collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thank God for Crean's Donation!  (Read 43519 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Thank God for Crean's Donation!
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
If you think 2 Sweet Sixteens in 6 years is all Crean has accomplished at IU, then you don't understand the situation Crean inherited...
Of course we understand. How could we not when you consider the jackass brings it up at every opportunity?

By the way, there seems to be a lot of experts around here concerning the "IU faithful." I do not consider myself an insider, but I know at least half a dozen diehard Hoosier fans and not a single one can stand they guy. I really think its only Marquette fans who can't admit they've been wrong all along who continue to defend and act like we are all simply jilted (which is a riot).

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Of course we understand. How could we not when you consider the jackass brings it up at every opportunity?

By the way, there seems to be a lot of experts around here concerning the "IU faithful." I do not consider myself an insider, but I know at least half a dozen diehard Hoosier fans and not a single one can stand they guy. I really think its only Marquette fans who can't admit they've been wrong all along who continue to defend and act like we are all simply jilted (which is a riot).

I have similar anecdotal evidence that says otherwise. My boss, another co-worker, and a couple friends are "IU faithful", and they all speak highly of Crean. They are happy to have IU back in the national spotlight, Big Ten contenders, #1 ranking, top 10 recruiting classes, and above all else a clean program.

That said, both of us can only cite anecdotal evidence. If you can somehow show me a mass movement against Crean, I would concede. My guess is that you won't find it, because it doesn't exist.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Nah, I'm a long time reader but new poster. On most issues I think he is a douche but I actually agree with Chicos on the Crean issue.

For Chicos, that is the only issue.

EDIT: OK, that's not entirely fair. I actually do appreciate his insight on the TV stuff, especially with this Fox deal.

Crean is just the majority of posts  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:41:56 PM by Victor McCormick »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
I have similar anecdotal evidence that says otherwise. My boss, another co-worker, and a couple friends are "IU faithful", and they all speak highly of Crean. They are happy to have IU back in the national spotlight, Big Ten contenders, #1 ranking, top 10 recruiting classes, and above all else a clean program.

That said, both of us can only cite anecdotal evidence. If you can somehow show me a mass movement against Crean, I would concede. My guess is that you won't find it, because it doesn't exist.

I know both kinds of IU fans (they run about 40-60 on him).  Until late March the 40% who liked him thought we were jilted lovers when we said it just wouldn't happen (3rd weekend).  Now that 40% crowd is shrinking.  MU continuing to rise sans TC is not helping his cause.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »

"I don't understand how my guy didn't win the election, every single person I know voted for him"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
For Chicos, that is the only issue.

EDIT: OK, that's not entirely fair. I actually do appreciate his insight on the TV stuff, especially with this Fox deal.

Crean is just the majority of posts  ;)

It's not even a small minority of my posts.....hyperbole on your part at its best.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
Good point. And an Indiana alum/fan would NEVER claim to be from Purdue.

Goes without saying, unless you went to both schools....I actually know a guy at work that did that (a bunch that went to USC and UCLA, too).  In your world it isn't possible for someone to attend UCLA and USC, yet I have 2 folks on my team alone that did that very thing and can think of at least 10 others at the office. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
If you think 2 Sweet Sixteens in 6 years and nothing beyond that is in good shape and highly regarded by the IU faithful, then yeah, you're right.

2 Sweet 16's, a Big Ten title (first in 23 years), another top 10 recruiting class coming in, program cleaned up, academic integrity restored to one proud program, etc. 

If you think that it's just 2 Sweet 16's, then yeah you're right.   ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »
His quick finish last season was noted...

So was the Big Ten title and sweep of MeatChicken and MSU.   ;) 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »
Chicos....back with a vengeance.  ;D

Welcome back hoopachiceagle.

Who needs another beer?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2013, 11:22:29 PM »
2 Sweet 16's, a Big Ten title (first in 23 years), another top 10 recruiting class coming in, program cleaned up, academic integrity restored to one proud program, etc. 

If you think that it's just 2 Sweet 16's, then yeah you're right.   ::)

You're further proving my point.  All these top 10 classes, the far and away favorite going into the season to win a National Championship, a regular season Big Ten championship, and the best you can do is Sweet 16?  While the school you had "reached your ceiling" at is achieving greater things/has had a better season every single one of those 6 years (this part will not matter to IU fans/administration, just pointing this little fact out)?  Yikes.

