Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette's NCAA Dream Scenarios  (Read 2543 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette's NCAA Dream Scenarios
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
Last week we covered some teams that present significant matchup problems for Marquette. This week we're looking at teams Marquette offers similar challenges to. If Marquette sees these teams in the bracket on the opening weekend, hopes should be high for a Sweet 16 run.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/02/marquettes-ncaa-dream-scenarios.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette's NCAA Dream Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
Many bracketologists now project Marquette as a 3 seed. That's consistent with our latest ranking in the AP and coach's polls (#11 and #10, respectively).

But that seems to ignore MU's current #19 NET ranking. NET, of course, being the new system developed by the NCAA -- designed to serve as "the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men's basketball season." By that measure, MU is a 5 seed. Pretty big difference.

Do we have any indication of how important the NET will be in seeding? Or do you expect the polls and the NET rankings will converge over the final weeks of the season?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
Well, the Selection Committee had us at a 3 seed and we haven't lost since. And our NET was lower at that point than it is now. So it's clearly not THAT important.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
So it's clearly not THAT important.

In our case, it seems completely irrelevant. So why develop a new tool in the first place?

I'm not complaining about a better seed for MU. But I also don't want to get my hopes too high and be disappointed if the committee pays more attention to its own evaluation tool come Selection Sunday.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
In our case, it seems completely irrelevant. So why develop a new tool in the first place?

I'm not complaining about a better seed for MU. But I also don't want to get my hopes too high and be disappointed if the committee pays more attention to its own evaluation tool come Selection Sunday.

They are using it in the same way they used RPI.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »

NET, like other metrics, is a sorting tool. It's useful to give a good sketch of the differences between 1-5 and 6-10, of 11-20 and 21-40, etc. The Committee seems to acknowledge it's not perfect & will dig deeper into resumes to separate the teams further.

For a couple examples, start with (18) Kansas & (20) Villanova. Identical records, similar NET, but Kansas is a consensus 3-seed & Villanova is around the 5-6 lines. It's pretty clear when you compare the quality of KU's wins to Nova's. Or look at (33) Florida & (35) Texas. Similar records, but Texas is solidly in the field thanks to their excellent Q1A victories while Florida is generally considered to be on the wrong side of the bubble.

The metrics may add up about the same, but it comes down to the Committee to figure out what separates teams in those groups.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:26:48 PM »
They wanted a better sorting tool........manipulating the RPI became the focus of scheduling......they wanted a tool that didn't drop you in the ranking merely for playing a bad team.....even if you killed them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
I don't want to say any approach is a dream scenario, too much playing with the Ju Ju Gods of superstition.  Win and advance, I don't care whom or how.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
It's really no difference than this...

Long teams...Maryland, FSU, etc....not good for us

Some teams are bad matchups on paper. For others, we're the bad matchup. Besides, life is no fun if you only look at the negatives.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
It's really no difference than this...

Some teams are bad matchups on paper. For others, we're the bad matchup. Besides, life is no fun if you only look at the negatives.

Yeah, but psychologically saying I hope we play ____ or _____ or _____ just screams bite us in the arse to me.  Be careful what you wish for mentality.  Can't do it.  There are teams I want no part of, and there are teams that I don't fear but aren't on my dream list because of ^ ^ ^ ^
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
Yeah, but psychologically saying I hope we play ____ or _____ or _____ just screams bite us in the arse to me.  Be careful what you wish for mentality.  Can't do it.  There are teams I want no part of, and there are teams that I don't fear but aren't on my dream list because of ^ ^ ^ ^

I already have the expectation that we won't survive the first weekend, so any victories are gravy. And who doesn't want to see Buzz on the sideline one more time? ;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Many bracketologists now project Marquette as a 3 seed. That's consistent with our latest ranking in the AP and coach's polls (#11 and #10, respectively).

But that seems to ignore MU's current #19 NET ranking. NET, of course, being the new system developed by the NCAA -- designed to serve as "the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men's basketball season." By that measure, MU is a 5 seed. Pretty big difference.

Do we have any indication of how important the NET will be in seeding? Or do you expect the polls and the NET rankings will converge over the final weeks of the season?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

You answered your own question:

"the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams"

Ever use the Sort function in Excel?  Did it influence your evaluation of the data or simply help with your evaluation?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »
I think NET ranking is what is keeping us and will eventually stop us from getting to the 2 line. Even if we go to 30-4 by winning out our NR will most likely be 19-21 where it has been all freaking season. I good team to compare is Nevada who has 1 loss no good wins but was given a 4 seed.

I am still getting up to speed on how Net Rankings work but If I am correct the only way we could move up significantly is if we blast Nova at their place.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
I already have the expectation that we won't survive the first weekend, so any victories are gravy. And who doesn't want to see Buzz on the sideline one more time? ;)

Hey at least we will get to optimize the boss button for a meaningful game for a change.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:23:55 AM »
I am still getting up to speed on how Net Rankings work but If I am correct the only way we could move up significantly is if we blast Nova at their place.

No. It will move up significantly if we blast any team by more than we are "supposed" to.

Beating Georgetown at home by 30 would likely do more for our NET than winning at Villanova by 15. Now, its not the actual scoring margin that makes the difference, its the fact that we would need to be playing very efficiently (or making Georgetown play inefficiently) in order to beat them by 30. While we don't know the nuts and bolts of NET yet, it is clear that efficiency numbers play a huge role.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback