'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Making sense of the Maymon situation  (Read 3956 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Making sense of the Maymon situation
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
Making sense of the Maymon situation

To be quite honest, I don't even know if it's possible to accomplish what the headline states from an MU point of view.

On the surface, it's similar to what Trevor Mbakwe pulled on Buzz Williams last year, when he told his coach he was quitting the team just days prior to the start of the fall semester. But the timing of Jeronne Maymon's decision yesterday to walk out on Williams and his MU teammates is probably going to wind up being much more costly.

In the case of Mbakwe, Williams and his staff were more than two months away from starting the season. But with Maymon pulling his disappearing act 10 games into the season, he's leaving a Golden Eagles squad already shorthanded by injury in dire straits a little more two weeks away from the start of the Big East season.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/79312287.html

bs4173

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Making sense of the Maymon situation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
Cannot wait for the Maymon press conference. More importantly, I cannot wait to hear what Buzz has to say...too bad we have to wait until Thursday for that.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
Another excellent job by Todd. The money line as I see it...

As far as the playing time is concerned, with Hayward and Butler ahead of him, Maymon's opportunities were going to be limited from the start since Williams clearly didn't see him playing shooting guard. Whether he would have gotten an opportunity to play it next season remained to be seen, but the chances were slim with Vander Blue (we'll get to him a little later), Jamail Jones and Reggie Smith joining the fold.

Both the elder and junior Maymons could read the writing in the wall. With the guys already here and coming here, he was going to have to make his living under the basket. I don't think he wants to do that, nor do I think he is necessarily capable of it (especially if he is unwilling to try), and he is certainly not capable of playing the 2 or 3 position in the Big East ahead of the other guys that will be here.

Seems as though he was on a one way street to Odd Man Out Town. If he's unwilling to play PF, there is simply going to be no place for him to play.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:39:55 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
Rosiak did a good job. He seemed to put forward that this was a quitting and not a dismissal. He also seemed to put the wood to Maymon a bit by bringing up his work ethic. Finally, he also put Buzz' toes to the fire by bringing up Monterale Clark.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Ok, but is there any reason to do it now as opposed to this summer?  Wouldn't it make the most sense to wait?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
Cannot wait for the Maymon press conference. More importantly, I cannot wait to hear what Buzz has to say...too bad we have to wait until Thursday for that.

I can almost guarantee you will not hear from Maymon until after you hear from Buzz. Beyond that, you aren't going to hear much from Buzz anyway...

"We gave him every opportunity and he made a decision he thought was best for him."
"We enjoyed having him here."
"He was a real hard worker."
"We're sorry to see him go, and I told him if he ever needs anything he can call me, anytime, day or night."

As far as what Maymon will say, more likely along the lines of...

"We were misled somewhat during the recruiting process."
"It just wasn't the right system for Jeronne."
"They weren't using him in the right way."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »
Ok, but is there any reason to do it now as opposed to this summer?  Wouldn't it make the most sense to wait?

I would make more sense to wait but my guess is Maymon made an emotional decision now that he does not want to play for MU in the future and Buzz made a decision that if Maymon does not want to be at MU after this year that it would be best to let him go now.  Just a thought.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
Good summary by Rosiak.  I guess given what his expectations were, that he would be starting and playing 25-30 minutes at the 2-4 positions, both Buzz and the Maymons misjudged and overestimated his abilities.  Circumstances called for him playing the 4-5, but the notion Tim Maymon had of another team trying to find its best defender for the various positions he could play is a joke.  If he had the talent from the onset and didn't need time to develop he would have been capable of averaging more than 4 points and 4.2 rebounds even playing out of position.  Lazar only put up 6.6 and 3.6 after a whole season's work as a freshman instead of 9 games, and it would be surprising if Maymon ever comes close to being the kind of player Lazar is.  I can say I'm more comfortable with us being a program that develops players rather than promising to play freshmen that aren't ready.  Much rather we bring players in who want to start as juniors and seniors rather than think they're entitled to a starting spot as a freshman even if they aren't good enough to beat out the juniors and seniors.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
The best guess here is Maymon's decision to leave, ill-timed or not, is centered around two things: him playing out of position, and him playing an average of 16.3 minutes per game.

Dear god.  How dare Todd "guess" when he could wait for facts to surface.  Didn't he get the memo that it's dangerous to speculate in the open ::)

Todd - if you're out there - thanks for the update.

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
While the rest of you may be correct, let's not throw anyone under the bus at least for now.  Wait until the emotions have calmed down, leave some room for an Acker-style return, and/or when the facts come out.

Go Warriors!

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Making sense of the Maymon situation
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
Making sense of the Maymon situation

To be quite honest, I don't even know if it's possible to accomplish what the headline states from an MU point of view.

On the surface, it's similar to what Trevor Mbakwe pulled on Buzz Williams last year, when he told his coach he was quitting the team just days prior to the start of the fall semester. But the timing of Jeronne Maymon's decision yesterday to walk out on Williams and his MU teammates is probably going to wind up being much more costly.

In the case of Mbakwe, Williams and his staff were more than two months away from starting the season. But with Maymon pulling his disappearing act 10 games into the season, he's leaving a Golden Eagles squad already shorthanded by injury in dire straits a little more than two weeks away from the start of the Big East season.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/79312287.html

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
As far as the waiting goes, if he indeed is transferring to another D1 school, leaving now gives him an extra half season, as he would likely be eligible January 2011.

That said, still strikes me somewhat as a hasty decision.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
Dear god.  How dare Todd "guess" when he could wait for facts to surface.  Didn't he get the memo that it's dangerous to speculate in the open ::)

Todd - if you're out there - thanks for the update.

Todd's providing an educated opinion, not a wild shot in the dark about A. Jeronne's family B. Jerrone's academics C. effort/work ethic.

Todd has been at a lot of practices and all of the games. He has a much different viewpoint than a random anonymous fan positing on an internet site.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that 75% of this board is speculation and guessing(myself included), but in cases dealing with a player's life decisions, it would be nice if people would use a little discretion.

We're not discussing Jeronne's decision to pass or shoot, we're discussing his choice to leave MU. It's a little different.

I'm sure a lot of people are out there emailing with their friends about this topic and speculating wildly. I don't think that hurts anybody. But, when conversations like that are put up on electronic billboard like this one, it can get a little dicey (see Blue, Vander).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Uhh .. while I appreciate Todd's effort .. all it did was summarize the flotsam and jetsam and didn't have any answers to move the pile forward.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »
I wonder if JMay would have even made it to those "promised" minutes at the rate he was gaining fouls in games. Just saying...
SS Marquette