So you think Indiana fans will be happy if Tom Crean's best year in the next 4 years is a conference title and a Sweet 16?  Making that a total of 10 years, I wouldn't be happy with that as a Marquette fan, and Marquette is not on the same tier as Indiana is as a program.  If that's what he accomplishes there, he will not be making it to year 10.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
This thread means nothing to me besides entertainment but Crean has been at Indiana 5 seasons, not 6

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
You're further proving my point.  All these top 10 classes, the far and away favorite going into the season to win a National Championship, a regular season Big Ten championship, and the best you can do is Sweet 16?  While the school you had "reached your ceiling" at is achieving greater things/has had a better season every single one of those 6 years (this part will not matter to IU fans/administration, just pointing this little fact out)?  Yikes.

So you think Indiana fans will be happy if Tom Crean's best year in the next 4 years is a conference title and a Sweet 16?  Making that a total of 10 years, I wouldn't be happy with that as a Marquette fan, and Marquette is not on the same tier as Indiana is as a program.  If that's what he accomplishes there, he will not be making it to year 10.

Posts like these are why it's hard for some of us to take the Crean haters seriously.

"All these top 10 classes": Try one in the past four years.

"Far and away favorite... to win National Championship": Hyperbole at best. In today's college bball there is rarely a far and away favorite, and even if there is, it's still extremely difficult for any team to meet that expectation.

"While the school you had "reached your ceiling" at is achieving greater things/has had a better season every single one of those 6 years": Not a fair comparison considering what Crean left behind at MU (3 amigos, Hayward), and what he inherited at IU (a few scholarship players and a bunch of walk ons). It's also arguable whether IU or MU had a better season last year.

"So you think Indiana fans will be happy if Tom Crean's best year in the next 4 years is a conference title and a Sweet 16?":  No, and I'm not sure anyone is arguing that. However, based on how he brought the program back from despair, I would bet he does see year 10 in that scenario.

You, and many others are so eager to see Crean fail that you play fast and loose with the facts. Tom Crean was a successful coach at MU, and thus far he has been successful at IU. I don't think that is really debatable.

I, like many others, appreciate what Crean did for our program. I was unhappy when he left for IU, and I was concerned that our program would take a step back. That said, I am now happy that he left, and I wouldn't trade Buzz for Crean at this point. If nothing else, we should all appreciate the fact that Crean had the sense to bring Buzz to MU, which put him in position to take the head job when Crean left.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »
So was the Big Ten title and sweep of MeatChicken and MSU.   ;) 

When is he hanging the banners for the two sweeps?

Death on call

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2013, 08:26:11 AM »
If you think 2 Sweet Sixteens in 6 years and nothing beyond that is in good shape and highly regarded by the IU faithful, then yeah, you're right.

Crean inherited the worst situation in college basketball, potentially in history.  He had 1 returning player who was  WALK ONNN his first year.  He won the big ten this year and fell short in the tourney because they came up against a terrible matchup, who also suffocated MU by the way.  They fact that you think he has not accomplished much tells me you have very little knowledge of college basketball.  Grow up Crean moved onto a Blueblood program where he is lined up to have years of success.  Not to mention he left MU with the cupboard as full as possible with the big three as seniors and lazar as a junior.  Coaches leave places all the time, its time for you to stop being bitter.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
I know both kinds of IU fans (they run about 40-60 on him).  Until late March the 40% who liked him thought we were jilted lovers when we said it just wouldn't happen (3rd weekend).  Now that 40% crowd is shrinking.  MU continuing to rise sans TC is not helping his cause.   

I grew up a huge MU fan and went to Indiana, graduated in 2010.  THERE IS NO WAY 40% of people want Crean out.  He has had 3 straight top 10 recruiting classes and two straight top 5. The only people who see him as this evil jackass are living in the city of milwaukee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »

Doesn't prove your point at all, in fact it does the opposite.  Do I think they will be happy in 4 years with those results, probably not.  That's not what you were talking about...you were talking about the initial years, not the next 4 years.  So why are you now moving the goal posts?

You were the one that talked about what had been accomplished, and you left a ton of stuff out.  Nothing about the future, now you want to change the argument to the future....big difference.

Decide what it is you want to talk about....stick to it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »
Doesn't prove your point at all, in fact it does the opposite.  Do I think they will be happy in 4 years with those results, probably not.  That's not what you were talking about...you were talking about the initial years, not the next 4 years.  So why are you now moving the goal posts?

You were the one that talked about what had been accomplished, and you left a ton of stuff out.  Nothing about the future, now you want to change the argument to the future....big difference.

Decide what it is you want to talk about....stick to it

QFT

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
Posts like these are why it's hard for some of us to take the Crean haters seriously.

"All these top 10 classes": Try one in the past four years.

"Far and away favorite... to win National Championship": Hyperbole at best. In today's college bball there is rarely a far and away favorite, and even if there is, it's still extremely difficult for any team to meet that expectation.

