[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Draft  (Read 14445 times)

wadesworld

• All American
NBA Draft
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »
Who do you have your favorite team taking? And who do you want them taking? Is Markus getting drafted?

I think the Bucks trade their pick, but if they’re making the pick I’d like to see Josh Green or Cole Anthony fall to 24. If they don’t I wouldn’t hate Desmond Bane or Jalen Smith.

I think Markus gets drafted around 50.

If I were at the top of the draft I’d want Avdia or Edwards, and I think Nesmith could be the steal of the draft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
Id honestly prefer Tre Jones over Cole Anthony, especially with the eye to the Bucks potentially keeping Giannis.  Elite defender, calm on the ball, consistent.  Anthony has more upside but he had stretches this year where he was selfish and awful.

I think the Euro prospects are exceptional this year.  Avdjia looks really nice.  Could be a modern, higher upside Detlef Schrempf.  Killian Hayes could be really solid too.  Nice mix of Euro and American influences.  Great size.

Honestly, he gets a bad rap cause of his family, but I think Lamelo Ball's upside is amazing.  I think getting away from Dad in Australia for a year really helped him.  His size is Penny Hardaway-esque for the PG position.  He still needs bit stronger outside shot, but his stroke is way better than Lonzo's

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »
Who do you have your favorite team taking? And who do you want them taking? Is Markus getting drafted?

I think the Bucks trade their pick, but if they’re making the pick I’d like to see Josh Green or Cole Anthony fall to 24. If they don’t I wouldn’t hate Desmond Bane or Jalen Smith.

I think Markus gets drafted around 50.

If I were at the top of the draft I’d want Avdia or Edwards, and I think Nesmith could be the steal of the draft.

I agree Anthony or Bane would be good.

Very late 2nd round for Markus

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »
I agree Anthony or Bane would be good.

Very late 2nd round for Markus

This, I think 50 is a bit optimistic.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »
50 is Atlanta, 51 is the Warriors, 55 is the Nets. All 3 could potentially be interesting spots for an undersized pure shooter.  Steve Nash and D’Antoni in Brooklyn could be intriguing. D’Antoni picked up and coached Chris Clemons in Houston is basically was an inferior version of Markus in college at Campbell. Obviously just pure speculation

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
Would like to see Markus get drafted by a quality organization. He is a hard working good kid who will make the most of the opportunity.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
I'll be waiting by the phone like I do every time the draft rolls around. This is my year, I can feel it.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Would like to see Markus get drafted by a quality organization. He is a hard working good kid who will make the most of the opportunity.

Heat

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
I was hoping Kira Lewis would slip to the Bucks, but his stock shot up to late lottery.

Desmond Bane is my hope if the Bucks keep the pick.

Markus could go anywhere from 45 to undrafted.  2nd round picks are just so unpredictable.

I think we see a lot of trades in the lottery.  There isn't a surefire talent or great fit for Minnesota at #1.  Golden State either trades for a vet or moves down for a shooter.  I think Charlotte wants Wiseman and tries to move up.  Ball worked out for Detroit; they might move up from 7, possibly flipping spots with Golden State.  Atlanta wants to move #6.  Half of the top 10 could change hands.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Heat

Markus and Herro can commiserate about Joey not wanting to play with them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 11:13:56 PM »
I was hoping Kira Lewis would slip to the Bucks, but his stock shot up to late lottery.

Desmond Bane is my hope if the Bucks keep the pick.

Markus could go anywhere from 45 to undrafted.  2nd round picks are just so unpredictable.

I think we see a lot of trades in the lottery.  There isn't a surefire talent or great fit for Minnesota at #1.  Golden State either trades for a vet or moves down for a shooter.  I think Charlotte wants Wiseman and tries to move up.  Ball worked out for Detroit; they might move up from 7, possibly flipping spots with Golden State.  Atlanta wants to move #6.  Half of the top 10 could change hands.

Much talk in Charlotte about the Hornets wanting Wiseman. The beat writer for the Observer, who is very plugged in, says there has been discussion about trading up. But the GM (Kupchak) doesn't want to mortgage the future by giving up numerous draft picks and/or young players, so nothing might happen. It's possible that Wiseman might fall to them anyway. I sure was impressed with him the 2 games I saw him play for Memphis; he even has a chance to develop a 3, like Bosh did. That's who he kind of reminds me of.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 10:35:03 PM »
Jrue Holiday to the Bucks.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 11:48:12 PM »
Much talk in Charlotte about the Hornets wanting Wiseman. The beat writer for the Observer, who is very plugged in, says there has been discussion about trading up. But the GM (Kupchak) doesn't want to mortgage the future by giving up numerous draft picks and/or young players, so nothing might happen. It's possible that Wiseman might fall to them anyway. I sure was impressed with him the 2 games I saw him play for Memphis; he even has a chance to develop a 3, like Bosh did. That's who he kind of reminds me of.

I was at the Oregon game and was not impressed with Wiseman. Most of his stats came after Oregon had taken control. Achuwa was the UM player who impressed me the most that day  Just my viewpoint but it was only one game.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »
Jrue Holiday to the Bucks.

