[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU and diversity of thought  (Read 13962 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: MU and diversity of thought
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
Why would they? There's nothing in Catholic doctrine condemning people who are LGBTQ+.There may be students who are offended but their offense isn't based in Catholic teachings.

Catholic "teaching" and Catholic doctrine are two different things.  In my view, when we fail to teach the sermon on the mt., the evil of self rightiousness and greed we create the problems we now face.  The common good, love and humility are left out of much so-called christian teaching.

The way I see Catholic teaching/doctrine is that there is very little to condem. 

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2020, 05:51:56 PM »
Since I will be sending my youngest daughter off to Marquette in a month I truly appreciate this civil and often illuminating discussion.  TAMU's and Tower's are especially noteworthy.  When I was at MU in the mid 80s (in student government with the former governor) there were plenty of controversies.  Thankfully there was no internet and social media.  I hope and pray that my daughter's next four years will give her the same education from diverse and thoughtful professors and a grounding in Catholic faith that I received.

Scotch, bourbon, or beer when I write the first tuition check?  Or the John Lee Hooker version and drink all three?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »

Scotch, bourbon, or beer when I write the first tuition check?  Or the John Lee Hooker version and drink all three?

considering tuition today, the Icelandic national drink, Brennivín, a.k.a. Black Death would be your best choice.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Tha Hound

• All American
Delete
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
Can I post this here? Generally don’t know. Feel free to delete if not.

Anyways, this is making the rounds on Twitter this morning:

https://t.co/CPqbkAqEbc

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:51:37 AM by Tha Hound »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
That's one way to characterize what happened.  ::)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Marquette isn't removing her.  She's played this for all it's worth.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
1. Already a thread or two about this
2. It's not portrayed accurately here.

Tha Hound

• All American
1. Already a thread or two about this
2. It's not portrayed accurately here.

Edit - see it now. Feel free to delete thread
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:45:10 AM by Tha Hound »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Delete
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »
Can I post this here? Generally don’t know. Feel free to delete if not.

Anyways, this is making the rounds on Twitter this morning:

https://t.co/CPqbkAqEbc

There's a better chance of Dameon Mason being inducted into the MU Hall of Fame than this article being an accurate depiction of what actually happened.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
Ugh, I hate giving website traffic to the College Fix.

The most useful part of this article is the addendum at the bottom where they confirm that her admission is not being revoked (and likely was never in danger of being revoked). MU handled this exactly how universities are supposed to handle it when a student is reported to have posted hate speech online. Try to get the student to reflect on the impact of their actions on themselves and others and then move on.

As I said in the other thread, I'm still curious what the student actually posted. This article references one very vanilla video where the student expresses support for POTUS. But if you read some of the material in this article and other articles on the situation, those who reported her to the university cited multiple racist, transphobic, and homophobic comments as the reason for their report, not a single video. I can't imagine why these details would be left out by such an upstanding journalistic body.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »

I can't imagine why these details would be left out by such an upstanding journalistic body.

I lol'd
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »

The most useful part of this article is the addendum at the bottom where they confirm that her admission is not being revoked (and likely was never in danger of being revoked). MU handled this exactly how universities are supposed to handle it when a student is reported to have posted hate speech online. Try to get the student to reflect on the impact of their actions on themselves and others and then move on.

As I said in the other thread, I'm still curious what the student actually posted. This article references one very vanilla video where the student expresses support for POTUS. But if you read some of the material in this article and other articles on the situation, those who reported her to the university cited multiple racist, transphobic, and homophobic comments as the reason for their report, not a single video. I can't imagine why these details would be left out by such an upstanding journalistic body.

If you can't trust "The College Fix" who can you trust?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »
If you can't trust "The College Fix" who can you trust?

What’s next on this slippery slope, will they be coming after The Chive?!?!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »
What’s next on this slippery slope, will they be coming after The Chive?!?!

