[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Good News  (Read 1002 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
The Good News
« on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
Tough loss obviously, especially the way it went down, but...

-In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a huge loss. No conference tourney bye most likely, but with WVU's loss, we're still locked in the 5 spot.

-Matthews was great today. Hayward had a tough game, and Matthews picked it up and really got the team going.

-The defensive pressure was fantastic (most of the game). After we went up 11, it slacked a bit, but the pressure was outstanding.

-Burke's put back was awesome. Given he missed the FT, but that was an gigantic play in this game. We'll need Burke in the tourney. Depending on who we play, Barro, Burke and Trevor are going to have to play big for us to go far. Give the kid credit for sticking with it.

-Win the bunny on Tuesday night, add a road win in Syracuse a week from today, and head to NYC with a chip on our shoulders.

Big Papi

• All American
Re: The Good News
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:05:06 PM »
Very tough loss.  Kind of had a feeling it was going to be a nailbiter and possible heartbreaker when I looked at the game clock and saw that there was still 12 minutes left in the game when we had a decent lead.  I usually never have these types of feelings oh well.

Thought Mbakwe and Burke had very good games in the grand scheme of things.  Some missed bunnies by them but oh well.  Mbakwe will be a force next year.

Hayward had such a disappointing game.

Matthews was clutch early and McNeal was real good late.

We don't have a go to go at the end of the game that wants the ball and can produce.  GT bracketed Dom and he should have passed the ball to McNeal on the wing a few seconds earlier but he really should have used his quickness and his burst to his advantage on that last play.

The foul on the 3 point play with 2 seconds left now makes decision making late in games a very sore spot.  Just TOO many stupid fouls late in games for such an inexperienced. 

Wow did GT get lucky again.  That hail mary 3 point shot was such a backbreaker.  Add Rivers way deep 3 in the first half with shot clock expiring as well.  Would love to get some of that luck on our side during the tourny.

Barro had a horrible horrible game.  Back to Burke.  Glad to see Burke come up big.  Played great defense against hibbert with Hibbert hitting some tough big shots against him. 

Was hopeful for a 4 seed but we needed this win so this loss did hurt. 

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: The Good News
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:19:01 PM »
You're right, the 4 is dead unless we win the BE tourney now.  I am really hopeful that we can make the sweet 16 this year and I think a 6 seed or better would give us a good chance to do that.  Don't want to slip below that.  We need to win two more Big East games (Syracuse + Big East tourney) to make sure that happens.  I know we're better than Syracduse, but we were better than them last year and they handled us pretty easily in our own gym.  Don't like how we match up against that Syracuse zone.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.