'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bruce Pearl  (Read 5487 times)

SalsaMan

• Starter
Bruce Pearl
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

fiskadoro

• Walk-On
Re: Bruce Pearl
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
 He was really righteous long ago when he turned Illinois in over Deon Thomas. Self-styled crusader... and like many such crusaders, it seems he lived in a glass house.

Is there any university more scandal ridden than Tennessee? Football, basketball... both a hot mess.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
"yet the father of star freshman forward Tobias Harris said the situation won’t impact his son."

What the hell else can you say when your kid is already enrolled there.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
"yet the father of star freshman forward Tobias Harris said the situation won’t impact his son."

What the hell else can you say when your kid is already enrolled there.

Has Tim Maymon weighed in on the Pearl matter?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
What the heck did you expect. Bruce may be decked out in hideous orange and white, but his players are thugs and his school is on par with North Division High School. Oops, didn't mean to insult North Division

Q. Why did the Knoxville police find four Tennessee basketball players armed to the gills?

A. To protect them and their belongings from roving bands of UT football playing theives.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
He was really righteous long ago when he turned Illinois in over Deon Thomas. Self-styled crusader... and like many such crusaders, it seems he lived in a glass house.

Is there any university more scandal ridden than Tennessee? Football, basketball... both a hot mess.

probably only USC

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
Wisconsin has been on probation 7 x's.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:46 PM »
Wow, Adonis Thomas just basically said he did not want to involve himself with Bruce Pearl's program because of the recent "uncertainty".   On ESPNU minutes ago.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Wow, Adonis Thomas just basically said he did not want to involve himself with Bruce Pearl's program because of the recent "uncertainty".   On ESPNU minutes ago.

I hope that reverberates loudly and widely in the CBB world and prep ranks.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »

Translation:
The money was better at Memphis.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »

Translation:
The money was better at Memphis.

I'll bet.

Now that the NCAA is sniffing around and his ex-wife is painting nails, Pearl's likely had to skimp on his payouts.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
As I said before, all programs cheat. Btw, anyone know who was paying the rent for Chones and Lackey's apartment at their Catholic Knights crib back in the day?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:02:42 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »

Was he introduced to the photos of Pearl in an orange skin suit? That would put me off of Bruce's "Program"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:54 AM »
As I said before, all programs cheat. Btw, anyone know who was paying the rent for Chones and Lackey's apartment at their Catholic Knights crib back in the day?

Not all programs, but certainly many.  Players are given a room and board stipend which they can use on housing of their choosing.  Those were the old rules at least.  That being said, I have no doubts that certain things have happened at UW, MU, etc

Bruce has extra scrutiny for obvious reasons which are self apparent to everyone

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »

I suspect most programs run afoul of often silly and anachronistic NCAA rules on occasion, but some are a little more blatant and cavalier about it than others. Bruce Pearl's is one of those programs, it seems.
Funny for a guy who first popped up on the national scene trying to paint himself as a crusader against recruiting shenanigans.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Funny for a guy who first popped up on the national scene trying to paint himself as a crusader against recruiting shenanigans.

If one presumes that Pearl was sincerely outraged by what was happening at Illinois. On the other hand, he could have been a self-serving, opportunistic hypocrite. Me thinks the latter.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Just to have the record straight, the NCAA didn't find any violations related to Deon Thomas.  The investigation led to other problems that resulted in a lack of institutional control finding, but Deon Thomas was never mentioned.  So to say he turned Illinois in over the Deon Thomas affair is totally unfair to the player.
Also remember that Pearl engaged in illegal recordings.  His tenure at Tennessee speaks for itself.  Everytime I saw pictures of him cavorting with coeds, I wanted to throw up.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »

Not all programs, but certainly many.  Players are given a room and board stipend which they can use on housing of their choosing.  Those were the old rules at least.  That being said, I have no doubts that certain things have happened at UW, MU, etc

Bruce has extra scrutiny for obvious reasons which are self apparent to everyone

There are different levels to cheating. Flat out very dirty cheating and in a brazen way vs maybe skirting the edges of the rules. Plus, whether it be football or basketball, some coaches and their universities are much more willing to take on multiple high character and academic risks simply if those athletes can perform well on the court/field.

Then if for awhile those type of kids manage to avoid trouble, little to no scrutiny is focused on what kind of athletes are being admitted to a program, but eventually trouble will come and it can come in waves when a coach/university are so willing to take on very risky recruits in the all our pursuit of winning. You can only play with fire so long before getting burned.