If Giannis stays, this trade is brilliant.

If Giannis leaves,  Milwaukee will be very bad for a long time. Though could be worth it if it results in a championship.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
If Giannis stays, this trade is brilliant.

If Giannis leaves,  Milwaukee will be very bad for a long time. Though could be worth it if it results in a championship.

It’s a terrible trade by the Bucks, no matter what Giannis does.

You have to hope Holiday picks up his player option for ‘21, even if he does, he’ll be gone after two years.

You are all in now if you are the Bucks. Unless they trade Middleton for 20 cents on the dollar, they now have no future assets to make any moves. Even if the three first rounders and two swaps are in the 20’s, this trade and giving up DiVincenzo in the Bogdanovich trade means they have zero flexibility moving forward.

I admire them putting all their chips in, but that was way too much for a 30 year old with a year left on his deal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 01:51:55 AM »
This was a great night and a great deal for the Bucks. The fact of the matter is if Giannis left the Bucks were going to be mediocre and right back to fighting for the 8 seed every year like under Herb Kohl. Their absolute only chance of keeping Giannis (aka staying relevant for any part of the next decade) was to upgrade. To go from a starting backcourt if Bledsoe/Wes (love you but...)/Middleton to Holiday/Bogdonovic/Middleton is a ginormous upgrade. When Bogdonovic and Lopez are your #s 4 and 5 you’re in a really good spot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »
Bucks have a window and that window is now.  Building for 2022-23 is for teams without a superstar.  It may not work.  This isn’t the Jennings/Bogut Bucks.  You go all in. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 07:07:45 AM »
Does the Bucks trade make it more or less likely that Wes Matthews exercises his player option to stay with the Bucks.

I think it is helpful for MU to have Wes on the Bucks.

Also if Giannias signs the max contract, I think the Heat don’t have to hold back anymore and can offer Jae the long term contract he wants .

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 07:20:02 AM »
Does the Bucks trade make it more or less likely that Wes Matthews exercises his player option to stay with the Bucks.

Also if Giannias signs the max contract, I think the Heat don’t have to hold back anymore and can offer Jae the long term contract he wants .

Wes opted out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 07:31:06 AM »
Great move by the Bucks, whether #34 stays or leave. Got rid of "just of bunch of guys." In a twisted way, I could see Howard getting a real look by the Bucks as a free agent. They will need to fill their bench with some minimum contracts, hey?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:58:42 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
Extremely interesting moves by the Bucks.

Most of the time, I love it when a team goes for it, and I do really like these moves. I was a little surprised they had to give up 3 firsts for Holiday, but what the hell. Were I a Bucks fan, I wouldn't be especially concerned about any of the spare parts they gave up, though they now have to prove they know how to spot good, cheap role players to make valuable contributions.

I agree with what wades says about the Bucks slipping into mediocrity (or worse) if Freak leaves. They have a generational talent and they had to do whatever they could, within reason, to win a title with him and to convince him to stay.

To me, these trades appear to be "within reason."

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 07:56:55 AM »

Sounds like the Lakers really want him.  I think that’s where he ends up
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 08:00:44 AM »
Deal move by the Bucks, whether #34 stays or leave. Got rid of "just of bunch of guys." In a twisted way, I could see Howard getting a real look by the Bucks as a free agent. They will need to fill their bench with some minimum contracts, hey?

If I have the math right, the Bucks are still about $17M under the $138M hard cap they will have this year.

They are going to need a back up PG with both Hill and Dante gone.  Jeff Teague?  Brandin Knight?  Back up C too. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
The main thing I take away from these moves is that I don't envy Horst being tasked with convincing Giannis to stay.  Its such a weird thing - the strategy seems basically to be "Giannis will sign the supermax if the Bucks win the championship, but otherwise, probably not."  Because they really made life difficult for themselves after the next couple of seasons with basically none of their recent picks and no future picks.  And its hard for me to envision a scenario where the Bucks have the kind of season that convinces Giannis to stay AND Holiday opts in.  In that scenario, Holiday has probably had a good enough season that he'll opt out.  If Giannis stays, he is kind of cutting off his nose to spite his face a little here.

What makes this so different than other team building is that no one is forcing trades to go play with Giannis in MKE.  With any of the other top 20 players in the league, you've got all kinds of social connections and backchanneling, to the point where the GMs are forced to the table by the players with the high level structure of deals already in hand.  Horst just kind of has to operate within the traditional bounds of free agency, but building a "superteam" as they are constructed today is largely unavailable to him.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:03 AM »

If I have the math right, the Bucks are still about $17M under the $138M hard cap they will have this year.

They are going to need a back up PG with both Hill and Dante gone.  Jeff Teague?  Brandin Knight?  Back up C too.

Yup, really close.  I think there are some incentives in Holiday's deal that makes it slightly lower.  Per Kevin Pelton's trade analysis on ESPN.com:

Assuming the team keeps 14 players on its roster and this year's No. 24 pick is sent to the Pelicans, Milwaukee will have about $15.2 million above and beyond players making the veteran's minimum to spend total -- including the first-year salary for Bogdanovic's new contract.

feedback