[Today at 03:07:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pilarz to step down  (Read 101154 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Pilarz to step down
« Reply #375 on: September 25, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:28:57 AM by Terror Skink »

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #376 on: September 25, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
Interesting policy at LegsJr's school (where he just started), repeated in several forums over orientation weekend:

1) Underage drinking is illegal in the state;
2) Underage drinking is against school policy and subject to discipline;
3) Hard liquor is banned from dorms and prohibited whether or not underage;
4) We understand that college students will drink;
5) Nobody checks dorm rooms.

The not so subtle message:  OK to drink beer, just don't be an idiot.

As to  FFP program, without it, we wouldn't have ahd Chris Farley (and about one-third of my MU friends).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 25, 2013, 08:37:05 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:53:02 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »
Nancy Pelosi and Ted Cruz (for that matter, most politicians) aren't "pro real-world."  Bashar Assad isn't pro real-world.  Hippies aren't pro real-world.  Tom Cruise isn't pro real-world.  People who bomb abortion clinics and shoot up malls aren't pro real-world.

In other words, people who would rather force others to live in an idealistic world (in their mind) than simply adapt their ideology to the world we live in are not "pro real-world."

Pope Francis is a good example of someone who is "pro real-world."

I deleted my original post because, as I thought about it more, I understood what the OP meant. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #379 on: September 25, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »

I deleted my original post because, as I thought about it more, I understood what the OP meant. 

Fair enough.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #380 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
Miss Katie's has lost it's fastball. At one time it was a decent place to have a few and play that table top shuffleboard game. I think Dukiet may have even had team meals there, but I may be mistaken. Last time I was there, maybe 2011, it just seemed dank.

But it is the only place near campus that'll let you drink as long as you can entertain the bartender.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Norm

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 25, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »
We had an entirely different RA experience.  Mine would rarely stumble out of his room (which was the most disgusting mess of a room I have ever seen BTW) and when he did, he would tell us to "keep it down and don't be stupid" and then stumble back, never to be heard from again.  This was '89-'90 & '90-91...think I had the same guy for both years.
Yeah, we actually used to drink with our RAs. We even carried one home from the bars one night because he passed out on his bar stool.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #382 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
Smoked weed with my RA. in his room in Schroeder.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 25, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
I remember RAs busting down doors on Friday nights because they "heard a can open."

RAs were always the worst and it always seemed Marquette had the strictest system when sharing stories with HS friends at different colleges.

It really depends on the RA. Personally, I had a couple of awesome RAs (from a student perspective). In each case, he more or less said that he knew we were going to drink so just keep it in our rooms, keep the volume reasonable and don't destroy anything. I honestly don't think our wing had any issues. We actually had multiple keg parties on our floor in Schroeder and the RA kept the "on duty" RAs in the loop and they stayed away from our floor those nights knowing that he'd step in if anything got out of hand...which it never did. Ahh, college.

Now that I think about it, my Schroeder RA was a psych major who currently has a PhD. I wonder if he was experimenting on us by giving us freedom and seeing if we handled the responsibility or turned into Lord of the Flies.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:40:18 AM by MerrittsMustache »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
My freshman RA, the huge Cubs fan, attempted to write up a bunch of us for celebrating too loudly when the ball went through Leon Durham's legs.    Good times. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
I was an RA. And this entire conversation just makes me laugh and SMH
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
I was an RA. And this entire conversation just makes me laugh and SMH

How bad was the pain when the Office of Residence Life neutered you?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
I remember RAs busting down doors on Friday nights because they "heard a can open."

RAs were always the worst and it always seemed Marquette had the strictest system when sharing stories with HS friends at different colleges.

Had an RA like that... total knob, pranked him a lot after that

---

revisiting the who should be president discussion: how is it possible no one actually came up with MULS DeanJoseph Kearney. more reasonable than putting a politico at the head of MU.

great resume: honors graduate of Yale College and Harvard Law School SCOTUS Clerkship
raised $100m for the new building so he knows how to work a room, great working relationship with the archdioceses and a catholic layperson.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #388 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
Had two good RA's.  Shout out to Scott McDonald and Frank Fanella.

