[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zach Auguste Final Four  (Read 20352 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Zach Auguste Final Four
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
We did not oversign last year and we ended up with two open scholarships we could not fill in the spring. Falll siging date is the middle of November, by that time Buzz will have somewhat of an idea how happy the three freshmen are. I think whether we oversign or not Buzz will keep recruiting upto the fall signing period. Even a current recruit could change his mind. Therefore even if Augustine committed I would still expect Buzz to try and get Nolan and Blaise to visit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:14:33 PM by bilsu »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
Maybe, but I think he only signs 4 recruits this fall and doesn't sign 5 to go one over the limit because of what I mentioned previously.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 07:28:10 AM »
Maybe, but I think he only signs 4 recruits this fall and doesn't sign 5 to go one over the limit because of what I mentioned previously.
I understand that and that is a good reason to base your conclusion on.
I just wanted to know if you were stating inside info (such as Buzz told you he would not oversign) or it was your personal opinion. Nobody likes oversigning, because it could ending resulting in taking away a scholarship. However, Unfortunately it is rare if we do not have a transfer out of the program. So you are damned if you do and damned if you do not. I do believe our current recruiting is going to keep us in the middle 8 teams in the conference and I would only oversigned to get two bigmen. We are targeting three (that I know of)and we probably will be lucky to get one of them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »
I think what Ted said earlier makes sense though.  Don't oversign in the fall...but keep recruiting so that in the Spring if we do have a transfer we have someone lined up in the late signing period.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
I understand that and that is a good reason to base your conclusion on.
I just wanted to know if you were stating inside info (such as Buzz told you he would not oversign) or it was your personal opinion. Nobody likes oversigning, because it could ending resulting in taking away a scholarship. However, Unfortunately it is rare if we do not have a transfer out of the program. So you are damned if you do and damned if you do not. I do believe our current recruiting is going to keep us in the middle 8 teams in the conference and I would only oversigned to get two bigmen. We are targeting three (that I know of)and we probably will be lucky to get one of them.

That's actually been one of my thoughts of late. It feels like a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg scenario. We need the next level of recruits to make the jump, guys like Quincy Miller, Anthony Bennett, Mitch McGary, BJ Young, and Branden Dawson. But to get those guys in, it seems we first need to make the jump to convince them that we have a good thing going here.

I have to think that guys like Wes, Lazar, and JFB going to the NBA will help. But more than anything, some 25+ win seasons, Big East regular season or tourney titles, and Final Four appearances will help us. The only question is if we can get there with our current level of player. Buzz has done a damn good job, but it'll take another 2-3 years of high level success to bring in those top-20 type talents that we are getting oh-so-close on right now. Either that, or one of those top-20 talents deciding to take the chance of coming here and lifting us to that high level success.

Regardless, we've come a long way in the past 3 years, but still have a long way to go as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
I'm not certain we need the next level of recruits to make the jump.  My opinion is that we need the current batch of Top 100 recruits to start producing on the court.

So far for Buzz, none of his Top 100 recruits have been significant contributors on the court.  After losing the Amigos, the contributors have been from the JUCO ranks (Butler, DJO, Crowder).  However, the roster of Top 100 recruits is getting continuously larger.  This year's team has five (one upperclassman) and next year's team will have eight (four upperclassmen).  Last year's team had four Top 100 recruits (not including Jamil Wilson), and no upperclassmen.

The talent is there and it is increasing... now we just need those players to begin producing.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:39:56 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »
Good players want to play with good players.  The more Top 100 kids that are on campus, the better recruiting will happen.  Al proved that for 10 years, got George Thompson then Dean
the Dream and so on.  Players recruit players, Buzz has to get them to visit, hopefully the players can sell another top player to come play with them.  Auguste brings size and with Steve
Taylor 2 power players to take over for Crowder,  MU then will be in great shape for many years at all positions.  Competition for playing time will be there.  Have to bring your game to practice everyday, that is how you improve as an individual player and a team.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
Two keys for the Zach Auguste recruiting right now.

