[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 Green Bay Packers Thread  (Read 134545 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: 2024 Green Bay Packers Thread
« Reply #3025 on: January 21, 2024, 11:31:25 AM »
Lots of draft capital and it should be mostly on defense save for a middle round RB and an OL, where you can never have enough. I could see like our response to Randy Moss, where our first 3 picks were secondary (only Mike McKenzie was any good)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3026 on: January 21, 2024, 11:47:01 AM »
Lots of draft capital and it should be mostly on defense save for a middle round RB and an OL, where you can never have enough. I could see like our response to Randy Moss, where our first 3 picks were secondary (only Mike McKenzie was any good)

The OL was the 2nd best unit in the NFL in allowing the fewest QB pressures. Jenkins and Tom are playing at pro bowl level, but I still think they use a 2nd to get another one. And as we saw with 5 consecutive 100 yard games by AJ, the run blocking was nothing to sneer at.

But we just saw a team with ZERO Pro Bowlers show that they were better than the top 2 seeds with a combined 16 of them.

Fire JBC and get a guy who coaches a more aggressive style. Then get rid of Carlson and get ready for a wide open window.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3027 on: January 21, 2024, 12:09:08 PM »
The OL was the 2nd best unit in the NFL in allowing the fewest QB pressures. Jenkins and Tom are playing at pro bowl level, but I still think they use a 2nd to get another one. And as we saw with 5 consecutive 100 yard games by AJ, the run blocking was nothing to sneer at.

But we just saw a team with ZERO Pro Bowlers show that they were better than the top 2 seeds with a combined 16 of them.

Fire JBC and get a guy who coaches a more aggressive style. Then get rid of Carlson and get ready for a wide open window.
The tell tale sign with Carlson is the 6 missed extra points. Bring in a lot of kickers and have a competition. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3028 on: January 21, 2024, 12:45:29 PM »
I won’t be surprised if 3 of the top 5 picks are in the secondary. 

They need to improve their tackling across the board.  The difference in tackling between them and the Niners was stark

I have no idea how the free agency market is shaping up for guys in the secondary, but the Packers will have the cap room to pursue expensive guys if they choose.  I hope they make a splash or two.  Drafting is so iffy whether they can play right away or ever.  And Packers have immediate needs everywhere in the secondary. Don’t be Ted Thompson and think the draft alone will solve it. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3029 on: January 21, 2024, 12:54:09 PM »
Outlook for Packers is promising. #10 on the job learning panned out second half of season. Love his potential for further growth. Also, even though he can run , he is focused on being a pocket passer. I think that will keep him healthy. Sime of these planned run QBs are really getting banged up

Solid young receivers and offensive line , in another year or two both groups could become excellent .

NFC North may end up as toughest divison in league next year .

Could be.  Packers and Lions are playoff teams with young difference makers on both sides of the ball.  The Bears are loaded with high draft capital and improved a lot the 2nd half.  Looks like Minnesota is in for a rebuild, but division is getting better no question. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3030 on: January 21, 2024, 01:00:13 PM »
Could be.  Packers and Lions are playoff teams with young difference makers on both sides of the ball.  The Bears are loaded with high draft capital and improved a lot the 2nd half.  Looks like Minnesota is in for a rebuild, but division is getting better no question.

Antoine Winfield, L’Jarius Sneed, Kendall Fuller, Kyle Dugger and Kam Curl top secondary FA’s.

Lot of edge rushers available depending on franchise tags
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3031 on: January 24, 2024, 08:29:38 AM »
Joe Barry dumped

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3032 on: January 24, 2024, 08:34:42 AM »
Truly surprised.

The philosophical direction is going to be interesting to see where they go. Wonder if they will take another look at Jim Leonhard? That will be a different style.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3033 on: January 24, 2024, 08:45:22 AM »
Truly surprised.

The philosophical direction is going to be interesting to see where they go. Wonder if they will take another look at Jim Leonhard? That will be a different style.

No, I’d rather hire a DC that hasn’t cut his teeth playing the Big Ten West

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3034 on: January 24, 2024, 09:49:49 AM »
No, I’d rather hire a DC that hasn’t cut his teeth playing the Big Ten West

That's exactly what I said to my friend.  And while he had some great defenses in the past, his more recent defenses weren't nearly as dominant.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3035 on: January 24, 2024, 09:57:20 AM »
That's exactly what I said to my friend.  And while he had some great defenses in the past, his more recent defenses weren't nearly as dominant.

