collapse

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:18:09 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Virginia Tech vs. Virginia  (Read 8277 times)

Class71

• All American
Virginia Tech vs. Virginia
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »
Virginia is rattled and the hokies are up by 8 with 2 minutes to go. Hokies hitting 3's and playing D.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech vs. Virginia
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
Buzzard vs Shayok

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
Tech almost blew it but held on for the big W.  Congrats to those guys on the upset.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »
Bert 2-0 in the ACC.  Doing it with paint touches and small ball in his Year 2.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839816

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
But did he dance after the win???

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »
I effing hate Buzz.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:59 PM »

Impressive win without Chris Clarke & Ahmed Hill

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 10:31:22 PM »

One senior (who can't play) on the roster, maybe his best player out for the season. He's got next to nothing - but the man can coach.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:18 PM »
Superbar?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
Tony Bennett gave a ton of appreciation and respect to Buzz in postgame.  Said that they (UV) got exposed badly and were unable to adjust.  From one of the top defensive coaches in the game, that's a huge coaching compliment to Buzz.

My question is if Virginia Tech played Marquette tomorrow, on a neutral court, who wins?  They have a ton of toughness and physicality, and have a relentless no-quit attitude.  With several games this year (all losses) where Marquette clearly quit for long durations of the games, I would (unfortunately) think that VT would beat us.  But I have no clue. 

VT has now defeated NC State and Virginia in back-to-back games.  Very impressive.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »
? Really?
Let's just say I wouldn't put my $ on MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 10:46:32 PM »
Good for Buzz.  There are days the man can coach, and days he doesn't bother to show up.  I watched them the other day at home against West Virginia and it was amazingly awful.  Reminded me of his last year at MU as they lost by 25 and he was AOL after the game.

Tonight, they beat UVa.  Almost beat them last year, too. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
He was AOL checking emails after the game?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »
I saw the score and went to ESPN to check out the pictures, looking for some Buzz freakouts.

I only found one Buzz pic but I also found this one (see attached).

#4 team.

At home.

An upset win.

Tons of empty seats.

#BlacksburgIsABasketballTown
#Nope
#IfYouBeatARankedTeamAndAFewPeopleSawItDidItReallyHappen

SS Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
Congratulations to Buzz. I am always happen when our alumni do well.  Hope he has a winning season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 11:16:47 PM »
Congratulations to Buzz. I am always happen when our alumni do well.  Hope he has a winning season.

and beat a Badger at that!
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »
and beat a Badger at that!

I thought he beat a Fighting Phoenician

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »
Good for Buzz.  There are days the man can coach, and days he doesn't bother to show up.  I watched them the other day at home against West Virginia and it was amazingly awful.  Reminded me of his last year at MU as they lost by 25 and he was AOL after the game.

Tonight, they beat UVa.  Almost beat them last year, too.

Agreed 100%

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 12:12:44 AM »
  Reminded me of his last year at MU as they lost by 25 and he was AOL after the game.

Lie. MU never lost by 20 in Buzz's last year, let alone 25.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 02:17:28 AM »

VT has now defeated NC State and Virginia in back-to-back games.  Very impressive.

Something Bert could not do while at the helm of Marquette...

Death on call

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 08:08:27 AM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  10h10 hours ago
Virginia Tech just upset Virginia w-o Chris Clarke or Ahmed Hill. Only a matter of time before Buzz Williams has Hokies in top half of ACC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »

I have no idea what being "America On Line" after the game means, but as Lenny said they never lost by 25 his last year.

This has been an odd criticism of yours since he stood up that goofball Marquette alum Jim Hague called him "Bonehead Buzz" back after a 2011 game at Seton Hall and made him 75 minutes after the game.

http://jimhaguesports.blogspot.com/2011/03/theres-no-buzz-with-marquettes-coach.html?spref=fb

I said it then, and I will say it now.  I don't care.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »

I have no idea what being "America On Line" after the game means, but as Lenny said they never lost by 25 his last year.

This has been an odd criticism of yours since he stood up that goofball Marquette alum Jim Hague called him "Bonehead Buzz" back after a 2011 game at Seton Hall and made him 75 minutes after the game.

http://jimhaguesports.blogspot.com/2011/03/theres-no-buzz-with-marquettes-coach.html?spref=fb

I said it then, and I will say it now.  I don't care.

I remember this post well.  He also had this part ...

There was another problem with Williams' selfishness Saturday night. Apparently, there was a recruit, a good-looking 6-foot-9 player who sat patiently outside the Marquette locker room, waiting for Bonehead Buzz to rear his bald head. Gee, think there's a chance this kid now signs with Marquette after waiting that long?

That was Philip Nolan.  I believe he wanted to come to MU but Buzz did not want him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
I remember this post well.  He also had this part ...

There was another problem with Williams' selfishness Saturday night. Apparently, there was a recruit, a good-looking 6-foot-9 player who sat patiently outside the Marquette locker room, waiting for Bonehead Buzz to rear his bald head. Gee, think there's a chance this kid now signs with Marquette after waiting that long?

