) the statistical impossibility of one player outscoring an entire opposing team.

To their credit, both I4 and Bazz successfully employed the Gody-D.  Other BE coaches used it to mixed success, though some used it more as more of a last resort than an actual strategy.

Why do I bring this up?  Did Jay Wright employ some variation of the Gody-D in allowing Markus to get his while shutting down Sam & Joey?  I was going to go back and re-watch the game to see how Nova defended Markus vs. the Hausers in given possessions where Markus' defender would switch with Joey and Sam, but alas, the replay is no longer available on FoxSportsGo.

Did anyone else see this?  Did Sam and Joey simply have a crappy game?  Or would it have been a beautiful game plan had Jay not overlooked Sacar's emergence?

More importantly.... if the Gody-D becomes the Markus-D, would this worry anyone?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: MU Opponents and the Harangody Defense
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »
Maybe once in a while, but not consistently.  In fact, at times, they trapped Marcus aggressively after made baskets.  A 1-1-1-2 trap picking up at around 1/2 court.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
Maybe once in a while, but not consistently.  In fact, at times, they trapped Marcus aggressively after made baskets.  A 1-1-1-2 trap picking up at around 1/2 court.

They’ve done that for years. Nothing more than to slow the offensive team down, make them run an offense against a set half court defense, and be playing with a 20 second shot clock. They do the zone 3/4 quart and once the offense gets the ball over half court they pick up their man.

The Nova game plan definitely focused on making Markus make tough one on one shots and not letting the Hausers get open looks. In the first half the sideline reporter said she listened into Jay’s huddle and he said of the 8 shots Markus had taken he was totally fine with 6 of them and then at halftime the sideline reporter said Jay told her that even though Markus had 21 points he was fine with how they defended him and wanted to continue focusing their defense on the Hausers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »
I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but it seems to line up with some of Wright's comments. Seem to recall the sideline reporter saying repeatedly that Wright had said he didn't care if Markus scored 30 as long as they kept the Hausers from going off.

As to would it worry me? No. If Harangody beat you, it meant he was going off for like 35. If Markus beats you, it could mean going off for 50. Harangody couldn't legitimately outscore an opponent....Markus could.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »
Yes, Wades is correct.
Additionally, in Wright’s press conference, he was laughing stating that Sacar played an unbelievable game. Meaning.......Jay did not think that Sacar was the wildcard that was going to beat them.
Allow Markus to get his.
Don’t allow Hausers to get there.
Didn’t count on Sacar playing so well and being the difference maker.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Yes, Wades is correct.
Additionally, in Wright’s press conference, he was laughing stating that Sacar played an unbelievable game. Meaning.......Jay did not think that Sacar was the wildcard that was going to beat them.
Allow Markus to get his.
Don’t allow Hausers to get there.
Didn’t count on Sacar playing so well and being the difference maker.

He probably couldn't find him in the scouting report.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
He probably couldn't find him in the scouting report.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »
One difference with the Harangody D is N.D. was a poor defensive team.  N.D. was one of the best offenses in the country but could not play defense.

I would be worried with a Harangody D on Markus if this was last year's Marquette's defense.  This year you let Markus score 35 and the rest of the team only needs to score 30-35 to win.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »
Yup, I thought that too as the game unfolded, that Jay's game plan was to shut down Joey and Sam, thinking no way Markus can beat them by himself. I'm sure some of his thinking was with his personnel Joey and Sam were "easier" Guards then Markus was going to be. Thanks Sacar!  ;D
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
Sacar went for 14 twice last year against Nova.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
anyone remember Harangody's final game at ND?

2010 tourney against Old Dominion.  ODU make a couple free throws with about 12 seconds to go to open the lead to 3.    ND comes down and Carleton Scott misses a three with 8 seconds to go.  Harangody gets the OReb and basically dribbles the clock out as he goes for the layup inside.  Never once looking to pass out for another three.  Kind of the story of his last couple seasons.   I'll get mine, and you guys look out for yourselves.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
Yup, I thought that too as the game unfolded, that Jay's game plan was to shut down Joey and Sam, thinking no way Markus can beat them by himself. I'm sure some of his thinking was with his personnel Joey and Sam were "easier" Guards then Markus was going to be. Thanks Sacar!  ;D

He said that during halftime. He said Markus was going to need to score 60 on his own to win, if they shut everyone else down.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »
Didn't MU say this was the game plan against Wisconsin?  Happ would get his, but let's shut down everyone else?  Of course it is possible that was the narrative AFTER the results, but that's what I recall players and/or the coach saying.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.