1). The obvious is to have a good visit this weekend to Marquette.  The typical stuff of getting a good idea of the school academically and how he fits with the players, coaches and style of play.  To me anyway, the basketball aspect is a strong positive with the conference affiliation, facilities and history and it may be a big plus that MU has made him the #1 priority, or so it seems, with one scholarship left and the need for a 4 or a 4/5.

2). The big question is where does Marquette sit with Zach compared to the likes of Florida,  Geogia Tech and West Virginia?  I'm not going to do any school analysis since this is Zach Auguste's decision and he and his family will have certain priorities  The one thing I will say is that the one school that hasn't set up an official visit with him that I know of, Florida, might be the team to beat. The question for Florida is if Billy Donovan can land a kid like Kyle Anderson or Mitch McGary as they are at the 13 man scholarship limit already for 2012-2013.  Anderson or McGary would make it 14, so a player would have to leave and with Anderson deciding early next week after a visit to Florida this coming weekend, we should know more about Florida's intentions with Zach in a week.

This is a big recruit for MU and we haven't done well with these lately when we've had to go against the big boys.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:48:25 PM by TedBaxter »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
I have to wonder how attractive West Virginia would be to Auguste.  They signed 3 Power forwards and a center last year and have a verbal from a PF already this year.

At Marquette with Crowder leaving there are aton of minutes if not a starting opportunity immediately available with the departure of Crowder. 

Alot of other factors involved in making a decison but in the category of immediate available playing time Marquette is atremendous opportunity. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
Two keys for the Zach Auguste recruiting right now.

1). The obvious is to have a good visit this weekend to Marquette.  The typical stuff of getting a good idea of the school academically and how he fits with the players, coaches and style of play.  To me anyway, the basketball aspect is a strong positive with the conference affiliation, facilities and history and it may be a big plus that MU has made him the #1 priority, or so it seems, with one scholarship left and the need for a 4 or a 4/5.

2). The big question is where does Marquette sit with Zach compared to the likes of Florida,  Geogia Tech and West Virginia?  I'm not going to do any school analysis since this is Zach Auguste's decision and he and his family will have certain priorities  The one thing I will say is that the one school that hasn't set up an official visit with him that I know of, Florida, might be the team to beat. The question for Florida is if Billy Donovan can land a kid like Kyle Anderson or Mitch McGary as they are at the 13 man scholarship limit already for 2012-2013.  Anderson or McGary would make it 14, so a player would have to leave and with Anderson deciding early next week after a visit to Florida this coming weekend, we should know more about Florida's intentions with Zach in a week.

This is a big recruit for MU and we haven't done well with these lately when we've had to go against the big boys.

Like your analysis Ted - though we've beat Georgia Tech and WVU on recent recruits in Derrick Wilson and Mayo.  Florida....to me is the challenge like you mention.  They've been pounding Zach with their history of sending big guys to the NBA - Noah, David Lee, etc...and you can't argue that.  Think Donovan is a very good coach - but they haven't really performed very well the last 3-4 years.  There is no doubt Buzz will get the best out of a player's potential - and in trying to read between the lines - it seems Zach has a desire to play in the Big East.  Would love to see Zach in an MU uniform!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
There's been a study of commitments at D1 schools over the years.  The highest percentage of commits come just after either the first or last campus visit.  This is Zach's first visit so I like Buzz's chances.  Florida has not made him the priority that that the Marquette staff has.  Also New England has been pretty good hunting grounds for Buzz and COmpany.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
Wondering .. is Al's Run a recruiting positive?   It's a cool event, and MU does a nice job with hosting a party that morning .. then getting the players out, high-fiving 15,000 people.

If it's good weather, Wisconsin Ave. is a true spectacle, wall to wall people for a mile long parade.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
Al always said he wanted the first or last visit.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
Florida has 6-9 junior Erik Murphy, 6-9 sophomore Patric Young, 6-7 sophomore Will Yeguete, 6-9 redshirt freshman Cody Larson (ineligible right now) and 6-9 freshman Walter Pitchford.

Georgia Tech has 6-11 sophomore Daniel Miller, 6-10 sophomore Nate Hicks, 6-8 sophomore Kammeon Holsey and 6-7 freshman Julian Royal.

