[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Anti Catholic remarks made by ESPN host  (Read 13913 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
OT: Anti Catholic remarks made by ESPN host
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »
Apparently Dana Jacobsen, one of the hosts of ESPN's First Take, made the following comments at a Mike and Mike roast:

"f... Notre dame"
"f....touchdown Jesus"
and - the step-aside-because-lightning-is-about-to-strike... "f.... Jesus."

http://deadspin.com/346537/first-video-of-mike-and-mike-roast-surfaces

I don't care what you all think about Notre Dame, but the last comment attacks all Catholics.  If Imus was fired for what he said, this woman deserves the axe as well.  Catholics have been persecuted for our beliefs throughout history, even in the 20th and now 21st century.  Its time to take a stand against this kind of crap.  Unacceptable that people should be allowed to make harrasing remarks such as this and retain their job.  Not in today's society.  Not ever.

muhoosier260

• All American
Re: OT: Anti Catholic remarks made by ESPN host
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
not just all Catholics, how bout all Christians

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
It's a roast.  Get over it.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:09:35 PM »
That is true but I think the comment was aimed at Catholics most because she said it in reference to a Catholic institution.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
It's a roast.  Get over it.

If the remarks had been anti-Semitic or racist, there would be an outrage.  Why is it acceptable to attack Catholics and other Christians.  It shouldnt be.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 04:13:10 PM »
That's my point.  Roasts are nothing but religion, sex, gay and race jokes.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
Then there shouldn't be any roasts.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
Did she get laughs?  It's only a crime if it wasn't funny, ala Cosmo Kramer's bit last year yelling the N-word.

Comedy is about rude and outrageous things being said .. for a laugh. -- Anyone catch Doonsebury yesterday?  Calling genocide part of the "Jew Brand"? 

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Then there shouldn't be any roasts.

That's what Hitler said.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
She apparently got booed pretty badly.

Sorry but I'm sick of this kind of crap being acceptable.  At my graduation from MU the speaker (someone from NBC or something) got up there and made some Catholic jokes that I'm sure she thought were funny but I didn't.  I was pissed about that. 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
I've never laughed at any Doonesberry cartoons.  That one was not even close to funny and never should have been published.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
It was a roast, for goodness sake!  All targets are fair.  As for people being outraged if that comment was made about another religion, watch a Comedy Central Roast some time.  They rip on all religions races, etc with great vulgarity and I neevr hear about it again.  It's done in fun.  Now, I understand this sorta thing is not everyone's cup of tea.  No one is forcing anyone to watch or listen.  I do not think one person heard that comment and thought to him or herself, "Wow, that's right!  I'm gonna hate on Catholics from now on!"  So what harm is really done other than the time wasted talking about it?

As my mom used to say, "Sticks and stones..."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
Cartoon reminds me of this guy:

"Responding to a TV reporter's question about whether New Orleans' murder rate hurts the city's tourism economy, Mayor Ray Nagin on Thursday called the phenomenon a 'two-edged sword.'  'Do I worry about it? Somewhat. It's not good for us, but it also keeps the New Orleans brand out there...'

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:50:47 PM by MOwarrior »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
wow Nagin really said that?

yes it was a roast.  but theres never an acceptable time to say "unnatural carnal knowledge Jesus" at a company event.  imagine if she had said "unnatural carnal knowledge mohammed" or "unnatural carnal knowledge moses."

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »
I'm sure you weren't the only one offended, but as the others said, it was a roast.  There were probably hundreds of offensive statements.  There's nothing illegal about offending someone.  Nothing against you, but it seems like people are looking for the opportunity to be offended.  "I'm offended, somebody needs to be fired."  Same thing with Don Imus.  The Rutgers team played the victim card very well.  That's all part of the PC society we live in.  Can't offend any anybody, at any time, in any situation, or heads will roll.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
She was also reported to be extremely intoxicated to the point of losing all balance.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
Not an excuse, but if everyone was fired for the stupid, rude, obnoxious, offensive or bigoted thing said while intoxicated, the unemployment rate would be pretty high.

