[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: James not on Wooden Award midseason list  (Read 2527 times)

HarveysWallbangers

James not on Wooden Award midseason list
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
FWIW. Pretty sure he was on the preseason list

http://woodenaward.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012608aaa.html

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
Re: James not on Wooden Award midseason list
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
With a performance like tonight's I wonder why¿

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
I just don't see too much wrong with DJ's play so far this season. He's the least of our problems. I think he's had a great season for the most part. If MU had a aircraft carrier down low James would look even better this year.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »

before i even clicked on this i knew the response... as bill walton would say 'its showww shaddd' how quickly some fans turn on guys that have made this team successful

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »
James has had a good season, but the injury has slowed down his progress. Tonight, they are saying he was elbowed in the gut and may have led to his 6 min of PT in the 1h.  He was very aggressive on defense in 2H

James also had 4 assists and no TO in only 20 min of play.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

reesiecup210

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:20 PM »

before i even clicked on this i knew the response... as bill walton would say 'its showww shaddd' how quickly some fans turn on guys that have made this team successful

I hate Bill Walton and his hippie ways, but I definitely agree with you. DJ has shown some maturity this year. He's been an integral part of our team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Not ripping on DJ at all...he's had a great season and has greatly improved from last year (mainly because his decision making is greatly improved, especially the shot selection), but I can see why he's not on the list and it's just because there are that many great players in college this year.  If you look at that list, all of those guys are absolute studs...doesn't mean that DJ's a bad player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
agree - I think Djames is a 4 year player and he will benefit from a degree.  I am sure he will have some years in the Pros, but not dwade years.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
Neek and the rest of the team have all struggled for the most part the past few games. Hopefully they can get back on track this weekend. It will be a tough test and they will need to show that they are capable of winning on the road. Other than against DePaul, his shooting percentage has been down and his overall numbers have not been as good as they were early on in the season and the first couple of home conference games. We are in a slump as a team. The sooner everyone gets out of it, the better. We'll need more than two or three people to show up on Saturday if we want a win.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
every player has there good games and bad games, tonight was a bad one.  but in comparison to last season, I have been impressed with his performance.  He has calmed down and not tried to take the game into his control.  Crean has done an excellent job of keeping him calm and not trying to do too much.  The 4 losses, a bad performance tonight, and the injury have not helped his chances, but overall he is a better player this year.  I hope to see him return to his groove against Cincy and finish the season on a strong note.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
I for one was glad to see DJ get Wesley the ball in the closing minutes. He knew who had the hot hand and got the ball to him. Nailed two big threes down the stretch that helped seal it.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:18 PM »
DJ's not on the list because he doesn't deserve to be on the list.  It brings up a point that I've wanted to make since they got here and I started reading all all the blather about DJ, Jerel, Wes and the time they'd put in at MU before heading to the NBA.  Remember when DJ was going to bolt after his freshman year?  There has been talk here of Jerel going after his junior year.  I'd be surprised if any of them ever play in the NBA.  And if you were to ask me which one had the best shot I'd say Matthews, and he has to go some to be better than his old man.

I'm not talking about tonight's game or even a run of recent games.  None of them can shoot well enough.  Mathews at least has NBA size and strength.  Maybe his shot can come with practice.  I like his work in traffic under the basket too.

This is not to demean their efforts since arriving on campus and in contributing to the program's renaissance.  They've been great.  But an early out to the pros?  I hope they are getting better counsel than that.  They are a four year players.

D-Wade and Doc Rivers are the two MU studs I remember leaving school early.  Look at the list of career scoring leaders.  I don't want to read the whine that I'm turning on these guys after a bad run (but it will appear anyway.)  What I'm saying has been true since the three amigos got here.  Butch Lee stayed for four years.  Tony Smith too.  Michael Wilson was a beast of a player, drafted but never stuck.  Cordell Henry, Aaron Hutchins, Tony Miller, Lloyd Walton; how much better is DJ than any of them?  He has started since his freshman campaign.  None of them did.  I don't think DJ could hold a candle to Dean Meminger.

I've kept the conversation to guards, kinda in the Marquette tradition.  Hayward has a chance to have an Earl Tatum like career.  The kid coming from Alabama seems to be the real deal too.  I can't forget that Bo Ellis was a pro, but a much more prominent college player and before that a can't miss prep.

Listen, I don't know a bigger MU rah-rah than me.  Ask my daughter who is there now.  Ask my friends who have heard my Marquette shtick ad nauseum since the early 70s.  These guys are great.  And the program's direction is wonderful.  But this site and others often gets myopic when viewing our current heroes...Warriors if you will.

I guess that's OK.  You guys will have your day too someday.  I just picked today for mine.

feedback