West Virginia has 6-9 Junior Deniz Kilicli, 6-8 junior Dominique Rutledge, 6-10 redshirt freshman Kevin Noreen, 6-11 freshman Pat Forsythe, 6-8 freshman Tommie McCune and 6-10 Aaric Murray, the LaSalle transfer who will be a junior in 2012-2013 after sitting out.  WVU also received a verbal from a 6-8 high school junior from Morgantown.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
Based upon Ted Baxter's post, I can see why some expect us to get him to commit, if the visit goes well.  I sure hope so, as it will be nice to focus on 2013 and 2014.. with a little recruitment of 2012 in case of a transfer.  Buzz has never had the luxury of having time to recruit and focus on a few guys instead of scrambling. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
Based upon Ted Baxter's post, I can see why some expect us to get him to commit, if the visit goes well.  I sure hope so, as it will be nice to focus on 2013 and 2014.. with a little recruitment of 2012 in case of a transfer.  Buzz has never had the luxury of having time to recruit and focus on a few guys instead of scrambling. 

I honestly don't think kids are often deterred from going to schools that have older players in front of them or recruits in the same class.  Most pick a school because of a number of different reasons and roster depth isn't always one of them and may not be for Zach Auguste as I mentioned in other posts.  Remember Trey McDonald last year and MU had the hammer spot in his recruiting as his last visit on Marquette Madness weekend.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Marquette will get the first crack at landing Auguste when they host him on the weekend of September 16th.

"I love Buzz Williams, his teams are just like him and play hard," said Auguste. "They are in the Big East which is good. I've built a great relationship with (Williams) and Aki Collins the assistant coach there."

The second planned visit is to West Virginia on the weekend of September 30th.

"West Virginia, they were 2010 Big East champs and that speaks for itself," said the four-star prospect. "Bob Huggins is a well known coach. They also have some big men that are leaving so there is room to play."

The next visit goes to Georgia Tech. The rambling wreck will host Auguste on the weekend of October 7th.

"Coach Brian Gregory is good, they are in the ACC which is also a great conference," said Auguste. "I've built a great relationship with them. He's a new coach who is trying to build the program and I could help him out."

Finally, there's the Florida Gators. A visit date hasn't been locked in just yet, but that should happen soon.

"Coach Billy Donovan, I've built a great relationship with his staff," said Auguste. "They are very well known for getting big men to the next level.

"The list of guys they've had goes on and on."

While he won't rule out the possibility of making a decision before finishing his visits, Auguste's plan is to make it all the way through the visit process.

He does, though, know what he's looking for and isn't afraid to pull the trigger once the feeling is right.

"The one that makes me feel the most at home," said Auguste of what he's looking for. "The place that I have the best relationship with the coaches and it seems right with the players. Just the whole atmosphere."

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
hope he enjoys the visit, would be a great get!

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266057

Florida hosting Kyle Anderson and Kansas City big man Willie Cauley this weekend.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
some people are saying Florida would be Auguste's choice but they aren't recruiting him as hard, I guess he may be a little bit farther down their list.  So lets hope they get  their targets.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
Why would anyone play for Billy Donovan after what he did to his entire recruiting class 3 or 4 years ago--the Jonathan Mitchell class. He told them all to leave after their 1st or 2nd year. I am uncertain but I believe the reason was competence, not discipline.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
Why would anyone play for Billy Donovan after what he did to his entire recruiting class 3 or 4 years ago--the Jonathan Mitchell class. He told them all to leave after their 1st or 2nd year. I am uncertain but I believe the reason was competence, not discipline.

2006 and 2007 would be a couple reasons for me

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »
"They are very well known for getting big men to the next level.  The list of guys they've had goes on and on."

...from Zach Auguste's own mouth
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
"They are very well known for getting big men to the next level.  The list of guys they've had goes on and on."

...from Zach Auguste's own mouth

Big, small, it really does not matter, if the kid has any talent, any coach can get the talent out of a talented player.  Wes, Zar and Jimmy all got to the pros because they worked hard but
really they all had talent.  If Auguste, wants to get to the pros, it will be up to him to do it, not Billy Donovan or Buzz.  Dominic had talent, was he to stubborn to learn how to shot the ball,
same with Vander.  Both have talent, but did they work hard enough to change there shooting techniques?

ken8406

• Starter

feedback