'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight  (Read 22738 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »
Maybe its just the way you wrote this but I want to be clear that Buzz did not recruit Wes Matthews.
Yep, and Wes’s improvement under Buzz was mostly due to Dale Layer’s efforts.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Respect greatness.  Pats, Duke, etc...can be frustrating at times, but they accomplish what they do because they embody greatness.

Cheating is the embodiment of greatness?  I'd never expect you to say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
Respect greatness.  Pats Yankees, Duke, etc...can be frustrating at times, but they accomplish what they do because they embody greatness.

FIFO

Who is Coach K recruiting that he is in the area?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
FIFO

Who is Coach K recruiting that he is in the area?

Maybe Jalen J.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
Didn’t he just call in......from Durham?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
Didn’t he just call in......from Durham?

He was definitely a caller not in attendance
Maigh Eo for Sam

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
When Crean beat Duke he hung a banner in the Bradley Center.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
Got the show on Internet radio.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 04:40:34 PM »
When Crean beat Duke he hung a banner in the Bradley Center.

T-Cubed hung a banner each tyme he dropped a deuce, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »
Im pretty sure Wojo would find the grass greener at Duke

Going to be very interesting to see how that unfolds. My guess is if he is offered when K retires he takes the gig. I do think Wojo stays at MU unless Duke comes calling. Duke is just going to be very tough for him and his wife to pass up. It's going home in a sense. I would totally understand that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Are we just going to ignore the fact that Duke somehow got the top 3 guys in the recent recruiting class? Dukes recruiting classes over the last 10 years have looked a lot different than the 90s and early 2000s....$$$$$$$

Sorry, not buying it.  The world changed, but the same elite coach is there.  They don’t need to cheat.  If there is proof, great...show it.  Otherwise these one and dones get to play for arguably the best or no worse than top 5 college coach of all time.  A guy that will build their brand, get them the right training, coaching, etc to play manybuears in the NBA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
Cheating is the embodiment of greatness?  I'd never expect you to say that.

They have won plenty without cheating.  I don’t support cheating. The deflate gate was a joke, but the video taping was much more sinister and if I recall I thought that was not proven.  Memore fading?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
More important Wade and Wojo was on Coach K's, Sirius XM Show. Basketball & Beyond

https://player.siriusxm.com/now-playing
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 06:18:57 PM »
Sorry, not buying it.  The world changed, but the same elite coach is there.  They don’t need to cheat.  If there is proof, great...show it.  Otherwise these one and dones get to play for arguably the best or no worse than top 5 college coach of all time.  A guy that will build their brand, get them the right training, coaching, etc to play manybuears in the NBA

Well Wendell Carter's name came up in the FBI probe for his mom having a meal with Dawkins, someone involved in getting multiple players paid.  But I'm sure Mrs. Carter just wanted to meet with him and say thank you but no thanks, Duke isn't offering money but my son can play for free for the greatest coach out there.

And Zion's financial requests were discussed in a conversation between a Kansas assistant coach (a school that was trying to pay basically every 5 star recruit to come to it) and Code.  But I'm sure Zion just passed up on the cash and chose Duke, despite it being a complete shock to literally everyone (was thought to be a done deal to Clemson, with UNC and Kansas being FAR more likely than Duke).

You really think that fringe 5 stars were getting paid $100,000.00 by schools but Duke got the top 3 recruits in the country without paying a dime?  Come on now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »
Well Wendell Carter's name came up in the FBI probe for his mom having a meal with Dawkins, someone involved in getting multiple players paid.  But I'm sure Mrs. Carter just wanted to meet with him and say thank you but no thanks, Duke isn't offering money but my son can play for free for the greatest coach out there.

And Zion's financial requests were discussed in a conversation between a Kansas assistant coach (a school that was trying to pay basically every 5 star recruit to come to it) and Code.  But I'm sure Zion just passed up on the cash and chose Duke, despite it being a complete shock to literally everyone (was thought to be a done deal to Clemson, with UNC and Kansas being FAR more likely than Duke).

You really think that fringe 5 stars were getting paid $100,000.00 by schools but Duke got the top 3 recruits in the country without paying a dime?  Come on now.

Then therefore Wojo must be guilty too, since he used to work there. Right?  Come on now, how naive can you be....right?  They must all be in on it.