That was Philip Nolan.  I believe he wanted to come to MU but Buzz did not want him.

Probably for good reason.  Nolan hasn't been very good at UConn.  Only playing 6 mpg as a senior.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61579/phillip-nolan

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
The local kid Buzz screwed up on was LaChance.

If I remember, Nolan was a real doubt to qualify at the time as well.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »

A lot of people screwed up on him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »

If I remember, Nolan was a real doubt to qualify at the time as well.

That is what I remember too, below explains why he was at Seton Hall to see Buzz that day.

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20120618/NEWS/306189959
Posted: 06/18/12,

After playing at Milwaukee-Vincent his first two years of high school, Nolan decided to go off to Huntington Prep in West Virginia. It didn't last long -- he left right around Thanksgiving break after playing just a couple of scrimmages and one game -- but Nolan made a positive impression on coach Rob Fulford.

"He's a really good kid, kind of laid-back," said Fulford. "From a basketball standpoint, he's long, athletic, he can stretch the floor a little bit with his shooting. Phil's got a ton of potential. He's gotten better since the last time I saw him."

Nolan simply struggled conforming to Huntington's strict academic guidelines.

"I think he was trying, but we have a tough academic setting," Fulford said. "It's not for everyone. We could sense there was going to be some struggle with him. He was trying. It was his first time away from home, and I'm not sure he was 100 percent sold on being away from home."

Nolan returned to Milwaukee for Thanksgiving, realized he wouldn't be able to transfer into a city public school and went out to St. Benedict's Prep in New Jersey for the remainder of the season.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:28:25 AM by Heisenberg »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »

One of Chico's favorite ploys is the pat on the back as he buries the knife in your stomach. As his victim lies bleeding to death he'll tell you how much he liked him - "Didn't you just see me pat him on the back?" Totally phony.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
A lot of people screwed up on him.

No doubt, but I didn't like the way he approached that situation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
Best coach at Marquette since Al.   I expect him to take Virginia Tech into the upper portion of the ACC.    Better than Duke/UNC?   If he is still there when K retires and the sanctions finally hit the fan at UNC, possibly.    Not before then.    The farther removed we get, the clearer it is that the relationship between and the MU administration had deteriorated beyond repair.   I am sure Buzz feels MU moved away from him, and I am sure that MU felt Buzz had moved away from them.   Usually, there is truth to both sides.   

But the man can coach.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »
Best coach at Marquette since Al.   I expect him to take Virginia Tech into the upper portion of the ACC.    Better than Duke/UNC?   If he is still there when K retires and the sanctions finally hit the fan at UNC, possibly.    Not before then.    The farther removed we get, the clearer it is that the relationship between and the MU administration had deteriorated beyond repair.   I am sure Buzz feels MU moved away from him, and I am sure that MU felt Buzz had moved away from them.   Usually, there is truth to both sides.   

But the man can coach.   

I only question if he has the ability to stay in a place long enough to build a program.  He may have found his sweet spot at VPI, or he may burn out and move on.  Time will tell.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
Fair point.   All indications are that he has a restless spirit.   MU was the longest he has stayed anywhere up to that point.    Maybe as he ages.......?    But it is entirely possible he will be a Larry Brown-like vagabond.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »

But the man can coach.

The difference between VT and UNC, Duke, and even to lesser extents schools like UVA and Louisville is that VT is 100% a football school.  Duke and UNC are basketball schools, while UVA and Louisville are both.  Based on what I've heard about his time at MU, especially the last couple of years, I cannot see Buzz remaining happy playing second fiddle in an athletic department.  There will be some issues there.  If there's not and VT doesn't mess with happy, he'll get them into the 2nd tier of ACC basketball, but I don't see them ever being the class of the ACC.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
I think the whole basketball school / football school labeling doesn't make a lot of sense in today's world of college athletics.  I don't think there is anything that prevents schools from being successful at both.  Florida, Michigan, Ohio State are all schools that show you can be good at both if you direct the resources that way.  In fact an attractive football program can benefit the basketball program.  I think that is one of the reasons he wanted to go to a P5 conference.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
Why?

Because he is pretty much directly responsible for the past 2.5 years. He left us nothing when he jumped ship.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
Because he is pretty much directly responsible for the past 2.5 years. He left us nothing when he jumped ship.

His recruiting mistakes are what caused his poor last year at MU as well. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

Did you like him when he was guiding MU to 3 straight Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 appearance?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
Did you like him when he was guiding MU to 3 straight Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 appearance?

Of course I did. I wasn't around for Crean but as least he left Buzz something to work with when he left.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »

His recruiting mistakes are what caused his poor last year at MU as well.

Looking back I agree but at the time that was our best recruiting class ever under Buzz. Duane just got hurt and Vander left.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
I think the whole basketball school / football school labeling doesn't make a lot of sense in today's world of college athletics.  I don't think there is anything that prevents schools from being successful at both.  Florida, Michigan, Ohio State are all schools that show you can be good at both if you direct the resources that way.  In fact an attractive football program can benefit the basketball program.  I think that is one of the reasons he wanted to go to a P5 conference.

