'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John thread  (Read 22932 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Theo John thread.
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »
Rather have him play 4 years.

ba-ba-BONUS!
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
My ideal roster today:

• Vacant scholarship (1): allows for roster flexibility to take a transfer or decommit, or PR move of giving it to a walk-on.
  • Redshirt (1): Whether a player redshirting or sitting out a transfer year, I think it's a benefit to have one practice player who doesn't upset the playing time matrix.
  • Grad Transfer (1): Every team has a need, having one grad transfer allows a team to fill that need. It also allows the flexibility of always being able to recruit that spot with a freshman the following year.
  • Seniors (2.5)
  • Juniors (2.5)
  • Sophomores (2.5)
  • Freshmen (2.5)
All of the "conventional" freshmen-seniors are flexible. I think you ideally want a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 in each class. Unless you're Kentucky, it's tough to replace 5+ players in one year. This gives a roster that is balanced, experienced, and generally will only have 11 players vying for 200 minutes. In a typical 8.5 man rotation, this really just means you need to convince half of your 5 freshmen/sophomores to wait their turn. If your rotation goes 9-10 deep, it would definitely be easier to keep them all relatively happy, at least to the point where they can see their turn coming.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
JJJ and others are right, and I have been preaching this since the season ended...I want as much talent as can be accumulated, no matter how it's accumulated. Two absolute STUD grad transfers that fit needs would be absolutely perfect for next year..If Elliott comes that fills your three scholarships, and opens up one again for Joey in 2018. Look, this last year was all about making the tourney, they did that. But this upcoming year is about taking it a step further and not only getting to the tourney but winning when they get there..I think without a grad transfer(or 2), there will just be too many holes to fill for them to possibly even make the tourney again, and a step back would NOT be a good thing for the program.

I would take a traditional transfer next year and a grad transfer, but that grad transfer better be a flat out stud so he can help immediately as more then just a minimal role player. I'd LOVE for Noah Dickerson to transfer to MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
I would take a traditional transfer next year and a grad transfer, but that grad transfer better be a flat out stud so he can help immediately as more then just a minimal role player. I'd LOVE for Noah Dickerson to transfer to MU.

FWIW, Dickerson has not been granted his release. He met with Mike Hopkins yesterday and it sounds like he may be staying at Washington.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
ba-ba-BONUS!

CBB bonus ep this Thursday??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 10:23:29 PM »
Rodney Pryor was the least of Georgetown's issues (well, maybe 2nd least outside of LJ Peak).

So you suggest going into next year with 10 scholarship players (1 of which is ineligible for 40% of the season), and just see what happens!  Sounds brilliant.

Duke had less than that 2 season ago.  Their season turned out alright.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2017, 11:12:02 PM »
JJJ and others are right, and I have been preaching this since the season ended...I want as much talent as can be accumulated, no matter how it's accumulated. Two absolute STUD grad transfers that fit needs would be absolutely perfect for next year..If Elliott comes that fills your three scholarships, and opens up one again for Joey in 2018. Look, this last year was all about making the tourney, they did that. But this upcoming year is about taking it a step further and not only getting to the tourney but winning when they get there..I think without a grad transfer(or 2), there will just be too many holes to fill for them to possibly even make the tourney again, and a step back would NOT be a good thing for the program.

See JamilJaeJamailJrJuan, you have muguru on your side.  I rest my case!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
See JamilJaeJamailJrJuan, you have muguru on your side.  I rest my case!!!

Lol, thats nearing the death sentence of MUFINY.

Duke had less than that 2 season ago.  Their season turned out alright.

We have nowhere near the talent that Duke has.  We have 3 returning legitimate high major players, 3 major question marks, a dude who is ineligible for half the season, and 3 unrated freshman.  Big difference.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
a step back would NOT be a good thing for the program muguru's sanity.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
We have nowhere near the talent that Duke has.  We have 3 returning legitimate high major players, 3 major question marks, a dude who is ineligible for half the season, and 3 unrated freshman.  Big difference.   

Not that it makes a big difference, but Jamal Cain is 83rd in the 247 Composite rankings and Theo isn't far outside the top 100 (113th). Jamal is 95th in the RSCI rankings.
And I'm not sure it's fair to label Haanif a "major" question mark (I'm assuming you're calling Rowsey, Howard and Hauser the 'legit' players). He got a bit off course this season, but he's a really talented kid who ought to get back on track with a more clearly defined role next season.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
Not that it makes a big difference, but Jamal Cain is 83rd in the 247 Composite rankings and Theo isn't far outside the top 100 (113th). Jamal is 95th in the RSCI rankings.
And I'm not sure it's fair to label Haanif a "major" question mark (I'm assuming you're calling Rowsey, Howard and Hauser the 'legit' players). He got a bit off course this season, but he's a really talented kid who ought to get back on track with a more clearly defined role next season.