Had friends on other floors with not so great RA's. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #389 on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
In 1970 the bars included:

Lenny's Tap
The Avalanche
The Ardmore
The Gym
Hegarty's
The Black Spider
Who's Inn

On the edge of campus, drink and live entertainment at the Holiday Inn on 20th and Wisconsin.

And:
Oh Johnny's
Stone Toad
Filling Station
Swinging Door
Crickets
Midget Bar
Fin n' Feather
Jim's Time Out
Ambassador
Eagles Club

Looking back, no wonder some of my friends took 8 years to graduate. Why leave until you have to?

Lenny,

I would add the following to your list:

Glocca Mora
Grunt's
State House
Camel Club
The Harp
The VFW (Nickel Beers on Mondays)
Mug Rack
Zur Krone
Schlitz Brewery Brown Bottle (Free Beer)
Pabst Brewery Tasting Room (Free Beer)
Miller Brewery Tasting Room (Free Beer)

For those who craved an earthier drinking experience there was always Ricky's on State...

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Lenny,

Glocca Mora
Grunt's
State House
Camel Club
The Harp
Mug Rack
Zur Krone

For those who craved an earthier drinking experience there was always Ricky's on State...

He's back!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
Yes, but is he throwing his hat in the ring to lead MU?    ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #392 on: September 25, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
It really depends on the RA. Personally, I had a couple of awesome RAs (from a student perspective). In each case, he more or less said that he knew we were going to drink so just keep it in our rooms, keep the volume reasonable and don't destroy anything. I honestly don't think our wing had any issues. We actually had multiple keg parties on our floor in Schroeder and the RA kept the "on duty" RAs in the loop and they stayed away from our floor those nights knowing that he'd step in if anything got out of hand...which it never did. Ahh, college.

Now that I think about it, my Schroeder RA was a psych major who currently has a PhD. I wonder if he was experimenting on us by giving us freedom and seeing if we handled the responsibility or turned into Lord of the Flies.

I agree with this.  My freshmen year(99) in McCormick we'd stop by our RA for him to place his beer order when we made our beer runs.  In fact one time we only managed to get two 6 packs of PBR in when we had "orders" for at least 5...told him we were going to have a lottery, he took a 6 pack and said let me know how you split the other one and walked away.

Sophomore year in East we had a real douche nozzle...wrote a guy up in the first week of school because he had a gold fish in a Smirnoff bottle.  Fortunately the floor all knew each other so we pushed back pretty hard and he backed off once the hall director had to get involved a couple of times.

Comes down to the individuals and what the orders are from on top.  I think you can CYA on the legal side and still give the students room to make some "safe" mistakes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #393 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
Yes, but is he throwing his hat in the ring to lead MU?    ;D

I would be about as qualified to run MU as Russ Feingold (which is to say not at all...)

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #394 on: September 25, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
He's back!

Just been really, really busy. The choice was to read the mental masturbation here or work on getting an Hg+Cl technology in place for EU compliance with the incipient Minamata Convention. Somehow I felt that working to eliminate anthropogenic elemental Hg from the environment was a more compelling endeavor than arguing about the rightful place of MU basketball in the annals of NCAA history.

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #395 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
For once we agree.  Back to work!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #396 on: September 25, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
Lenny,

Glocca Mora
Grunt's
State House
Camel Club
The Harp
Mug Rack
Zur Krone

Great additions. Welcome back - this place isn't nearly as much fun without you.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #397 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Just been really, really busy. The choice was to read the mental masturbation here or work on getting an Hg+Cl technology in place for EU compliance with the incipient Minamata Convention. Somehow I felt that working to eliminate anthropogenic elemental Hg from the environment was a more compelling endeavor than arguing about the rightful place of MU basketball in the annals of NCAA history.

You'd rather do that than discuss the proper color of corn hole bags?  Sheesh.
Have some patience, FFS.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #398 on: September 25, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
Wild is coming back.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
Goal is National Championship