collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian in AZ  (Read 12289 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian in AZ
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
Did ya take da pick up wich you to Idaho, a'ina?
How else is he going to get around White Lives Matter Ranch?  Not to mention to-and-from the beer summits?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
I watched the video, I would've killed the lady dead if I was driving.

In your life have you ever ran a red light?  I've been driving legally for more than 40 years and have never ran a red light, but that auto car had no problem doing that.

Another article about another auto crash killing

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/30/tesla-autopilot-was-on-during-deadly-mountain-view-crash/

And the Wall Street Journal has a story on these deaths this a.m.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-uber-deaths-raise-questions-about-the-perils-of-partly-autonomous-driving-1522661400
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:47 AM »
Same old Chicos

Isn't Billy Hoyle a Chicos?     

Why is it insane that we own a car again?  I only use my power drill probably 2 or 3 times a year, should I only rent that considering I use my car at least 4 or 5 times a day.
— Plato

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
Humans are fallible, but machines built by humans can be, too.  The videos I linked, of course humans run red lights also but that didn't stop that car from doing the same thing. 

Weaponized machinery?  Are you saying people use their cars as weapons?

I didn't know you were Chicos using yet another name. I no longer have interest in this discussion since it doesn't meet my requirements of engagement.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »
I didn't know you were Chicos using yet another name. I no longer have interest in this discussion since it doesn't meet my requirements of engagement.

For a few weeks I have asked what a Chicos is, but no one has given me the courtesy of defining it.  Instead I have seen 4 or 5 people labeled as such.  Now you do it.  Ok.
— Plato

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
In your life have you ever ran a red light?  I've been driving legally for more than 40 years and have never ran a red light, but that auto car had no problem doing that.

Another article about another auto crash killing

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/30/tesla-autopilot-was-on-during-deadly-mountain-view-crash/

And the Wall Street Journal has a story on these deaths this a.m.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-uber-deaths-raise-questions-about-the-perils-of-partly-autonomous-driving-1522661400

Purposely? Yes.

Thousands of red lights are run daily. There's municipalities that have massive budgets due to red light cameras.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
For a few weeks I have asked what a Chicos is,
I'm going to munch on my popcorn while I wait for wades to spike that beautiful set
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
I'm going to munch on my popcorn while I wait for wades to spike that beautiful set

Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

If I'm being honest, I push the limits of a yellow/red light every day because where I drive, if you don't, you're more likely to get rear ended than pulled over.

So given my propensity to push said limits, I am sure it is - whatever the opposite of statistically impossible is - that I have ran multiple red lights in my 40 years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
I have accidentally run one red light in my 13 years of driving. Fortunately no one was coming the other way.

I have also been told that I havent stopped long enough at a red light when making a right turn several times.... Fing red light cameras
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
At many, many, MANY Chicago intersections, if you don't turn left just after yellow turns to red, you don't turn. Period.

On more than one occasion, I got caught sitting behind a car - usually with a Wisconsin plate, but not always - through several cycles because the driver refused to turn left just after the change.

On a couple of those occasions, when my beeping didn't result in the car turning, I couldn't take it any more. I got out of my car and tapped on the window of the car sitting at the light. Once it was a man, once a woman. Both times, I politely said a version of: "Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but if you don't turn right after the light turns red, we will sit here all day. That's just the way it is in Chicago."

It worked both times. And yes, I'm aware that I could have been shot either time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Isn't Billy Hoyle a Chicos?     

Why is it insane that we own a car again?  I only use my power drill probably 2 or 3 times a year, should I only rent that considering I use my car at least 4 or 5 times a day.

Your arguments are seriously the worst.

Obviously, no you shouldn't rent your power drill it doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars, and the saving ratio would be minimal.

Christ.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
At many, many, MANY Chicago intersections, if you don't turn left just after yellow turns to red, you don't turn. Period.

On more than one occasion, I got caught sitting behind a car - usually with a Wisconsin plate, but not always - through several cycles because the driver refused to turn left just after the change.

On a couple of those occasions, when my beeping didn't result in the car turning, I couldn't take it any more. I got out of my car and tapped on the window of the car sitting at the light. Once it was a man, once a woman. Both times, I politely said a version of: "Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but if you don't turn right after the light turns red, we will sit here all day. That's just the way it is in Chicago."

It worked both times. And yes, I'm aware that I could have been shot either time.

As a Wisconsinite, this drives me insane.  A tiny bit of my dies every time someone sits through the whole green and when they have a chance, they just sit there.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »
If I'm being honest, I push the limits of a yellow/red light every day because where I drive, if you don't, you're more likely to get rear ended than pulled over.

So given my propensity to push said limits, I am sure it is - whatever the opposite of statistically impossible is - that I have ran multiple red lights in my 40 years.

I'll take "what is absolutely certain?" for $200, Alex!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »

Have you run them in the fashion that was seen on that camera.  I push the lights, too, but that was red for quite some time and the car completely missed it.