Dont get me wrong, I like all of our recruits and they all fill a need.  But to expect any of them to be major impact players next year is silly.  I think Theo will have the biggest impact simply because we badly need a player of his style.  I think he would have gotten good minutes on the team this year!

I love Hanni.  But to label him anything other than a question mark is being optimistic.  I hope like hell he comes back with a fury next season.  But the scouting report is out on him, and if he doesn't develop his right hand and some semblance of a mid range game (FWIW, I think he'll do both), he's nothing more than a bench contributor. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
Re: Theo John thread
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »
And in the Sacar Amin thread, someone said that they were "super excited to see what Sacar can do next year."  Hopefully, he gets a chance to show what he can do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:58:23 AM by 4everCrean »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Theo John thread
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
And in the Sacar Amin thread, someone said that they were "super excited to see what Sacar can do next year."

You're a piece of work.  I am excited to see what Sacar can do next year.  I'm not so excited to see what he can do that I feel comfortable entering next season with him at the top of the depth chart at SF and number 2 at SG, or visa versa.

Thankfully those in charge of recruiting likely agree with me, and I am confident we'll have at a minimum 12 scholarship players.  But continue to bang that drum!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
I love Hanni.  But to label him anything other than a question mark is being optimistic.  I hope like hell he comes back with a fury next season.  But the scouting report is out on him, and if he doesn't develop his right hand and some semblance of a mid range game (FWIW, I think he'll do both), he's nothing more than a bench contributor.

To say Haanif can be counted on for a big season is optimistic.
To label him a "major question mark" along with someone like Sacar is overly pessimistic.
Fact is, despite all the struggles (IMO,somewhat the result of an undefined role), Haanif's per 40 numbers were largely on par with Sam and Duane, and his advanced stats across the board were better than Duane's. Somehow I doubt anyone here would label Duane a "major question mark" if he were returning.

Again, no one is disputing Haanif struggled last season and will need a bounce back year, but calling him a "major question mark" is unfair and inaccurate.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
To label him a "major question mark" along with someone like Sacar is overly pessimistic.
Fact is, despite all the struggles (IMO,somewhat the result of an undefined role), Haanif's per 40 numbers were largely on par with Sam and Duane, and his advanced stats across the board were better than Duane's. Somehow I doubt anyone here would label Duane a "major question mark" if he were returning.

Again, no one is disputing Haanif struggled last season and will need a bounce back year, but calling him a "major question mark" is unfair and inaccurate.
To be fair he really struggled the last half of the BE season.  in the last 5 games through the NCAA , he had 7 points and 4 rebounds in 52 minutes of play.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
To be fair he really struggled the last half of the BE season.  in the last 5 games through the NCAA , he had 7 points and 4 rebounds in 52 minutes of play.

I think he is a major question mark because I am sure they are looking for 2 or 3 for next year, add Anim and Cain and there might be 3 kids he has to beat out
for time.  To change his game in 6 months is not easy.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2017, 01:14:24 PM »

I don't know how else to say it.  I like Hanni.  I think he can still be a good player for MU.  He is likely our 4th best returning player.  I think that is a problem, and that is the basis on my ongoing discussion with 4evercrean is who incredibly scared of hurting feelings.   

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Lol, thats nearing the death sentence of MUFINY.

Soph M2N > Frosh Trey2N

Hang a natty banner baby

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
I don't know how else to say it.  I like Hanni.  I think he can still be a good player for MU.  He is likely our 4th best returning player.  I think that is a problem, and that is the basis on my ongoing discussion with 4evercrean is who incredibly scared of hurting feelings.

Not yours, my friend. 

And who said Sacar would be at the top of the depth chart at either 2G or SF?  Out of Cheatham, Hauser, Cain and Sacar, I think only one will start with Howard and Rowsey most likely continuing as the starting backcourt.  And that starter is almost assurredly going to be Hauser.  So you're going to sit Sam down for a grad transfer after he started as a freshman while we're trying to recruit his brother?  Hmmm.  I think these facts are why Wojo has said that he's looking for a freshman to redshirt on the wing this spring.  Unfortunately Elliot has probably out grown that description.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
Not yours, my friend. 

And who said Sacar would be at the top of the depth chart at either 2G or SF?  Out of Cheatham, Hauser, Cain and Sacar, I think only one will start with Howard and Rowsey most likely continuing as the starting backcourt.  And that starter is almost assurredly going to be Hauser.  So you're going to sit Sam down for a grad transfer after he started as a freshman while we're trying to recruit his brother?  Hmmm.  I think these facts are why Wojo has said that he's looking for a freshman to redshirt on the wing this spring.  Unfortunately Elliot has probably out grown that description.