I'd say The Onion but there are too many times where I am no longer positive an Onion headline is real or a joke.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »

Marquette's official response:

Marquette University’s admissions decisions are made based on academic achievements and student involvement, not political views. Information circulating today from a blog that Marquette might rescind the admission of incoming freshman Samantha Pfefferle is false. Marquette has not rescinded her admissions offer.
Concerns about this new student that were brought to the university’s attention were not based on political affiliation but on alleged use of discriminatory language. In this case, there were also concerns for the incoming student’s safety, which were investigated by the Marquette University Police Department and discussed with the incoming student.
By their very nature, institutions of higher education are places of public dialogue and vigorous discourse about the most compelling issues of the day. The 500-year-old tradition of Catholic, Jesuit education is grounded in the discovery of knowledge and the sharing of diverse viewpoints – political or otherwise. Marquette takes this responsibility very seriously and prides itself on teaching our students how to think, not what to think. Through university-sponsored events, student organizations and myriad opportunities for engagement, diverse viewpoints from across the political spectrum are shared regularly with opportunity for discussion and the airing of a variety of viewpoints.
As a Catholic, Jesuit institution, Marquette remains committed to a transformational education, one that seeks to form and inform students so they can transform the world around us. This is accomplished through research, scholarship, service learning and, above all, the way we educate our students to be men and women for and with others.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »

Marquette University’s admissions decisions are made based on academic achievements and student involvement, not political views. Information circulating today from a blog that Marquette might rescind the admission of incoming freshman Samantha Pfefferle is false. Marquette has not rescinded her admissions offer.
Concerns about this new student that were brought to the university’s attention were not based on political affiliation but on alleged use of discriminatory language. In this case, there were also concerns for the incoming student’s safety, which were investigated by the Marquette University Police Department and discussed with the incoming student.
By their very nature, institutions of higher education are places of public dialogue and vigorous discourse about the most compelling issues of the day. The 500-year-old tradition of Catholic, Jesuit education is grounded in the discovery of knowledge and the sharing of diverse viewpoints – political or otherwise. Marquette takes this responsibility very seriously and prides itself on teaching our students how to think, not what to think. Through university-sponsored events, student organizations and myriad opportunities for engagement, diverse viewpoints from across the political spectrum are shared regularly with opportunity for discussion and the airing of a variety of viewpoints.
As a Catholic, Jesuit institution, Marquette remains committed to a transformational education, one that seeks to form and inform students so they can transform the world around us. This is accomplished through research, scholarship, service learning and, above all, the way we educate our students to be men and women for and with others.

Hear that?  That's the sound of Marquette successfully slamming the door on all of this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »
I'm sure McAdams will still be spending his days responding to every comment on the articles.

By the way, I love that the article says they won't share the name of the incoming student for obvious reasons, but then shares the full name of the student that brought the concerns forward, to go along with screenshots of a number of her social media accounts.  Good stuff.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »

[/quote]

Sounds like a very good response to me.  It covers all the bases, "A" work.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »

I'm honestly surprised they issued this direct of statement but can't find any fault with it. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, the student's admission was never in danger of being revoked. But saying it was made her famous for a few minutes. I noticed that in the past week she's become a "correspondent" for Campus Reform.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
I'm honestly surprised they issued this direct of statement but can't find any fault with it. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, the student's admission was never in danger of being revoked. But saying it was made her famous for a few minutes. I noticed that in the past week she's become a "correspondent" for Campus Reform.

There definitely was frustration behind their response.  And that's fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
Didn't I read that she was told her admission was under review?  That sounds ominous to me and the questioning about someone else being uncomfortable with an apposing viewpoint is the concern.
Someone projecting their bias perhaps.  Not a good story about a Christian University since this is not an isolated event in Academia these days.
She looked so happy to be attending MU . Sorry that her presidential preference had to be an issue.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
(A) She made her presidential preference an issue.

(B) She is still going to go to Marquette.

(C) Fake martyrdom.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2020, 06:27:40 PM »
Didn't I read that she was told her admission was under review?  That sounds ominous to me and the questioning about someone else being uncomfortable with an apposing viewpoint is the concern.
Someone projecting their bias perhaps.  Not a good story about a Christian University since this is not an isolated event in Academia these days.
She looked so happy to be attending MU . Sorry that her presidential preference had to be an issue.

You need to sharpen your focus. Start with not being a gullible stooge.

MU followed up with her because she routinely used ethnic and racial slurs in her social media use. She cleaned it up, Marquette was mollified, everyone can move forward.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »

I'm not sure where you read that.  Please, link it if you would.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2020, 07:08:10 PM »
Sorry that her presidential preference had to be an issue.

Her presidential preference wasn't an issue.
Her mocking of trans people and immigrants was.

feedback