* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Open Thread  (Read 52213 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: NCAA Tournament Open Thread
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »
Izzo handled the loser interview well. He will be back.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:19 PM »
Ahh, they are praying. Cut the feed! Cut the feed!!

Lol I thought the same thing.  All this hype waiting for Beard to get to the locker room for like 10 minutes.  First thing they do is pray so they cut back to the desk, awkward.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
wonder who the refs will be for the championship
Wymer and Stephens by deduction. Don't know third (Ayers?).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2019, 11:13:20 PM »
Beard giving his best Buzz "ah shucks" impressions in the pressers.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »
Texas Tech plays defense like Wisconsin - foul every possession and dare the refs to call it. They are longer and more athletic so it works well.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2019, 11:29:23 PM »
Texas Tech plays defense like Wisconsin - foul every possession and dare the refs to call it. They are longer and more athletic so it works well.

No they don't.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2019, 11:31:14 PM »
What’s impressive about Texas tech is they did not start one player who was a top 100 recruit. Of the eight players who played, only 1 was ranked in the top 100.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2019, 11:35:58 PM »
Mooney is damn good.  Another Chicago suburban kid passed over (ND Prep).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »
Beard giving his best Buzz "ah shucks" impressions in the pressers.

Buzz’s interview the other day in studio at A&M was filled with that...he adopted a new accent and everything. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2019, 12:14:03 AM »
Mooney is damn good.  Another Chicago suburban kid passed over (ND Prep).

A lot of people passed him over if he ended up at the Air Force Academy then a newly D1 South Dakota. This board would have melted down if a guy with a 59 from ESPN were signed by a Wojo. Kevin Menard probably had a higher ranking. Credit Mooney for his hard work leading to his development and the coaches at USD and TTU for cultivating his talent.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/171278/matt-mooney

As for when he transferred:

Q: You mentioned offers you have. Are you able to talk about that at all — some of the schools that have offered you scholarships, at this point?

A: Yeah. Right now, schools I'm going to take visits to that want me and have offered me would be University of South Dakota, Colgate, Penn in the Ivy League, University of New Hampshire and Louisiana-Lafayette. There's some other schools in the mix, but those are probably the ones I'm narrowing it down to, at this point.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/niles/sports/ct-mgc-matt-mooney-air-force-academy-bullying-tl-0420-20150421-story.html
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:25 AM »
Lol I thought the same thing.  All this hype waiting for Beard to get to the locker room for like 10 minutes.  First thing they do is pray so they cut back to the desk, awkward.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »
A lot of people passed him over if he ended up at the Air Force Academy then a newly D1 South Dakota. This board would have melted down if a guy with a 59 from ESPN were signed by a Wojo. Kevin Menard probably had a higher ranking. Credit Mooney for his hard work leading to his development and the coaches at USD and TTU for cultivating his talent.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/171278/matt-mooney

Q: You mentioned offers you have. Are you able to talk about that at all — some of the schools that have offered you scholarships, at this point?

A: Yeah. Right now, schools I'm going to take visits to that want me and have offered me would be University of South Dakota, Colgate, Penn in the Ivy League, University of New Hampshire and Louisiana-Lafayette. There's some other schools in the mix, but those are probably the ones I'm narrowing it down to, at this point.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/niles/sports/ct-mgc-matt-mooney-air-force-academy-bullying-tl-0420-20150421-story.html

Mooney is Mooney because of Texas Tech. He wouldn't have developed into the player he is now in the Marquette program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2019, 02:07:34 AM »

I keep hearing from some on the board how Wojo is recruiting Chicago. I wouldn’t have minded a graduate transfer Mooney over Joseph C. Yet, we keep getting misses or excuses why not good fits for MU.

I guess Nojel Eastern, Evan Landreaux wouldn’t have been good fits either. Seemed to play good roles for Purdue from the Chicago burbs too. Oh well.  All is good.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2019, 06:38:30 AM »
I keep hearing from some on the board how Wojo is recruiting Chicago. I wouldn’t have minded a graduate transfer Mooney over Joseph C. Yet, we keep getting misses or excuses why not good fits for MU.

I guess Nojel Eastern, Evan Landreaux wouldn’t have been good fits either. Seemed to play good roles for Purdue from the Chicago burbs too. Oh well.  All is good.

Do we know if Wojo tried to get Mooney?  Or the others you mention? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2019, 06:45:27 AM »
Do we know if Wojo tried to get Mooney?  Or the others you mention?

Not Mooney or Boudreaux. Marquette did offer Eastern.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »
Not Mooney or Boudreaux. Marquette did offer Eastern.

Offer vs inquiry

I read some comments here and I believe some posters think our staff stiff arms prospects as a point of amusement.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #466 on: April 07, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
If Wojo can duplicate that, I won’t complain. ;)

Of course we all claim we would say that ... but seriously, getting to the FF so often without winning it, I wonder how that would sit with some of the tougher graders on Scoop.

As for Beard, many (probably most) Scoopers would have said that us hiring somebody with his resume -- only 1 season at a mid-major -- would have "proven" that we can't attract the big boys. They would have ripped Marquette for not hiring an "established" coach. And they would have lamented that he couldn't sign any top-100 recruits.

We're a funny group. We want everything all ways all the time ... and that's understandable, I guess, because that's what fans are. And sure, I include myself in that group. Although I am more optimistic, more patient and less extreme than many, I still very much want to win, and although I back Wojo I do wonder if he'll be able to get us where we all want to go. I think he can but until we take a major step, I won't know he can.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:51:27 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #467 on: April 07, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »
Ahh, they are praying. Cut the feed! Cut the feed!!

I found that funny as well.  "Make it stop!"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #468 on: April 07, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
Offer vs inquiry

I read some comments here and I believe some posters think our staff stiff arms prospects as a point of amusement.

We offered him June 28, 2015. We didn't get him. Numerous sources on Twitter (Scout, Bullseye, Verbal Commits) reported it. Not a big deal either way, but he had an offer and went elsewhere. I wasn't saying it as a point of debate, just clarifying the answer to your question.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #469 on: April 07, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
We offered him June 28, 2015. We didn't get him. Numerous sources on Twitter (Scout, Bullseye, Verbal Commits) reported it. Not a big deal either way, but he had an offer and went elsewhere. I wasn't saying it as a point of debate, just clarifying the answer to your question.

I’m talking about the others

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #470 on: April 07, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
Don't think the other two were offered or inquired about that I remember.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #471 on: April 07, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
I found that funny as well.  "Make it stop!"

I actually found it being respectful. Prayer is something solemn that doesn’t need to be broadcast.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #472 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Mooney is Mooney because of Texas Tech. He wouldn't have developed into the player he is now in the Marquette program.

Um Mooney was one of the top two grad transfers last offseason. If anything, Mooney is Mooney because of South Dakota.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #473 on: April 08, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »
I just discovered I was born on Tony Bennett's 1st birthday.  I'm rooting for Virginia tonight.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #474 on: April 08, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
What was the O/U on number of times the shot clock buzzer sounds?  I think we are at 4 or 5 already