Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojos biggest wins?  (Read 12797 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Wojos biggest wins?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »
Yeah I don't know.  Maybe the 70 year old UW fan crowd doesn't look at MU as a big game, but all of my friends (and UW family) definitely consider it a big game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
Yeah I don't know.  Maybe the 70 year old UW fan crowd doesn't look at MU as a big game, but all of my friends (and UW family) definitely consider it a big game.

The UW board has a 100+ comment thread about how much they really don't care about Marquette rivalry. But I'm sure that's something they do for every other team they play, just a totally normal game, nothing special at all.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2018, 04:09:28 PM »
I would like to amplify these two comments, having been around this rivalry for around 50 years as well. UW has no natural football rivals. They do have "big " games. Big in the sense they are against a  well known rival (Michigan, MSU, OSU etc) and the game is at home. Those opponents do not look at UW football the same way though, rather just as another tough conference opponent. The same  circumstance holds true for UW basketball. So the emphasis in their school is on these "big" games. 

I actually think this is part of the problem from the UW perspective.  As much as they’d like, they’ll never be the true rivals of any of the traditional powers in the Big Ten, since those schools all have other closer/more natural rivals.  In that sense, they have a bit of the ‘little brother’ mentality vis-à-vis OSU/Mich/MSU/IU in that no matter how good they are, they’ll never be treated as the true rival of any of the programs.  But they want to be.  Right or wrong, that’s who they view as their peer institutions.  Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa would all be more likely to be natural rivals, but none have had enough sustained success for UW to look up to or consider them on equal footing, so I think they currently downplay those rivalries.  Same with us.

If the script flips and MU takes over the top perch in Wisconsin in terms of recent national success in basketball, I think it’d be a different question.