"While the school you had "reached your ceiling" at is achieving greater things/has had a better season every single one of those 6 years": Not a fair comparison considering what Crean left behind at MU (3 amigos, Hayward), and what he inherited at IU (a few scholarship players and a bunch of walk ons). It's also arguable whether IU or MU had a better season last year.

"So you think Indiana fans will be happy if Tom Crean's best year in the next 4 years is a conference title and a Sweet 16?":  No, and I'm not sure anyone is arguing that. However, based on how he brought the program back from despair, I would bet he does see year 10 in that scenario.

You, and many others are so eager to see Crean fail that you play fast and loose with the facts. Tom Crean was a successful coach at MU, and thus far he has been successful at IU. I don't think that is really debatable.

I, like many others, appreciate what Crean did for our program. I was unhappy when he left for IU, and I was concerned that our program would take a step back. That said, I am now happy that he left, and I wouldn't trade Buzz for Crean at this point. If nothing else, we should all appreciate the fact that Crean had the sense to bring Buzz to MU, which put him in position to take the head job when Crean left.

Well said, so many fun flaws with his comments.

One, he has been there 5 years, not 6.

Talks about all these top 10 classes as if there were 5 of them, hardly.  I believe there have been two that actually got to campus and they have gone to a Sweet 16 and a Big Ten title with them.  A third arrives on campus this year.

Two, they weren't the favorite, let alone the overwhelming favorite.  The odds based on Vegas had Louisville winning it all, so only in his mind were they the overwhelming favorite...pretty funny.  Louisville at 9 to 2 was the favorite.  There was no OVERWHELMING favorite as a bunch of teams were clustered after Louisville at 7 to 1 and 8 to 1 (which, by the way, none of the four teams that were 7 or 8-to-1 even made the Final Four).

This is especially true in a one and done tournament.  We have people here predicting the Heat would win the title 10 times out of 10 and they get best of 7 series and they are needing everything in their bag of tricks to make it happen, and they still might not.

He starts off discussion about what few accomplishments he's had, now he pivots to make it a future state article after being show he actually had accomplished a lot.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:06:41 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »
When is he hanging the banners for the two sweeps?

Just hanging a Big Ten championship banner....how long before Meatchicken has to pull their banner down again and roll it up into the archives? 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Goes without saying, unless you went to both schools....I actually know a guy at work that did that (a bunch that went to USC and UCLA, too).  In your world it isn't possible for someone to attend UCLA and USC, yet I have 2 folks on my team alone that did that very thing and can think of at least 10 others at the office. 

I don't think anyone would suggest it's not possible to attend UCLA and USC, IU and Purdue, USC and Notre Dame (I have a friend with that profile) or any other combination of schools. It's the idea of rooting for both teams in a heated rivalry that's downright odd.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
I grew up a huge MU fan and went to Indiana, graduated in 2010.  THERE IS NO WAY 40% of people want Crean out.  He has had 3 straight top 10 recruiting classes and two straight top 5. The only people who see him as this evil jackass are living in the city of milwaukee.

Yep.

I live in Indiana and have a lot of friends who are IU fans and they are very happy with Crean.

However if he doesn't get further along in the tournament over the next five years, I am pretty sure those feelings will change.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »

I also know both kinds of IU fans. The more casual ones love him and think he saved the program. The ones who follow things more closely are often embarrassed by his behavior and see serious limitations in his coaching abilities. Similar to how MU fans felt by year 6.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
Well said, so many fun flaws with his comments.

Two, they weren't the favorite, let alone the overwhelming favorite.  The odds based on Vegas had Louisville winning it all, so only in his mind were they the overwhelming favorite...pretty funny.  Louisville at 9 to 2 was the favorite.  There was no OVERWHELMING favorite as a bunch of teams were clustered after Louisville at 7 to 1 and 8 to 1 (which, by the way, none of the four teams that were 7 or 8-to-1 even made the Final Four).

You're both a little bit right and a little bit wrong. Indiana was the favorite to win the NC entering (and for most of) the season. Louisville became the ever so slight favorite entering the tournament with their strong play down the stretch. IU was not, however, in a cluster of teams at 7-1 or 8-1 behind Louisville. They were clearly the 2nd favorite at 5-1 (behind the Cards at 9-2). Nate Silver also gave a slight edge to 'Ville, but it was close to a statistical tie. With both Vegas and Silver, the gap between Louisville and Indiana was much smaller that the one between Indiana and whoever was #3.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
The F*uck You handshakes are embarrassing enough, but the psychotic behavior Too Tan Tommy exhibited following the Michigan game is a very poor expression of his total fabric. His AD should have publically reprimanded him. Won't be much longer before the IU faithful have heard enough of his hollow rhetoric and pass judgment on this used car salesman, who calls himself, Coach.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback