collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Draft  (Read 14420 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »
My guess is that there is back-channeling.  You just aren't hearing about it.  And that Jrue has already agreed to opt-in.  (I feel much more accurate my first point than my second.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
I think Giannis signs the supermax before Thanksgiving.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »
George Hill was their best guard in the playoffs the last two seasons. I love the guy, and am sad to see him go, but this is precisely why you make the deals they did last night.

I also don't think they make these deals without some assurances from 34.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
Here’s the draft pick breakdown of what New Orleans received:

2020 1st
2024 Swap
2025 1st Unprotected
2026 Swap
2027 1st Unprotected

I still admire them going for it, but man that is a truckload for Holiday. Giannis will be in his 30’s by the time the four consecutive swaps/unprotected hit.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »

2020 1st
2024 Swap
2025 1st Unprotected
2026 Swap
2027 1st Unprotected

I still admire them going for it, but man that is a truckload for Holiday. Giannis will be in his 30’s by the time the four consecutive swaps/unprotected hit.

And this ownership will have flipped the team by then too.  But there is no way this franchise is going to regularly compete for NBA titles.  Gotta take your shot when its there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
George Hill was their best guard in the playoffs the last two seasons. I love the guy, and am sad to see him go, but this is precisely why you make the deals they did last night.

I also don't think they make these deals without some assurances from 34.

I love Hill and he was great in the regular season, but he was not very good in the bubble at all.  Looked very disinterested in being there, understandably so.

2020 1st
2024 Swap
2025 1st Unprotected
2026 Swap
2027 1st Unprotected

The Bucks got the #s 42 and 60 picks in Wednesdays draft as well.  That's one way to fill a roster cheaply.

The Bucks have been absolutely terrible at drafting.  They hit the absolute lottery with Giannis, but otherwise their first round drafting has been a complete disaster, and is why they had to throw in so many picks, because they have no assets.  I'm all on board with throwing away draft picks if you're winding up with Thon Maker, Rashad Vaughn, DJ Wilson, and even Donte Divencenzo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »

2020 1st
2024 Swap
2025 1st Unprotected
2026 Swap
2027 1st Unprotected

Assuming Giannis sticks around long term and remains healthy, these picks don't hold a lot of value. It is a lot to give up, but if this is what it takes to keep Giannis in Milwaukee, then it's worth it.
And if at some point the indications are that Giannis wants out, the Bucks can recoup this draft capital  - and I would guess even more - by dealing him.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
Definitely getting some Mr. Irrelevant vibes for Markus’ draft stock with the Bucks now at #60

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
The Bucks have been absolutely terrible at drafting.  They hit the absolute lottery with Giannis, but otherwise their first round drafting has been a complete disaster, and is why they had to throw in so many picks, because they have no assets.  I'm all on board with throwing away draft picks if you're winding up with Thon Maker, Rashad Vaughn, DJ Wilson, and even Donte Divencenzo.

Under Horst, they have really only picked three guys.  2017 - DJ Wilson (bad), Sterling Brown (decent), 2018 - Donte (decent)

Donte is good enough to be trade fodder.  That's what most mid to late first round picks end up being anyway.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
Definitely getting some Mr. Irrelevant vibes for Markus’ draft stock with the Bucks now at #60

I hope so!  I have no idea why I feel this way, but I think he is gone by then, and I think it's closer to the Bucks #42 pick than it is their #60 pick.

Under Horst, they have really only picked three guys.  2017 - DJ Wilson (bad), Sterling Brown (decent), 2018 - Donte (decent)

Donte is good enough to be trade fodder.  That's what most mid to late first round picks end up being anyway.

Agreed.  Donte was a solid pick, and had most of our failed first round picks been what he is the Bucks would've been in much better position to make trades without mortgaging literally everything they have.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
I love Hill and he was great in the regular season, but he was not very good in the bubble at all.  Looked very disinterested in being there, understandably so.

Right, and he was still better than Bled and Donte.

This will also be a pretty big test for Budenholzer... short window to build chemistry with a new roster.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »

Those picks look a little worse when you consider John Collins went two picks after DJ Wilson and Kevin Huerter went two picks after DiVincenzo.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
Those picks look a little worse when you consider John Collins went two picks after DJ Wilson and Kevin Huerter went two picks after DiVincenzo.

Right.  They haven't been perfect by any means, but they haven't been terrible under Horst.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
Assume Holiday re-up’s and agrees to a contract extension. Hypothetically, he’d be looking at conservatively $30 mil per starting in ‘22.