Correct me, but was this even broadcast anywhere?  The footage is clearly from a guy with a camcorder.  So, basically, this was a private party?   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:29:10 PM »
Private thing from ESPN.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
Jimmy Carter's secretary of agriculture, Earl Butz, was castigated, villified, and ultimately fired for telling a private joke, on a private plane, to a reporter after telling him it was "between you and me".  The joke was about blacks.  This was 30ish years ago.  We've come a long way with our liberties, as long as we don't denegrate: gays, women, jews, blacks, hispanics, and now arabs and islam.  Men, whites, christians,... that's about all that's left! 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Jimmy Carter's secretary of agriculture, Earl Butz, was castigated, villified, and ultimately fired for telling a private joke, on a private plane, to a reporter after telling him it was "between you and me".  The joke was about blacks.  This was 30ish years ago.  We've come a long way with our liberties, as long as we don't denegrate: gays, women, jews, blacks, hispanics, and now arabs and islam.  Men, whites, christians,... that's about all that's left! 

And don't you dare pay tribute to the proud legacy of Native Americans by referring to them by a term as derogatory as "Warriors!"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »

And don't you dare pay tribute to the proud legacy of Native Americans by referring to them by a term as derogatory as "Warriors!"

Necessary?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
That is true but I think the comment was aimed at Catholics most because she said it in reference to a Catholic institution.

It sounds more like she's one of the 200 million people in this country that despises Notre Dame and took pleasure in watching their football team lose last year.  Her comments sound more like an immature high-school kid taking his or her comments a little too far, that's all.  I'm pretty sure the people who devote an entire month of the year campaigning to get a holiday display taken down are more anti-Catholic than Dana Jacobsen.   

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »
Nothing against you, but it seems like people are looking for the opportunity to be offended.  "I'm offended, somebody needs to be fired."  Same thing with Don Imus. 

That's a completely different scenario, and it's all about the venue.

Dana Jacobsen gets liquored up and goes too far at a private roast, making some blanket statements she shouldn't have.  It might be a bit tough for Dana to return to work, especially now that Deadspin posted her story and the world knows, but my guess is that ESPN management will give her some slack.

Don Imus, on the other hand, goes on his morning show, a venue that can be easily accessed by millions of people, and makes a conscious decision to single out a team of 12 college-age amateur women's basketball players as "nappy headed hoes".

Pretty big difference between a private party and the national stage.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:47 PM »
Nothing against you, but it seems like people are looking for the opportunity to be offended.  "I'm offended, somebody needs to be fired."  Same thing with Don Imus. 

That's a completely different scenario, and it's all about the venue.

Dana Jacobsen gets liquored up and goes too far at a private roast, making some blanket statements she shouldn't have.  It might be a bit tough for Dana to return to work, especially now that Deadspin posted her story and the world knows, but my guess is that ESPN management will give her some slack.

Don Imus, on the other hand, goes on his morning show, a venue that can be easily accessed by millions of people, and makes a conscious decision to single out a team of 12 college-age amateur women's basketball players as "nappy headed hoes".

Pretty big difference between a private party and the national stage.

I would agree that they are different.  I'm not sure I would classify it as "pretty big".  One is a "shock jock" (or so I've heard, I'm not sure that's how I'd classify him) on live radio, the other is a sportscaster trying to be an insult comedian at a party for delayed national broadcast. 

I guess I was addressing the original post which said
"If Imus was fired for what he said, this woman deserves the axe as well.  Catholics have been persecuted for our beliefs throughout history, even in the 20th and now 21st century.  Its time to take a stand against this kind of crap.  Unacceptable that people should be allowed to make harrasing remarks such as this and retain their job.  Not in today's society.  Not ever." 
I probably should have said people are looking to be victims, not people are looking to be offended.

Sure Imus' statement was offensive, but mainly because HE said it.  Suspend him, lesson learned, move on.  One could argue that's basically what it ended up being for him, since he has his radio show back.  I just found it hard to listen to the player who said that she had to live the rest of her life disadvantaged because of those statements.   Now maybe that's not someone looking to play the victim, but she certainly didn't seem uncomfortable doing so.

I agree with you that ESPN will (rightly) cut her some slack.  I would guess that she'll at least get a talking to.  If enough people feel the way as Jutaw22mu, and are vocal enough about it, they will be much harsher.    Sure some Christians might be offended by this comment made at an event where the goal is to be offensive, but I don't think any of them should feel victimized. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:43:23 PM by larrym »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »
I have a friend in the research dept at ESPN, and he said that Jacobson has been suspeneded for a week.