The connective tissues with accusations and actual stuff that happens has become weaker and weaker the last few years.  Yes, I believe some schools have to pay and others don’t.  Yes, I believe that.  Having lived in Lawrence and Tucson, yes I can see why someone needs to induce me to attend over other places.

There are plenty of examples over the years of players admitting LONG after their playing days that school Y offered them something but they went elsewhere for nothing.  I’d ask you why that isn’t possible here, especially when the result is playing for K and then you get to go to NBA?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
Then therefore Wojo must be guilty too, since he used to work there. Right?  Come on now, how naive can you be....right?  They must all be in on it.

The connective tissues with accusations and actual stuff that happens has become weaker and weaker the last few years.  Yes, I believe some schools have to pay and others don’t.  Yes, I believe that.  Having lived in Lawrence and Tucson, yes I can see why someone needs to induce me to attend over other places.

There are plenty of examples over the years of players admitting LONG after their playing days that school Y offered them something but they went elsewhere for nothing.  I’d ask you why that isn’t possible here, especially when the result is playing for K and then you get to go to NBA?

The “connective tissues” here is the FBI, so...

And I don’t know about you but personally I think Zion Williamson MIGHT be able to make it to the NBA even if he had to be coached by someone other than Coach K.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »

T-Cubed hung a banner each tyme he dropped a deuce, hey?
Did the same thing at Indiana.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »
If there is proof, great...show it. 
Chicos—haven’t you been asked something along these same lines for years now?
Is that other shoe gonna drop?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2019, 08:49:39 PM »
The “connective tissues” here is the FBI, so...

And I don’t know about you but personally I think Zion Williamson MIGHT be able to make it to the NBA even if he had to be coached by someone other than Coach K.

Yup, he could.  Which is the point, he is going to make a ton of money next.  $100k now is nothing.  He said himself that he went to Duke to help grow his brand.  Quite frankly, your brand has a better launchpoint there than Kansas or other high major places.  It just does if you look at the numbers.

As long as K is there, theybstand the chance of getting that type of class every year under the current rules and there is no reason they have to spend a dime.  Others might feel they have to because they don’t have K and don’t have location, conference, tv exposure, etc.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:50 PM »
Chicos—haven’t you been asked something along these same lines for years now?
Is that other shoe gonna drop?

He gone, right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
Yup, he could.  Which is the point, he is going to make a ton of money next.  $100k now is nothing.  He said himself that he went to Duke to help grow his brand.  Quite frankly, your brand has a better launchpoint there than Kansas or other high major places.  It just does if you look at the numbers.

As long as K is there, theybstand the chance of getting that type of class every year under the current rules and there is no reason they have to spend a dime.  Others might feel they have to because they don’t have K and don’t have location, conference, tv exposure, etc.

So did Duke/Coach K just not want that type of class before the past 5 or so seasons or...?

What changed?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
Never immediately follow a legend unless you are a legend yourself.  If Wojo becomes a legend here, then we will all be happy.
Roy Williams situation. After Dean left UNC, what's his face screwed up, then Roy came in as a knight in shining armor.  And it's not like Roy had a bum deal at Kansas either.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »
He gone, right?

BS

He was gone BEFORE you made your BS "you just wait, big stuff will come out, other shoes will drop" comments. You had nothing and were just running your mouth about a guy you hated. Why did you hate him and actively root against him? First, you never wanted him. But more importantly, you hated him because he was a better coach than your boy and, worse yet, people liked him. That drove you absolutely batty.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2019, 11:25:58 PM »
Going to be very interesting to see how that unfolds. My guess is if he is offered when K retires he takes the gig. I do think Wojo stays at MU unless Duke comes calling. Duke is just going to be very tough for him and his wife to pass up. It's going home in a sense. I would totally understand that.

After hearing this, my feeling is that the list of places that Wojo would go to is fairly short, although not entirely limited to Duke.  I would wonder if Brey left ND if he would go there.  But based on where other Coach K acolytes have gone, my guess is that private, fairly serious academic institutions with decent tradition are the only places he’d look, which eliminates a lot of the normal contenders.  I feel pretty good about him sticking around for a while.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 04:59:43 AM »
Lenny
I ended up becoming a big Buzz guy and I believe Chico’s is 100% correct on the other shoe(s) dropping. Just because shoes did not drop, does not mean that they do not exist. Quite possibly those shoes are the exact reason why Buzz is no longer here.