Let’s say it’s an even $30 mil in ‘22. With a Giannis super max and a hypothetical 4 year $70 mil extension for Bogdanovic, the Bucks in ‘22 will have $128 mil committed to 4 players. Brook Lopez will be on an expiring deal that season at $14. That’s five players at $142 mil.

They’d be above the $140 mil tax threshold and filling out the roster would push them past the salary cap apron.

Again, I admire them going all in now, I get it. Their window is two years with this group, and then it can get really ugly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:30 AM »
Assume Holiday re-up’s and agrees to a contract extension. Hypothetically, he’d be looking at conservatively $30 mil per starting in ‘22.

Let’s say it’s an even $30 mil in ‘22. With a Giannis super max and a hypothetical 4 year $70 mil extension for Bogdanovic, the Bucks in ‘22 will have $128 mil committed to 4 players. Brook Lopez will be on an expiring deal that season at $14. That’s five players at $142 mil.

They’d be above the $140 mil tax threshold and filling out the roster would push them past the salary cap apron.

Again, I admire them going all in now, I get it. Their window is two years with this group, and then it can get really ugly.

I really don't see it getting all that ugly.  If Giannis signs the supermax he's here for 6 years (including this one).  Any team with Giannis is going to be a top 4 seed in the East even if you surround him with garbage.  He just plays way, way harder than anyone cares to stop in the regular season.  If he gets tired of shouldering the weight of the franchise by himself just to lose in the 2nd and 3rd round every year, you're getting a heck of a lot more back for him than you gave up for Jrue Holiday.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
I really don't see it getting all that ugly.  If Giannis signs the supermax he's here for 6 years (including this one).  Any team with Giannis is going to be a top 4 seed in the East even if you surround him with garbage.  He just plays way, way harder than anyone cares to stop in the regular season.  If he gets tired of shouldering the weight of the franchise by himself just to lose in the 2nd and 3rd round every year, you're getting a heck of a lot more back for him than you gave up for Jrue Holiday.

He is going to get old.  He takes a lot of abuse

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »

Well, if it gets ugly after 2022, what's a 27-year-old Giannis - with four years of control - worth on the trade market?
My guess is the deal would be at least equal to, and probably better than, what the Pelicans got for AD (i.e. two young starters, multiple unprotected firsts).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »

He'll be 32 by the end of that deal.  Professional athletes do not decline that drastically at that age.  I'll go on record and say he's still a top 5 player in the world at age 32 (obviously barring some catastrophic injury).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Giannis' game is all attack. Lots of eurostepping in traffic, hard fouls, etc.

LeBron developing his perimeter game added years to the back end of his career. I hope Giannis can do the same.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »

League history is rife with top power forwards who remained elite into their early 30s, i.e. Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Kevin Garnett.
You could get unlucky with injuries, but there's no reason to think his play is otherwise going to fall off dramatically once he hits 30.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »

LeBron developing his perimeter game added years to the back end of his career. I hope Giannis can do the same.

This was mostly my point.  And Giannis is far thinner than Lebron... and any of the guys Pak mentioned... except maybe KG

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »

2020 1st
2024 Swap
2025 1st Unprotected
2026 Swap
2027 1st Unprotected

Grooooannnnnn.  I hate the idea of trading unprotected picks, ever, for any reason. And that far into the future is... oof.

Do you really not get Jrue Holiday if you make those picks top three protected? Hell, top one protected? I had thought that was basically the standard now since New Jersey traded their franchise's future for what was left of Boston's championship teams.  If the answer is no, is Jrue Holiday so much the guy that you risk a future phenom (who is currently 12-14 years old) to get him?  I like going for it as much as the next guy, but the unprotected nature of those picks make it hard for me to believe this was the best/only way to do it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
Bucks could probably do worse than adding Jamil Wilson.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »

It's becoming less and less so. Compare his shot map last year to where it was just a couple of years ago.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/giannis-shot-chart-by-season

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
Grooooannnnnn.  I hate the idea of trading unprotected picks, ever, for any reason. And that far into the future is... oof.

Do you really not get Jrue Holiday if you make those picks top three protected? Hell, top one protected? I had thought that was basically the standard now since New Jersey traded their franchise's future for what was left of Boston's championship teams.  If the answer is no, is Jrue Holiday so much the guy that you risk a future phenom (who is currently 12-14 years old) to get him?  I like going for it as much as the next guy, but the unprotected nature of those picks make it hard for me to believe this was the best/only way to do it.

Everyone knew the Bucks had to make a move, so they were going to make them pay.

And by the time the bad part of the trade comes back to haunt the franchise, Horst will be President of the Knicks or something like that.