The Wisconsin meathead association lead by the sports talk maroons will undoubtedly push him as a candidate but I sure hope it’s not him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3036 on: January 24, 2024, 10:21:12 AM »
The time to hire Leonhard was at his peak when buzz was high and people thought he could get the UW job...not when he spent the last season as an analyst for Bielema.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3037 on: January 24, 2024, 10:22:19 AM »
How about Ejiro Evero, assuming he doesn't get the Panthers head job?  He's only been a defensive coordinator for two years, but one was Denver's in 2022 which was T-10, and last year the Panthers were 4th in the league in yards against (4th worst in points against, but that's what happens when you have a -9 TO margin).  He has some experience in Green Bay under Dom Capers, and coached the Super Bowl Rams' secondary.  He's only 43 and would seem to fit in well with the young staff age-wise.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3038 on: January 24, 2024, 10:28:23 AM »

Oh I agree. I was just wondering if that would happen. The other name the locals will push is Al Harris.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3039 on: January 24, 2024, 10:32:37 AM »
How about Ejiro Evero, assuming he doesn't get the Panthers head job?  He's only been a defensive coordinator for two years, but one was Denver's in 2022 which was T-10, and last year the Panthers were 4th in the league in yards against (4th worst in points against, but that's what happens when you have a -9 TO margin).  He has some experience in Green Bay under Dom Capers, and coached the Super Bowl Rams' secondary.  He's only 43 and would seem to fit in well with the young staff age-wise.

Choice number 1 for me.  Can be talked into Marquand Manuel

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3040 on: January 24, 2024, 10:35:59 AM »
Oh I agree. I was just wondering if that would happen. The other name the locals will push is Al Harris.

Yup.  And I hope they pass on him too.

Wink Martindale is probably my top choice.  Evero wouldn't be bad either.  Staley was very good as a DC, but not HC.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3041 on: January 24, 2024, 10:43:29 AM »

Wink Martindale is probably my top choice.  Evero wouldn't be bad either.  Staley was very good as a DC, but not HC.

If they want a college guy, hire Jesse Minter from Michigan over Leonhard

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3042 on: January 24, 2024, 11:23:17 AM »
If they want a college guy, hire Jesse Minter from Michigan over Leonhard

I worry about him because Michigan has more NFL players on their roster (IMO) than any team in the NCAA. was it talent or was it coaching?

I would be good with Evero, Martindale, or even Ryan.

My big complaint was lack of aggressiveness under JBC and I think these guys would bring that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3044 on: January 24, 2024, 11:30:35 AM »
I worry about him because Michigan has more NFL players on their roster (IMO) than any team in the NCAA. was it talent or was it coaching?

My big complaint was lack of aggressiveness under JBC and I think these guys would bring that.

He wouldn’t be in my top choices but if they went that route, he’s the first call.

I want an NFL guy

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3045 on: January 24, 2024, 11:35:58 AM »
Choice number 1 for me.  Can be talked into Marquand Manuel

There's a throwback name. I just checked his wikipedia and he's one of 19(!!!) children. Wowza.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3046 on: January 24, 2024, 12:29:10 PM »

Was Staley a good DC, or did he just take over a fantastic system and personnel group assembled by Wade Phillips and manage to not f--- it up for a year?
His Charger defenses - of which he was the playcaller - were consistently bad despite being loaded with talent.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:34:39 PM by Pakuni »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3047 on: January 24, 2024, 12:56:38 PM »

Evero would cost a crap ton of money and would be a risk to leave for a HC position every year. That's of course a good problem to have.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3048 on: January 24, 2024, 01:07:18 PM »

A little old (90) but if he can recapture the magic of Tic-Tac-Dough he would be special.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3049 on: January 24, 2024, 01:37:31 PM »
Evero would cost a crap ton of money and would be a risk to leave for a HC position every year. That's of course a good problem to have.

To a high revenue team like GB, this is where you should create separation from peers.  No salary cap for coaches.  The Packers should be an SEC school --- a lot of millionaires on staff.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback