'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Happy, but  (Read 8049 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Happy, but
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2018, 12:31:40 AM »
You may have been one of the more positive fans, and if so that’s great. We need more of that.  I just always have a general wonder about why people don’t like celebrations and court rushes and things like that.  The players should act like they’ve been there, sure, but the whole fun of being a fan is being able to get crazy and psyched about a win.  This is nothing if not entertainment for us, so why does there have to be a rule book about celebration levels? You’re putting on a show basically. Drop streamers, play music, do whatever to make the fans feel like they want to come again because it’s a spectacle.

I have been excited all night about MU's win, that was my only complaint, context please.  Let's act like we've been there.  We have our fans complaining almost every game, and this is what you decide to comment on because I was positive about the team, coach and result, but when others do nothing but complain how we play, coach, that's ok?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 07:48:34 AM »
Don't get me wrong, Markus is a star and I am extremely happy he is on the team.
The team has a tremendous amount of talent spread throughout the players.  It might not of been as close as it was if we played more team ball on offense. 
Defensive effort won this one for Marquette.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 07:54:31 AM »
I have been excited all night about MU's win, that was my only complaint, context please.  Let's act like we've been there.  We have our fans complaining almost every game, and this is what you decide to comment on because I was positive about the team, coach and result, but when others do nothing but complain how we play, coach, that's ok?

Dumb

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 07:55:00 AM »
You're being a douche canoe too.

Please re-ban all the new iterations

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »
I actually have a gripe about Wojo's coaching in this one but it's not hero ball. For the life of me I will never get the Markus hate.

UTEP was a bad shooting night. We got open looks but couldn't hit them. This was not that. Wisconsin had our offense pegged and we were getting precious few open looks. I would have liked to see a little more creativity in the play calling to try and get something going.

Wisconsin was playing stellar D and points in this one were precious few. Markus went out and got 27 of them. Yes he needed a lot of shots to get there, it was not his best game by any stretch, but do you really think if his 29 shot attempts went elsewhere in this game that they would have resulted in 27 points? Personally, I don't think so.

UW did a fantastic job of collapsing on Markus. But yeah I can’t realky figure out the level of frustration about his play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2018, 08:02:48 AM »
Markus is going to leave MU as the all time leading scorer.   He is making the transition from shooting guard to point guard.    There is no other consistent shot creators on this team.   His defense has improved dramatically.    He has done nothing but represent the university positively.     HE MISSED SHOTS AGAINST A TEAM WHOSE ENTIRE DEFENSE WAS PREDICATED ON STOPPING HIM.    And MU won.   

Last year he got hurt and missed time.    Picture, if you will, this year's team for an entire game without Howard.  And then stop whining. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2018, 08:52:14 AM »
Markus is going to leave MU as the all time leading scorer.   He is making the transition from shooting guard to point guard.    There is no other consistent shot creators on this team.   His defense has improved dramatically.    He has done nothing but represent the university positively.     HE MISSED SHOTS AGAINST A TEAM WHOSE ENTIRE DEFENSE WAS PREDICATED ON STOPPING HIM.    And MU won.   

Last year he got hurt and missed time.    Picture, if you will, this year's team for an entire game without Howard.  And then stop whining.

Well said
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »

This is all true. That said, I understand the frustration with Howard when he's not finding teammates and putting shots up early in the shot clock. That's why I'd like to see us focused on slowing our offensive pace. Work for the best look. Last year it was easier because of the space created, but our average offensive possession length is 16.4 seconds, which is 99th in the country. So we are still trying to play fast on offense. Slow it down, wait for something to develop, and if it's not there in the first 20-23 seconds, there's still time for Markus to get the ball and force something up.

I think he's going through the transition to try to become what Rowsey was offensively. When Rowsey was distributing and creating, it opened him up for better looks as well. That's what I want to see out of Howard. When the ball is moving, when he is creating for others, it forces defenses to cover those others more closely. That's going to give him more space to operate and better looks. In helping others, he will also help himself.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »
Markus is not a PG, not the way most of us think of PGs. He's not even a "scoring PG" in the mode of Kyrie or Kemba. He simply does not see the overall court very well, doesn't see the openings he creates for teammates.

I don't mean that as a knock; every player has strengths and shortcomings, and this is Markus' main shortcoming. I hope he gets better at it as the season progresses and as he gains experience as our primary PG, but I also am a realist.

He clearly would be best as a 2 alongside a talented penetrate-and-kick PG, but we don't have that. So we have to make do with what we have, as does Markus.

Could he make better decisions, and could our offense be more balanced? Yes and yes, and hopefully over the course of the season both will happen.

But Markus has a very unique skill set, I am thrilled he is a Warrior, and I sure as shyte am not gonna rip the kid after he played quite well in a huge win against the mother-effin, nut-grabbin', canoe-douche-in', free-throw-chokin' F%ckies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »

Didn't know Gard was consulting you on their defensive scheme.  All the more to get the ball to the open teammates. 
While I hope Markus is healthy the entire season and can play every game, I don't have nightmares if he can't.  This team is loaded with talent and will only get better as the other players get more active on the offense.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »
On a really rough shooting night, Markus at least took it strongly to the hoop and got to the line. Aside from those two duds at the end, it was a big impact getting UW in foul trouble and getting some easy points.

Sam has been too passive. The last 3 games Joey's played better than his older brother. I'm totally fine with Sam and Joey taking more shots, Anim driving a bit more and getting John/Morrow some looks down low.

Why anyone's complaining about some streamers at the end of a big win is silly.

feedback