Ultimately these cars will be better than human drivers, but they will not be infallible and at times will even miss the most obvious of accidents that humans may have avoided.  I'm thankful that at my age it will not be something I have to worry much about.  My enjoyment in driving will still be there.  The idea of being a kid right now and never having the ability to drive myself in the future feels fundamentally wrong.  No different than pre car days when you would learn to ride a horse and the independence that provided. 
— Plato

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2018, 07:23:46 PM »
For a few weeks I have asked what a Chicos is, but no one has given me the courtesy of defining it.  Instead I have seen 4 or 5 people labeled as such.  Now you do it.  Ok.

!! I'm so glad I checked scoop today. Never change, Cheeks, never change (though none of us are worried you will).

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »
Your arguments are seriously the worst.

Obviously, no you shouldn't rent your power drill it doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars, and the saving ratio would be minimal.

Christ.

Weren't you the one arguing earlier that MU's season was done, wouldn't even get into the NIT.  I might say the same about your arguments related to basketball.   ;)

I don't think it is crazy that we own our cars since there is no other current way of doing business.  In a few years that will change, but there will still be a large portion of the country, especially in rural America that needs vehicles at the ready.  It provides independence, reliability, safety and the idea that you own and take care of the asset.  For a more urban, younger population is makes sense.   

Do you know how long it takes for an ambulance to get to some rural places?  35 to 45 minutes in some parts. People load their loved ones in the car and get them to the hospital themselves.  Maybe it is my age, but I like the idea of knowing my car is at the ready on my time, not having to wait for someone else's car to arrive and deal with whatever has been going on in that vehicle in the past.  It isn't crazy at all to own a vehicle.  If people want to share cars, that is fine, too.  It works to a small degree in places like Seattle.  Bike sharing works also, but mostly in urban dense environments and for people that don't want or can't afford a vehicle themselves along with the upkeep (gas, insurance, maintenance).  If that fits your life, then go for it but it won't be for everyone.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
Purposely? Yes.

Thousands of red lights are run daily. There's municipalities that have massive budgets due to red light cameras.

I had red that some municipalities were being questioned on the purpose.  Locally here there was an article a few months back. Depends if you are in the city or the burbs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-red-light-cameras-suburbs-20180105-story.html

— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:22 AM »
As a Wisconsinite, this drives me insane.  A tiny bit of my dies every time someone sits through the whole green and when they have a chance, they just sit there.

I wonder if a driverless car would just sit at those lights and never turn. Cycle after cycle after cycle.

That would be fun!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »

That hurts, Mike.

I don't know how that could happen when we are always driving in the center lane.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2018, 05:39:13 AM »
Weren't you the one arguing earlier that MU's season was done, wouldn't even get into the NIT.  I might say the same about your arguments related to basketball.   ;)

I don't think it is crazy that we own our cars since there is no other current way of doing business.  In a few years that will change, but there will still be a large portion of the country, especially in rural America that needs vehicles at the ready.  It provides independence, reliability, safety and the idea that you own and take care of the asset.  For a more urban, younger population is makes sense.   

Do you know how long it takes for an ambulance to get to some rural places?  35 to 45 minutes in some parts. People load their loved ones in the car and get them to the hospital themselves.  Maybe it is my age, but I like the idea of knowing my car is at the ready on my time, not having to wait for someone else's car to arrive and deal with whatever has been going on in that vehicle in the past.  It isn't crazy at all to own a vehicle.  If people want to share cars, that is fine, too.  It works to a small degree in places like Seattle.  Bike sharing works also, but mostly in urban dense environments and for people that don't want or can't afford a vehicle themselves along with the upkeep (gas, insurance, maintenance).  If that fits your life, then go for it but it won't be for everyone.

Your premise is naive.  There is no reason an autonomous car company wouldn't function in rural America.  Additionally, it IS your age.  If you can't wait 5-10 minutes or plan 5-10 minutes ahead of time (using your phone of course) when you will need a ride, then maybe its time to book a room in the old folks home.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »
If you can't wait 5-10 minutes or plan 5-10 minutes ahead of time (using your phone of course) when you will need a ride, then maybe its time to book a room in the old folks home.

Disagree completely.  Impatience knows no age group.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
Disagree completely.  Impatience knows no age group.

Sorry. In too much of a hurry to read this tripe.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »

I grew up and lived almost 30 years total in WI and have now been in MN for 20 years.

In all my years of living in WI, I can't recall that ever happening. But since I have been in MN, I see cars with MN plates doing that all the time.

Not saying you're wrong. I just find it interesting that I've only seen it since leaving WI.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
In Texas,  they are never taught that you can pull into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn. They stay behind the crosswalk and as a result often get stuck for several cycles on busy streets. Drives me up a wall. But the nice bonus is that Texan passengers in my car often scream and fresh out when I pull into the intersection
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.