Yes, schools can be good at both...but there is always a program that serves as the backbone of the school's identity.  In the cases of the three schools you listed, all are clearly "football schools," even though they have had real success on the court.  Likewise, some "basketball schools" like Duke and UNC have had

IMHO, the way you get a "second" program (hoops in these examples) to have sustained success is to find a guy who has the personality to be comfortable being the #2 coach on campus.  Beilein and Matta have been successful at UM and tOSU, yet their salaries are roughly half (Matta) or one-third (Beilein) what the football coach gets paid.  And Florida has new coaches in both sports, with the new BB coach receiving half of what the new FB coach gets.

Not sure Buzz has the personality to play #2 to a football coach very long, especially if he revives VT hoops and still isn't BMOC.  The guy can coach, but he also has a huge ego.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Looking back I agree but at the time that was our best recruiting class ever under Buzz. Duane just got hurt and Vander left.

His 2011 class was Anderson, Mayo, Derrick Wilson
His 2012 class was Durley, Ferguson, Steve Taylor, TJ Taylor

That was the ultimate problem of Buzz's last year and Wojo's first two years.  Two guys who never played a game for MU, two others who ultimately transferred, one who was a dumbass, and two marginal players.

Even his 2010 class, which included Blue and Gardner, also included Jamail and Reggie Smith.

Too many recruiting mistakes.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
i was really surprised to see how empty the arena was.  ain't not much of a rivalry??  VT hosting #4/5 and they can't fill 'er up?  that's not good.  there were A LOT of empty seats.  the first thing al would do when he walked in to the arena was look at the 4 corners...if they were full, he felt he did his job
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
i was really surprised to see how empty the arena was.  ain't not much of a rivalry??  VT hosting #4/5 and they can't fill 'er up?  that's not good.  there were A LOT of empty seats.  the first thing al would do when he walked in to the arena was look at the 4 corners...if they were full, he felt he did his job

A Monday night in Blacksburg, Virginia, when students aren't around, is a sparsely populated place.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »

A Monday night in Blacksburg, Virginia, when students aren't around, is a sparsely populated place.

ohhh-forgot that the students are still on break-thanks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
although, the kansas had a great crowd of students last night, but i'm sure #1 vs. #2 will do that-what a game!  triple overtime.  i wonder if we were in the running for that buddy guy?  holy schnikees is he good-POY right there

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »

Sure.  But like a Michigan State where you have the coaches of the basketball and football programs supporting each other, I don't see any way possible that Buzz gets told he can't have something go his way within the athletic department.  And I don't think an athletic department that is as committed to football as Virginia Tech is will be willing to give Buzz everything he's going to want.  And when Buzz gets told "No," things get ugly.  Has less to do with football vs. basketball and more to do with Buzz Williams and his ego.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
although, the kansas had a great crowd of students last night, but i'm sure #1 vs. #2 will do that-what a game!  triple overtime.  i wonder if we were in the running for that buddy guy?  holy schnikees is he good-POY right there

This should be a great POY race.  Valentine, Hield, and Dunn are all great college basketball players, and then you have a guy like Simmons who is an unbelievable freshman talent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Sure.  But like a Michigan State where you have the coaches of the basketball and football programs supporting each other, I don't see any way possible that Buzz gets told he can't have something go his way within the athletic department.  And I don't think an athletic department that is as committed to football as Virginia Tech is will be willing to give Buzz everything he's going to want.  And when Buzz gets told "No," things get ugly.  Has less to do with football vs. basketball and more to do with Buzz Williams and his ego.

I guess time will tell, but I don't think that conflicts with football will be much of a concern with Buzz.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
VT signature win over #4 Virginia looking a little less impressive as Virginia lost at Georgia Tech by 4.  Virginia was down by 11 with one minute to play so they made a big run.

Couple more weeks like this and the Cavalier faithful with pack Bennett's bags to send him to Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:04:03 PM by Heisenberg »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
VT signature win over #4 Virginia looking a little less impressive as Virginia is lost at Georgia Tech by 4.  Virginia was down by 11 with one minutes to play so they made a big run.

And VT gets clobbered by 24 at Duke.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
Buzz has all the leverage and can leave whenever for a song. He absolutely bent them over a barrel with his contract. One of the advantages of leaving a b2b2b S16 program for a bottom feeder.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
Worst ACC team beat the best Big East team. Maybe Bert was right, ai'na?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Worst ACC team beat the best Big East team. Maybe Bert was right, ai'na?

Who is the worst ACC team?  Who is the best Big East team?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
Who is the worst ACC team?  Who is the best Big East team?

I assumed it was a joke about UVA beating Nova

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »

It was.  I didn't realize UVA got a win in the ACC.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
Nova is the biggest problem for the current Big East reputation, if there is one.  They dominate the league but don't fare so well out of conference, particularly in the NCAAs.  Looks like they're heading for a similar season this year, too.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
MU's last two ex-coaches 9-1 in their new conference. What is in common?  Both Creaned and Buzz-cut their first month on their new jobs to reset as quick as they could.  MU still playing catch-up.

feedback