I provided this for you yesterday, but I will provide it again.  Right now our incredibly thin roster currently looks like this:

PG: Howard / Rowsey
SG: Cheatham / Anim
SF: Hauser / Cain
PF: John / Froling (when eligible)
C: Heldt / Eke (would be ideal RS)

So yes, Anim is currently the main backup at SG and SF, if he isn't starting. 

I have never said anything about Sam being moved to the bench.  Your words, not mine.  That isn't going to happen. 

I think the freshman to RS is Eke. But that requires us getting another front court player, either via grad transfer or Clifton Moore.  Elliot would be great to land, I hope we get him.  Outside of that, it is obvious that we still need a do it all wing type that can play next year.  I think most here agree. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:44:11 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
I provided this for you yesterday, but I will provide it again.  Right now our incredibly thin roster currently looks like this:

PG: Howard / Rowsey
SG: Cheatham / Anim
SF: Hauser / Cain
PF: John / Froling (when eligible)
C: Heldt / Eke (would be ideal RS)

So yes, Anim is currently the main backup at SG and SF, if he isn't starting. 

I have never said anything about Sam being moved to the bench.  Your words, not mine.  That isn't going to happen. 

I think the freshman to RS is Eke. But that requires us getting another front court player, either via grad transfer or Clifton Moore.  Elliot would be great to land, I hope we get him.  Outside of that, it is obvious that we still need a do it all wing type that can play next year.  I think most here agree.

We don't disagree that the roster could use some depth.  I like the idea to get a grad transfer big to alow Eke to redshirt, although its not crucial - you really only need three bigs to rotate in - and Eke will be there to provide a fourth for practice whether he redshirts or not.

The problem with your roster list is it assumes that Howard and Rowsey as the two point guards will not be on the floor at the same time, they will.  Whoever isn't playing the point will be the 2G, and the best 2G on the roster will probably be the main backup to both, but not be a starter.  You say that your grad transfer wing won't sit Sam down, so where's he going to play?  The four spot?  That might have worked with this year's roster so short on big men, but that won't be the case this year with three new bigs on the roster replacing only one who left creating a net gain of two bigs.

Players grad transfer because they want to be the man.  If MU can't offer a reasonable chance of starting, then how good are the chances of MU getting a quality GT wing?  We might get someone with a little skill willing to be a bench player on a NCAA team, but that's probably the best senario.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
We don't disagree that the roster could use some depth.  I like the idea to get a grad transfer big to alow Eke to redshirt, although its not crucial - you really only need three bigs to rotate in - and Eke will be there to provide a fourth for practice whether he redshirts or not.

The problem with your roster list is it assumes that Howard and Rowsey as the two point guards will not be on the floor at the same time, they will.  Whoever isn't playing the point will be the 2G, and the best 2G on the roster will probably be the main backup to both, but not be a starter.  You say that your grad transfer wing won't sit Sam down, so where's he going to play?  The four spot?  That might have worked with this year's roster so short on big men, but that won't be the case this year with three new bigs on the roster replacing only one who left creating a net gain of two bigs.

Players grad transfer because they want to be the man.  If MU can't offer a reasonable chance of starting, then how good are the chances of MU getting a quality GT wing?  We might get someone with a little skill willing to be a bench player on a NCAA team, but that's probably the best senario.

Rowsey and Howard will definitely play some together because both deserve 25+ MPG, but both had foul issues this year, and I suspect for defensive purposes, they won't be on the court together more than 10-15 minutes per game next year. 

Just purely based on a numbers game, Sam is going to play the 4 quite a bit until Froling is eligible to play.  So there are plenty of minutes to go around. 

I suppose we can agree to disagree and move on.  I am fairly confident Wojo will do what he can to add a high impact wing.  Whether or not he lands one we'll have to wait and see.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Players grad transfer because they want to be the man.

Not necessarily. Katin transferred because he wanted to be the man. Others transfer because they want to be a part of something. My guess is that Wojo will going after stud grad transfers who are more interested in making the tournament than making the association. My gut tells me that if we get a grad transfer, it will be from a school that didn't make the tournament last season and isn't projected to make the tournament this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Not necessarily. Katin transferred because he wanted to be the man. Others transfer because they want to be a part of something. My guess is that Wojo will going after stud grad transfers who are more interested in making the tournament than making the association. My gut tells me that if we get a grad transfer, it will be from a school that didn't make the tournament last season and isn't projected to make the tournament this season.

And even he adapted to not being the man.  Guy chose not to start on senior day!  Sometimes guys buy in. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
And even he adapted to not being the man.  Guy chose not to start on senior day!  Sometimes guys buy in.
KR grew a lot over the course of the season.  I am glad it worked out so well . I hope he finds success overseas.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback